Chapter 6

Bodyguard

Hi guys. Guess what? KAISOO :)

I hope this is ok. I've not tried writing Kaisoo before, and yh. Anyway, I decided to write this whilst I try to work out how to proceed with the plot of the main fic. I know a vague outline of what I want to do, it's just.... hard. XD

Ok, I hope you enjoy :)


Jongin’s POV

“” I mutter, stalking down the corridor and rubbing the sore bruise on my jaw as I ignore the fresh cuts on my knuckles and turn left. I flip my blonde hair so that it lies more on my face as I turn into the corridor and keep my head down, planning to hide the fact that I’d obviously been fighting as I go past the head master’s office.

Suddenly I see the door open about five meters away from me and I slow down to a snail pace, waiting to see who will come out.

A boy walks out followed by who I assume are his parents. I feel jealousy burning inside me as I observe their smiling faces. The parents are holding hands and they all laugh happily as they thank the head master and say good bye.

They turn towards me and I force my feet to move forward. I get my first look at the boy and I’m surprised to see that he looks about my age; I’d previously thought he was younger due to his height being slightly on the short side.

The most obvious thing about his appearance is his huge eyes; they’re stunning. His hair is red and his clothes accentuate his gorgeous figure. Overall he looks breathtaking. And I hate him for it. I speed up, glaring at him as I walk past, watching his eyes widen impossibly more as we make eye contact, but surprisingly I feel no satisfaction at shocking him.

I glare at the sky when I reach the main entrance; rain is pelting down and I swear to myself, cursing my luck at having to get to the bus stop in this.

I reach into my bag, pulling out my black hoodie and shoving it on. I pull up my hood and fumble around inside the neck of the hoodie before finding my ear phones and shoving them in. I press play, turning my angry music up loud and I step out into the downpour, making a beeline for the bus stop.

 

I push my key into the lock and push the door open before stepping inside and trying to shake some of the water off myself. The words “I’m home” are on the tip of my tongue when I hear the yelling coming from the lounge and I feel the familiar fury rise up inside as I roll my eyes angrily.

Stalking into the kitchen I grab an instant noodle pot and some chopsticks; I have a kettle in my room for the water as this is a regular occurence.

I head to the door of the lounge and slam it open, it bangs against the wall of the room, catching the attention of my parents, both red faced and frozen in the process of screaming at each other.

“I’ve got food. Don’t disturb me; I don’t want to see either of you.” I snap.

I turn on my heel and storm up the stairs, ignoring their voices calling after me. I slam the door to my room behind me, chuck the food on my bed and tug off my soaked clothes, dumping them on the floor in the corner and switching on the kettle before clambering into bed to warm up.

I wait expectantly and sure enough within minutes the shouting starts up again, now both blaming each other for making me feel like this. Plugging my Ipod into my speakers I turn the volume up loud and drown out their angry voices.

My mind flicks back to the boy I saw in the corridor and I glare at the ceiling, resenting the feeling of jealousy that floods through me again at the thought of their happy little family.

I snatch up the noodles and pour in the water before leaning over to turn on my play station. Shoving in my new game; Resident evil 6, I stir the noodles as I set up the game. As I select the online co-op option, I start slurping the noodles as fast as I can without completely scorching my mouth.

Just as I finish eating, a notification pops up telling me that Sehun is online and I join him in a game, trying to force out thoughts of the things going on in my life right now and concentrating solely on beating Sehun’s score.

 

Monday morning is just as bad as ever, and as I wake up to the sound of my alarm going off, with a throbbing hangover, I contemplate just going back to sleep. The thought of putting up with my parent’s constant fighting prompts me to drag myself out of bed and I put the kettle on for a coffee as I head to the bathroom for a quick, hot shower.

I feel my muscles relax as the hot water washes over me and try to ignore the pounding in my head.

I drink my coffee as I fling on clothes and check my reflection half heartedly in the mirror before downing the rest of the coffee and heading downstairs to grab a cereal bar for breakfast; I’d demanded that my dad bought them when he did the shopping.

My main reason for wanting these was to enable me to get out of the house as fast as possible in the mornings and thus minimise the amount of time I had to spend around my parents; it’s just too painful to hear the comments that they toss at each other in the morning, each one reminding me that my world is crumbling around me.

When divorce was brought up a few years ago it was no surprise to anyone, least of all me. I don’t understand why they’re still together. I think it’s because they’ve got high positions in society so they don’t want to show weakness. They act all perfect outside the house, but once inside they’re like vicious wild animals. I just wish they would do something, anything, to make the house feel like less of a battleground.

 

I trudge into first lesson, just as the bell goes, and head to my seat at the back of the class, head down and not bothering to look at anyone. I slump down in the chair and rest my head on my arms on the desk. Closing my eyes I attempt to catch up on some of the sleep I’ve lost and maybe beat this headache.

About thirty minutes into the lesson I feel a light prod on my arm. I proceed to ignore it until I feel a prod again, this time harder, and lift my head to glare at the idiot who’s disturbing me.

My eyes widen involuntarily as I recognise him as the boy I saw in the corridor. I don’t get to stare long as I hear the teacher’s voice, “Thank you Kyungsoo.” Kyungsoo? So that’s his name.”

“Jongin,” he says and I turn my head to look at him. He gestures to the sum on the board, “seeing as you obviously feel that this class is a waste of your time, I assume you can demonstrate to us how to do this problem.”

I stare at him silently for a moment until he motions for me to come to the front, holding out the pen to me. I swear in my head and force myself to stand up, wincing as the movement causes my head to throb. I walk slowly to the front of the classroom and take the pen from the teacher. Standing in front of the board I feel a sudden urge to prove myself to the new kid, Kyungsoo, who has everything that I want.

