Mr. "Overprotective"

Some Things Never Change

Kris

I might have sounded really desperate, but at least it worked. I am so happy that Aemi said yes! I was really scared she wouldn’t. No amount of words can describe how happy I am right now.

I take Aemi's hand and lead her back to the ballroom, some of my colleagues looked at us curiously, but didn’t bother asking any questions, which I am really glad of. Aemi hasn't completely returned my feelings yet, so it would be hard to explain to them the relationship we're in.

"Kris." Aemi called and let go of my hand. "I need to go to the restroom, so I'll see you later okay?"

"Oh sure no problem. I'll be with my friends." I said and pointed towards Exo-M's direction.

Luhan

Kris walked towards us with a very happy smile plastered on his face. It's actually really creepy… I've never seen him smile like this before. I'm guessing something really good happened to him? He's practically radiating with bright happiness.

"Duizhang… You okay?" I asked him. He is not in a normal state of mind right now; it's really obvious.

"Yeah, why wouldn't I be?" he asked.

"Because you have a really creepy smile on your face right now." said Tao eyeing him weirdly.

"Something good happened to you?" asked Lay curiously.

"Did you find money on the floor?" guessed Xiumin.

"Let me guess… You confessed to Aemi and she happened to have accepted?" I .

"Bingo. That's exactly it." said Kris ruffling my hair. I look at him with wide eyes. Well this is a first. First he smiles like a complete happy idiot, then he ruffles my hair which he has never done before. My god… Kris sure is happy about all this. I didn't know he fell for Aemi this hard.

"Congrats man." said Lay patting him on the shoulder and the rest of Exo-M do the same too. I'm also happy for him; it's just that I feel more shocked about all this. I didn't expect this day to come so soon… I knew sooner or later he would tell Aemi he likes her, but isn't now a bit early? He hasn't really known her for a long time.

Me

I left Kris to go to the restrooms in order to calm myself down.

My brain is still processing what just happened… I can't believe I said yes! What am I going to do now?! Why couldn't I have just rejected him? That answer would have been for the best. I mean, if I say no from the start, then he will only be hurt in the beginning, and will move on pretty fast. But now… If I go on dates with him, which I already promised one, then he might feel closer to me. If I still don't like him back at that point and decide to stop all this, he will be completely crushed.

When Kris and I walked back to the ballroom, hand in hand, I tried my best to not look too uncomfortable. This is actually really awkward for me. What am I suppose to do? If I had a boyfriend before, then at least I would know what to do now, but I have zero knowledge in love and relationships. Thinking back about what just happened… I think that was one of the worst mistakes ever, but I can't take back my word now.

After spending a few more minutes here, I think I should go back. Kris must be waiting for me…

I walk back to where Kris told me he would be and I also spot Exo-K. I wonder if he told his friends about the whole confession thing… Well Aemi, bring your act together and don't make Kris look bad!

Kai

"Hey guys." said Aemi walking towards us.

"Oh there you are! I was wondering where you went. You just disappeared like that. I was going to ask you for a dance before." I said. I was going to ask Aemi for a dance after she was done with Kris, but then one minute I look away, she was gone from the dancing crowd, and so was Kris.

"Woops sorry Kai, I didn't know. We'll dance later" Aemi promised.

"Haha, alright." I said and took a glance at my watch. There's still around an hour left to the ball.

"Eh excuse me," said someone. Oh, it's Henry hyung."Do you guys know where Elle is? I heard some people saying Exo brought two female guests. I was assuming one of them was Elle, and you must be the other one. Hi I'm Henry." he let out his hand.

"Aemi." she smiled and shook his hand.

"Elle? It's true that she did come, but I'm not really sure where she is… Do you know where she is?" I asked Aemi.

"Good question… How about I just call her? It'll be much simpler than trying to find her in the crowd." she said and reached for her phone in her purse.

"Isn't it better that she's not here?" said Tao, earning immediately a smack in the head by Kris.

"That's not very nice of you. Even though she may not be here right now, you shouldn't say that." said Kris.

"Plus, we all know you're just in denial hyung! Deep down, you actually find her very fun to be with." teased Sehun.

"Shut up…" said Tao turning his face away from us. I bet what Sehun said is true.

"Haha, I guess someone doesn't like Elle very much." laughed Henry.

"Kai," Aemi called me. "Elle left already. She texted me telling me that she was feeling kinda sick, so she left first. I hope she's okay on her own…"

"I'm sure she's fine." I assured her. Elle was never the type to do risky things. If she really felt sick and needed help, I'm sure she would have told us.

