Confused Kai

Some Things Never Change

Kai

Urg… Why does my head hurt like hell? It feels as though I've been hit continuous times by a heavy hammer.

I stir a bit in my sleep, when I suddenly remember I have a schedule to attend. I opened my eyes slightly and looked at my alarm clock.

11:00

Oh no big deal.

Wait what?

11:00 AM

“OH ! I'M LATE!” I yelled as I shot up too quickly from my bed, causing me to fall on the ground. That made my head hurt even more, but I don't have time to worry about that now. Why didn't anyone wake me up?! I'm in deep now. Manager hyung is going to yell at me for sure.

I rushed into the bathroom, and cursed at my friends who didn't bother waking me up. Did I do something to piss them off? This is the first time they ever do this to me!

I halted when my eyes land on a sticky note on the bathroom mirror.

Hey Kai, you're probably yelling at us for not waking you up. Don't worry though! I figured you would be having a pretty bad hangover, so I told Manager hyung that you have gastroenteritis from expired food you ate yesterday. He didn't question me any further when I used this excuse, so you're pretty much free for the day.

-Baekhyun

P.S. Elle told me to tell you something like 'man up before it's too late' and that you owe her for the soju she paid for you yesterday.

Soju? Man up? What is he talking about? I went drinking yesterday?

As I brush my teeth, I try to remember what I did yesterday… I went over to Elle's place to convince her to go spying with me, after spying on Kris and Aemi for the day, Elle wanted to go home, but I convinced her not to…

Oh.

Now I remember. I went to Silver Moonlight with her. How much did I actually drink? It had to be a large amount for me to be knocked out. Plus, I have no memory of whatever conversation I had with her in the bar. And how come Baekhyun's involve in this too?

I think I should call Elle…

As I passed by the living room, the daylight from the window was blinding me. I rushed over to close the curtains before my eyes get burned. I feel like crap right now. Every little sound I make adds pain to the massive headache I'm feeling. Thank God I don't have to go to work in this condition. I would have surely passed out at the loud dancing music.

I took a cup noodle from the kitchen cabinet and quickly cooked my breakfast. Well, lunch seems to be a more suitable word at this time.

While eating, I rethink what happened yesterday. Most of the images that pop into my head are Aemi and Kris together. At the thought of that, I feel pain in my chest. What the…? Heartburn? Or perhaps I really drank too much yesterday? But that has nothing to do with chest pain. 

I try to eat at a much slower pace, but the pain is still there.

What is wrong with me?

Me

Last night, I was waiting for Elle to come home in my room, but I was probably too tired, so I fell asleep. After getting up and brushing my teeth, I tiptoed towards Elle's room. Surprisingly, she was awake already. She was on her laptop and didn't seem to notice my presence yet.

"Good morning!” I greeted her.

“Morning,” she peeked up from her laptop and smiled. I guess she's not feeling sick anymore. She seems more cheerful today.

“Not feeling sick anymore? I felt bad leaving you alone.” I grimaced.

“Sick...?” she looked at me oddly. “Oh yeah!  I'm feeling much better now. You don't have to feel bad; I went out yesterday to grab some lunch, so it wasn't a boring day,” she assured me.

"Anyways, I have a big problem." I started.

"Did you and Kris get caught by fans or paparazzi?" she asked with worried eyes.

“What? No, it's not that at all,” I shook my head and sat down on the edge of her bed.

“This must be something big. You have that super worried and nervous expression on your face right now,” she said as she titled her head to look at me.

“Your observation skills never seem to fail you,” I remarked. “The thing is… Well, first off, it's about Kris,” I said biting my lip nervously. Her eyes signaled me to continue.

“The thing is…” I repeated again. “I don't like Kris. I like him as a friend, but I don't like him in the romantic way. When he confessed to me, I panicked! I didn't know what to do, and then he started saying that if I don't like him back yet, at least give him a chance for him to change that. I didn't want to hurt him, and you should have seen the look in his eyes! And that's how I ended up saying yes to going out with him. And the date I went on yesterday, I only went because he took a day off on purpose for me! It was really awkward at first, but I tried my best to be fun so that he'll be happy.” I blurted out everything in one shot and taking a deep breath to calm myself down.

“You idiot,” she facepalmed and was on the verge of flipping her laptop onto the floor. “Why would you do that? You're just giving him false hope. I can't believe you accepted a guy's confession without being a hint interested in him! This is what I meant when I said you’ll have problems when you keep saying yes to everyone! Do you see the big problem you just created?!”