For once I actually read the question and step forward, raising the pen to the board. Maths is the one subject that comes naturally to me, and for once, I don’t pretend not to care in order to maintain my reputation, but I read the question and try to decide the most logical method of solving it. In my mind I see the path forming to the solution and begin writing. I fuel my frustration into answering the problem.

As I concentrate, I can vaguely hear people murmuring in the background, probably about the fact that I’m actually bothering to work. I ignore them as I suddenly get stuck half way through something. I pause, staring at my working so far, then grin as I notice something in the algebra, and continue scribbling quickly.

A few minutes later I step back, satisfied. Glancing back up to the question, I see that it was worth 12 marks and feel a strange sense of pride at having actually worked through a question like that for the first time. Usually I decide I don’t give a crap half way through, or before I even start it.

Reality seeps back in and I snap my head towards the professor. “Did I get it right?” I ask quietly.

He stares back at me, looking shell shocked that I actually have a brain and nods robotically. I allow myself a small smile in satisfaction and hand the pen back to him.

I ignore the curious stares of the other students as I head back to my seat where I proceed to go back to sleep.

 

Three long, boring lessons later I walk into the canteen at lunch time. I quickly order my food and head to my usual table in the corner where I can see Chanyeol, Kris, Sehun and Xiumin eating already.

On my way, I glance to my left as I navigate through people, and notice familiar red hair sitting at a table in the centre of the room. Kyungsoo is surrounded by people and is chatting happily.

I turn away, feeling a wave of jealousy once again as I see his ease at becoming popular and making friends, and push aside the fact that for some reason I’m angrier at the people he’s with than at him, sitting down to eat.

As I eat, I can’t help but glance at him occasionally, ok, I glance at him a lot. I decide that this must be because he’s new and interesting.

I engage in conversation with Sehun to push thoughts of Kyungsoo out of my head.

 

The next day, after maths, my teacher pulls me aside and sits me down for a talk. I sigh in irritation; I’d wanted to get to the canteen so that I could watch Kyungsoo, I mean, so that I could eat. Obviously.

He ignores my rudeness and sits down opposite me.

Expecting the normal crap about how I’m not working hard enough, blah blah blah, I’m surprised when he informs me of a maths scholarship to a high profile University.

I look at him as though he’s crazy and he leans back, face serious. “Jongin. I know you have a reputation as someone who just comes to school, sleeps through lessons, and passes the time by fighting and causing trouble,” my eyes widen slightly at his blunt words, “but you’re not stupid. In fact you’re smart, very smart.”

He leans forward, focusing my attention at him, “that sum that I wrote on the board yesterday was for a topic that we have not even touched upon yet. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

I look at him silently, understanding perfectly but not bothering to reply.

“You sleep through my lessons, never bother with the work I set in class or at home, and yet you answered that question yesterday perfectly on a topic I’ve never even mention to you. You have potential Jongin, so much potential, and I want to help you explore that talent. That’s why I’ve decided to offer you extra coaching after school to help you get back on track and then get ahead. You have the right sort of brain to win that scholarship Jongin, then think of how many doors will be open to you. Think it over Jongin, and then let me know.”

When he’s finished talking, I stand, grabbing my bag and slinging it over my shoulders before saying “I’m not interested.”

I walk past him and turn to the door where I freeze in surprise as I come face to face with a wide eyed Kyungsoo. I walk past him, forcing him out of the way and glaring at him, as I’m filled with irritation with the fact that he caused my heart rate to speed up the moment I saw him.

 

Sitting at lunch with the others, I decide that my obsession with Kyungsoo must be because I’m jealous and don’t like him. Right? Why else would I be thinking about him constantly?

As I’m shoving food into my mouth I hear the most beautiful laugh I’ve ever heard. Turning, I see Kyungsoo at his normal table, laughing with his friends over some joke that's been told. Unable to tear my eyes away, I watch as his eyes shine with amusement and he throws his head back, laughing again. That is the most beautiful sight I’ve ever seen.

Chanyeol’s voice breaks through my focus and I snap my head towards him as he calls my name.

What the hell was that about?!? I ask myself, internally freaking out. Why would I think he’s beautiful?

“JONGIN!”

I jump, looking up at Chanyeol’s irritated face.

“What the hell man?” he asks, “why are you so distracted.”

I look at him blankly before shrugging and he leans forward, trying to see where I’d been looking.

“Oh, you were looking at Kyungsoo?” he asks.

My mind goes blank as I try to think of some excuse or something other than the thought that’s floating around in my mind; he’s beautiful, which wouldn’t go down well.

“So you were listening then,” he says, leaning back and I look down, trying to cover up my bewilderment.

“So, what do you think?” he asks, “do you think we should make him our next target? I think his face could definitely use one of our makeovers.”

I snap my gaze up to him, understanding crashing down on me and I feel anger swell up in me and I try to control my emotions as I feel suddenly, inexplicably protective of Kyungsoo. By makeover, he means rearranging his face using our fists.

He’s perfect already, my mind oh so usefully supplies.

I shake my head, pushing the crazy thought away and try to think quickly.

“Are you insane?” I say, filling my voice with scorn. “Why would we pick someone so popular? We wouldn’t be able to get near him.”

I mentally scramble to come up with a convincing argument. “He’d never be alone and I’ve heard that his parents are just as important as ours.”

I shrug trying to look nonchalant. “Anyway, it’s more fun to pick someone more vulnerable don’t you think?”

Chanyeol shrugs and rests his head on his hand. “Whatever. Who do you want to pick then?”

I fight not to sag in relief too obviously. My heart was beating like crazy through that short exchange and I try not to think about why that might be.

Kris leans across Chanyeol and says, “I don’t really care who we pick, I just want someone to hit.”

