CHAPTER TEN: Causeries and Effects

Beneath Dresses and Tresses

CHAPTER TEN: Causeries and Effects

There was no Kyuhyun.

Three nights passed and there was no visit from the young master and Sungmin was worried. Even from before, he did not like tell tales. They imply another truth and alter everyone's perception.

He knew though, that the causerie was part of their everyday lives. If considered, it would be a form of entertainment for all. Servants are free to talk about anything, any time and it is very obvious that even the lords and ladies know about it. As for his situation, Kyuhyun should have known about it as well and there was nothing Sungmin could do.

He knew he should not be worried for there was no truth behind them. But it was a different case for Kyuhyun. It had been just a few days, nights, in particular and Sungmin was not ready to give up the fantasy he was living in. If Kyuhyun assumed that Sungmin is indeed with Donghae, then his interest and all the efforts he had done towards the maid were naught. More so, Sungmin could not even attempt to suppose that Kyuhyun is thinking ill about him. It was just not right. And more importantly, he did not want it to end, not as immediate as it was.

The stories were not enough to stop the risks he had done. He had exerted too much. Unfortunately, if Kyuhyun, though, chooses to, then there was really nothing he could do.

It was funny on how he was adamant about it weeks ago, how in denial he was to the things happening around. And now that he had finally accepted it, it returns to the sad reality he should swallow.

Sungmin has been living in a burden all his life and his moment of happiness is slowly ending. Indeed, life is a trick sometimes, and it hurts you even more than how you expect it to.


It was the fourth night. The servants’ quarters in the East halls were smaller but Sungmin found it cosier especially at night. He could linger in the dark and relax every time he needed to. There was a small fireplace at the corner and the coals were still lighted up. The room had been kept warm.

He tried waiting for Kyuhyun even at the old garden maze but as usual, there was no sign of the young master. If given the chance, at least Sungmin wanted it to end properly and with the truthful explanation. But maybe Kyuhyun was not really serious about it, he should not have considered it anyway, and now the fall-backs had him hard.

He was sipping on a cup of tea when the door opened and it was on instinct for him to straighten up. In all hopes, he was waiting for those brown orbs to look at him but he only got dark ones, pretty dark eyes.

It was Victoria. She was hugging herself as she entered the quarters , immediately smiling softly at the young chambermaid.

“Good evening, Sungmin.” She greeted. “Can’t sleep tonight?”

In disappointment, Sungmin could just shake his head and smile sadly.

Victoria sat on the opposite couch and spoke a soft “Me neither” before they both sat in comfortable silence.

He did not mind the time, the presence of another beside him. It comforted him somehow and the thought of being alone once again for the night dissipated. Victoria was silent, and yet, she was a good company. They just sat there, sharing cups of tea enjoying the warmth of the indoors and the hum of the wind outside.

It was until Sungmin was on his last cup did Victoria speak.

“I received a telegraph from my mother earlier.” Her voice was solemn and calm but there was that tinge of worry. “My daughter is once again sick.”

It did not occur to Sungmin that Victoria has a daughter. She looked so young and vibrant to be supporting a child. He leaned closer, showing his willingness to listen. Companionship is one value servants share. They live together, they work together, and they are all alone when they started their service. Victoria might be a nurse maid but it does not make her less of it. She is as everyone is... alone.

“She is staying in our home town overseas. I had to go here to work and support her. She’s very dear to me.”

Sungmin learned that Victoria was finishing her medicine degree when her lover got her pregnant. She was awarded license before she gave birth to Jiah and finally got married.

“He was a chef at a famous cruise ship.” The sadness in her voice denoted a warning and Sungmin reached for her. Victoria was always smiling. It was very easy to be with her. Indeed the saying was true, ‘the saddest people are those that smile the brightest.’

A lone tear drop from her eye before she continued. “He died saving many. He was a hero.” And Sungmin knew now the reason the doctor was sacrificing the distance to support her child. Any mother would, and despite the injustice of life towards her, she was holding on.

At that moment, Sungmin realised that he was not alone. He was not the only person in the world with burdens that can pull you down, that can empty your canister of hope. There are different people, different problems that needed to be faced.

He was living a good life still. Good things still happen.