“I know, I know! I know I messed up! That's why I'm telling you all this; I don't know how to fix this!” I ruffled my hair in major frustration.

“First off, you need to rephrase that. You really messed up BADLY,” she emphasized the adverb. “If we have a time machine, I would tell you to go back and reject his confession, but since nobody invented that yet, I guess that option is out of question. Instead of doing that, you'll have to tell him now that you're not really interested in him. It's going to be painful, but better now than later, since the feelings aren't too deep yet.”

“But what if I do end up liking him later on?” I asked. I really want to avoid telling Kris I don't like him.

“When will 'later' be? A couple of weeks? A few months? A year? You don't know when that day will come. Right now, if you finish this whatever relationship you're in, he's going to feel sad, but at least you're being honest with him. Right now, you're just making him live a lie. He doesn't know you have zero feelings for him,” she explained with a serious look. “If you wait too long, the day you break up with him, he's going to feel crushed. He'll feel as if his soul got away because the person he likes and who he thought liked him back was actually lying the whole time. Being crushed by the person you like is very painful, so you better end this quickly.”

“Wow… For someone who hasn't had her first love yet, you sure understand how one would feel when being rejected.” I was amazed by her words of wisdom. She flinched at my comment, though I don't really understand why.

“What you said is very true, and I agree with you but…” I bit my lip.

“Based on your personality, I know you're not going to do what I just told you. You're being way too nice to others. So let's make a deal. I'm giving you two weeks. In two weeks, if you still don't reciprocate his feelings, end it. Does this sound reasonable enough?”

“I guess…” I reluctantly said. I don't fully agree with her idea, but it's still better than to leave the way things are right now.

“Good now, go get dressed, Luhan called and told me that they're coming around noon to pick us up for lunch.”

Elle

Don't get me wrong, I told her to break up with Kris, but it's not for my own benefit. I don't know how, but I managed to move on from Kris. It took less than I expected; I guess I'm much stronger than I thought I was. Even if Kris and Aemi really do break up, I will not be the type of friend who would take that opportunity to try to get the guy to myself. I wouldn’t be a friend if I did so. I get disgusted when even thinking of that. I have principles and I will respect them, and one of them is to never have anything to do with the guy my friend dates, other than being friends with him. Even if Kris were the last guy on Earth, I rather die single than go out with him; I will NEVER cross that line.

The wisest thing I could think of was that solution. I wish there would be another way for Kris to not be hurt, but it's too late already.

Well, good luck to the both of them, and I hope Kris cherishes the next two weeks.

Kai

I've been drinking water for the past half an hour to get rid of my hangover. I have no idea if this will work or not, I just looked it up online, and oh my, I swear, even the light coming from my phone blinds my eyes.

I don't understand why I drank so much yesterday. I'm usually very careful when I go to bars; I stop right when I feel a bit tipsy.

I ruffle my hair in frustration when I receive a call.

“Hello?” I answered tiredly.

“Hey hyung! We're bringing food home for lunch! We're almost there, so you better clear away some stuff so that we'll have place to eat! Bye!” said Sehun, hanging up before I could say anything.

I take a look around, and I see some dirty laundry scattered in certain parts of the apartment. I let out a sigh and started tidying things up while attempting to tolerate this massive headache.

I was done in about 15 minutes, and the door burst open with an excited Sehun saying something like he's super hungry or something. That is so typical of him,

“How are you feeling Kai?” Baekhyun asked as he placed the boxes of food on the table.

“I feel like crap.” I frowned, while rubbing my temples.

“Why did you drink so much? You're lucky Elle was with you or else you would have been in trouble!” Suho scolded me.

“Sorry… I don't know what pushed me to do something so stupid.” I mumbled.

“You really don't remember?” he asked and I shook my head. “You must have had a good dose of soju then.”

“Can we eat?” I asked him and pointed at the dining table to change the subject.

“Soon. We're waiting for Exo-M to come. They said they had to run some errands before coming, but they should be here soon…” he said while taking a look at his phone.

“Alright, I'll be napping on the couch. Wake me up when they're here.” I said and walked over to the living room's couch. I was about to doze off, but Exo-M arrival woke me up. Time to eat I guess.

I love these guys, and they're really fun to be with, but I really wish they could be less noisy today… Basically, all sounds I hear worsen the pain my head is feeling.

“Guess who we brought over?” said Tao. We looked at him and waited for the answer. “AEMI!”

Somehow, I felt a bit uneasy. Perhaps the apartment is getting too crowded for me today.

