CHAPTER SEVEN: At the Soiree

Beneath Dresses and Tresses

CHAPTER SEVEN: At the Soiree


The party started promptly at 6 in the evening. Everyone was never in a single place as the guests were very much demanding. It has been a while since the household had hosted a party and for the first hour, the servants could feel their body screaming.


There was never a calm place. The young lords and ladies were loud, they were obviously having fun. While the masters and mistresses of the courts were talking, bragging about everything under the sun. There were children too, messing up the cutleries and the service tables. It was a pandemonium to the servants and hopefully, it would end soon.


Nevertheless, the band’s music was beautiful. It was both calming and energising and Sungmin was thankful for the music for it soothes them somehow. He was near the pastry table, fixing the rolls and the trays around. He didn't like running from the kitchen to the garden, but really, he didn't have a choice. He kept on noticing Heechul who was talking with some of the guests, he was all smiles with the young lords of the court, and he was charming over the ladies. Sungmin knew that the maestro knows how to handle people well. He might not like all of them but he surely can stand up with them, and sometimes, higher. And more than that, the young maestro was stunning. He was standing out with his... beauty.


Sooyoung was with her cousins. She had moved from one table to another as if she was the host and she never called for a maid, thankfully. Nevertheless, Younsaeng and Hana didn’t have a problem with that. They seemed to like the authority Sooyoung was giving out. Hana almost kept Kyuhyun on a leash. She kept on calling for him and holding him firmly by his arm. Sooyoung was ecstatic as he was introduced to her cousins; she was all smiles as Kyuhyun greeted the ladies. In all fairness to the young master, he maintained his composure.


Amidst the hustle of the party hours later, Kyuhyun had vanished somehow. It seemed that everyone had managed to create their own worlds in the party and was oblivious with any other else. Sungmin was eyeing the ladies in the garden and realised that the woman from the dress shop was not around. He knew she was not from court but he had somehow hoped for her. She would probably stand out and she would not be as petty as the others.


He shook his head at his own delusions and took some empty trays to be refilled at the scullery. The party would come to an end soon. He would get his rest finally.


He was busy wiping of the trays on the end of the table when a drunken lord had found fancy on the custard rolls and had been munching around that particular table. Sungmin aided the lord as he toppled over his plate and the breads had finally found themselves on the grass. He almost cursed as the scattered pastries went to waste. Thankfully, Eunhyuk was quick to come to help and he managed to force the lord back to his table, a glass of whiskey to bribe him to sit down. Sungmin smiled at his friend before crouching down to pick up the mess. Well, the dogs would have a good meal for the evening.


It happened so fast, he did not quite figure it would occur with so much people around. How a hand managed to grab him away from the crowd unnoticed – he did not know. Everyone was probably just too busy because Sungmin was being dragged into the maze of the garden. The hands were firm and hard, he couldn't see the person behind him and he kept losing his balance. He fidgeted but his arms were pulled onto his back. He was scared, he was panicking. He looked around, it was getting darker, and they were getting deeper. The last thing Sungmin wanted was to be dragged by some unknown person for whatever purpose.


But Sungmin was never a damsel in distress. He was never a damsel. He opened his mouth, big enough to capture the abductor’s hand and sink in his teeth onto the skin. He was frightened but Sungmin would not just scream and get dragged out by someone. He pulled the chain around his neck and uncapped the dirk swinging it towards the person. It happened so fast and Sungmin was unsure of what he had done. He was shaking.


He stared at the crouched figure on the grass and his eyes widened. Kyuhyun was kneeling, curled up and his hand bleeding, he was still sober and the pain seemed to have woken him up more.


“Young master!” Sungmin dropped the small weapon glazed in blood. He bit his lip as he moved towards Kyuhyun taking the injured hand. What was going on? Kyuhyun pulled him out of the party and dragged him somewhere in the garden maze. He took him, scared him, and now Sungmin had hurt the young master. True enough, he would never comprehend the oddity that was Cho Kyuhyun.


Pulling out a piece of cloth from his pocket, he moved towards Kyuhyun and dabbed the blood. It was not deep, thankfully. He bit his lip as he nursed the injured hand, mumbling sorry all over.


“It’s fine.” Kyuhyun’s words were slurred but he was smiling. “I just...” He took Sungmin’s hand and smiled cheekily. His hands were firm and warm. “Missed you.”


He was moving close, his face was inching towards Sungmin and the young maid felt the panic returning. He bit his lip and let go of Kyuhyun.