They sat for a couple more of minutes before finally deciding to retire for the night. Victoria was grateful for the company and so was Sungmin. He wished Jiah well before they separated on the hallways to their own chambers.

*

Two more nights passed before Sungmin had finally felt Kyuhyun’s presence in his life once more. He had been frustrated and worried for days already and even with his constant hopes, the young master seemed to have walked away from him.

Ahra and Siwon were present at the main hall for a luncheon. It was a preparation for the annual yuletide ball at the courts and lords and ladies would be having the talks.

All servants in the east halls were retracted to be able to help in the main house for the meal. Sungmin had been missing out on major meetings in the mansion and moving in a quick pace is taking a toll on him. He had gotten used to the slow pace in the east house.

For that day, they were all wearing pastel pink dresses, patterned with soft yellow aprons, tresses tied on a bun; no caps, just bands around their hairlines.

Sungmin was walking amongst the line of the maids as they fixed the catered food to be served. The trays were lighted underneath and they were all set.

The buzz of cars and sound of hoofs echoed from the outside and it signalled the arrival of the guests. Younsaeng and Hana were descending the stairs, obviously excited. Sunmi and Inyoung curtsied and bowed as they reached the landing. All other servants were immediately in file and followed suit in the act. It had been weeks since Sungmin had seen his high master and mistress. They were still up on their heads, faces firm with authority. Nothing has changed.

Ahra came next. She stepped out of the library in a red dress. Her stomach bump was a little obvious now even with the empire cut design. She was still so pretty despite her husband teasing her of gaining weight. Siwon was on her side, handsome in his black suit and hat. The master of the house was polite enough to greet them both, embracing his eldest daughter. Hana was hesitant and she remained quiet at the side. The family image had to be kept intact and Younsaeng had wanted Ahra to be there for people to see.

When the greetings were done, Sungmin walked behind his lady. Ahra smiled at him and he half-curtsied. She dressed and prepared herself, not wanting her chambermaid assisting her any more. The young lady had grown independent ever since she returned. Victoria had the day off and Ahra did not want to burden her with the formalities.

Hyukjae headed to the main doors, tapping the floors with the cane to put everyone on attention. He looked around before grabbing the knobs to push them open. A scampering of feet echoed and Sungmin turned. Kyuhyun was hurriedly going down the stairs, his tie loose, his coat falling off his shoulders and his hair effectively dishevelled. Jongwoon was running after him, a white towel, and a fedora on hand. He first usher seemed rushed.

"You're late, again." Hana whispered to him as he finally landed with his family. He shrugged noncommittally and grinned.

"Kyu..." Ahra went close to her brother, fixing his coat and tie. "What were you up to again?"

"The tavern was a pretty place. I kinda lost track of time and left at sunrise. Ahra heaved a sigh. Sungmin heard it from behind and he had to hold himself to not gasp. Kyuhyun was going to taverns? A place masters are not allowed to? He could get hurt, get killed in there.

"Stop it. Jongwoon's going to get reprimanded if harm comes your way."

Sungmin could only see the young master snicker at his sister before the first guests entered and the high master and mistress were quick to welcome them. There were immediate laughter from the court lords and if Sungmin and Kyuhyun snorted at the same time, it was coincidental, something that caught both their attention.

Their gazes met it what seemed like a slow reel. Everything moved in quick pace aside from them and even before Sungmin could turn away, Kyuhyun had but not before he had winked at him.

Sungmin bit his lip in shock. It was going to be a long day.

*

It must probably have been the hustle in the household, or Ahra eating more than was allowed of her. It must have been Kyuhyun's deep stares at him or maybe Donghae's obvious attention towards Sungmin. It might even have been Heechul greeting him a good noon and kissing him on the hand like a lady or Younsaeng laughing with Siwon. But nevertheless, it must have been everything else because Sungmin failed to notice that one guest in that luncheon that he did not expect.

It had been a long while. Sooyoung had left the villa for days already, weeks, even, and Sungmin had forgotten that encounter in the dress shop.

Sooyoung was at Jeju, as he overheard the other court ladies. Her eldest sister was getting married to an overseas businessman and it would be a while before she could comeback. Upon the news, Sungmin could not help but be relieved. Sooyoung had imposed herself on the Cho household while the Lady Ahra was gone. Now, that the true lady of the house is back, she can't fight a losing battle. Sungmin would hope for the best.