“And who else…?” I heard Kris say to Tao with authority in his voice.

“And the annoying Shortie!” Tao cheered sarcastically. Oh boy. I see those two still aren't getting along yet. I got up and went to join them at the dining table.

“At least I'm not an ugly panda who thinks he's a big shot,” Elle rolled her eyes.

“Hey! I'm known around the world! I am a known idol! Unlike a nobody like you. People who see me chant my name!” Tao said arrogantly. He's usually not the cocky type, but I guess he really wants to counter anything Elle says to him, haha…

“Oh really?" Elle said. "You don't see me and Aemi scream your name.”

“You will one day, and you'll regret talking so rudely to me all the time.”Tao smirked. “Don’t worry, if you begged me while on your knees, I’ll give you my autograph.”

"You wish. I will NEVER fan girl over you, so don't get your hopes up Panda." said Elle walking towards the table of food, not letting Tao talk back.

Those two never fail to amuse me.

"Oh, and Kai?" Elle called me. I turn around and caught a bottle. "Drink this. It'll help you feel better. I heard the Japanese drink this as a hangover relief."

I thanked her and started drinking the Pocari Sweat. That reminds me, I still have to ask her later about what happened yesterday.

I help set up the table with plates and chopsticks. Exo usually gets about an hour and a half lunch break, so I should help them out in order to save time. As I do that I see Kris and Aemi holding hands while chatting near the kitchen counter. I walk pass them and elbow Kris' arm.

"Mianhae…" I said with no hint of sincerity in my voice.  

Me

“Ouch…” Kris let go of my hand and rubbed his left arm.

“You okay?” I asked him. That was odd… There was clearly enough space for Kai to pass by, yet he bumped onto Kris' arm? It wasn't even a light bump; I think it had quite some force in it.

“Yeah, I'm fine,” he assured me and smiled. “It was just an accident.”

“Yeah…” I shrugged. I wonder what's wrong with Kai today. He has a very dark and annoyed expression on his face. Did something bad happen to him?

“Come let's go eat before the others finish everything,” he took my hand again and we walked towards the dining room.

“You guys look cute together.” Xiumin commented and I let out an awkward, embarrassed laugh.

“Eat some kimchi fried rice. This restaurant makes the best and it's one of my favorite.” Kris took my bowl and started to put some in it. There wasn’t much rice left, and I felt bad since he was helping me get food instead of getting some for him. His friends are all crazy people when it comes to food, and they really have no mercy. If he doesn't eat now, he won't get any later.

“It's alright Kris. I can get the food on my own. My arms aren't that short,” I joked. “Eat some before––

Kai took the fried rice take-out box and ate the remaining of it at a quick pace. He put the now empty box back to its place and wiped his mouth with his napkin.

“That was tasty.” he said with a poker face. That's not very nice of him…

“Oops, I guess I'm too slow haha. Try those kimbap too, and the bibimbap too! They're all one of my favorite dishes, haha.” Kris started to put food into my bowl again. I sigh and didn't try to stop him. I guess he's a gentleman by nature.

The lunch was absolutely delicious. It was a mix of Western and Korean feast. There were French fries, onion rings, and even mini hamburgers! It's a weird combination, but nevertheless, the food was really awesome. I noticed that somehow, right after Kris finishes putting food into my bowl; all of his favorite dishes are gone. There were only the deep fried food, and the chicken dishes left.

Kris picked up a fried chicken wing and began poking with his chopsticks. He didn't seem to like it very much.

“You didn't eat much. You don't like the food?” I asked him.

“I'm not a big fan of chicken; it's not really my style. Oh well, that's what I get for being slow at the dining table!” he forced a smile. I can see he really likes none of the remaining dishes. Since I eat slowly, most of the food he gave me was still untouched.

“Here, have some of these,” I smiled and gave him a couple of kimbap and a few spoons of kimchi fried rice. “You'll need the energy; you said you have dance practice later.”

“Oh, thank you Aemi! That's so nice of you!” he smiled widely as he ate the food happily. Haha, he must have been hungry. “Next time, don't help me get any food. There won't be any left! Your hungry friends eat way too fast!”

“Alright, if that's what you wish,” he smiled.

Kai suddenly stood up loudly, and picked up his bowl and chopsticks.

“Where are you going hyung?” Sehun asked.

“I'm full,” he said coldly and was the first to leave the table. What is wrong with him today? Is he having moodswings?

Kai

Everybody is looking at me oddly, but I really don't care. I can't stand staying there without feeling irritated.

