Timing

Some Things Never Change

This chapter is especially dedicated to my best friend! I hope you like reading this at the airport hehe :) 


Me

Two days passed by in the blink of an eye. I know it was two days ago, but I still couldn't get over the fact that Kris asked me to go to the ball with him. I mean, doesn't he have a lot of female celebrity friends? I'm sure he could have picked someone much better than me.

Tonight was officially the annual SM ball.

Right now, Elle and I are doing some last minute shopping. I was trying to find a necklace and some earrings to go with my dress, while Elle was still trying to find a dress. I tried to help her find a dress yesterday with her, but after going to many dress stores in a nearby area, we always came out with nothing. They were either not Elle's style, or they were too expensive.

"I really hope we find my dress soon… There isn't that many hours left." said Elle, who almost tripped on her own feet.

What was weird is that Elle has been wearing a pair of high heels since yesterday. I don't even know where they come from! I'm pretty sure she did not have them before; she doesn't even own a pair of heels back home!

"I hope you don't mind me asking, but… When did you buy these heels? And since when did you start wearing heels? You've been wearing them since yesterday." I pointed at her three inch black high heels. Should they hurt her feet? I mean heels like these aren't meant for long shopping trips; you walk way too much.

"I bought them when you were still sleeping yesterday morning, and when I came back, you were still sleeping! Right now, I'm just trying to break in these shoes." she answered simply. I'm not convince though… Back at the senior prom, she didn't even wear heels to the prom, but yet here, she's actually able to walk in them now. What happened?

"You're a bit weird… I have to admit, I'm happy that you can finally wear this type of shoes, but at the same time… It's very odd of you to try so hard for this kind of event. You didn't even try so hard for the prom! Honestly, I'm a bit surprised you're actually going to the ball. It's not really your type of thing." I said.

"Well, if it weren't for Exo, I wouldn't be going. I only go to these events if my friends really want me to go, which was the case for prom too. Well, back then you guys kinda forced me to go." she answered.  

Elle

I don't know what has gone into me. Ever since the day I overheard Kris asking Aemi out, I've just been very… off. The morning after the day at SM, I went out on my own in attempt to find a cheap dress for the ball, and by chance, I came across this pair of black heels. I tried them on, and they looked good, so I just bought them.

Maybe I'm trying to show Exo-K that compared to before, I can be less tomboy-style and actually try and pull off a feminine look? I don't even know myself.

Since I'm not so good at walking in them, I've been wearing them since the day I bought them. I wore them everywhere I went, including long shopping trips. I would be lying if I said my feet didn't hurt. They hurt like hell, but there isn't much I can do. Determination helps a lot in this situation. 

"Hey Elle! Let's try this store! I'm not sure what the sign says, but I think it means there's a sale!" said Aemi dragging me towards a store.

"Alright, alright." I laughed. "I can walk on my own you know! You don't need to drag me as if I were your puppy!"

Aemi wasn't wrong; there really is a sale in this store. All the stuff at a huge discount are mostly left-over clothing from the winter season. It doesn't really matter to me; I prefer wearing cold color clothing compared to flashy warm colors.

I went over the black dress category and tried to find something suitable for me. Most of them were a bit too old for my age and some were too sparkly. I don't want to stand out that much. 

"Didn’t you wear a black dress at the prom? How about you choose another color?" said Aemi. "How about blue? It's your favorite color after all."

"I guess it wouldn't hurt…" I shrugged.

There were some really nasty shades of blue. No wonder people didn't buy these… They're really ugly! When I reached the end of the rack, a dress caught my eye.

"That looks so pretty! I think it suits you very well. Go try it on!!" encouraged Aemi.

"Why are you so pushy??" I asked.

"I don't want you to suddenly back out of this. You might use the excuse of not having a dress! You tried that for the prom, but failed. This time, I'm going to make sure you don't even try to back out. You'll regret it if you don’t go!" said Aemi pushing me towards the changing room.

"Alright, alright." I laughed at her silliness.

She was right, the dress fits perfectly. The layers were pretty nice, plus the color wasn't too girly which suited my taste. I will never be caught wearing a flashy pink or purple dress. Thinking about that actually makes me feel sick…

I came out of the dressing room and showed Aemi.

"You look so awesome. It even matches with your heels!" complimented Aemi.