I nod and look away, feeling a fresh wave of relief that I’ve saved Kyungsoo from Kris. Since Tao went back to China a while ago, Kris has been much more violent, if that’s possible; he’s constantly looking for a fight. I guess it’s because he’s lost his punching bag or something.

 

That afternoon, after school, I lie on my bed staring at the ceiling. I’m trying and failing to force Kyungsoo out of my mind. I don’t understand why he’s constantly invading my thoughts.

I find myself watching him in lessons, which sounds creepier than it actually is I swear, and I know the different expressions he makes when he’s happy or sad; I can picture the little frown that forms on his face when he’s struggling with a particularly hard maths question and the way his face lights up when he laughs.

I roll over and let my breath out in a huff, this is crazy. What the hell is wrong with me?

 

It’s Thursday, two days since that day when my maths teacher brought up the scholarship. To tell the truth, it sound’s interesting and spending time in school doing maths has got to be better than being at home, but it just sounds like too much work.

What’s the point in putting in loads of effort if the outcome’s still going to be the same? When I finish my education I’ll get a job at my father’s business, work my way up to the top, and then eventually take over from my father. It doesn’t really matter what college I go to, I’ll still end up in the same place eventually.

I remember the nervous expression on Kyungsoo’s face when I’d stormed out past him, and then berate myself for thinking about him again. I flop back onto my back, letting out a groan before deciding to simply go shower and then go to sleep. Maybe after a good night's rest these weird thoughts will stop.

 

I’m standing at my locker the next day, grabbing my books for the lessons after lunch, when I hear Kyungsoo’s name mentioned by the girl at the locker next to me.

“I think he likes me” she says happily to her friend. “I’m going to ask him out.”

Her friend laughs, saying, “you go get him girl! I think he likes you too.”

The walk off laughing together and I stand there unable to move. It feels as though someone’s just poured a bucket of ice water over me.

After a moment I try to break through the sudden layer of emotion that’s fallen over me and swallow hard, trying to clear the strange tightness in my throat.

So what if she asks him out? I try telling myself. I don’t care, right? He can date who he wants. Anyway, he wouldn’t say yes….would he?

For the rest of the day my thoughts are fixed on that question. I can’t think straight, can’t focus on anything, and eventually even my best friend Sehun gives up trying to talk to me.

 

At the end of the day I head to the side of school, taking a little known shortcut to the main road and the bus stop, just turning the second corner when I spot two figures up ahead. I vaguely recognise the girl, but I definitely recognise the boy.

I watch as Kyungsoo says something and the girl ducks her head shyly before speaking. So this is it then, I think with a horrible sense of finality as I realise she’s the girl from earlier. Kyungsoo will accept her and it will all be over.

I’m watching intently, trying to make out Kyungsoo’s reaction, when suddenly his gaze turns in my direction. We make short lived eye contact before I turn and run away from there as fast as I can.

I don’t bother with the bus; I push myself as fast as I can go, feeling the burn in my muscles and lungs as I sprint home. I focus on the discomfort and the fatigue and try to push Kyungsoo out of my mind. It begins to rain but I continue running regardless, the rain soaking my hair, making it stick to my forehead and forcing me to brush water out of my eyes as the rain drenches my face.

 

That night I lie awake, tormented by thoughts of Kyungsoo with that girl. What if he said yes? Then I’d have to go to school everyday and see them together. It hurts, I realise, that idea actually hurts. That’s when it hits me, like a freight train.

Holy crap I like him.

I sit up in bed suddenly and wince as the blood rush to my brain makes me dizzy. Does this mean I’m gay? This means I’m gay doesn’t it. Holy …

It’s safe to say I don’t get much sleep.

 

I drag myself out of bed the next morning. It’s a Friday and I have something I want to do before the weekend in order to give myself two days off to recover if it goes badly.

For once I actually pay attention to my appearance, I check that my uniform’s clean and looks nice and spend a bit of time on my hair, brushing it through and making sure it’s not a complete state. In the end I have to run for the bus and eat my breakfast when I get there.

I manage to somehow get through my first few lessons which happen to have no Kyungsoo in, and then nervously head to the canteen. This is where I get my answers.

I duck my head as I walk in, hoping to hide any reaction I have to what I find. I look up through my fringe at Kyungsoo’s normal spot; there he is, looking as gorgeous as ever. I scan around him quickly but she’s not there so I head towards the section where they’re serving the food, surreptitiously glancing around the room.

Finally my gaze lands on a table full of girls, there she is, I think as relief floods through me, hitting me so hard that my knees almost give out.

I can’t be sure yet, I remind myself, they could just be eating separately or even keeping it a secret.

I grab my tray of food, don’t ask me what is on it I haven’t a clue, and head towards my normal table. I take a slightly different route to normal, planning on passing by the table where she is sat.

As I get closer, I slow down slightly and watch as one of her friends puts their arm around her gently. “It’s ok honey,” she says, “at least you confessed to him. If you hadn’t you’d never have known and you would have regretted not telling him.”

I send up a prayer of thanks for my impeccable timing and practically bounce over to my table. I’m so happy right now I fear I might be crazy. Then I remind myself that just because he rejected her, doesn’t mean he’ll accept me; this calms me down slightly and I manage to exert enough self control that I avoid making anyone else think I’m completely insane with my sudden cheer.

I wolf down my lunch, check that Kyungsoo’s still there, and then head off, walking quickly down the corridor to Kyungsoo’s locker, glad that everyone’s still in the canteen and that it’s in a corridor that’s currently empty of people.

I glance around quickly before opening the locker, checking the names on the books inside to ensure I have the right locker, and then quickly put my envelope inside.

Last lesson drags and I spend the whole time wrapped up in my thoughts, wondering whether he’s seen it yet or not, wondering what he’ll do if he reads it.