I walk over to the living room and randomly flip through the channels.

“You okay there?” I heard Elle's voice say to me and I looked up.

“Yeah, why wouldn’t I be?” I replied.

“No reason,” she shrugged.

“That reminds me… What happened yesterday?” I asked her seriously.

“You really don't remember a single thing?” her eyes widened.

“Not really… I remember going to Silver Moonlight with you… That's about it.” I tried remembering again, but this was all.

“Seriously? So you have no memory of the things you said yesterday?” she asked incredulously.

“No I really don't. That's why I'm asking you. Wait… Did I say anything embarrassing or inappropriate?” I asked nervously.

“Eh, I guess not.” she answered quickly. “Long story short, you drank a bunch of soju, and you got knocked out. That's it. Speaking about soju… Even though you don't remember drinking them, you better pay me back,” she said putting her hand out. “You're not getting away this easily. You already managed to make me pay for your lunch in high school; you better pay me back for once you cheapo.”

“Alright, alright. Here…” I reached for my wallet on the coffee table and handed her a few bills. “Keep the change.”

“Don't mind if I do,” she grabbed her bag and put the money into her wallet.

“Aren’t you going to tell me what I said to you yesterday?” I asked her.

“Of course I will; just not here,” she said.

“Why not here?” I asked and tilted my head in confusion.

“Well... We could, but you’ll have 12 people that might overhear us,” she answered and looked at me as if I was a big idiot.

“Oh yeah...” I laughed slightly.

“Tell you what, let’s go buy some extra food, since you stole Kris’ portion, and I’ll tell you on the way,” she answered.

“What do you mean I stole Kris’ portion!” I defended myself.

“Don’t try to fool me Kai,” she rolled my eyes. “You’re just jealous, that’s why you’re acting like a real right now.”

“I am not a—” I tried to reason, but Elle cut me off.

“Anyways, wear a disguise or something. Most celebrities like doing that before going out,” she said. I let out a sigh and went to my room to change. I got out in no time with casual clothing, a cap and a pair of sunglasses. She nodded in approval of my attire and we headed towards the door.

Me

Elle and Kai were heading towards the door; I wonder where they’re going. Kai just left without a word.

“We’re going to get some extra food for you guys. I notice someone’s not really full yet,” Elle explained.

“Buy some ice cream while you’re at it!” Sehun said as he took a bit of chicken wing.

“Sure thing, and also, don’t take it personally if Kai treats you coldly today. For those who don’t know, he has a bad hangover, so he can be really grumpy right now. Anyways, later,” she waved and left.

Oh that explains why he’s acting this way. I guess Kris is just his unlucky target of the day.

“Let’s go watch TV while waiting for the food,” Kris smiled.

“Sure, why not?” I got up and followed up to the living room.

Kai

We bought some kimchi fried rice, some jajangmyeon, and some ice cream for Sehun. Elle made me pay since apparently I was really rude to Kris. If she didn’t give me a death glare, I wouldn’t be buying these for him.

We walked over to a nearby park and sat down at a bench.

“Spill. What did I say yesterday?” I demanded. She made me wait for so long already.

“First of before, what is Aemi to you?” she asked me with a dead serious face.

“Stop avoiding my question!” I said in a frustrated tone. She didn’t seem to be afraid of my outburst. “Well isn’t it obvious? We’re best friends of course.”

“Then why are you so jealous? If she’s your best friend, shouldn’t you be supportive of her relationship with your friend? I’m pretty sure Kris is your friend. Before the whole relationship thing happened, I noticed that you guys were pretty close. Why were you so harsh with Kris? You stole his food, you bump into him for no reason,” Elle questioned me as if I were a criminal.

“What’s the point of asking me these questions?” I rolled my eyes.

“Just answer them,” she said directly.

“How should I know!? It’s an impulse I guess! There I answered your question, will you answer mine now? Your answer has been delaying for a while already,” I pointed out.

“Well, last night, you kept bashing on Kris saying that he’s not right for YOUR Aemi, and that she could do way better than him. You said that Kris was too tall or something, and cheesy because of all the things he did with Aemi on their date,” Elle looked up the sky while trying to remember.

“I said that? Well, I guess those are pretty good reasons…” I said and Elle shot me a look. “Wait… Did you say I said My Aemi?”

“Yep,” she nodded.

“Wow, I must have been very drunk to say that. I’m never possessive of her,” I said. “Anyways, is that it? I don’t see why you avoided saying that back in the apartment. This was not worth coming down to buy food for Kris,” I grimaced.

