CHAPTER THREE: Twists of the Villa

Beneath Dresses and Tresses

Chapter 3 – Twists of the Villa


The knock on the door made Sungmin sit up, pulling the covers, he tugged on a coat to cover his body. He removed the tie on his hair and allowed the soft locks to fall on his shoulders and finger-combed them lightly.. He covered his pyjama-clad leg with the soft blanket and cleared his throat.


He had asked permission to rest for the remainder of the day and the next. He reasoned that he caught a slight cold after staying up late to attend to the Lady Ahra. Sunmi was quite worried but Sungmin assured her that everything was fine. He just needed rest.


In reality, the young maid didn’t want to come across the young master’s path for the time being. He left him even more confounded than he was; all his actions towards Sungmin are turning the tools in the young chambermaid’s head upside down. More so, the foreign rumblings inside him frightened him. Kyuhyun was a mystery and even with his playful attitude as everyone accuses him of, Sungmin saw something different the night Kyuhyun had returned the dirk to him.


He might be flirting with him but he saw more than that.


"Come in." He spoke softly as Sunkyu entered his room. Sungmin tugged the dirk under his pillow as the young scullery maid smiled at him, a tray of tea on her hands


"I heard you were sick." She said, eyes twinkling with a soft smile. "I brought you tea to warm you up."


She would forever be a darling. Her care and comfort towards Sungmin was something akin to a real sister and the other would never complain. Sunkyu was always a bubbly girl. She cares for others more than herself, despite her constant worries about the slightest thing; she remained a darling to most.


He nodded slightly.


"Must be that time again, huh?" She smiled and Sungmin just shrugged. "I don't usually get sick when I bleed but, it goes different to everyone I guess."


Sungmin remained silent as he sipped on the cup, wanting nothing but to divert the conversation. He didn't like it when women-problems are the topic. Sure, he knew most of them, but the lack of knowledge still might blow his cover and it wouldn't be good. He had seen Yuri and Taeyeon writhe in pain once a month, complaining of cramps and nausea. Lady Ahra had whined to him about it too. She would even request Sungmin to massage her but the young chambermaid had to lie to free himself of the duty. He was a boy, Ahra is a girl. Despite the disguise, he knew his limits.


Sunkyu started wiggling her legs as she sat near him, her dress swinging along as they sat in comfortable silence. The young maid would want to tell him something but she was weighing the situation. Sungmin waited for the girl and he saw her sigh.


“Hey...” Sunkyu started. “You were on rest for the remainder yesterday and well...”


Sungmin stared at the sad eyes of his friend. Sunkyu held a sad smile before speaking once again.


“Lady Ahra left.”


Sungmin stopped. He looked at the young maid once again before confirming what she said. Sunkyu averted her eyes sadly and then forced a smile at him. The name Sunny was given to her by Sungmin because the girl never goes out without a smile. That was why it surprised Sungmin to see her sad like that.


“It seemed, she eloped with Mister Siwon.” The younger said. “I don’t know any more of the details but...”


Sungmin stared at his friend, digesting every bit of information. She wasn’t able to hear anything anymore as every word sank deep.


Ahra ran away. She left her responsibilities in the villa and escaped reality. She took Siwon with her, the one her heart screams for from the very start. She chose love instead of duty. It was plight of the heart.


Sungmin was sobbing as soon as Sunkyu had left him alone. He did not know why but he felt bad, at the same time, he felt glad. He was happy for his lady but at the same time, the thought of her absence immediately made him feel empty. Ahra was one of the persons he had in the villa, and losing her without him knowing saddened him. But he knew, Ahra did it for her own self. She wanted to be free.


As he calmed down in the silence of his room, Sungmin silently wished that one day, he could have the same courage as her.


*


The household was quiet for the next days. The lords and lady of the house were less demanding. It would either be they would lock up in their rooms, or they would be out to court or the church. It was dire.


His lordship and her ladyship were furious of what happened. The visits of the family's lawyer were becoming frequent. Even the servants noticed the changes that occurred in the household. The footmen were required most of the times as well as the chambermaids. Sungmin was no exception and it tired him more than ever.


