Memories

Some Things Never Change

Hello readers! I would like to thank everyone who subscribed! You guys are awesome! Enjoy this update~ 


Elle

That was so damn embarrassing! I can’t believe I almost got into a fight with Exo-K's friends! And I actually tried to hit one of them! Why can't I use my head before actually putting things into action?! I really have to fix this bad habit of mine. And also the one of speaking before thinking.

How on earth will I face them now? Exo-K are probably angry at me mistreating their band mates…

I don't remember the previous time I felt this embarrassed. I seriously feel like digging a hole and bury myself in it.

We got into Exo-K's apartment after Kai invited us in and I sat next to Sehun which was the furthest spot away from their six band mates.  

I can't look at anyone in the eye! Especially the panda dude…

Kris

"Okay, so  I can see there are a few things that need to be cleared up. First," I look at all the Exo-M members, "These two girls are not thieves. They are actually our close friends. We met them when we studied aboard in Canada."  

"What?! You studied in Canada? I never knew that!" said Tao. It's true, Exo-K never mentioned once that they used to go to school in Canada. To think we were in the same country before we debuted together haha!

"Haha yeah, we don't really mention that because the media and the fans would stir up some unnecessary trouble for us, so we never bring it up." said Suho.

"Anyways, we met Aemi and Elle because they were our neighbors.  Shortly after we moved into that apartment building, we met them, since they lived right next door." said Chanyeol.

"And I have to say you guys weren't the most quiet neighbors ever." said Elle.

"We know." said Sehun grinning. "At the same time, we discovered pretty soon that they recently transferred to our school. Long story short, it didn't take long for us to be close friends."

"Now, time for some explanation for Aemi and Elle. These six guys over here are the other half of Exo. We're not just 6; we're twelve in total. Us, we're the group Korean sub-group known as Exo-K. They're the Chinese sub-group known as Exo-M."

Aemi

Each Exo-M members introduced themselves to us. There was Xiumin, Luhan, Kris, Lay, Chen and Tao. Okay… Their names aren't that hard to remember! I think I'll name them right by the end of the day hehe.

"I still can't believe you guys didn't bother to Google Exo!" said Kai.

"Well, we did, but I only paid attention to you guys, since we know you haha. No offense to you guys!" I addressed to Exo-M.

"That's mean! How can you ignore us like that?" Tao pouted. Oh my. He's so much different from before. He actually acts cute!

"I'm sorry! I promise to listen to Exo-M's album tonight!" I smiled at him. In the beginning, the atmosphere with Exo-M was pretty awkward due the misunderstanding. After a while, it was okay. It turns out, they're all very friendly people! I don't know them super well yet, but I think we'll become great friends in a matter of time.

As for Elle… I think that's a different case. She doesn't talk much to them. Plus, some of them seem scared of her, but I'm sure they'll get along one day or another! Maybe it might take the whole summer, but they will surely get along! I just hope they'll notice Elle's warm side soon.

"I'm curious… Why does your name sound so Korean, yet you're not?" asked Tao.

"Haha, I get this question a lot. Well, my mom really liked the name Emi, but my dad liked Amy. They argued a lot on which name to choose, so in the end it became Aemi haha. My mom was really satisfied with this combination since it sounded Korean. She's really interested in Korean culture so yep, that's where my name comes from." I answered.

"What about you Elle? Is your name really this or is it short for something?" asked Luhan. I can tell he's trying to be friendly towards her by pulling her into this conversation. What a nice guy hehe. He seems very easygoing.

"It's just the suffix of my real name." she answered simply and politely.

"What’s your real name?" asked Lay.

"I don’t really like to use it," she shrugged. "So let's just stick with Elle."

"Sorry for making fun of your names before." apologized Lay and rubbed the back of his neck.

"It's alright, no harm was done." I smiled.

Tao

After talking to them for a while, I really like Aemi! She's so fun to have around! She'll be like the sister I never got!

As for Elle… All I can say is, she's not very talkative and has a cold appearance?

Kai

"You guys want to watch a movie while D.O. makes our lunch?" suggested Lay.

"Good idea!" we all said at the same time.