When the bell for the end of the day finally goes, I leap out of my seat and start packing my bag. I stand up and head for the door and that’s when the nerves kick in. Badly.

I head for the toilets and spend a few moments leaning against the sink, staring at myself in the reflection. I have to do this. Not only do I know that if I don’t I will simply continue to be tormented by these feelings, but I’m also very aware right now that I’ve given Kyungsoo the note and that he might be waiting for me.

Finally I push myself upright and straighten my shoulders before turning and heading for the stairs that lead to the roof. As I reach the stairs I have a quick flash back to that final day, when I watched Kris and Chanyeol dragging Tao along the corridor towards these stairs, and I'm suddenly filled with shame.

As I climb the stairs, however, my nerves increase significantly. I shake my head, clearing my thoughts. I hope that one day I can deal with that aspect of my past, but right now I have something in the present to do.

I take a deep breath and lean my forehead against the door for a moment before pushing it open. As I step through, onto the roof, I scan the area, and then I see him. He’s leaning against the far wall, staring off into the distance and I have a nice view of his profile.

I force my feet to move forward as I fight the sudden urge to turn and run. As I get close he senses my presence and turns to face me. His eyes widen as he sees who it is. He glances behind me as if expecting to see the others too and I feel a twinge of regret that I’m the sort of person he’d expect to be beaten up by.

“You came,” I say softly, drawing his gaze to my face. “I wasn’t sure if you would.”

He looks at me silently for a moment before holding up the envelope. “You put this there?” He asks, “In my locker?”

I swallow nervously before nodding.

He stares at me for a moment before asking “Jongin? What did you want to talk to me about?” he asks.

I feel a thrill go through me as he speaks my name in his beautiful voice. I step closer and watch as his eyes narrow slightly, brow furrowing in the same way it does when he’s solving a maths sum.

“I have a request.” I say, trying to mask the nerves in my voice.

He raises his eyebrows slightly but nods.

“I…” I hesitate. Am I really going to do this? This will change everything. I clear my throat before trying again.

“Kyungsoo… Can I kiss you?”

Well that came out differently to what I planned. I watch as his eyes widen impressively and his mouth falls open in surprise. I edge closer and, when he doesn’t pull away, press my lips lightly to his, then pull back slightly, checking his expression. Satisfied that he doesn’t look like he’s about to scream and run away, I kiss him harder. His lips taste amazing and, it sounds cheesy I know, but they feel so soft, like velvet or something.

I’m just thinking that this can’t get any better; I mean here I am kissing Kyungsoo, and then I feel it. Kyungsoo’s kissing me back. It’s like the world ignites around me. I reach out, placing one hand on the back of his neck, tilting his head up at a better angle, and placing the other hand on his waist, pulling us closer. I move us, backing him up until his back is against the wall and he moans slightly, hands in my t-shirt, as I brush my tongue against his.

Eventually we have to pause for breath and I rest my forehead against his, listening to us panting.

“Kyungsoo?” I say, “can I ask you another question?”

“Mhhmm” he says, nodding, and I bite back a smile as our foreheads rub together.

“Will you be my boyfriend?”

He pulls back, staring into my eyes, and I admire the sight of his ravaged appearance as I wait for his answer. His hair is all over the place, his lips are swollen and his cheeks are slightly flushed. He looks stunning.

He smiles, and I watch his lips move as he whispers “yes I will.”

A huge smile forms on my face and I move in to kiss him again. I’m taken by surprise when he gives me a tug, turning us around and pushing me against the wall. He reaches up and fists his hand in my hair, pulling my head down, before attacking my mouth with his. I gasp in surprise, inadvertently giving him access and he takes his turn, pushing into my mouth. I relax against the wall, pulling him closer with a hand around his waist, and allow myself to revel in this feeling. This feeling of pure bliss.

 

We decide to keep it secret for a while whilst we test our friends to try and gage their opinions on homouality. It’s a lot harder than I thought it would be. Every day, I have to sit in the canteen, talking rubbish with the guys, the whole time, tormented by the knowledge that I could be with Kyungsoo who’s barely fifteen metres away.

I glance over to the table where he’s sat and frown as I watch some guy stroll up, greeting everyone and slinging his arm over my Kyungsoo’s shoulders. I clench my fists under the table, and take subtle deep breaths, forcing myself to look away as I try to control my anger and jealousy.

It’s so frustrating that some random guy can do that but I can’t even talk to him and I’m his freaking boyfriend. That’s when I make the decision. I know I can defend Kyungsoo from my friends, and I don’t think his friends are homophobic.

I grab my bag and stand up, slinging it over my shoulder. Ignoring the questioning voices of the guys at my table, I walk towards Kyungsoo’s table. I know he would support this decision. I know I’m not the only one who’s been getting jealous, and I also have a feeling that he agreed to this secrecy simply because I asked for it.

I push all thoughts of what this will do to the friendships I left behind at my table out of my mind and head straight for Kyungsoo. I’m glad it’s a Friday, at least that gives people two days off school to recover from what I’m about to do.

He looks up, straight at me, as I walk towards him. We have a silent exchange, his eyes widening slightly as he tilts his head to the side questioningly. I nod slightly and he nods back, accepting my decision. I shoot a glare at the arm still resting on his shoulders and he pushes it off without even giving it a thought, which is satisfying.

He stands up and walks around the table to meet me half way, and I’m acutely aware of all the people who are now staring at us in confusion and curiosity.

We stand barely a foot apart, staring into each other’s eyes and I push all thoughts of others to the back of my mind as I reach out, snaking my arms around his waist and declaring “mine” before crashing our lips together in a heated kiss. He melts into my touch and smiles into the kiss and I know that I made the right decision.