"Her ladyship is eyeing you." Sunkyu whispered to him as she prepared the roasted pork. Sungmin waited as the young scullery maid garnish the plate.


He turned to her. "What?"


"You're her young ladyship's chambermaid and you were seen talking to Choi Siwon before." Sunkyu explained. "They're going to interrogate you one of these days, Sungmin."


Sungmin shook his head. The last thing he would want is a false accusation. He had no idea of Lady Ahra's plans of eloping, not even a sheath of his imagination could run through such though. Ahra was a responsible woman. She might be whiny but she would always work things out. Her family is forever a treasure to her. And she wouldn't leave such responsibilities to her younger brother.


He sighed as he picked up the plate and walked towards the main house. Donghae and Eunhyuk were standing by the door as they received the dishes from them. Sungmin gave the footmen a soft smile.


She hadn’t had a casual talk with Donghae since the fair. Sungmin didn't want to waste their friendship. He needed to make up to Donghae soon. The space between them is growing and ironically, it was suffocating.


"Where’s Sunmi?" Jongwoon appeared from the staircase and addressed the footmen, he was catching his breath. Donghae and Hyukjae shrugged as they paced up. His lordship would be receiving men of court today. It was their usual suppers with various lords and it was slight of an impromptu. Everyone was on a pace.

"She's off today." Sungmin answered. "Inyoung is..."


"...is busy." Jongwoon finished for him with a snap. "He is to attend to the lords and ladies arriving in two hours."


The first usher cursed silently as he eyed Sungmin, as if thinking hard.


The chambermaid shrugged at him, sensing something terribly unfit. "What is it?"


"I need a basin of ice cold water and a soft towel. Bring me tonic or any pain reliever if you can get them." He ordered. "Send Yuri or Sunkyu, or whoever is available to fetch Doctor Park but pass him through the back." He recited as he grasp on the rails of the spiral case.


Sungmin scrunched his brows, his mouth agape. Jongwoon was never a demanding usher. He was kind and courteous most of the time. He was trained to be a good servant but the panic in his voice this time around alarmed the younger. He could see the beads of sweat that peppered the usher's forehead.


"What happened, Jongwoon?"


The usher shook his head. "Just do as I tell you. No word to others, and bring everything I told you to at the art room, third to the last door upstairs." And with that, he vanished.


Sungmin felt the need for an immediate comply and so he did. Sunkyu had finished preparing dishes and ran to the metropolis to fetch the doctor in a hurry. No footmen could go with her and she had to do it by foot. Bicycles are reserved for most men


When the scullery maid had left, Sungmin dashed to the laundry area and gathered a freshly laundered cloth and a basin of water. He took the back staircase as instructed by the usher. Inyoung's voice echoed from the main hall as he passed through unseen. The other ushers and maids scurried to his command, the supper was announced only earlier that day, and Sunmi had left. With the head maid out, the villa was in chaos, Inyoung was never in charge with preparations. Sungmin then was thankful he was assigned to oversee things that day. Meaning, no cleaning, or serving, just helping out if needed. Taeyeon and the others are there anyway.


When he reached the art room, he knocked gently, not knowing what to see inside. He was panting; Jongwoon's panic had gotten a load on him. He sighed as he pushed the door open.


It caught him off guard when the young master dawned to him, his face pallid like the snow in winter. His eyes were drooping like the moon hiding behind the clouds. And despite the dimly lighted room, Sungmin saw that the young master was catching his breath and had his clothes rumpled against his skin. He gave a long sigh as he moved closer to Sungmin.


"Jongwoon is that you?" His voice was low and tired. He was hunched and he winced with every step.


When he was a few inches away from the shocked chambermaid, he collapsed on top of him, weight giving in to the smaller. The basin fell on the floor, water spilling everywhere and soaking the hem of his skirt.


"Young... master?" He squeaked as he caught the taller man. Thank goodness for his strength, he was able to assist the young lord towards one of the cushions in the room. He pushed him onto the soft couch and sighed.


His palm reached for the man’s face and it dawned to him that Kyuhyun was burning with fever. He gasped in alarm and turned to the spilled water on the floor in haste. The cloth was dampened and for the mean time, Sungmin placed it on the other's forehead.