"You guys are so lazy… While you guys relax and watch TV, I have to cook a lunch for 14 people? Aish… Why do I have to be so nice and agree to do this?" said D.O.

"Fine, I'll help out then." said Chanyeol.

"Good. Could you help me get some extra plates in the storage room please? I don't think we have enough here to put food for so many people…" said D.O.

"Oh okay sure, now where did I put my keys…?" Chanyeol patted his pockets and looked around the room.

"Take my keys." I took them out and threw them to him. Okay, time to start the movie.

Aemi sat next to me while Tao on her left side. I swear, the maknae is trying to force her to become his sister haha. He's been talking non-stop to Aemi! I'm surprised she has the patience to answer all the questions he throws at her. Elle on the other hand, had to sit at the end of the couch, next to Lay, since it was the only space left.

Nobody was really paying attention to the movie, because after 20 minutes, Tao was still talking to Aemi.

"Yo Kai, catch!" Chanyeol threw my keys back at me, but Aemi caught them before I did.

She looked at my keys and a touched smile formed on her face.

"You still have this old thing?" she pointed at my keychain.

"This? Of course I would. Now why would I throw it away? I promised, well you forced me to promise to never take it off!" I pointed out.

"When you moved away to become a star, I thought you would have completely forgotten about all this and the ridiculous stuff we did together haha…" she joked, but I could detect a hint of sadness in her voice. She really thought I was going to forget her?

"Do you really think I would  forget?" I smirked.

-Flashback-

"Kai! Get over here!!" called Aemi.

"What now? I thought we were done shopping!" I complained.

"Come on! Just one more store! I promise this time!" she said.

"Why did I have to lose that bet with you?!" I mumbled.

"HEY! I won fair and square! So, be a man and it up! But seriously, last store!" she smiled and held out a pinky.

"ARG. Fine." I agreed and pinky swore with her.

We entered the store, and I was bored instantly. It's a girls' accessory store. God. I swear she's torturing me on purpose.  The cashier looked surprised when she saw me. I guess it's really rare to see guys in this shop.

If this was a normal clothing shop, I could have at least gone to the guy's section. But nooo! Aemi just had to drag me to an all girl's shop. Hello Kitty, bows, ribbons, pink, cute stuff. URG. Even the stuff with skulls on them looks cute! I hope she won't spend too much time here.

"Kai?" Aemi pulled on my jacket's sleeve.

"What now? Please don't tell me there's another store you want to go to?" I begged. I sound like I'm dying here haha…

"Of course not! We pinky-swore didn't we? I keep my word whenever I pinky swear with my friends!" she had a child-like smile.

"Aish… What do you want now then?" I asked.

"Could you wait for me outside the store please?" she asked.

"What? Why? It's snowing outside!!" I pointed at the window. It's super cold today! First she tortures me with an entire day of shopping, and now she wants me to freeze?! Aish…

"Don't worry it won't take long! I promise!" she pushed me to the door.

Damn… It's so cold!! I take a look at my phone, and it's been 15 minutes I've been waiting for her. Come on... Please come out soon!

"I'm sorry it took so long!" said Aemi coming out of the store with a small bag in her hands.

"I'm f-f-freezing!" I said shaking.

"Sorry!" she apologized. "I'll treat you to a cup of coffee! There's a Starbucks just over there!"

I know I should more gentleman-like and buy her drink for her, but it's her fault I'm half frozen right now! She went to buy while I sat at a table waiting for her.

The small bag stood still on the table and caught my curiosity. I wonder what she bought that made her take so much time to choose…

It won’t hurt to peek would it?

"Are you trying to peek at my stuff?" Aemi's voice startled me.

"N-No…" I looked away.

"Here's your drink. Don't look at my stuff just as you wish! You need my permission first!" she said.

"Okay… Sorry… And thanks for the drink." I mumbled.

We walked home shortly after we finished our drinks. We didn't talk much during the way back. Did I make her angry by looking at her bag…?

"Well… Bye. See you tomorrow Aemi." I said as we reached our apartments.   

"Kai, wait." she said when I was about to go my way, but I turned to see what she wanted.

"Give me your keys." she simply said.

"What?" I asked confusingly.

"Just give me your keys." she repeated simply.

I do as she told me to and look at her oddly.