Now though, Sungmin stood in shock as the beautiful lady from before approached Ahra across the ball room.

"Ahra, my dear." She gave her the usual greeting. Sungmin was thankful for his proximity with his lady.

"Hyori, it has been a while." Ahra greeted back. "I am overjoyed to see you here. Where is Donghwa?"

"He could not be here. He went to the East for reviews and he wanted to finish his work before the holidays so he can be with us. I'm coming here on his place."

Ahra nodded. They walked quietly to one of the tables and sat. Sungmin stood behind his lady when Lady Hyori caught his eye.

"Oh, hello. I thought you were from the Choi household in the centre."

Sungmin curtsied in respect and shook his head. "I am Lady Ahra's chambermaid, my lady. Lee Sungmin."

There was a sparkle on her eyes. Lee Hyori smiled wider as she moved closer to her. She was very endearing, beautiful, and kind. She was still the same as she was, if not, prettier. Ahra giggled beside her, caressing her tummy.

"She's been with me for ages. I don't know but she is the best that I have and I won't ask for anyone."

Sungmin felt himself blush at the compliment. Ahra was always grateful of him. She was always caring towards Sungmin and she treated him like a good friend and not just a servant. But more so, Ahra had never talked highly of Sungmin in front of others, especially to ladies.

"You are lucky then." Hyori commented. "Mine is always preoccupied with the kids. The nanny would come only at day. Donghwa and I are pretty hands-on with our children."

"I plan to be that way too. In fact, I wouldn't ask for a nanny when the baby's born. Victoria is very good in teaching me. I'm quite excited."

"It would come soon, Ahra. And I really wish all the best for you and the baby."

"Thank you. Oh, and Hyori... The business you mentioned before, has it been well?"

Hyori smiled once more. They leaned closer to one another and Sungmin moved away, not intending to eavesdrop on to anything any more. It must have been a sensitive matter. Ahra nodded at her and it was his cue to leave his lady for a while.

He started fixing one of the tables when Kyuhyun sat on a chair and smiled sheepishly at him. He did not stop whatever it was he was doing but he moved closer to the young master.

"I went to the tavern last night." He said. He was not properly seated, too comfortable, a glass of expensive wine on hand. He was not wearing his hat, and his hair was sticking out everywhere. Nevertheless, he looked handsome as always and the young chambermaid fought to not look at him directly. "Actually... I've been there for a while. Hoping to learn."

Sungmin straightened his head and looked at the guests. Everyone seemed to be indulged in their own world and he sighed. He turned to Kyuhyun's direction and leaned closer, still avoiding his eyes.

"As far as I am aware, the tavern is no place of knowledge, my lord."

Kyuhyun grinned and downed his glass scrunching his face as the last drop vanished on his throat. He pulled a random appetiser on the table before standing up. Everyone was now heading to the round table for the main meal. He leaned close to Sungmin, breath tickling the chambermaid’s ear.

"But they taught me a lot about simple living. Maybe... If I'm okay with it, you'll choose me more over that little usher...” He nodded towards the direction of Donghae who was busy pulling chairs for the ladies and walked away.

Sungmin was left dumbfounded with the words and he finally understood. He let out a breath he was holding when the young master was seated with the group. So he really knew.

*

The day continued on but only the lords remained and they stayed at the study. The other chambermaids were relieved and Ahra was resting in her original room. Siwon had been invited in the talks too and Sungmin was grateful that Kyuhyun had to be leashed up in the room with the old lords.

Sungmin was helping in the scullery when a knock made them all jump. It was just the maids and cooks inside, no matron or head maid since they were with the masters and mistresses in the study. They turned to see Kim Heechul grinning by the door.

“Hey, pretty lady. Ahra’s looking for you.” He signalled to Sungmin, a smirk painted his face. He sashayed back to the corridor until the maid was right behind him. "Follow me, gorgeous."

Heechul was comfortable in the mansion. He had always been there with Kyuhyun and he had all the liberty and perks in the place. No one questioned Heechul's authority in the villa. In fact, everyone loves him more than Sooyoung.

They were walking back to the main house when Heechul abruptly stopped, almost making Sungmin his back. Sungmin bit his lip as the young maestro turned to face him.