Kyuhyun flinched upon the contact.


"Hurt..." he murmured helplessly.


Sungmin needed to do something. He was no doctor but he knows how to tend a sick person, more so, fever. He stood up, prepared to leave when Kyuhyun grabbed his arm. "Don’t."


"Young master, please, I have to get something for you." He pleaded, freeing his hand from the unbelievably tight hold. The awkwardness and the fear he always felt with the man dissipated as worry took over him. "Jongwoon would be here."


Kyuhyun's grip tightened and Sungmin almost winced in pain. "No." Older answered.


Sungmin sighed. Maybe he could just wait until the young man had drifted off to sleep. Then, he can tend to him. Kyuhyun is as stubborn as he was when well.


He moved closer and squatted near the sick man. Kyuhyun smiled, his eyes still closed. Sungmin froze when the older started running his thumb against his skin. His muscles relaxed almost automatically as Sungmin moved closer.


"Better." He spoke. "I'm so tired... father and mother are pressuring me..." Sungmin's eyes widened. "If this is what I get when sick... then... I just want to be sick....”


"Young master, being ill is not very good. You should rest and you'll feel better. I won't speak about this if you don't want me to." He answered, his voice controlled. It was obvious that the young lord was hiding his fever from his parents. Being weak should never be a trait of the future master of the house. "Just rest."


Unconsciously, Sungmin's other hand reached for Kyuhyun's hair. His fingers threaded the brown locks and massaged him lightly. Kyuhyun almost purred at the touch and this was enough to make him smile softly. Sungmin remembered his aunt doing this to him when he was ill. He remembered the feeling of comfort and security when someone is close to you especially when your body seemed to give up on you. His smile grew wider.


He did not imagine he could do this, much more hold him close. Sungmin had made sure to not to linger close to Kyuhyun after the kiss on the cheek. But he just couldn't leave him now. It was the first time that Kyuhyun helplessly pleaded. And to be honest, Sungmin did not mind.


Moments later, Kyuhyun finally drifted to slumber, his face softened and relaxed. Sungmin pried his hand slowly from the man and stood up, his legs a little cramped.


"Sungmin you're...” Jongwoon opened the door in urgency and walked to him but Sungmin was quick to stop him, his index finger on his lips.


"Hush... He's asleep."


The usher sighed in relief, his shoulder slumping. "God, he won't sleep when he's sick. Thank goodness you made him lie down. I thought we’ll just have to wait for him to collapse."


"Where's Doctor Park?"


Kyuhyun needed a doctor. There are rumours of various illnesses spreading across towns and even slight fever could not be ignored. Sungmin was worried.


Jongwoon shook his head and moved towards his master. He touched his forehead and frowned. "He's out. Do you have some pain reliever?"


Sungmin took the bottle from his apron pocket and handed it to the first usher. Jongwoon let out another breath. "He didn't want to trouble anyone. He has been reviewing the court rules and business manuals ever since her young Lady Ahra left. He was frustrated and yet, he can’t show any sign of weakness. The whole household would be resting on his shoulders."


"He's only twenty-two years old."'


The pity struck him. The young master was being forced into an obligation he was not prepared to take, it is indeed frustrating. Sungmin did not like it. He had seen the pressures of the lord and lady of the house in the years he had stayed and he knew, even with just a pinch that Kyuhyun himself is not prepared to take such reponsibility.


"He's putting everything in this." Sungmin answered. He picked up the basin and started cleaning the mess he had made. "I'll clean this up and bring you another batch. I'm sorry for this, he kind of collapsed..."


"I understand. I'm sorry for making you care for him. I really didn't know what to do." Jongwoon replied.


"No bother. Call me if you need something, I'll help Yuri and the others at dinner." Usher nodded before he left the room.


Kyuhyun was helpless. It was the first time Sungmin saw the man without his powerful aura. His eyes were closed but his features softened. Somehow, the intimidating young lord vanished and it made Sungmin understand that he was nothing but a young man, a young lad growing up too fast.