The silent room erupts into a frenzy of noise, some people cheering, some shouting, some crying and some screaming. I pull back and look at him smiling as he smirks smugly at the reaction we caused. “Oops.” He says. I chuckle and reach past him, grabbing his bag, before lacing our fingers together and leading him out of the canteen to go somewhere where we can be alone.

 

“Jongin” Kyungsoo says, prodding my back. I roll over on the bed and snuggle into his chest. “Jongin, you should be working.” I groan and burrow deeper into his hoodie. He sighs, giving up and putting his work to one side.

“Jongin” he tries again, this time with a more serious tone. I mumble a reply and turn my head on his chest so he can see my face. “I’ve been thinking” he continues. “You should try for that scholarship.” I look at him blankly. “You know, the maths one.”

I crinkle my nose up in distaste. “Why?” I ask.

He glances away shyly, cheeks flushing a little, unable to meet my eyes. “Because that scholarship is for the University I’m applying to, and I want to go to Uni with you.”

My eyes widen and I stare up at him, suddenly filled with emotion. I pull him down and push him into the mattress, kissing him with a passion I haven’t felt before.

The next day I go to speak with my maths teacher. We arrange a schedule and I start studying hard for the first time in my life. Until now I’ve never had a reason important enough make me work. Now I do. Our future together is something worth working for.

 

 

Kyungsoo’s POV

I’m just leaving the Principal’s office with my parents, happy and excited after securing a place at this school, when I make eye contact with what must be the most beautiful boy I’ve ever seen. His skin is darker than most; tanned, and his hair is a bright blonde. The two opposites combine to make a surprisingly stunning result.

When I meet his eyes, I draw another conclusion. Not only is he the most beautiful boy I’ve ever seen, he’s the angriest looking boy I’ve ever seen. My eyes widen in shock as he storms past me, glaring at me as he goes.

My parents reclaim my attention, telling me how proud they are of me for getting into this school. I grin at them, putting the mysterious boy out of my mind, and follow them out of the school to the car. It’s pouring with rain so my dad runs to get the car, driving it round the building to us.

As I run to it and climb in I find myself wondering if that blonde boy has a lift home or if he has to go home in the rain.

 

The dreaded Monday morning finally arrives and I roll out of bed, stomach fluttering with nerves at the thought of my first day at a new school. I check my appearance repeatedly as I rush around my room grabbing my bag and phone. I fix my hair one last time before heading down to breakfast.

My parents are already at the table and my mum stands up to look at me, eyes shining in pride. “Wow,” she says as she fusses with my collar. “You’re so handsome darling.”

I wriggle uncomfortably in her grip and she pulls me in for a quick hug before steering me to the table. “Sit down and I’ll get your breakfast.”

When I finish eating, I stand up and pick up my bag, ready to head to the bus stop. My dad gives me a quick hug before waving good bye.

“Remember”, he calls out, “just keep smiling and be friendly and everyone will love you.”

I nod, grateful for his encouragement and head up the driveway to the bus stop.

I sit on the bus, near the back and gaze out of the window. After about the third stop, the bus filling up, my eyes are caught by blonde hair. The boy gets on and, keeping his head down, face hidden slightly by his hoodie, he heads straight for a seat a few in front of me. I see people shooting him wary glances and realise that he must be the reason that those two seats were left empty. People were standing even when those seats were there.

I sit, pondering this for a few moments, and then my attention is grabbed by someone sitting down next to me. He greets me and I smile at him, remembering my dad’s advice. His name is Heechul and in the end, he invites me to hang out with him at lunch. I smile and nod, glad to have found someone so friendly, if slightly eccentric.

 

Thankfully I manage to find my first lesson on time and sit in a spare seat on the back row. I’d headed for the corner seat but someone had stopped me, saying “That’s Jongin’s seat. I wouldn’t sit there if I were you.”

I nod in thanks and sit down in the free adjacent seat. Conversation comes naturally to me and I chat comfortably with the people around me until the teacher walks in. I settle down to start working, knowing I’ll have to work hard to reach the same place as the rest of the students.

Just as I hear the bell ring I see, once again, the blonde boy. He walks in just on time and heads for the seat next to me.

Oh, so he’s Jongin then. I think. I get a quick glance at his face, seeing him wince when the teacher closes the door at the front of the room with a bang. I resist the urge to roll my eyes, hangover.

Jongin slumps down in his seat and promptly tries to go to sleep.

Throughout the lesson I can see the teacher getting more and more irritated with Jongin until; eventually, he calls out “Jongin!”

I glance over at Jongin’s sleeping form and then back at the teacher. “Jongin,” he calls out again. The class all turn to look at Jongin in the corner. I glance over at him and decide to try and save him from detention. I can hear people murmur around me in surprise when I reach out to Jongin and give him a soft prod on his arm. He shifts away from me but doesn’t get up.

I prod him a little harder and he finally lifts his head. He glares at me menacingly, then his eyes widen slightly. In recognition? I don’t know, but just then the teacher calls out and captures Jongin’s attention.

“Jongin,” he says and Jongin turns his head to look at him. He gestures to the sum on the board, “seeing as you obviously feel that this class is a waste of your time, I assume you can demonstrate to us how to do this problem.”

Jongin looks at him for a few seconds before standing up carefully, wincing, and then walking slowly to the front. I cringe in sympathy, imagining that his head must be throbbing.

He takes the pen from the teacher and stands staring at the sum for a few seconds. Just as I’m about to think he’ll say he can’t do it or can’t be bothered, he places the pen against the board and slowly starts solving the problem. I glance around the room quickly, observing the shock on people’s faces that he can actually do it, and assume that he’s the sort of guy that regularly sleeps through class and doesn’t work.