"What a shame…" said Henry frowning a bit. "I was really looking forward in seeing her again…"

"Interested in her?" Chanyeol .

"Haha yeah, but just in the friends kind of way. She seems really fun behind that serious face of her. Do one of you mind giving me her number?" he asked holding out his cellphone.

"Sure." Aemi took it, inputted Elle's number in, and handed in back to Henry.

"Thanks, I'll be going now, bye guys!" he waved and went back to join his Super Junior members.

"Do you want to dance again Aemi?" asked Kris while holding his hand out.

"Eh… Maybe later. I'm just going to call Elle to see if she's alright. I'll be right back!" she ran off. She seems very concerned of her friend, well they're practically sisters, so I'm not really surprised.

"Hyung, did you really confess to Aemi?" asked Sehun.

WHAT?! Did I just hear that right? Kris confessed to Aemi? Since when did he like her?!

"How did you know about that?" Kris asked Sehun.

"Oh, Tao told me." he answered simply."So is it really true?"

"Eh yeah…" Kris smiled slightly and rubbed the back of his neck embarrassingly.

"Woah… I did not expect this to happen. What was her answer?" asked Baekhyun.

"She said yes, and she even promised me a date." Kris grinned. I don't know why… But I really feel like punching him. Punching him hard in the face. I think I'm being a bit overprotective of Aemi. Though, isn't this normal? We are best friends after all. I don't think there's something wrong me with punching Kris. Isn't what a best guy friend should do if his best girl friend gets a boyfriend?

But wait, she's not even his girlfriend yet! Kris just said they're going out. But she accepted his confession though…

"Wow. Congrats man." said Suho smiling. The other Exo-K members were also congratulating him with high fives, and pats on the back.

"Congrats Kris." I patted hard on his arm and he winced a bit. "Treat her nicely!"

"Ow… That kinda hurt Kai." Kris rubbed his arm. The guys look at me oddly. , I have to come up with an excuse.

"Oh sorry… I think I drank too many glasses of champagne. My bad man, I didn't mean to hurt you." I said quickly.

"It's alright. Just don't drink any more or else you'll dislocate my shoulder or something haha." joked Kris and I laughed along. Well, I forced myself a bit to laugh.

Aemi came back around 20 minutes later saying that she tried many times, but Elle didn't pick up any of her calls. She only received a text message telling her that she was home already and that she was fine.

"Since she says everything is okay, I guess it won't hurt if I stay for the rest of the ball… I mean it'll end pretty soon…" said Aemi.

"You want to go dance a little bit more then?" asked Kris handing her a hand. Damn… He's too fast. I was going to ask her!

"Oh, sure." she said and took his hand. Just like that, they left for the dance floor.

I'll just ask her again, when they come back. It's not like they're going to dance for a long time…

-35 minutes later-

Okay then… I guess they really did plan to dance for a long time.

I was tapping my fingers on the table impatiently. Luckily, my friends were too busy talking that they did not hear the noise my fingers were making.

Aemi let go of Kris' hand and they both came back to the guys and me.

"Exhausted from dancing?" I teased Aemi and forced a smile. 

"A little bit actually…" she admitted it. "But that's not why I came back. I promised you a dance before didn't I? There's only time for one song though… So come on!"

I'm a bit surprised of all this; I thought she would have forgotten. I guess I was wrong.

It was a slow dance, so Aemi didn't have much problems with the steps. She was never a good dancer, so I'm quite surprised she didn’t step on my shoes yet.

"This is nice." I admitted.

"Yeah. It's the first time we actually get to dance together." said Aemi.

"I know… I'm sorry I missed the senior prom." I apologized. It was sad that Exo-K and I had to leave for Korea right before the prom. I bet she was disappointed back then.

"No worries Kai. You made up for it today." she smiled.

"Haha I guess…" I said. That reminds me, even though I'm a bit opposed to the idea that she and Kris are going out, I at least have to congratulate her. "Oh and congrats with the Kris thing. I'm really happy for you guys…" I forced really hard a smile.

"Oh that, haha… Thanks Kai." she smiled slightly. She's probably feeling really shy about all this.

"Attention all guests! That was the last song of the night. I hope everyone had a great night, but great things must always come to an end. Good night everyone!" said the ball host said and some people started exiting the ballroom.

"Thanks for the dance Kai. It was nice." Aemi smiled.

The guys joined us again, and Kris offered to drive Aemi home, while our manager hyung drove us back.