"Haha, thanks. I guess I'll buy this one." I said.

"I found the accessories I needed while you were at the cabins, so we can go home to get ready."

"Alright, just let me change out of this first."

By the time we got back home, we didn't really have that much time left. Barely an hour to get ready. I didn't plan on doing anything to my hair, so I helped Aemi with hers instead.

"Aren't you going to curl the ends of your hair?" asked Aemi.

"Nah. Too much work. Plus, that type of look suits you more. I'm just going to leave my hair straight and untied." I said while curling the ends of her hair. I'm  pretty good at this, so I was done in no time.

I wore my dress at top speed and put on a simple pair of earrings. Aemi and I are not the type of people who wear a lot make-up. Aemi looked pretty enough without it; she just uses lip gloss. Mostly for the nice flavors though haha. As for me, I'm just too lazy to even use that haha. So we're both pretty much done now.  

"You look so pretty." said Aemi while applying her favorite coconut lip gloss.

"Thanks, you too! I think we should get going now if we don’t want to be late!"

Kai

The annual SM summer ball is held at a five star hotel. I think this is a nice experience for Aemi and Elle. They can even gloat about this to their classmates when they go back home haha.

"We should have driven the girls here too. What if they got lost?" said Suho looking at his watch.

"Dude, relax. They're not even late yet, so calm down. Plus, they told me they'll be taking a taxi to come here." I said calmly. The ball officially starts in 15 minutes; Suho is freaking out for nothing. 

As if on cue, which is actually creepy I might add, Elle and Aemi enters the hotel. Woah… They both look so beautiful. Especially Aemi… The strapless dress she was wearing was a sort of cream color dress that really suited summer. In a way, this color makes me feel as though her cheerfulness radiates the room. The dress style is simple with a bit of lace at the end of it, but the fact that Aemi is wearing it makes it even nicer.

As for Elle, she's wearing a blue chiffon dress with a few layers and she was wearing high heels. I guess people change a lot after not seeing them for years. Last time at the prom, she was the only girl that was wearing flats haha.

"Wow… " Tao seemed amazed too, but I spoke too soon. "So you really are a girl!" Tao laughed, earning a smack in the head by Kris.

"Awww thanks." said Elle sarcastically while rolling her eyes at him.

"Tao. Be nice." said Kris with authority. I think he's trying to prevent those two from making a too big scene. It's actually smart of him to do so, since these two tend to argue intensively… Plus, they're always on the verge of violence.

 "Your suit is very nice. It makes you look even more like a panda." said Elle gesturing Tao's suit. At first I did not get what she meant, but then it hit me. His suit was black and white.

" Ha. Ha. Real mature. Well first off, I have to say: Aemi, you look absolutely lovely. As for you Shortie… Nice dress. This cold blue suits your personality." said Tao

Still isn't very nice of him, but I guess he's trying his best? Kris was giving him a disapproving look again.

"What?" he turned to Kris. "I said something nice this time!"

"What Tao is trying to say, is that you very nice look nice." said Sehun. I completely agree with him. 

"Shut up…" Tao smacked Sehun's arm which caused us all to laugh.

"You should be Elle's date." I suggested.  

"WHAT?!" they both said at the same time.

"No way am I being with this ugly panda!" said Elle.

"No way am I being with this shortie." said Tao at the same time. They glared at each other for the insulting nicknames they threw at each other. It's so funny seeing these two fight!

"Be nice Tao/Elle." Kris and Aemi said at the same time.

"NO. I'M NOT GOING TO BE HIS/HER DATE!" they both answered at the same time.

"Come on. Tao, it's just one night, and it'll be fun! You'll come to like Elle. She really isn't that bad of a person." I told him. He looked as though he wasn't going to agree any time soon.

"I'll treat you to 15 cups of Starbucks coffee if you be Elle's date tonight." I sigh.

"Fine. I'll do it for Starbucks." he said. I'm pretty sure that deep down, he actually enjoys Elle's company. I think it's the same way for Elle too. They both just won't admit it. 

Tao accepted, now it's only Elle. Aemi's trying to convince her, but in the end, she had to bribe her like what I did with Tao.

"I'll buy lunch for the whole week!" said Aemi.

"Lunch? Hmmm… I guess being his date wouldn't kill me… It is for free food after all." said Elle.