“Master Kyuhyun.” Sungmin always felt so weak when he’s in Kyuhyun’s presence. He could always feel the butterflies fluttering inside him whenever the young master is an arm’s length away. He could always feel himself drowning over those brown orbs every time. He was scared of the feeling, he was unsure of this because he was not always oblivious of it. “Please.”


He was uncertain of what he was begging for but Kyuhyun just smiled at him as he tied the cloth around his hand. When fixed he crouched down and picked up a dirk on the grass... “You still keep it. I’m glad.”


He straightened up a little and reached for Sungmin’s hand. “Don't fret. I’m sober enough, I won’t harm you.”


Sungmin was startled with what was going on. The young master was becoming more and more unpredictable with each time they encounter and he was unsure if it was good or bad. And why was he clarifying that he was sober? Did he remember that night when he was overly drunk and kissed Sungmin?


He was unsure how to act. All Sungmin wanted to do was to run away; he wanted to return to the party and serve, and do his tasks. He did not want to be alone with Kyuhyun. Surely, things are getting more complicated between them but he did not want to make matters worse. He had enough of the hopes; he had enough of the small wishes inside his head. It was not the same anymore; it was back as to how it was.


Hopefully, Kyuhyun would stop confusing him. Hopefully, he would realise that there isn't anything he could get from whatever he was doing. Because in all honesty, if Kyuhyun keeps on pulling him, then his barriers are going to break.


“Master.” He looked on the ground, not willing to drown into Kyuhyun’s eyes once again. “I need to return to the feast.”


“There are a lot of servants in there. You won’t be a great loss for huge, huge crowd.” He tightened his grip on the maid but it was nothing painful. “Please. Stay with me.”


How he ended up walking with Kyuhyun deeper into the maze of bushes, Sungmin couldn’t fathom. He gave in. He followed Kyuhyun’s plead. He did not know why but he did and he was being frightened by his own impulsive actions.


“I attend parties over the West.” It was the first time the young master had spoken since they started walking. “I like it there because in the gatherings, people were who they are. I go to pubs and men and women dance crazily. I go to sophisticated parties, and the masters and mistresses laugh their hearts content.”


He listened quietly to everything Kyuhyun had narrated. It was mostly about ballrooms from the West and how he would socialise with the crowd. Kyuhyun was not a people-person but he enjoyed the company of a crowd who were close to him. He had mentioned names that Sungmin could not even pronounce, and names that sent his spine tingling in an obvious envy. Nevertheless, he ignored it.


"I only have a few here." Kyuhyun continued. "People I'm comfortable with. Jongwoon. Ahra. That funny kid at court called Changmin..."


He recited all of them bluntly and Sungmin didn't miss the frustration over his voice when he mentioned Ahra's name. Everyone continues to wonder where she is. Well, everyone except her own parents.


"...and you."


He stopped, his breath caught was in his lungs as he turned to the taller man who was smiling at him. Kyuhyun was sober but there was still alcohol in him. The young maid was denying to himself everything that was going on. He stopped his thoughts, scared at whatever might follow. He needed to close his mind. Whenever he was with Kyuhyun but his heart betrays him.


Kyuhyun took him by the waist, his hands gentle as he pressed their bodies closer. His right hand had found its way onto Sungmin's face, caressing it ever so gently that the young maid had to will himself to not close his eyes. He bit his lip, hoping that the young lord would stop. It was not just for the want, it was also for the disguise. Sungmin was not able to clean up his stubble perfectly that day. He was in a hurry, and he was frightened that the young lord would feel it. He tried to move away.


"Sungmin..." His name rolled onto the young master's tongue and it was a beautiful melody. The retort, he was about to throw was swallowed in a soft reverie of Kyuhyun calling his name. He had wanted to negate anything the young master was to say. He almost took a step back and he tried to fight it, he did.


But he can't.


And everything stops.


Kyuhyun was stronger; he was always stubborn to anything he does not please. And Sungmin could not fight him, especially not when his eyes turn his knees turn into a helpless goo. And there they were... kissing, with Kyuhyun holding him firmly as if he was to run away. His hands were on his sides, but when Kyuhyun's tongue poked his lips; his palms met Kyuhyun's side, his fingers curling to the expensive suit the young master was wearing.


His head had been ridden with thoughts but his chest was swelling. He kept on denying everything about it but here he was, guiltily giving in. Kyuhyun tilted his head, pulled him closer, and kissed him deeper. A kiss like this was not how Sungmin had expected it to be. The first time Kyuhyun had kissed him, it was a mere touch of lips, a bit sloppy and wet. But that was because Kyuhyun was intoxicated. This time though, it was different.