I return my gaze back to Jongin and watch as he gradually increases his rate of writing until he’s working through the sum at a fast angry pace.

He pauses suddenly, tense, and I stare in fascination as he remains frozen for a few seconds, staring at his work, before suddenly relaxing and raising his hand to continue working. I look through his working quickly and marvel at how logically he’s worked through the problem.

Finally, he steps back and reads through his work. People start murmuring again and he tenses slightly as though just becoming aware of our presence again. He turns and asks the teacher quietly, “am I right?” The teacher proceeds to stare at him in shock and nods silently.

I feel my heart skip a beat as a small smile forms on his face, the first time I’ve ever seen him smile, and he turns to return to his seat where he promptly goes right back to sleep again.

The teacher scrambles to continue the lesson and I sit there distracted. Eventually I push thoughts of Jongin to the side and try to start my work.

 

At the end of the lesson I stand up, eager to get out of there; maths was never my strongest subject, and pack my bags to head to English. I love languages, so naturally I’m looking forward to this lesson.

During the next few lessons that lead up to lunch time, I discover that I’m ahead in some subjects and behind in others. I walk into the canteen, hungry and with an aching head from working so hard. I grab food and turn, scanning the canteen awkwardly for a familiar face. I eventually spot Heechul who looks up as I approach and grins in welcome. He introduces me to his friends who give me small waves and smiles.

I sit down and begin eating. After about twenty minutes I find myself laughing along with everyone as Heechul starts acting up, impersonating one of the science teachers. I marvel at how quickly everyone welcomed me and grin as I continue watching Heechul, thankful that he’d invited me this morning.

Blonde hair catches my attention and I see Jongin making his way through the crowd to a table in the corner where four scary looking guys are eating. I’m unable to tear my eyes away as he sits and starts shovelling food into his mouth. He looks angry and I find myself wondering why seeing him look unhappy makes me feel unhappy.

Someone yells out next to me and I turn, immediately bursting into laughter as I see that Heechul has now landed in a shocked person’s lap after falling over his own feet. 

 

The next day I planned on asking for extra help with maths so I head back over to the classroom after dumping my bag in the canteen with Heechul. I open the door and freeze as I see Jongin sitting at a desk looking at the teacher as though he’s crazy. The teacher is sitting opposite him. They haven’t noticed me yet to I decide to wait, standing awkwardly.

“Jongin. I know you have a reputation as someone who just comes to school, sleeps through lessons and passes the time by fighting and causing trouble,” my eyebrows rise at the word ‘fighting’, “but you’re not stupid. In fact you’re smart, very smart.” He leans forward, forcing Jongin to look at him, “that sum that I wrote on the board yesterday was for a topic that we have not even touched upon yet. Do you understand what I’m saying?”

Jongin just looks at him, waiting for him to continue. “You sleep through my lessons, never bother with the work in class or at home, and yet you answered that question yesterday perfectly on a topic I’ve never even mentioned to you. You have potential Jongin. I want to help you explore that potential. That’s why I’ve decided to offer you extra coaching after school to help you get back on track and then get ahead. You have the right sort of brain to win that scholarship Jongin, then think of how many door will be open to you. Think it over, and then let me know.”

Jongin stands up as soon as the teacher has finished, grabbing his bag and slinging it over his shoulders before saying “I’m not interested.”

He walks past the teacher through the line of desks and turns to face the door, where I happen to be standing, frozen. He stops, eyes widening slightly when he sees me, then his eyes narrow and he stalks out past me.

I turn and watch him go, wondering what I’ve done to annoy him or if he’s just like that with everyone. When he’s gone I turn to the teacher who’s waiting for me to speak.

“I’m sorry for interrupting,” I say, “but I was wondering if I could possibly arrange for extra work or help or something to help me catch up with the work, because the syllabus at my previous school was different to here.”

The teacher smiles at me and beckons me over. As he rifles through a draw of books I pick up the courage to ask “which college is that scholarship for?”

He looks up at me in surprise before saying, “you heard that huh?” He sighs, and answers. My eyes widen; it’s the same college that I plan on going to.

“Jongin has a gift. I never even realised it before and I fear that if he doesn’t start working with it, it will go to waste.”

I nod and get lost in my thoughts as he hands me a book with a sheet of questions to do at home. “If you struggle with these, just ask and I will help you.”

I thank him and leave, heading to my locker to put the work away before going to get food.

 

Over the next few weeks I notice Jongin watching me quite a lot. Whenever I glance in his direction in the canteen I see him snap his head away and start eating quickly. In maths too I notice him watching me regularly in my peripheral vision. Focusing in maths is recently proving to be difficult as I spend the whole time wanting to pin him up against a wall.

As I collapse on my bed one night, after hearing a story about a fight the Jongin took part in two months ago, it occurs to me that maybe he’s planning to do something to me too. I sigh, hoping that’s not true. I’ve already realised that I’m thinking about him too much, and it’s pretty obvious to me what that means. I came to terms with the fact that I’m gay a long time ago.

 

The next day is Thursday and I’m in the toilets, in one of the alcoves washing my hands when I hear two people coming in. Hearing my name said in their cold voices, I freeze and shrink back in the alcove hiding myself.

“I still think Kyungsoo would be a great target this month,” says one guy. His voice is deep and husky and I recognise it as Chanyeol, the tall guy that eats with Jongin during lunch. My heart rate picks up as fear kicks in.

“I think so too,” says another voice that I can’t quite place but I have a feeling it’s Lay, one of their gang, “but Jongin wants us to leave him alone.” My eyes widen in shock and I feel my breath quicken even more. “Let’s just do what he says, there’s no point in upsetting him more, you know what he has to put up with at home. We don’t want him turning his anger on us.”