I really wish I had my car with me... I could have been the one driving her home…

Me

"Thanks for driving me back." I said to Kris. We were now at my apartment's door now. I was a little bit paranoid that he might try to hug me again, or maybe even kiss me… Well that's what I see in dramas and movies when the guy and the girl are saying goodbye at the door. I really wish I could  just hurry up and say my goodbye, then close my door before he could do any of those stuff.

"Remember the date you promised a couple of hours ago?" he asked me, and I nod nervously.

"Do you mind going out with me tomorrow? I called my manager hyung, and I somehow managed to make him give me a day off. I'll have to work a bit overtime the next two days, but that's okay." he smiled with slight puppy dog eyes.

He took a day off just for me…? I don't really want to go out with him, because I will just feel very uneasy and awkward around him, but at the same time, I can't turn him down! I may not know a lot about an idol's work schedule, but I do know that an idol's schedule is jammed pack with barely any breaks, and that it's hard to even get a day off. And he has to work overtime the next day… This doesn't leave me much choice here.

"Alright. What time?" I forced a smile to seem enthusiastic about all this.

"Is 10 am alright? I'll drive over here and I'll be at your door." he smiled charmingly. Despite not liking him, you really can't deny that Kris is good looking, and has a great smile.

"Sure, no problem!" I smiled back. "I'll try to wake up on time!"

"See you tomorrow." he smiled and patted the side of my arm. When he turned his back, I closed my door. Thank god there was no hugging or kissing; I wouldn't have known what to do!

When I walked into my house, Elle wasn't in the living room, and all the lights were off. She went to bed already? I walk up to her bedroom and gently opened it.

"Pssss. Elle you awake?" I whispered as I tiptoed into her room; I didn't want to wake her up in case she was sleeping already. I was really hoping she isn't asleep yet, because I really need to talk to her about the whole Kris situation. She probably knows what to do; she always knows what to do whenever I have a problem.

"Hmmmm? What?" she mumbled, half asleep.

"Oh so you're not completely asleep yet." I let out a sigh of relief. Usually, if she was like this, I would just let her go back to sleep, but right now, I really need help!

"What's wrong?" she mumbled.

"It's about Kris and me…" I started.

"Relationship problems? That sounds complex. Can you tell me tomorrow please?" she said sleepily. "I'm not really feeling very well… My brain is half dead. Sorry Aemi."

Oh yeah! I forgot!

"Oh I'm so sorry! I forgot you were sick! No worries, it's no hurry. Just rest well! Good night!" I said hurriedly and left her room.

I'm such a horrible person today! First I accepted Kris' confession, when I know he's going to end up being hurt in the end, and then I wake up Elle who is sick.

Elle

I'm so sorry Aemi… I didn't mean to push you away like that. You sounded like you really needed help, and I really want to help you, but not now… If she was talking about Kris and her to me right now, I might end up crying. If that happens, then she would know that I like Kris, and she is one of the last people on Earth to whom I would tell. With Aemi's personality, she would probably break up with Kris due to guilt. I don't want that to happen.

Before she came in, I heard Kris ask her out again at the door. It's times like this when you wish you didn't have good hearing. That conversation was like a foot stomping on my heart. Man am I pathetic… Why can't I just it up and get over him?

When I came home, I went straight to bed, but never once did I fall asleep. So I lied to Aemi saying I needed to sleep. My acting was pretty well done. She bought it completely. I doubt I'll be getting any sleep anytime soon with everything that happened tonight. I told myself to stop crying, but tears just keep flowing out of my eyes uncontrollably.

Stop being such a weakling…

Me

I woke up around 9 am to get ready for my date with Kris. I even set two alarms just in case I oversleep. I wouldn't want Kris to wait for me too long, plus I really hate being late for things. I peeked into Elle's room, and she was still fast asleep. I hope she's not sick anymore. I scribbled a sticky note and put it on the kitchen counter telling her to call if she needs me. 

After brushing my teeth, and eating a piece of toast as my breakfast, I throw on something casual, fix my hair and it was already almost 10 am. Wow. Time passes by quickly. I just hope it'll be the same during the date. Don't get me wrong; Kris seems like a really nice and great guy, but the fact that I don't really reciprocate his feelings makes this really awkward. And I have to spend an entire day with him! Unless I find some excuses to leave early… Though that would be mean… ARG. This is so frustrating.

Part of me doesn't want to hurt Kris, yet part of me wants to escape from him and this date.

*DING DONG*

I guess Kris is here. I can't back out anymore.

I open the door and I look up to a cheerful smiling Kris.

"Good morning." he said. "Ready to go?"

"Yep." I forced a smile that look the less awkward as possible.

"Great! Wait, but is Elle okay? She was feeling sick yesterday..." said Kris worriedly.