Sungmin had always expected kisses to be sweet and pretty. Books had told him that they were magical and perfect. It should be soft and gentle and clean. But this one, it was not. It was messy, and there were a lot of nose-bumping. He could also feel the awkward tangling of tongues and saliva trickling out of there connected lips. He couldn't move freely, and Kyuhyun's teeth and his were clanging against one another.


Sungmin's fairytale was ruined. However though, he liked it. He truly liked it. His chest swelled in more than anticipation. It was not perfect or beautiful, but there was something in it that he could not fathom.


Kyuhyun had been his first kiss, and Kyuhyun was his first real kiss. He liked it so much that his heart was bursting in happiness. Despite the imperfect movements, the sloppiness of the act, it made him happy. It made him content, wanted, and.... loved? Maybe that's how real kisses go. They aren't magical, but they're real, so real you can feel every nerve of your body alive.


Long moments later, they finally pulled apart, flushed.


Neither spoke, they only stared at each other. Sungmin was feeling lightheaded, like he was drunk, and he never was drunk. His lips were swollen, his hands still clinging on Kyuhyun's sides while the master's palm was flat on his lower back.


Kyuhyun openedhis mouth to speak when a voice echoed in the quietness of the maze.


"Sungmin!"


The sound was faint, suggesting a good distance and cover but despite this, they were both alarmed, and Kyuhyun had let him go from the hold. He tumbled a little, his face flushed as he eyed the young man standing close to him. He was holding a blush on his face as he averted his eyes. He was catching his breath as if he had been running. He swayed a little awkwardly as he threaded his hair.


Sungmin had to count one through ten to calm himself down. He looked up at Kyuhyun, waiting for an answer but the call was becoming too close.


"I... I have to go." He murmured quietly and curtsied. He couldn't be seen with the young master alone in the night. He couldn't. "Good night, young master."


Kyuhyun didn't utter a word. He seemed as surprised as Sungmin was and was left tongue-tied in the middle of the garden maze. Sungmin didn't spare him a glance.


Questions were running in his head. Butterflies were dancing in his stomach. He did not know what was circling inside him as he did so but he knew he had allowed himself to fall. For once, someone had broken his defences. Finally, someone was able to etch inside his heart.


"Kyuhyun."


His heart was still jumping when he approached the panting Donghae. The young footman was looking at him in alarm. He knew he was in a dishevelled phase but he just walked towards the other.


"Sungmin. Where were you? Are you fine? Why do you look so flustered?" He asked in worry and Sungmin felt the pang of guilt in his chest when the man pulled him to an embrace. Donghae had been looking for him. He had probably noticed that Sungmin was missing in the usual line of servants in the party.


"I... I'm fine." He answered quietly. "I just got lost in the garden maze but I'm okay now."


"Donghae. Sungmin."


Kyuhyun approached from where Sungmin came from and the young footman stared at the chambermaid questioningly. It was obvious they came from the same area and Sungmin wondered why Kyuhyun would reveal himself. His brows met in a frown as he stared at their master. He was with composure, different from how he was earlier.


"Young master." Donghae bowed.


"A man and a lady alone in the night, in a confusing maze." He spoke low, his tone dangerous as he eyed them. "That is not very good."


Sungmin curtsied late and bowed his head. He avoided any eye contact with Kyuhyun. Where were those gentle orbs that took him by surprise earlier? His lips that had grazed Sungmin's mouth were pursed in a line. He looked up momentarily and found Kyuhyun glaring at Donghae.


It could not be.


Kyuhyun couldn't possibly be mad at Donghae?


"I... I was searching for Sungmnin, young master. It seemed she was lost in the maze." Donghae reasoned out and Kyuhyun moved forward. He ignored the young footman and headed straight to the party.


He stopped when he was near the chambermaid and opened his wounded palm before Sungmin.


"You dropped this." he spoke softly. "It's a good weapon."


Sungmin took the dirk carefully before Kyuhyun walked back to the garden. He swallowed a lump of air as Dongahe looked at him questioningly. Sungmin averted his gaze and started fixing his cap and walked back.


"You were with him!” Donghae came to realise when the banquet table was visible for them. "Sungmin. Oh, dear Lord. You were with the young master."


The chambermaid panicked and clasped the footman's mouth with his hand. He muttered a soft 'ssh' when Donghae's eyes widened in fear and surprise. He shook his head slowly, begging the other to keep his mouth shut.