"Great. You both finally agree. Can we go eat now? They're starting to serve food now!" said Sehun. I swear, in his opinion, he will starve to death if he misses one meal.

Kris

The meal was really delicious, but much too similar to last year's. Aemi and Elle seem really impressed though.

"How are you guys liking the food?" asked Baekhyun.

"Heaven on earth." they both said at the same time while finishing their last piece of dessert.

The host announced that the dance was starting soon.

"You wanna dance Aemi?" I held out my hand.

"Sure." she smiled.

"You two should go too!" said Luhan forcing Tao and Elle to get up.

"Arg… fine." they reluctantly agreed.

I'm planning to confess to Aemi after dancing to two or three songs. I'm getting really nervous because of this!

Me

"Kris, look at Tao and Elle." I pointed to them.

"Be more lady-like and stop cursing each time you mess up a step!" Tao said to Elle.

"Try wearing a dress and walking in these shoes! Plus, I'm not good at dancing." she threw back at him.

"Stand straighter, you have such poor posture!" said Tao.

"What are you, my mom? Stop nagging me so much!! And your hands are so damn sweaty!" said Elle in an annoyed tone.

"Those two never fail to entertain me haha." I said.

"I know right. I'm glad they're not yelling this time." laughed Kris. Is it just me, or does he seem nervous? Is he okay?

The third song was coming to an end now.

"You know…" started Kris, but got interrupted by an announcement by the host. I didn't understand what he was saying, so I waited for Kris to translate.

"He said that after each song now, we need to change partners." Kris let out an overly dramatic sigh. Is he okay…?

"Oh alright. Later Kris." I waved and went to see my next dance partner.

Kris

How many times do we have to change until I get to go back with Aemi?! This is so frustrating. I want to confess to her already! I think this is like the 5th song, but yet, I'm still not back with Aemi yet!

It was time to change dance partners again, but this time, it happens to be Elle. She looks so different compared to her usual appearance. It's a bit weird actually; weird in a good way though. I find her weird because I would have never imagined her coming to this sort of event and wearing a dress. And a pair of heels? Woah. That's a major change.

"So you can walk in heels now?" I asked her casually.

"Yeah… Well I improved a lot since the last time you saw." she answered.

"I can see that." I said while dancing with her to the slow song.

"Stop looking at me like that." she said, slightly annoyed. "I know what you’re thinking. Elle's in a dress! Elle's at a ball! It's not that big of a deal you know!"

"Okay, okay. I'm sorry." I chuckled. "You look very nice today. This dress suits your perfectly."

"Thanks.." she mumbled.

"That reminds me, thank you so much for your help the other day. If it weren't for you, I'm pretty sure Aemi wouldn't have received such a nice dress from me."

"Oh… you're welcome."

The song was coming to an end already. By looking at most people, they were back to their original partners.

Finally. I can tell Aemi what I've been trying to tell her all night!

"Later Elle. Again, you look really nice tonight." I said to her.

Aemi

"Oh it's you!  said Taemin

"Hi Taemin." I smiled. His cheerfulness is so contagious.

"You remembered my name!" he smiled widely.

"Do I really look like a forgetful person?" I asked teasingly and pretended to feel offended.

"Of course not hehe." he said. We chatted about casual stuff, but at some point, I think he was too busy talking, so he stepped on my foot.

"Ouch…" I winced.

"Oh no! I'm so sorry! The thing is, I'm good at dancing, in fact I'm the best in SHINee, but I'm not really good with ballroom dancing…" he laughed nervously.

"It's alright. I'm okay." I assured him. He did not look convince though. "Seriously! I'm okay. All my toes are all intact!" I gestured my foot.

"Alright then." he chuckled. The song changed once again, so it was time to change dance partners again.

"It was fun dancing with you Taemin." I waved at him.

"You too! Bye Aemi!" he smiled widely.

Elle

After that one dance with Kris, my heart hasn't stop fluttering. If it keeps up like this, I'm gonna die from a heart attack soon.

I think I understand why my heart always races whenever I'm around Kris.

I never thought I would say this but… I actually grasp the concept of actually liking somebody. I understand the concept of falling for someone too.

I like Kris.

I realize whenever he's around me, I'm actually really happy. This kind of happiness is different from the one I feel when I'm with my friends. He's the first person to make me feel this way.

I… I really like this feeling; it warms up my heart.