*


Doctor Park came later that night. The household was still busy in the receiving area. There were laughter and music and food continued to come and go. Sungmin smiled bitterly as he helped with the service of the guests. The master of the house and his wife were completely unaware of their son’s illness.


Jongwoon was in the area from time to time. At these moments, Sungmin figured that the Doctor was tending on the young master. At least Kyuhyun could rest.


“Younsaeng, Master Kyuhyun did not join us for supper tonight?” One lord inquired and Sungmin had to bite his lip to prevent a gasp from escaping. Jongwoon caught his gaze and he shook his head lightly.


“Ah, he’s reviewing manuals for a meeting tomorrow with some businessmen from overseas.” Younsaeng reasoned out. “He had extended his regret of not being able to join us today. Perhaps, on your next visit.”


The lord nodded in agreement. "He is indeed a hardworker." He commented and took a sip of his black coffee. The lord's eyes were dark and dull. They were almost bored as he conversed with his colleagues. They stench of tobaccos and wine.


“On the Sunday after this coming, it would be my daughter’s nineteenth birthday." The old lord spoke. Sungmin finished placing the last slice of bread on the serving glass. "It would be good if you could come.”


Her ladyship nodded vigilantly and leaned towards her husband. She loves socialization, parties and the like. She likes flaunting what she has... what she was.


“Of course, Master Choi. We would gladly come.” The master answered immediately and all other guests willingly accepted the offer.


“I guess it is about time that Sooyoung meets Kyuhyun, don’t you think?”


Sungmin poured the last drop onto one of the cups and stood up. He curtsied and headed for the door. The conversations were becoming personal and not even maids and ushers are allowed to eavesdrop. Jongwoon and Donghae bowed their departure.


“It’s about time we think about marriage, after the young lady of the house goes on her own.”


His chest thumped. He almost collapsed on the floor as the last bits of the conversation died in his head. What was that about? Kyuhyun was ill the whole day; his parents knew nothing about it. They were socializing, talking of plans for their ill son without any concern. And what about Ahra? Don't they have plans of looking for her?


"Min, are you fine?" It was Donghae who approached him. He smiled softly, not really knowing if he was indeed fine or not. He nodded, not understand the sudden fury in his chest.


Donghae took his arm and guided him as they walked through the corridors of the main house. Jongwoon had vanished somewhere already. He gladly accepted the offer as they headed to the scullery junction.


Passing through the main hall, Sungmin paused for a while and looked up, eyeing that lone door at the corner. Was Jongwoon able to send Master Kyuhyun back to his room? Or was the young lord still sulking in the art room? He sighed and turned his eyes back, walking to the scullery, and wanting nothing but to retire for the night.


What was he thinking? He isn't allowed to worry over his young lordship. He was not even his usher. He's a chambermaid. He shook his head, unaware that a pair of eyes was watching him and Donghae through a gap from the young master's room.



*


It was uneventful. The days in the villa were returning to normal after the young ladyship left. Autumn was running fast and the chill was spreading every hour. Sungmin was on his rest day and he deemed it well to take a walk at the older part of the villa. He would like to spend his day reading.


Jongwoon had told him of the young master's recovery. It seemed it was plain fever and stress. The Heads of the house never knew of their son's illness and continued with their daily lives. They seemed to be too engrossed with the thought of the upcoming soiree they intend to attend to.


Jongwoon and Donghae had been sent out to the tailor shops and Sunmi and Taeyeon were with her ladyship most of the time. Sungmin had been spared of the preparations as his young ladyship hasn't returned. They haven't heard a word from Ahra till yet.


Finding a good spot from beneath a maple tree, he spread his skirt and sat cross-legged on the well-kept grass. The area might be old and unused but good old Youngwoon remained to polish the plants. Sungmin was grateful to him.


He sat quietly and finally opened the book he missed reading. He smiled as he read the words, matching letters and letters until he made sense of them. He smiled as he absorbed the story little by little. He liked where everything was going.


He did not how know how long but it could have been hours. He moved on a few pages before he stopped, exhausted from all the mental effort he was making. He smiled, satisfied with himself. He straightened his cramped legs and stretched his arms. Rest days are better spent peacefully than going out and spending money.