I hear Chanyeol grunt in agreement and can make out the sounds of them leaving the room. I sag down in relief, mind racing. What the hell was that?

After school I’m at my locker when a small touch on my arm prompts me to turn. I see a girl smiling shyly at me. I recognise her from one of my lessons. I think she sits near me in Geography but I can't remember her name. I smile asking “are you ok?”

She nods and asks if she can talk to me for a moment. I nod, grabbing my stuff and following her out the side of school. She leads me down a path I never knew was there, and after we pass the second corner, when I’m starting to get confused, she stops and turns to face me.

She hesitates slightly before saying nervously “I like you Kyungsoo. Will you go out with me?” She ducks her head shyly, waiting for my answer.

I resist the urge to bang my head against the wall for not noticing the signs in her behaviour on the way leading here that, looking back, made it pretty obvious she was going to do this. I glance around slightly, wishing there was an easy way to escape this situation.

As I look to the end of the path I notice a figure standing there, watching. The moment my eyes find his, he spins on his heels and disappears off quickly. The blonde hair tells me who it was. Jongin? What was he doing there?

My attention snaps back to the girl in front of me when she shifts her weight from one foot to the other. She still has her head down and I reach out to touch her arm softly. “I’m sorry,” I say, as she raises her gaze to my face. “I like somebody else.”

Her face falls, and I watch as she tries to mask her disappointment and sadness, and I feel terrible. There’s nothing else I could have done though, I know that. I like Jongin and I’m gay; there’s no way I could date her. I feel bad, so I walk her to the bus stop and just as I say goodbye it starts to rain. I wait under the bus shelter for my bus, hoping that Jongin is ok and isn't out in this.

 

The next day is a Friday and it goes by just like every other Friday. I have no lessons with Jongin today, but that still doesn’t stop me thinking about him. I see him for the first time at lunch time and I spot him just after he’s gone past a group of girls. I notice the girl from yesterday there and quickly avert my eyes from them to Jongin, afraid of giving the wrong impression.

Jongin is obviously in a happy mood, practically skipping over to his table. I feel my lips twitch into an involuntary smile as he plonks down his food, grinning at his friends who are obviously drawing the conclusion that he’s high or something.

After quickly finishing his food, he stands and heads out early. I wonder where he’s going, pushing down jealousy as I suddenly worry that he’s going to meet someone. Maybe the reason he's so happy is that someone asked him out.

 

Last lesson is chemistry and I've already done the work at my previous school, so I spend most of the time staring out of the window in boredom. I practically run to my locker when it ends, eager to get out of here. The moment I open it, my attention is caught by a blue envelope. It’s been placed on top of my books and has my name written on in slightly messy but cute handwriting.

Opening it curiously, I find a note inside. It reads:

“Dear Kyungsoo,

meet me on the roof of the south building after school.”

-J

J? The first name that pops into my head is Jongin, but I push that thought away. Why would he want to meet me? It’s probably another girl, I decide. I really don’t want a repeat of yesterday, but the thought of leaving someone up there waiting for me makes me cringe and I decide I have to go.

I quickly pack the stuff I need and then check the time, picking up my pace when I notice that ten minutes have passed since the end of last lesson, worried that I’ll be late and upset them.

Feeling nervous, I finally reach the roof, pushing open the door, and discover that there’s no one there. I guess they’re late.

I walk over to the edge and lean against the railings in the corner, near the wall to my left. I stare out over the school grounds curiously as I’ve never been up here before. It's a nice view, the sun is shining and I can see groups of people walking and laughing together as they leave.

After about five minutes have passes I hear footsteps approaching me. Turning, I feel my eyes widen as I see Jongin stop in front of me. I glance behind him, wondering if he’s alone or with his mates and I'm relieved to see he's alone. I guess what Chanyeol and Lay said in the toilets was true.

“You came” he says softly. I look back to his face. “I wasn’t sure if you would.”

I look at him silently for a moment, unsure what to make of the vulnerability and nerves I can see in his eyes. It's disarming and I struggle to keep my emotions off my face.

 “You put this there?” I ask, “In my locker?”

I see him swallow nervously before nodding shyly. I wait a moment to take this in before asking. “Jongin? What did you want to talk to me about?”

He steps closer to me, and my eyes narrow slightly, what's he doing?  The light is behind him, making his hair shine brightly and wish I wish I could run my fingers through his hair. It looks so soft from close up.

“I have a request.” He says, recapturing my attention.

I nod, trying to mask my surprise and failing.

“I…” he hesitates, clearing his throat before starting again. I force myself not to flail about at how cute he looks right now.

“Kyungsoo… Can I kiss you?”

My eyes widen and my mouth falls open in shock. I…. what? I think incoherently as I try to process what he’s just said.

He edges closer and I’m unable to move away.  He presses his lips to mine lightly and I nearly die at how gentle he is. I feel him pull back slightly and open my eyes to look at him. He seems to get more courage as I make no move to leave. He kisses me again, more urgently. His lips feel amazing against mine and I feel myself getting light headed.

I finally regain control of my body and kiss him back eagerly. He reaches out, placing one hand on the back of my neck, making me shiver. He turns my head up more towards him and places his other hand on my hip making my knees turn to jelly. He pushes me gently, moving me backwards until I feel the cold wall against my back. I love the gentle dominance he’s showing and am unable to hold back a quiet moan, holding tightly onto his t-shirt, as pushes his tongue into my mouth tentatively.

Eventually we have to pause for breath, I resist the urge to groan in annoyance at this, and he rests his forehead against mine.

“Kyungsoo” he says softly, in a voice slightly rough from emotion, “can I ask you another question?”

Unable to form coherent words I say, “Mmhmm” whilst nodding.

“Will you be my boyfriend?”

