Hope

Some Things Never Change

To those who commented and subscribed, thank you :) 

Also, special thanks to luckybead for the awesome poster! Here's the link to her shop: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/191273/luckybead-poster-shop-now-open-posters-postershop-requestshop-posterrequestshop 


Me (Aemi Lee)

"Time's up. Please put down your pen and hand over your papers. I wish you guys a nice summer!" said the professor. 

YES! Finally. My exams are officially OVER! O-V-E-R! It was such a painful week with lack of sleep and all, but it's now over and... IT'S SUMMER! YAY! 

As I wait for my best friend, Elle, who's finishing up her last exam, I couldn't help to think what I will do over this summer vacation. Usually, during summer, I would either slack on the couch at home and be on my computer all day, and sometimes I would go work at my summer job. This year, it's different; after working so many hours and trying my best to save every penny when possible, I managed to have enough to spend my summer vacation with Elle in a foreign country! Isn't this awesome?

After thinking over the places we should visit, we finally decided to go to Seoul. We're leaving tonight, but it still feels like I have to wait for many days! Yes, I'm THAT excited hehe! There are so much things to do there! Shopping, eating, site seeing...

Let me write down other things I should do...

I take out my phone and open my notepad and I notice the date...

June 21st.

Ah... This date brings back memory... Not the best one. June 21st was the day Exo-K guys left us...

You see, Elle and I aren't from here; we're just studying in Canada. Our parents sent us to this country and we met in middle school. She was the first friend I made when I came here. At first, we both lived alone in separate apartments. As we became closer friends, we decided to share one to economize some money. She's not the best roommate ever, but I have to admit, I'm not that much better either haha. We managed to live with each other despite our differences.

When we were in 9th grade, 6 awesome guys moved in next door. They called themselves Exo-K. I thought it was a weird name at first, but anyways... In the beginning, we were really intimidated by them, but once they introduced themselves, we were practically friends already.

They're a year older than us, yet we still hung out at school. We had a lot of fun together: we went to the movies, buffet, bowling... They even went shopping with me and Elle! Who would have thought six guys would be patient enough to shop with two girls? They would complain once and a while, but they still tagged along.

They all have a passion for singing and dancing. About two years after we met, they got an opportunity to perform at a local festival. If I remember right; they even wrote their own songs and created their own dance choreography. I think their songs were 'Mama' and 'History'...? Anyways, apparently, at their performance, there was a guy from a well known record label in Korea. He saw great potential in these guys, and he gave them an offer to join S.M. Entertainment. They didn't even need to audition or anything because they were THAT good.

The guys were super happy about this offer, but they were still hesitant. They enjoyed their lives here and didn't really want to leave Elle and me. They nearly rejected the offer and stay here, but I managed to change their minds. I spoke to Kai; he was my best guy friend. I told him this was a once and a life time opportunity, it can't be thrown away like that. He told me he would miss us a lot.

"I would miss you too, but I'm sure we'll see each other again. We're good friends! Nothing can break this friendship! Go become famous idols! It'll kill me to see you guys everyday here knowing I'm part of the reason for why you rejected the offer." I remembered saying this to him. On the inside, I really didn't want them to leave. I know it's very selfish of me. I'm glad I did the right thing and told them to go. After a few more days of decision making, they called the agent and accepted the offer. They would be leaving after finishing the rest of their 12th grade.

The time we had left with Exo-K wasn't long; only a few weeks. We spent as much time as possible with each other. The night before they had to leave, we even pulled an all-nighter and stuffed ourselves with junk food haha...

That night surprisingly passed by really quickly. After watching a few movies and eating big bag of chips, it was already time for them to get to the airport. We didn't even get to the airport yet, but I felt like I was going to break down any second. I didn't want to cry in front of them....

I always stop here when I think of the day they left. I stop myself from thinking about the airport goodbye scene; it kills me on the inside. I can never think about it without crying, so I always decide to repress it.