Me

"Aemi… Listen, there's something I've been trying to tell you for the entire night, but we kept changing dance partners." said Kris when we finally end up dancing together again.

"What is it?" I asked him. He had a very serious face on him; it was very unlike the usual fun Kris.

"Let's talk on the balcony … Just in case they make us change partners again!" he laughed nervously. Is he okay…? He's been acting kinda weird tonight. 

He led me to the ballroom's balcony. It's very fancy and when looking out: the trees, the flowers and the summer breeze create a really nice ambiance.   

"So, what did you wanted to tell me?" I smiled at him curiously.

He took a deep breath.

"You might have found it very obvious, but I still I have to say it… I love you Aemi. I know we haven't known each other for a long time, but I fell for you big time. Honestly, I liked you since the day I laid eyes on you at the airport. You probably don't feel the same as I do, but I just want to ask you, will you go out with me? Go out not as friends though. I know you might not feel exactly the same way as I do, but could you give me a chance please?" he said to me with sincere eyes, but they were at the same time a bit begging.

I… I don't know what to say. It’s the first time a guy confesses to me. I'm not really sure how I should react to this.

Kris is a really nice and fun guy, I have to admit, but for now, I don't love him. He's just a friend to me. I feel bad rejecting his offer though, because I really don't reciprocate the same feelings. I don't want him to be in a relationship where the person he likes won’t like him back…

"Eh…" I looked at him with wide shocked eyes.

"Please." he looked directly into my eyes. I did not expect to see this kind of look for someone of his height: the puppy dog eyes. Oh no… I'm a er for this type of eyes!

Words came out of my mouth before my mind could stop them.

"Ok, I'll give it a shot."

"Thank you." he whispered with a wide smile on his face. He pulled me into an embrace, and I start wondering… What did I just get myself into?

Elle

I'm not angry at Aemi not because she's my best friend, but because it's not her fault. She's not the one who forced Kris to confess to her. Honestly, I'm not even jealous of her. Not even one bit. 

I knew the whole time that Kris likes her. I just… I just wish I hadn't realize that I like Kris today. If I didn't realize it, I wouldn't feel so hurt right now.

I actually heard everything they said. I was going to the balcony to get some fresh air because I was getting tired from all the dancing. I heard Kris' confession.  At that moment, I felt my heart shatter into millions of pieces, and it's at that moment where I realize how much I fell for him.

I really don't want to be here anymore. The cheerful mood from the ball just hurts me even more. I guess it's my cue to leave.

I pass by smiling chattering people and headed towards the door. I needed to calm myself down before going home. I didn't want to do anything reckless in this emotional state.

I take off my heels and walk barefooted. After wearing these for two days straight practically, I feel as though my feet will fall off soon. Actually, they hurt so much that I practically don't feel them anymore.

Outside, there was a nice fountain. I walk towards it and sit on the edge. 

Before I know it, a few tears roll down my cheek. I wipe them off quickly. 

It's been a while since I cried, but I think it's the first time I feel crushed this way.

I walk back to the hotel's reception and ask them to help me call a taxi since I don't speak the language. Luckily, the receptionist knew how to speak English so we didn’t have much problem communicating.

"Having a bad day?" she said with a sympathizing voice. She handed me a few tissue. I guess it's really obvious that my eyes are watery. This is so damn embarrassing. Why can't I be composed like I always am? It's so embarrassing to cry in front of people.

"Thanks..." I muttered and wiped away any remaining tears.

She told me the taxi would be coming soon so I should go back out to wait.

I went back to sit at the fountain's edge. Somehow, the water's sound is a bit soothing and helps me relax.

I saw a car coming so I strap my heels back on. I try to stand up, but pain shot up to my feet. I can't walk at all in them anymore. The pain is too unbearable.

You know what? It's not like I'm going to wear these again. Who was I kidding? I only tried wearing heels to impress Kris. I did all this for him. If I keep them, they'll only remind of tonight. Plus, they were pretty cheap. I take them off and leave them by the fountain.

I text Aemi. I lie to her that I felt sick, so I left first.

I hop on the taxi and try to forget this overwhelming sadness. It was easy to leave my shoes there, but trying to leave the memories of realisation of first love, and the memories of being crushed by your first love were much harder. 
 


Aemi's dress

Elle's dress