"You're reading again." The familiar voice surprised him. He straightened up and looked at the form shadowing the sun. He felt his chest leap as the young master caught his gaze. He smiled at him before sitting beside him. Kyuhyun was wearing a coat made of thick cotton and a white chemise underneath. His pants were reaching his ankles, meeting with his leather boots. Sungmin swallowed air as he watched the older man.


He was clad in his usual cleaning dress and apron, only with a cheap shawl to make up for the cold. Thankfully, the sun had been a good source of heat for that certain day.


"Young master." He almost exclaimed. He didn't know that members of the household still visit the place. Kyuhyun, as he had known, was always an exception to the household and it was not anymore new to him. He opened his mouth but he couldn’t find any more word to say as the lad stared at him meaningfully.


"I want to thank you." He spoke once again. "You took care of me that day. Jongwoon told me."


He bowed low, clutching his skirt as he remembered how Kyuhyun looked so weak and vulnerable on the couch. "There was no one who could tend to you, young master. It was my duty."


Sungmin blushed as the young man chuckled beside him. Kyuhyun raised his head to the skies and closed his eyes. The sight was beautiful, his admiration for the young master's features increased a thousandfold as he watched him sit like that. He was indeed handsome. Sungmin wondered how such young man is still without a lady.


Then he remembered his responsibilities to the households and the business. His parents are to choose for him. Kyuhyun is handling an obligation that not even love could hinder. Sungmin sighed softly.


"You were kind. You put up with me, something even Jongwoon can't do."


"You weren't as stubborn as they say you were when you're ill."


Kyuhyun looked at him and smiled. “Maybe because it was you." Much to his surprise, the young master took his hand in his and kissed it gently, allowing his skin to linger on his lips for a little longer.


It was on instinct to pull his hand away.


The young master seemed to be as surprised but was immediately composed. He smiled softly.


"Forgive me." He said again. “I did something not right of a gentleman and I didn't apologize soon enough." His voice was low. What was happening? Sungmin was missing something in his words but he couldn't quite figure.


"You’re still probably insulted and you took care of me out of duty. But you know, in the West, a kiss on the cheek means a form of gratitude, a form of admiration."


Sungmin wanted to say no. He never did it out of duty. He only said that because that was expected, but he really was worried for the young lord. If he could stay there instead of Jongwoon, he would. His duties as a chambermaid forbid him, though.


"I..." he spoke but stopped when the man giggled.


"I am unsure if you're going to believe whatever I'm going to say but..." Sungmin shifted a little, he tried to avert his own gaze and free himself of those hypnotizing brown orbs. He couldn't. "You piqued my interest, Sungmin. I want to know you more and I’m not saying this just to gain your eye."


The words came out of Sungmin's mouth before he could stop it. "Like a friend?"'


The book slid down his lap and made a soft thud on the ground. Kyuhyun picked it up and scanned the pages, stopping at exactly where Sungmin stopped. He smiled as he read the gist.


"I have other books I could lend you." He spoke. "Romantic novels are too vague and one-sided. I have adventures and wars, those that tackle real lives and pain." He was almost boasting and for a moment there, the intimidating aura was back. He smiled proudly at the young maid.


"And yeah sure, like a friend." He grinned widely and Sungmin couldn’t help but return the gesture. He liked this Kyuhyun, he liked him warm and inviting. He liked him better this time around and the thought made him smile.


Kyuhyun leaned closer to him, his smile never leaving his face. "So?"


Sungmin would want to say an immediate yes. He wanted to nod and tell Kyuhyun that the idea enthused him but then he caught sight of the apron around his waist. He frowned and shook his head.


"I apologize, my lord but..." He eyed the man. "I am a mere servant."


Kyuhyun chuckled and then it turned to a full laugh. Sungmin was confounded, unsure of the young master. He shifted away from him, suddenly worried and scared for his own self.


"It doesn't matter." The young lord answered after he had calmed down. "I like you." The words rung in Sungmin's ears and suddenly, his body temperature rose despite the chill. "I like you and I want to be friends with you. You're the first maid that has ever gotten my attention and it's not at all bad. You make a good company more than my classmates or the court members...”