I wonder how the boys are doing these days... They recently had their comeback, and I have to say, their album is awesome! Seeing them perform makes me feel so proud. Knowing a few years ago, they were just performing on a small town's stage, but now, they're performing everywhere around the world, it's so impressive!

"What are you staring at?" I heard a voice call me.

I shook my head and got out of my thoughts. I didn't realize I was staring blankly into space; I probably looked so stupid in the eyes of passer-bys, not that I really care.

"Oh hey Elle, done with your exam?" I asked.

"Yeah. Are you ready to go? We have to pack for Seoul!" she cheered excitedly.

"Oh my god, don't get me started. I feel like screaming just by mentioning we're going there! Let's go shop for some snacks to eat on the plane!" I smiled.

We went to a supermarket close by our apartment and started filling up the cart with chips, cookies, chocolate and candy. Yeah... We don't exactly eat healthily hehe.

"Hey Elle?" I called her.  

"Yeah?"

"Call me naive or over optimistic, but... Do you think there might be a chance we might see them in Seoul...?" I asked.  

Them. She immediately knew who I was talking about.

"Honestly, I don't know. Seoul's not a small city, but if I remember right, I think they're going to be back in Seoul the day we land there. Who knows? Maybe?" she shrugged.

"It would be cool though if we do see them." I added.

"Yes it would be, if we manage to get through those massive waves of fans. It'll be a miracle if we even see the top of their heads!" said Elle.

"Haha yeah... I guess we can hope?" I said.

I really think there might be a chance. I mean when I booked the tickets, I didn't know they would be at the airport on the same day as us. Maybe this is a sign that we would meet again?

I truly believe it's about time for us to reunite. I doubt Elle thinks the same way as me. She's not exactly the most optimistic person out there...

Elle

Honestly, I lost hope in ever seeing them again. They're six super famous handsome guys known around the world. Who are we? Mere commoners. We're not supermodels; we're not famous actresses or singers; we're just two students studying aboard. Yes, just two normal typical girls.

Don't call me pessimistic, I'm just being realistic here.

I might sound like I don't miss them at all, but I actually do. I just try to put my feelings aside and keep living my life without them. It took me some time; it was tough at first; I missed each of them a lot, but I guess I'm okay now.

And just to say, we're not going to Seoul on purpose to see them. That's just crazy; trying to find six guys in a population of over ten million people. Impossible. We're visiting there for fun, and we're there to enjoy and admire the country's beauty.

Me

"Well I think we got everything we needed." I looked at Elle to see if she has anything else to buy.

"That's all! Let's go home and pack!" she said excitedly. I swear, if she wasn't in public right now, she would be skipping around like a happy idiot, haha.

The packing didn't take as long as expected. We were done in about two hours. I called my aunt to confirm the address of her apartment; she used to live in Seoul but recently moved to London so it was empty. She didn't mind us using it, which is awesome because we just saved a lot from hotel fees and we have more money to use for food and shopping!

The time has finally come. Time for us to head over to the airport! We both have one big luggage with our clothes and other stuff, and a backpack as our hand carry. As I lock the door, I look at the best friend keychain Kai and I bought together... Maybe we might see each other on this trip. 

Before hoping on the bus, I throw a penny into the fountain making a wish. 

Please let us reunite with Exo-K.

A flight to Tokyo and then Seoul... This is going to be long!  

"Goodbye Canada! See you in two months!" Elle and I said at the same time as our plane began lift off.

Kai

"Wow. This is a lot of fan mail, and we didn't even perform yet!" exclaimed Suho with wide eyes.

"I guess we're really welcomed by Hong Kong fans. Hey look! They even got us instant ramen  in case we get hungry!" said Chanyeol hugging the box of ramen. I don't think he's going to share with us...

"At what time are we performing again?" asked Kris.

"Um... I think at 8 pm. We need to get to the stage soon for practice. After that, manager hyung said we can hang out around the city for the whole day tomorrow! We're heading back to Seoul early in the morning the day after." said Sehun enjoying other snacks fans sent us.