She turns her back at me and I hear her shopping bag ruffle. After a short moment, she turns back to me with a smile on her face.

"Here you go!" she took my hand and put something on my palm.

"What…?" I was asking and then realized what was in my hand. She gave me back my keys, but it had an extra keychain on it.

"I hope you like it… It was the least girly one in that store. That's why you had to wait for me outside. Sorry I made you freeze hehe. Oh and I have one too! We have matching keychains now!" she said.

She put her keychain next to mine, and together, the Union Jack heart read 'Best Friends'. For once, a girl managed to warm up my heart by doing such simple thing.

"Best friends…?" I read out loud. I didn't know I meant that much to her.

"You went shopping with me today. I know you lost a bet, but still. You are one of the best guy friends a girl can ever get! It may not be the nicest keychain in the world, but I hope you'll remember this day each time you take out your keys!"  she smiled.

"Yes… Thanks Aemi. I like it." I gave her a small smile.

"Don't ever take it out okay? Even if you move and need to change keys, you have to keep this keychain! Understood?" she added and held out her pinky again.

"Alright, fine." I smiled and hooked my pinky with hers.

-End of flashback-

"You gave it to me the day you forced me to go shopping with you since I lost a bet…" I grimaced at my lack of skills in cards. "And I have to say that day was really cold! You made me wait for a long time. I could have became a snowman!"

Aemi had a shocked expression. Slowly, a soft smile forms.

"I can't believe you remembered." she whispered and her hand reached for her bag.

"Look, I still have mine too!" she smiled.

"Best friends huh?" said Tao."Are you sure you guys are not dating? You seem more like a couple to me." he teased.

"WE'RE NOT A COUPLE!" we both yelled at the same time again.

"Geez… I was just joking! You guys didn't have to be so mean to me…" he frowned and sat beside me. We both laughed at his childish frown.

Kris

I walked away towards the snack area of the house to get a snack because I felt very excluded from Kai and Aemi's conversation. I had to leave the living room for a bit. Their conversation was so… inside. It's like if you haven't lived through the moment with them, you would have had absolutely no idea what they were talking about. I know it's normal since they've known each other for quite some time. I don't know Aemi much, but for some reason, I felt uneasy of Kai's closeness with her. There seem to be a strong bond between them, and I know I will never be able to have something similar with her.

Kris, what are you thinking? You just met her. Why are you so attached to her already? It's been like this since you met her at the airport. I used to not believe in love at first sight, but I think here, it's the case. I may sound very desperate and weird, but I really like Aemi without even knowing much about her. And I am positive she is the right girl for me. 

"You're in to her you, aren't you?" said a voice.

I looked down and I see Elle.

"What are you talking about?" I denied.

"Stop trying to lie and pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. You're not very good at this kind of thing. Let me repeat it differently, you like Aemi don't you?" she said again. Man, she's so direct.

"N-No." I said. Damn. Why do I have to choose this moment to stutter? She looked a bit skeptical of my answer.

"Your face says otherwise. Anyways, don't bother trying to convince me you don't. I know you like her." she said confidently. What is up with this girl?

"So you're an expert on matchmaking?" I raised a brow, trying to avoid her question.

"Not really. I can just tell whether a person likes the other easily." she answered nonchalantly.

"So how accurate are your results?" I asked her.

"I would say 9 out of 10 cases are correct." she answered.

"I see…." I said and bit my lip. I don't know whether I should ask this or not, but curiosity is really getting the best of me right now.

"So eh… Just out of curiosity, do you know if Aemi is interested in me?" I asked her. She didn't look surprised by my question at all; she looked as though she was expecting it.

"I might know if you give me that cookie." she pointed at my chocolate chip cookie. It was the last one from the jar.

"So you're gonna give me an answer if I give you this cookie? Just like that?" I asked.

"Yep." she simply answered. Wow, well that was easy. I handed her the cookie and waited for my answer.

"Answer please…?" I reminded her.

"Oh yeah that." she finished her bite of cookie. "Maybe."

"What?! I give you a cookie, and that's the answer you give me?" I said.