“Oh my god,” she let out a loud sigh and facepalmed herself. “Why are my friends so damn blind?” she mumbled to herself. I ignored that comment, and pretended to not feel offended. “You seriously don’t see the big picture?”

I shook my head as a no.

“Kai, I’m not going to tell you this in black and white, so I’ll tell you this instead. What’s so bad about Kris? What do you have against him so much? If you’re friends with him, shouldn’t you trust or have a bit of faith in him? I mean he has so many good qualities to be a good boyfriend. Try thinking about why you’re so annoyed each time you see Kris and Aemi together. I bet you must feel a slight pain somewhere,” she said.

I looked at her in confusion and blinked several times.

“That’s all I have to say; I tried to help,” she sighed. “If you don’t listen, it’s your choice you confused dummy. Anyways, let’s go back to your place before the food becomes cold.”

Elle

Even when we reached to the front door, Kai looked as lost as ever because of the words I said to him. At least he seems to look better from his hangover. I bet the drink I gave him helped.

Once we entered his apartment, his friends greeted us. He was still cold, but at least he nodded to everyone in response to their greetings. When he passed by Kris and Aemi, he tossed the bag of food onto the table, and luckily, nothing spilled. I shook my head at his rudeness and threw him a glare.

“Sorry for eating you share of food…” he mumbled to Kris. With that, he left and headed towards, I think, his room? He’s probably going to take a nap there.

I hope Kai will be okay soon… This jealousy thing seems to be eating him inside out. If only he knew that Aemi didn’t really like Kris… I sadly couldn’t tell him. I really want to help out my friend, but there will always be parts where he has to figure it all by himself.

Kai

I was walking home late at night wearing a black hoodie with the hood up. Even at night, I need to be cautious to not be recognized. The night breeze that hit my face made me feel relaxed, plus I was listening to music; the way home felt relaxing. Just thinking about landing my head on the pillow makes me smile. I can’t wait to get home.

I was about to cross the streets, until I spot two familiar figures who were about to cross over here.

Kris and Aemi.

The relaxing feeling I had immediately flushed away. I don’t know what was happening, but my feet immediately dragged me towards the shadows of the alley’s entrance in order to be hidden from them. Since they were both busy talking to each other, they didn’t see me at all; not even when they were about to cross the street.

I heard them laughing when they reached this side of the street, and they seemed quite happy together. I poke my head out a bit and peeked at what they were doing. They were at earshot distance, so I took off my earphones to hear what they’re saying.

“This was a awesome night Kris; I really had fun with you, like always,” Aemi smiled widely at Kris. Her eyes were practically shinning from the street lights.

“I’m glad you enjoyed yourself today,” he chuckled and her cheek. That very action makes my cheeks burn up in anger.

“Next time, I get to pick the restaurant though! It’ll be my turn to treat you to something nice! And there’s nothing you can do to stop me in doing so!” Aemi stuck her tongue out.

“Oh yeah? What if I do this?” he smirked. Aemi titled her head in confusion. Kris quickly lifted her chin up, bent down his head to reach her height and crashed his lips onto his.

Aemi looked absolutely surprise, but she slowly kissed him back and wrapped her arms around his neck.

I wasn’t really in control of my actions, but my feet led me towards them. The next thing I knew, Kris was pinned down on the ground by me, and my hands were throwing punches at his face.

“Kai! What are you doing? Stop it!” Aemi yelled as she try to get me off of Kris.

Kris kicked me off, but not long after, he was pinned down again.

“Kai! Stop it! You’re beating him up really badly!” she tried to drag me away. I pushed her off and she landed on the ground scrapping her arms.

Kris’ face was getting bloody, and I can still hear Aemi’s pleas to stop hitting Kris.

At the finishing punch, Aemi threw herself in front of Kris, and my punch hit her face instead.

She looked at me with hurt eyes and tears were on the verge of falling. I backed away from her and Kris right after that.

She gave me one last look and went to check on Kris.

I shot up from my bed for the second time today, and my entire body was drenched in sweat. Oh my god… Did I… Did I really try to punch Kris until he was knocked out…?  I know it was just a dream, but I looked at my shaking hands in shame.

I went to the kitchen to go grab myself a cup of water. It was around evening already, and nobody was here anymore. Exo must have gone back to the SM building for their schedules.

I take a sip of water to calm myself down.

What is wrong with me? Why would I even try to hurt my friend, my brother?