Sungmin's mouth remained shut. He did not know how he would react. He had always thought that friendship only happens on the same class, how he was friends with Sunny and Yuri and Donghae and Eunhyuk because they were of same level. He was not entirely acquainted with Jongwoon or Taeyeon because they're higher than him, and he's entirely scared of Sunmi and Inyoung combined.


He had never had friends of higher status other than the chambermaids and the scullery maids. He had acquainted himself from sellers in the market but he wouldn't count it as such. And now, an offer of friendship from a young lord? He can't even imagine it.


"I hope you're not mad at me over the kiss incident." Kyuhyun blabbered and Sungmin flushed. "It was wrong of me, and I made an impulsive move. It was definitely not right."


“I...”


"Think about it. I promise to be good." Kyuhyun stood up, his face serious but soft. He looked at Sungmin before smiling again and turned around.


"Why me?" Sungmin spoke out his thoughts, utterly confused and scared. "I mean, why... of all people in the villa... me?"


Kyuhyun snickered before he leaned closer to him. "Didn't you hear what I say?" He smiled softly. "I like you."


To be continued


A/N: I'm just overwhelmed by the responses I think I don't deserve. But you all should know how grateful I am. You made me so happy with every comment you made. I love you all! HAPPY KYUMIN DAY! ^^

I got 100+ subscribers for just two chapters posted. You don’t know how much you’re making me happy. Thank you so much, everyone. I wish I can hug you all right now. ;A;

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

 

monkeylovesfishy0415 - thank you bb. This is really a new setting for me. I'm trying my best to make this good, and I hop you like this update!! ^_^

 
x konnito - I'm glad  you don't find this boring at all. I hope I'm making progress! :D
 
x sungmine - I can imagine Min in a maid outift too!> He's too cute and pretty everyone just falls for him! :D Hope you like chapter 3♥
 
x gadsmin7 -thanks bb! We got a boy and girl Min here. LOL. This cross dressing theme is a bit challenging to write. I sometimes forget about the outfit. heheh! The setting for this was inspired by 1900s London era. So we could see that there are more Western bases in this than from the East :D
 
x CoFFiee - Thank you Fie! I'm glad you like this! So much complications in this story. We'll see! THANKS BB!
 
x thisisinsomniax - Sungmin is in a much heavy predicament. And here goes flirty Kyuhyun on his way that adds up to his problems... I'm glad you liked this and I hope you like this third part too! :D Ahra.. well, you saw it now. :)
 
x zozo01 - thank you so much! :D
 
x jeskyu - definitely, Sungmin is in a difficult situation. He'll need all the luck to get through this.
 
x darkangels - thank you! I"m glad you like this! :D
 
x bedhairrrr - Awww.. thank you! I'm glad I was able to make a good visual of the events! Hope you liked this thrid update too! :D
 
x AwkwardAsian13 - thanks dear... well Sungmin needed to pretend, he's in a very difficult situation.. :/
 
x kyuririn - thank you so much bb! :D
 
x hyunsmiley - aww. thanks dearie.. We'll have more haemin some time soon :D
 
x marupekopeko - thank you! Classic romances kinda inspired me for this :D Sungmin is too pretty eve as a guy and more so as a girl. :D Kyuhyun is such a flirt andit's obvipous he fancies our dear Min.. 
 
x Bellpoid01 - Thank you bb! Glad you like it!
 
x gidibuboo - We'll see more on the topsy turvy life of Sungmin. There;s Donghae and Kyuhyun. It'll be very hard for him :D Thanks bb!
 
x ChoKyuRen - Thank you dear! Glad you like it!
 
x mingpeach - ooh thank you! I'm super happy you like this! and yeah, the young master saw the pretty Lee Sungmin :D What would he do? hohoh!
 
x PinkFish - Thank you bb! I hope you like this update! :D
 
x ichathoriqlover - hohohoh! Sungmin captivated his young master with his beauty... :D We'll see more soon!
 
x kyumin718 - thank you so much! Hope you like this! :D