"Well, you didn't precise what kind of answer you wanted. I could have given you the wrong one, the right one, or the imprecise one. If you ever have a genie, you would never be able to get the things you truly want. You should be more precise on what you ask sometimes. Thanks for the cookie. I was really in the cookie mood." she smiled evilly.

"You’re so manipulative!" I exclaimed.

"I guess I am; Aemi says that often too." she laughed and turned to walk back to the living room.

"I'm such an idiot…" I face palmed myself. Who on Earth did I ask her best friend about this?!

"Oh and," she turned to add something with a serious face. "Just to let you know, she barely met you a day ago. You can't expect someone to have a true opinion on you without really knowing much about you. We're not your fans dude, she's not going to fall for you just because you're a star. The image you put on in public might even be fake for all we know."

"You're not gonna tell Aemi about all this, right?" I asked her. I would be embarrassed if she shared this conversation with her friend.

"Why bother? There isn't much to say about this anyways." she simply answered and went back to watch TV.

She seems like she would keep her word about all this.

Elle really is an odd girl… She's unpredictable, a little bit evil and slightly cold.

Aemi

"Since you didn't listen to Exo-M's albums… I'm guessing you never listened to other Kpop group's albums either?" said Tao. Is he jealous that I only listened to Exo-K? Haha, what a funny guy.

"No Tao I didn't. Don't worry! You guys will be the second Kpop group that I'll listen to! Well, you're just a subgroup of Exo, but anyways!" I cheered him up.

"Oh yaaay! You're awesome!" Tao hugged me. It's funny how a few hours ago he was trying to get me and Elle arrested haha.

"Do you like our band's name then?" asked Tao.

"Of course I do. Elle and I came up with it." I said casually.

"W-What?? I thought it was SM who came up with the name." he said.

"Nah, it was originally from Aemi and Elle." said Kai.

"When we hung out with Exo-K more, we realized they were actually really weird people. We used to call them aliens, and at some point, Elle and I kept saying they're from Exoplanet, and since they're all Korean, the name gradually became Exo-K." I explained.

"Wow…" said Tao with child-like eyes. "So our band's name that's known around the world was actually you who created. That's pretty cool." 

"Haha thanks." I said. I got up to get a glass of water in the kitchen, which D.O. poured for me despite being so busy. When I came back, Elle had fallen asleep with her head rested on the couch arm. Haha, I guess her jet lag is tiring her a lot.

"Hey Aemi, come over here, I got something to show you." said Kris. He was signaling me to follow him to the dining room which was empty for now.

Lay

Aemi had left to go see Kris. He's probably going to return that phone strap to her or something.

Exo-K was forced to go help D.O. out in the kitchen, because if not, our lunch will probably be served a little bit before dinner.

So there was only Exo-M (excluding Kris) and Elle left in the living room. It wasn't very apparent that Elle was here though. She didn’t come talk to us or anything. She's been quiet the whole time.

"Don't you think Elle is a bit too quiet?" said Xiumin.

"Yeah I find so too. She's alone here with us, yet she doesn't even talk to us." I whispered.

"Maybe underneath her cold façade, she's actually a really shy person?" said Luhan.

"Or maybe she's not talking to us because she's sleeping." said Chen pointing at the couch.

"Ohhh… Well that explains part of it." I said.

"You wanna freak her out?" suggested Tao.

"That's not very nice though…" said Chen. "But oh well, why not. If she used to hang around with Exo-K, then she's probably the type to be able to take this kind of jokes."

We slowly approached her and we surrounded her. All we have to do now is wait for her to wake up, then she'll freak out with the 5 pairs of eyes staring at her.

"Hyung, she kinda looks like a kid. And look what she's hugging! It's one of Sehun's plushies!" whispered Tao. Haha, he's right! 

"Ready…" I whispered.

"3… 2…. 1…" we counted together. Luhan patted her arm in order to wake her up. She stirred a bit and we all approached her face and did wide-eyes expressions.

She slowly opened her eyes.

"AHHHHHH!" she shrieked and used her plushie to whack on the closest one she could hit. Man… She shrieks so loudly! I might even go deaf after this!

"OWWW!" yelled Tao clutching his right cheek.