"Oh she's still sleeping. I left her a note telling her to call anytime if she needs help." I answered.

"I see. Come on, let's go. I got a great day planned out." he smiled and took my hand.

"Great…!" I smiled back as I lock the doors.

"I hope you don't mind, but I'll be wearing the sunglasses and the cap for the day. I don't want fans or the media people to spot us; it'll bring us a lot of unnecessary trouble." said Kris.

Elle

I put pillows beside my ears in order to block out Aemi and Kris' voice, but it's not working at all. I thought I would feel better overnight, but apparently not.

Once they both left, I felt slightly at peace. Finally I can get some sleep… I didn't get any at all from last night. My eyes would close, but I never drifted off to sleep.

But now… I somehow feel a bit more relaxed. My eyelids started to close, and I can finally get some sleep.

Kai

So I heard from Tao where Kris and Aemi are going today. Today, things seem to tell me to go spy on those two. My schedule got canceled, and I have nothing else to do. Plus, I managed to make Tao spill Kris and Aemi's date's whereabouts. Now I just need one more person to come with me, so that I don't look to weird following those two alone.

I don't really want any of the guys to come with me, because this is kinda embarrassing.

My only choice left is Elle. I bet she would come along with me. If she doesn't want to, then all I need to do is convince her that Kris might hurt Aemi!

I grab my car keys and Elle and Aemi's apartment's emergency keys and left before any of my friends can ask where I'm going.

Waking Elle up will be a challenge, but this time, it'll really be worth it.

Elle

"YAH! Wake up! Do you know how many times I yelled for you to wake up?! Are you deaf or something?!" someone yelled and shook me frantically. Who the hell is waking me up?! I just happened to fall back to sleep not long ago! Wait a minute… Why is it a guy's voice? Who's in my house right now?!

My first reflex was to kick away the guy who was next to me and I heard a large weight falling onto the floor. The guy was wincing in pain. That should teach you to sneak into my house, especially when I'm sleeping. I rubbed my eyes and took a look who the imposter was.

"KAI!?" I said in surprised. "What the hell are you doing here?!"

"Can't I at least get a sorry first?! You kicked me in the balls!" he yelped as he was rolling on the floor. He was on the verge of tears. 

"Well it's not my fault you sneaked into my house! You know, you're really abusing the keys we gave you. We gave them to you guys in case of an emergency." I scolded him.

"Well it is an emergency! I need to ask you a favor, but before that, could you get me an ice pack please?" he said, in a still-pained voice.

I got out of bed and half ran to get an ice pack from the freezer.

"Here…" I handed him the ice pack. "Throw it away after using it though, and I'm sorry…"

"It's alright…" he mumbled. "I guess it was partially my own fault."

"Haha, partially?" I eyed him. "Anyways, what favor did you wanted to ask?"

"Oh yeah, about that, come with me to spy on Aemi and Kris. They're going out now. Kris confessed to her yesterday, and she accepted." he said. Saying their names aches my heart once again. I try my hardest to keep my face composed.

"Why? And shouldn’t you be at work today?" I asked him.

"Work got canceled today. The choreographer got sick, so we don't have any schedule today." Kai explained.

"That still doesn't explain why you want to spy on them." I said.

"Aren’t you worry about them?" he asked me.

"Not really…" I shrugged and pretended that I didn't care. If I saw them together, I know my shattered heart will still shatter into smaller pieces. "Don't you trust Kris? I thought you were close with all your bandmates."

"Well Kris is like a brother to me, but honestly, I don't really trust him with Aemi. And Aemi's my best friend so…" he said quickly. I looked at him for a second, and I know this isn't the only reason behind his actions. He was partially lying, and I'm positive he's hiding another motive.

"I don't know… Shouldn't we just leave them alone?" I said.

"Please Elle! Aren't you worry Kris might hurt your best friend, who's practically your sister? You don't want to see you sis get hurt do you?" he looked at me and smirked. Damn… Despite my own feelings towards all this, I can't let Kris hurt Aemi. Kai makes it sound as though Kris is the type the hurt girls he dates... 

"By the look you have in your face right now, I'll take that as a yes." he walked over to my closet an threw me a t-shirt and a pair of shorts.

"What the…?"

"You better hurry up if we want to find them." he said and closed my room's door.

I have a feeling I'm gonna regret joining him in this spying thing… 


Hi everyone! I just wanted to thank everyone who subscribed, and those who commented ^^ It's really fun to read your thoughts on the story :D To my quiet readers... Don't be shy! Don't be afraid to comment once in a while ;) Anyways, I hope you guys liked this update!