"Oh we're done after Hong Kong? Cool." I said. I'm not saying I hate the perfomances and the cheering fans, but all this flying off from one country to another, it's very tiring. Plus, it's been a while since I actually got a good night sleep. It'll be nice to be back home and rest for a change.

Me

"What time are we landing in Seoul?" I asked Elle.

"I think at 12 pm, now shut up... I'm trying to sleep." she yawned and started snoring shortly after that. Typical Elle. She's always grumpy when she doesn't get enough sleep.

I should stop bothering her hehe... She must be tired.

Kai

"Kamsahamnida! Thank you so much! You've been a great crowd! Goodbye Hong Kong! See you next time!" all twelve of us said in unison and bowed.

As we head over to the dressing room, I asked my manager:

"At what time are we landing in Seoul again?"

"At 10 am. Don't worry Kai, you guys will have plenty of time to relax a bit and look around Hong Kong. You deserve it after all." assured the manager.

"Oh okay, cool. Thanks man!"

Me

"Are you okay?" asked Elle worriedly.

"Yeah I'm fine, no worries. I guess I'm just a bit dizzy from the flight." I assured her.

That wasn't the most pleasant flight I've been on in my life... I had a really bad headache in the middle of the flight to Tokyo; I couldn't sleep because the kid behind me keeps kicking my seat.

"Come on! Let's go see if there's some nice things to buy in Narita airport!" she grabbed my arm. I think she hopes that by going shopping, it will ease my headache haha...

"Sure." I smiled. Despite being a university student, I swear, Elle can sometimes act like a child in a candy shop when it comes to shopping, haha.

"How much time do we have?" she turned back to ask me.

"About one hour."

"Okay then, we better hurry up! Come on you slow poke!" she practically dragged me. I don't even know how she can have so much energy after such a long flight. I guess the thought of shopping has that effect on her.

Haha this kid... What's funny is that, she's older than me!

Kai

It's nice to relax a bit once and a while after performing in another country. It's been a while since we actually had a day free after a concert in a foreign country. It's fun to hang out as a big group. A few days ago when we were in Thailand, we were on such a tight schedule that after the concert, we barely even slept and it was already time to hop on the next flight for another concert. We all wanted to visit that country, sadly we have no time. Maybe next time. 

In Hong Kong, we ate a lot of good food. Tao and Sehun were fighting for the last egg tart yesterday haha. There were actually more, but Xiumin hid them from those two. What can we say? It was funny to see Sehun and Tao bicker for food. When we went to eat noodles, we didn't really have much table manners. We actually had an eating competition to see who eats the quickest haha. Guess who won? ME!

We went to shop for some souvenirs for our family and friends back home, and I have to say, they sell almost everything in Hong Kong! It's a shopping and food paradise!

We got chased by fans a few times, but they weren't like a big mob or something. Some were actually pretty nice. They asked politely for our autographs and took pictures with us. How could we say no to them? However there was this crazy fan who chased after us for half an hour. She must be really athletic. We ran non-stop for thirty minutes straight! I'm glad we lost her at some point because she looked like she would hug us until we couldn't breathe.

Fun times don't seem to last long, it was already time for us to go. We're enjoying our last relaxing breakfast. Once again, Sehun and Tao are fighting for food. Hey look, Chanyeol just joined them haha. What are they fighting for this time? The last pineapple bun. They actually have enough money to buy another one, but I guess they like the fun of fighting over food?

"Guys." called our manager. "The flight's been delayed. We might get back to Seoul an hour or two late."

Oh... I was hoping to get home soon, but I guess I'll have to wait a little more.

Me

"Aemi! I guess we're really aren't lucky... According to this fansite, Exo's plane was scheduled to land at 10 am. We won't be able to see them!" said Elle frowning.

"Seriously? Ah man! We were so close. If only our plane would land early... I guess fate doesn't want us to reunite." I let out a sigh.