Sungmin couldn't find a reason to hide it anymore. Donghae would never believe a lie he would give. He sighed softly before fixing himself up and returning to the party, avoiding paths of both Kyuhyun and Donghae for the time being, at least until the party is over.


He did not want to explain himself to Donghae. He did not want to come face to face with Kyuhyun.


The kiss lingered in his head and lips longer than expected. He realised that the places where Kyuhyun had touched him were aching, and he did not know why. Was he aching for the touch yet again? He bit his lip. He couldn't be like this. He couldn't be one of the Bennett’s.


He was no lady, and definitely, he was not a girl.


*****


He was saying a good night to Sunkyu and the rest of the servants past midnight when he found Donghae standing by his bedroom door. It seemed the young footman would want to hear his story before his slumber.


Sungmin sighed as he moved forward, ignoring the young man as he pushed the knob open.


"You know what you're doing is dangerous."


He shrugged his shoulders, too tired to address the accusation. Donghae took him by the arm and he flinched. Sungmin didn't like being handled down and more so by a friend. He bit his lip and pulled his arm away, entering his room quietly.


"Lady Sooyoung had been telling everyone about Master Kyuhyun." The footman continued, following him inside his room. It was not allowed but it seemed Donghae has no plan of leaving Sungmin alone. "She really likes the young master."


"Donghae. Everyone in the villa likes the young master." Sungmin reasoned out. His tone was sarcastic, almost impolite but Sungmin did not care anymore. "The maids have a crush on him. It's not new."


"What happened in the garden?" He asked once more. "Did the young master do something inappropriate to you?"


The protectiveness was there. Sungmin was still a girl in everyone's eyes and of course, men would want him. They also feel the need to protect him at times. He shook his head quietly.


"Nothing."


The silence that followed was suffocating. Sungmin wanted to ask Donghae to leave his room. He wanted to escape any form of judgment from the other and he wanted to be alone. He needed to sort his mind, his heart.


"It's late. We're all tired." He spoke low. "Please, Hae. I could really use some rest now."


The young footman sighed in defeat and walked through the door. He stopped before he could step out. "Master Kyuhyun is mad at me because I'm courting you. He likes you. I can see it in his eyes."


And then he walked away, leaving Sungmin all guilty and confused.




The morning light had woken him from his slumber and it was painful. He had forgotten to put down his drapes the night before. The sky was pale orange, like the leaves falling every second on the autumn ground. It was an hour past sunrise and the chill was excruciating.


Sungmin bit his lip as he lighted his lamp heater on his desk. He had forgotten about it the night before and now his nose was itching for a cold.


"You're awake." Sunmi pushed his door and eyed him. "We should..." She paused and moved closer to him and leaned forward. "You're sick." Her hands met his forehead and Sungmin felt the warmth from the skins that touched. "Get some rest today."


"But...." The head maid shook her head disapprovingly.

"No, Sungmin. It's okay. Get some rest. You had a fight with Donghae didn't you? I saw you two from the garden maze last night. Just... rest." She pulled her to bed and stuffed her with comforters. "I'll send Sunkyu with tea.” She sighed sadly and fixed his drapes. The head maid pulled out another comforter from the small wardrobe and tucked him in. Sungmin smiled thankfully.


“Don't get too serious with Donghae, the poor man isn't aware of what you are." She finished.


Sunmi was always good with her side warnings. One moment she would be caring, the next she would be fierce, Sungmin knew her well and this did not surprise him. He chose to remain silent to avoid anymore complications. Donghae already knew he was with Kyuhyun last night, if he's going to deny any more, stories would just arise, and he did not want that. He knew Donghae would not spurt out anything to their superiors but he knew it wouldn't come for free.


It was then when he was alone did the fear sunk onto Sungmin. The truth frightened him, and the consequences of what the young footman knows would be dire. He should stop it even before the fire sparks. He needed to put it to a halt.


But there was something in his mind, inside his chest. There was a tiny voice, screaming that he has a choice. Sungmin knew his life was never easy. Ever since his aunt had forced him to act as a girl, ever since his father had sold him for a debt. Ever since he was born, he never had a choice, but it was like a door is being opened, it was like, despite the lack of ultimate freedom, there was still a choice.


"Should I?" He voiced out loud.


The question lingers to a couple more. Every time he forced his head to think, every time he allowed his heart to rule over, things get even harder. Should he choose his heart? Should he choose the one thing that in every man that brings about their weakness? Should he give up his defences?