“You’re with the usher?”

News indeed travels fast in the villa. Even if it was none of Heechul’s business, Sungmin sighed and shook his head.

“No, my lord. Donghae and I are friends. I had made that clear to him but it seemed our closeness has been misinterpreted by the lot.”

Heechul smirked at him and nodded approvingly. Sungmin did not understand.

“I really like you for my friend. You see, Kyuhyun had been smitten by you since his idiotic gaze met yours.” He turned back to the direction they were heading but made a turn at the back porch. The chambermaid followed. “He really likes you and I even had to use his affection towards you to make him better in music. I thought it was a bad idea, him and you but you two are adorable together.”

Sungmin still could not understand why the other was telling him all of these. Only, he had an idea already and if this is how it goes, at least Heechul is aware of his non-existent relationship with Donghae.

"I swing both ways, if you know what I mean. And I was interested in the young master until I figured how smitten he was with you. Did you know he hated the fact that Sooyoung introduced him to her friends. Kyuhyun... he's quite serious about this, you know."

Sungmin was about to retort, say something to defend himself even if it was obvious that Heechul knows about his and Kyuhyun's little escapades at night. But whatever he was about to say was interrupted with the door swinging open and Heechul heading to the foyer.

"That's enough for now. Thank you for being honest with me." And he headed to the door leading to the music room. He gave Sungmin a wave.

"Oh, Sungmin." Sungmin jumped to see Ahra descending the stairs. "I'm returning to the East halls now. I would like to retire for the night."

He helped his lady back to their halls. Ahra was quiet, sighing from time to time. It seemed that the whole day of festivity had tired her out. Siwon was still at the main house and she did not want to disturb him, not now that Younsaeng is being fair with the lad.

Sungmin had tucked her to bed and was planning on returning to the main house when he was pulled abruptly towards one empty bedroom. He gasped when cold hands grabbed his own as the door was pushed to close. The room was dark but Sungmin need not to be told who it was.

He sighed in relief before his waist was grabbed and pressed against the other's body. On instinct, he smiled as the familiar brown orbs met his, sparkling against the light from the windows.

"Hi." Kyuhyun greeted him in his low tone, nuzzling his ear as if his life depended on it.

"Hi." he responded, willing himself not to give in and mewl to the touch. "How are you?'

"I'm good now."

"You weren't earlier."

"I was not and Heechul had to knock on some sense to me... again." Kyuhyun pulled back a little kissing Sungmin's crown before meeting his gaze once more. "Forgive me for my shallowness. I was... jealous."

Sungmin could just nod, understanding the predicament the young master was in. Still, the flattery of the word "jealous" was incomparable and his chest was swelling in want. He felt relieved, it was well, and there were no arguments on their part. He had almost given up, he had almost accepted the fact that Kyuhyun had walked away. But he didn't. And Heechul helped him once again.

"I'm sorry." He said. "I did not mean to have such stories spreading. I was unaware and Sunny did assume and it went out like wildfire."

"And I should not have believe them..." Kyuhyun whispered to him and finally captured his lips.

How long has it been? Sungmin felt it was ages ago and he had missed it. He missed Kyuhyun's lips against his. He missed how it feels to be secured in his arms. He missed how Kyuhyun would hold him like he was the most precious thing in the world. He missed the feeling of being... loved.

Kyuhyun's hands dipped to the curve of his waist, pulling him closer as he entwined his fingers around the master's nape. He felt his back hitting the wooden door as Kyuhyun left his lips and travelled down to his jaw, slowly, very slowly nipping his neck to the base. He felt the lace of his collar being tugged and line loosened. He felt cold air hit his shoulder before Kyuhyun's lips on it. Lower... and lower...

Sungmin gasped, opening his eyes and pushing the young man away.

Kyuhyun was so near, he was so near on seeing what Sungmin really was and if the servant had not been quick enough, he would have revealed himself.

"I... I can't." He murmured shyly, fixing his clothes the way they were. Kyuhyun just stared at him lovingly. He was smiling and he moved closer.

"It's fine. I lose track as well..." He scratched the back of his head. "Sorry, you must feel violated."

"I don't!"