Elle had very frightened and confused eyes. It was completely different from the Elle we met a few hours ago. Well, I can't blame her for acting this way. I probably would have reacted the same way, but I would have kicked Tao instead haha…

"HAHAHA! Karma! I'm so glad I wasn't the one who suggested this idea, or else I would have been hit in your place!" said Xiumin who is literally rolling on the floor laughing right now.

"You guys are mean! I got hit in the face and you don't even feel a bit sorry for me." he pouted and rubbed his cheek.

Elle looked at us with confused eyes, and started to understand what was going on. I'm surprised she's not pissed off. 

"Yeah… It's a bad idea to scare me when I'm sleeping. I can't really control what happens to the one standing close by. Sorry Tao." she apologized and sounded like she really means it.

"It's okay… I guess I deserved it." mumbled Tao still pouting.

"So you like plushies?" I raised a brow.

"Pfff. No." she said and threw the plushie further away on the long couch. She's definitely lying.

"Sure." I said sarcastically.

"Since you're up, do you wanna play some video games with us?" asked Luhan. He really is a nice guy. He's trying the most among us to befriend Elle.

"Oh sure, why not?" she agreed.

"I suggest Mario Kart." said Tao. "I'm sure it's a game you can easily play."

Elle raised a brow.

"You think I at gaming just because I'm a girl?" she said.

"What?" Tao said innocently and raised his hands defensively. "Most girls do. I'm just being a gentleman here. I might not let you win, but I'll go easy on you."

"Mario Kart you say? I'll make you eat those words later when I beat your sorry at this easy game." she said arrogantly.

This will be something entertaining to watch.

Aemi

"So what did you want to show me?" I asked Kris when I joined him in the dining room.

"This…" he searched his bag to find something.

He grabbed my hand and put a Rilakkuma phone strap on my palm.

I look at it for a few seconds. This green hoodie wearing Rilakkuma looks exactly like the one I lost! I guess he wanted to share this purchase with someone? I didn't expect a tall guy like him to be a plushie lover though hehe.

"Awwww! It's so cute! I used to have one that looks exactly like this one! Though I lost it... What a coincidence, right?" I said.

"I didn't buy this one." he looked. "You dropped it at the airport. When I picked it up for you, you were already gone. I held on to it in case I might see you again, which I did not expect to be so soon." he smiled.

I played with the Rilakkuma a bit and smiled widely.

"I'm grateful for this. I was a little sad when I realized it was gone because I got it recently. Thanks so much for finding it!" I gave him a small hug.

Kris was looking at me with a surprised expression.

"Oops sorry… It's just that, it feels like we're close friends already despite really meeting each other today." I blushed at my embarrassment.

"It's alright." he smiled and looked at the toy with amused soft eyes.

An idea crossed my mind.

"Do you like it?" I asked him.

"Yeah, it's not overly cute. It's pretty cool with the hoodie on it." he commented and played with one of its arm.

"You can have it if you want." I smiled.

"What? I can't... I mean this plushie probably means a lot to you since you said you were sad  that it was gone." he said with a voice full of concern.

"Haha, no worries. This plushie wasn't given to me by someone important. I bought it for myself. I was sad because I bought it recently, but lost it so quickly haha. So you want it? Since you're the one who found it, you can keep it if you like." I placed the bear in his hands.

"Oh, thank you then." he smiled back.

Kris

I'm probably smiling like an idiot right now, but that's alright. Aemi gave me something!! I'm going to treasure this. I'm glad it's not a too girly phone strap, or else I wouldn't be able to use it.

Since lunch isn't ready yet… I have a great idea in mind…

"Hey, Aemi, would you like to—" I started to say but sadly got interrupted.

"YOU CHEATED!" yelled Tao.

"I CHEATED? HOW? IT'S NOT MY FAULT YOU FREAKIN' AT MARIO CART. PLUS YOU'RE A GUY, AREN'T YOU SUPPOSE TO BE GOOD AT GAMING?! YOUR SKILLS ARE ALMOST EQUAL TO AEMI'S 7 YEAR OLD SISTER!" Elle yelled back.

"YOU SO CHEATED. YOUR CAR PUSHED MINE OFF THE RAINBOW ROAD!" Tao yelled.

"THAT ISN'T CALLED CHEATING. IT'S CALL BEING A PRO AT MARIO KART YOU SORE-LOSER." Elle countered.