I pull away, staring into his eyes. He looks back at me, tracing his eyes all over my face. I smile up at him, resisting the urge to scream in delight, and whisper, “yes I will.”

His face lights up in the most breathtakingly beautiful smile I’ve ever seen and he leans in to kiss me again. Having none of that, I give him a tug, turning us around and pushing him against the wall. I reach up and fist my fingers in his hair, finally, pulling his head down, before kissing him ferociously.

He gasps in surprise and I take advantage of this, pushing my tongue into his mouth and tasting him. He leans back fully against the wall, pulling me flush against him with a hand around my waist.

I smile into the kiss, feeling overwhelmed with happiness. This is perfect.

 

Later on, as we lie side by side on the roof, staring up at the sky, he speaks up. I mask a wave of disappointment when he says we should keep this secret. “Okay,” I whisper.

He rolls over to look at me, reaching out to take my hand. “You know why right?” he asks softly. I nod a yes; I do. I know enough about his friends to know that he would have to put up with a lot of crap if they found out about us.

He sighs softly in relief before saying “there’s nothing more that I would like than to proclaim you as mine before the whole school,” I smile at him as he says this, enjoying that mental image a lot more than I’d like to admit. “But”, he continues, “We should wait a bit first, until we can predict how people will react. I don’t want to make you a target because of this.” I nod and pull him in for another kiss, determined to make the most of the time we can be together.

 

A week goes by and I’m getting more and more frustrated with everything. I resist the urge to attack his friend, Sehun, when I see him tackle Jongin in the corridor, pulling him in for a quick hug. I force myself to walk away, internally battling the jealousy building up, and head to the toilets to calm down.

Staring at my reflection, I take deep breaths and run my fingers through my hair in frustration. I glance to the left of my reflection and see Heechul coming up behind me. "What's wrong?" he asks, reaching for the tap to wash his hands. I shrug. "Love problems?"

I look at him sharply, wondering how he knows.

He laughs, seeing my wary expression and says "I can tell. You're constantly distracted and your practically glowing. Whoever you've found is definitely someone you should hold onto." He pats my shoulder before smiling and heading out. I smile back, watching him go.

Then the smile fades and I slump against the wall. How can I hold onto him when we can't even be seen in public? I grab my bag, muttering to myself. I don't know how much more of this I can take. I fix my hair quickly before walking out.

That day at lunch I’m sitting in my usual spot in the canteen, fighting against the invisible pull I can feel towards Jongin, who’s sitting at his table in the corner of the room with Sehun. I glance over at him and can instantly tell he’s feeling the same thing from his tense posture and fidgeting legs. This makes me feel slightly better but I can’t push away the frustration I’m feeling.

I try to concentrate on my food and a few minutes later an arm reaches around my shoulders. I glance up to see Heechul grinning down at me. He begins talking with everyone about some random prank he pulled on his chemistry teacher. I tune him out after a minute or so, looking away, straight into the eyes of Jongin.

He’s walking steadily towards me, staring right at me. My eyes widen and I tilt my head slightly, breathing faster and wondering if he’s about to do what I think he is. He nods slowly and I feel my heart rate pick up as I nod back, giving him the permission that I know he’d wait for.

He switches his gaze to the arm around my shoulder, glaring, and I stand up, pushing Heechul off. I don’t spare any attention to the confused voices behind me as I walk slowly around my side of the table to meet him.

We stop, facing each other, as people start staring, obviously wondering why the hell we’re even bothering to look at each other. We are so close, staring into each others eyes. I gaze at his face, finally seeing him up close again after what feels like forever. I feel a wave of happy emotion slam into me as he says, loud enough for everyone near us to hear; “mine”, before crashing his lips to mine in a heated kiss. I lean into him and smile against his lips, kissing him back just as fiercly.

The people around us go crazy. He pulls back, gazing at me, and I smirk proudly at the reaction we’ve caused. “Oops” I murmur, brushing his fringe gently off his face.

He laughs, the sound beautiful to my ears, and reaches past me to take my bag for me. He grabs my hand, lacing our fingers together and giving it a soft squeeze. I smile and follow him out of the canteen, ignoring the chaos around us.

 

“Jongin” I say, poking him gently. He rolls over on the bed and wriggles onto my chest. “Jongin, you should be working.” I say, trying to stay calm as I’m getting overwhelmed by how cute he acts when he’s sleepy.

He groans and pushes his face deeper into my hoodie. I sigh in surrender, chucking my work to the side. 

“Jongin” I try again, this time trying to sound more serious. He mumbles something incoherent and turns his head on my chest, revealing his face. His eyes are puffy from sleepiness and as he looks up at me, hair all fluffed up, I decide that it is the most adorable sight I have ever seen.

I force myself to focus and say “I’ve been thinking you should try for that scholarship.” I elaborate when I see his clueless expression. “You know? The maths one?”

His nose crinkles up cutely and he blinks up at me, obviously disliking this idea. “Why?” he asks, voice husky.

I turn away looking around my room, suddenly embarrassed and unable to look him in the eye. “Because that scholarship is for the University I’m planning on applying to, and I want to go to Uni with you.”

Glancing back to check his reaction, I see his eyes widen and wait nervously as he stares up at me.  His eyes fill with emotion and he pulls me down, rolling on top of me and kissing me with a passion I haven’t felt from him before. I kiss him back, wrapping my arms around his back.

 

The next day he tells me he’s been to speak with our maths teacher and my heart soars as I realise he wants to stay with me even then.

 


Ok, I know that was really cheesy in places and stuff, but I stayed up till like, 2am writing this so.... yh forgive my awkwardness, I was tired.

Also, that's the first time I've ever written a kiss scene or anything..... Hope it wasn't too wierd.

Love you guys <3