Kyuhyun's kiss from the night before, it spoke of a lot. Kyuhyun's voice, his hold on him. They spoke thousands that even Sungmin could not grasp. He did not understand, but he knew there was something. Even if it was not Kyuhyun who gave the rose, even if there was another lady he liked, maybe if Sungmin would just admit it to himself, it would be fine. At least his feelings would get lighter.


"Sungmin..."


He almost jumped on bed. Sunkyu and Donghae were at the door, face painted in worry. He knew it was Donghae's accord to come; he must've brought Sunkyu to lighten up the mood. The chambermaid was not pleased with how Donghae acted. Even if he was worried, and even if he was right, he didn't have to go all jealous towards Sungmin. He avoided his friends’ stares and eyed the window.


“Minnie... I brought you tea and some sandwich. Sunmi allowed me to skip breakfast to bring this to you. We were worried.” Sunny had brought the tray over the small table. She was always kind, a sister that Sungmin never had in his life. He smiled at her and nodded.


“I probably just need some rest.”He answered bluntly. Sunny sat on the edge of the bed and Donghae remained standing. They were on their daily chore clothes, their eyes heavy and tired. He felt guilty that he gets to rest while the other servants have to continue their daily tasks. He frowned a little.


“My apologies. I did not expect to get sick just like this. I was out late last night.”


“It’s okay...” It was Donghae who answered but his words were too meaningful, Sungmin did not like the tone. “You were too... preoccupied.”


“What?”


“Donghae, we were all busy last night. Sungmin was taking up extra load. It’s not her fault.” Sunkyu defended. She patted Sungmin and took a cup. “Here, Min, it’ll help you warm up.”


They were silent for a while and Sunny stood up. “I’ll have to go for a while. I’ll be back soon.” She stopped in front of the footman and frowned at him. “Be good.”

Sungmin didn’t want to let go of his friend. He knew Donghae would not leave soon. He bit his lip and eyed anything but the other man. Donghae just stood there. Minutes passed and the silence was deafening. It was frustrating and Sungmin had finished the food on the plate. He sat up straight and sighed.


“Donghae, please.”


“I didn’t figure it before. When the young master requested for Jongwoon, I didn’t realise that he was jealous of me. He knew I was courting you. He knew we were friends. He saw the hug, the moments we shared together. He knew about the time we went out. And that time we were at the carnival. I think he even saw me kiss you yesterday before the soiree. He likes you Sungmin. You’re the girl he’s been fantasizing about. He was worried you’re gonna think he likes Lady Sooyoung. He was worried of what you would think of him at the party. I knew, Min. He told Jongwoon. I heard him talking to Master Heechul. He spoke of your name once and I couldn’t be mistaken. I know everything, Sungmin. He likes you and you like him. What do I have against a Master?” Donghae didn’t even breathe. He was furious. He was furiously jealous of the situation.


“But you said it yourself. He is a master. I am a maid. Hae...”


“You like him,” He spoke again. That’s what makes it worse. You like him and he likes you. Kyuhyun gets whatever he wants, Min. And he would get you.”


“I’m not a thing!” He answered defensively. His chest was becoming more painful with all the revelation. Was Donghae telling the truth? Did he hear all of it? Did he confirm it? What was Sungmin to do? He just accepted the fact that Kyuhyun was not interested in him. He just forced himself to believe that the young master was but flirting with him, like how he treats others. But then, everything takes a huge turn.


He swallowed, throat dry, head aching. “I...”


“Donghae!” Jongwoon barged in the room. He looked around, panting. “Why are you alone with a girl?” He looked confused. “Never mind. Follow me to the main house....”


“But...”


“Lady Ahra and Choi Siwon are here. If Master Kyuhyun’s gonna throw a fit, I need two men behind me.” He frowned. “NOW!” The usher left immediately and Donghae looked as confused as Sungmin.


“I’m... going.” The footman said abruptly.


It seemed their conversations were never meant to finish but that was the least of Sungmin’s concerns. Lady Ahra was back.


“Hae...” He called finally. At least he wanted to clear something and he would get it now. “Was The Odyssey good?”


There was a moment of pause that seemed like a damned eternity. Sungmin had his own hunches but confirming it would be better. He wanted to know the truth. The footman shook his head .


“What’s The Odyssey, Min?”


To be continued...


A/N: Did you like this one? I like the "maze" part. It was kinda hard to write... but I managed! ^_^ Thanks lovely readers! You know I love you all! ^_^ Sorry for any mistakes or whatnot in this chapter.
Unfortunately, the next part would be delayed. I'm kinda stuck up with my SPN fandom so I've been neglecting writing. I'll make it up to you! Promise~ ^^