"SORE-LOSER? NOW YOU'RE JUST DEMANDING FOR A FIGHT YOU SHORTIE!" Tao replied, and I heard him put the the Wii Wheel down on the floor loudly.

"SHORTIE? FOR YOUR INFORMATION, I'M A LITTLE OVER THE AVERAGE GIRL HEIGHT. I'M NOT SCARED OF YOU, BRING IT ON YOU SORE-LOSER PANDA!" she said and did the same.

Aemi and I looked at each other, and immediately got up to stop those two from ripping each other's head off.

I was going to ask Aemi to go out to hang out in the streets of Seoul, but I guess I'll have to ask another time thanks to those two.

No one's POV

The lunch D.O. planned to make was delayed to dinner time. Everybody was starving, so they looked like a pack of wolves fighting for food, even the girls. The leaders from Exo-K and Exo-M had to stop Tao and Elle from fighting again because they were bickering over the last piece of beef when both pair of chopsticks landed on it simultaneously.

"Get your dirty chopsticks off my piece of beef." said Elle glaring at Tao.

"NO. You let go of it." he said firmly.

"I can eat it for you guys if you want!" said Chanyeol.

"NO." they both answered at the same time making the happy virus sink in his seat. 

They were having a glaring competition while the others tried to convince them that this is not worth fighting for. Sadly none of those two were listening to their friends.

"Oh my god. Sehun spilled soy sauce all over your bag." Elle gasped with wide eyes and let go of the piece of meat.

"WHAT?!" he put down his chopsticks to see the state of his precious bag and to face Exo-K's maknae.

"Sike. Idiot." Elle smiled evilly and ate the piece of beef triumphantly.

"Oooh. Nice one Elle. It's nice to have someone else eating the last piece of the dish instead of Tao. He always gets the last piece of everything by using aegyo." said Baekyun high fiving Elle.

After dinner, fourteen people were hanging out in the living room watching a hilarious comedy movie.

Amongst all this fun, laughter and occasional bickering for certain, they did not know that they were actually being watched the whole time from when they all entered Exo-K's apartment.

There were two girls on a building's roof top across Exo's apartment and they had been using a long distance camera to observe the things that happened today. These two girls were the two overly obsessed fans from the airport and they have been keeping track of Aemi and Elle's whereabouts. They even know their names because they have been following them yesterday at an earshot distance. They happened to have heard their names which made their jobs much easier.

"Haneul Unni, I found Aemi's Facebook account, and it seems easy to hack into. I think I'll be able to get in in a few hours. The program is on its best performance today." said Soojung looking up from her laptop.

"Good." answered her sister without taking eyes off the camera screen. "What about the other girl, Elle?"

"I searched Aemi's friends list and there is no one that goes by that name." answered Soojung.

"That's impossible, unless Elle doesn't have a Facebook account." said Haneul.

"Well I'm pretty positive she's not here..." she answered confidently. "Oooh!" she said excitedly when she saw a shoe ad. "They look so pretty… I think I'll order this pair now."

"SOOJUNG." said Haneul irately. "Focus. If you want one of the Exo members to be your future hubby, you better focus and do well on your part. We need to get rid of these two girls if you want that to happen."

"Okay then…" Soojung pouted and obediently listened to her sister.

"Look at them… It's so disgusting. Their friendship with Exo-K, and now with Exo-M annoys the hell out of me. I want them gone as soon as possible." mumbled Haneul to herself, banging her hand on the concrete ground. 

"Don't worry Unni! It'll happen soon enough! We'll be able to get a lot of information on Aemi later and we'll be able to execute our plan soon!" she tried to cheer her sister up. She didn't really like it when her unni is all raged up.

"I hope so. Elle and Aemi, you will be sorry for knowing Exo." she stated and continued scribbling notes about every interaction between those two girls and Exo. 

 


I think this was the longest update so far! Did you guys like it? Don't be shy! Leave a comment below! And for those who don't remember Soojung & Haneul, you can read chapter 3 again! For those who haven't yet, and if you feel like it, subscribe to this story :D 

For curious readers: 

Aemi & Kai's best friend keychain 

 

Aemi's Rilakkuma phone strap