He wasn't. Sungmin, for the love of the heavens, knew he wanted it. He enjoyed it, loved it even and it was not even Kyuhyun's fault. It was his frustrating secret that had impeded them. And maybe it was a good thing because Sungmin would never know what he would do if things continued. Kyuhyun took his hand and kissed it.

"Thank you, Sungmin. Thank you."

*

The days... or rather nights were back to how they were. Kyuhyun visited him. He would sneaked out of the main halls and would knock at his bed room. They would linger at the scullery, or the servants' quarters, or the waiting area in the eastern hall. It was peaceful and beautiful at the same time and Sungmin did not want it to end. He had always been dreaming of the domestic love story, the sweet meetings and roses and dinners, and even if he could just get half of it, he was glad.

Kyuhyun did not do anything close to the incident in the bedroom. He did nothing that could 'violate' Sungmin any more. But more than ever, he was, as to put it, sweeter. Sungmin was grateful for it. He may be living in fantasy but he knew his limitations. When things get a little bit far, he had to stop.

But he was getting dangerously close to that line... that line they call... love.

"Sungmin!!!" Sunkyu had jumped out of nowhere, her face in full glee.

Sungmin had just finished shopping at the marketplace for Ahra’s needs. The young lady had been cured of her flu and had been craving for various foods. Victoria had told them this would occur on the second to third month of pregnancy, and indeed.

Siwon had been summoned home from his usual work at the bank whenever Ahra would get emotional. There were days wherein the spasms were too much to bear. Victoria had noted that Ahra is having a ‘difficult’ pregnancy. This usually happens for first time mothers. Although, the mother’s attitude does not affect or could not determine the baby’s health condition, Victoria was certain that Ahra would be fine.

“It has been a while.” Sunny smiled at him, helping him with the bags he was carrying. The snow has thinned since the day before and it was apt for a little trip to the market. It was not as freezing as it was the other day. “Sungmin...”

Sungmin greeted his friend with equal glee. He walked with Sunny to the main porch.

“There’s something different about you.” The younger maid teased. “You’re... blooming?”

Sungmin could not help but blush. It was evident that he had been smiling more lately. He was more enthusiastic and agile. Surely, it has something to do with his secret meetings with the young master of the house. Sungmin did not want it to be that obvious, but he could not help it, he was feeling very light.

“I’m good.” He commented. “Probably because of the lesser work in the East hall. We don’t have much chores in there since it’s just Lady Ahra and Mister Siwon.”

Sunny nodded in agreement, commenting how envious she was when Yuri had narrated the lax environment in the other house. The main house had been busier in the winter season,. There were a lot of meetings and talks, and wine parties because of the cold. Sungmin was indeed fortunate to skip out all the festivities.

“I have not gotten proper rest since the last luncheon your lady had attended. Mistress had been inviting various people in the mansion. I have seen new faces since the other week. Oh,and Lady Sooyoung would be returning before Christmas. Did you know that there would be a formal engagement by new year?”

Sungmin stopped. The news of Sooyoung returning did not please him. It must just be a visit since Kyuhyun had clearly announced his distaste of her staying in the main house while his sister is at a separate hall. But the idea of a formal engagement means that the whole city centre and neighbouring areas would learn of it. And the marriage would be legalised.


"I... did not know." He spoke, obviously shocked of the news. "I guess the master and mistress had planned this with the young master."

Sunny shook her head sadly. "Sungmin... The young master know nothing of it, I just overheard Sunmi arguing a bit with the Lady. You know how they are sometimes and you know Sunmi tends to forget her position whenever the lady makes rash decisions."

So the heads of the household was taking desperate measures. Sungmin did not know why they are rushing such engagement. Probably, Ahra leaving had taken its toll on the family' reputation and they have to regain their spot in the court.

"Rumours say that the Cho family..."

"... Was supposed to merge with the Kims in matrimony, but Lady Ahra married Choi and the Kim household, who by the way, are direct lords from the house in the parliaments, was not pleased." Hyukjae joined in their small talk. He was grinning at Sungmin as he patted the chambermaid on the shoulder. "Been days since I last saw you, Min."

"Hello, Hyuk..." He greeted the usher. Eunhyuk had his hair trimmed, but they fall off his forehead. He had changed, older and more mature than before. “It has been a while indeed.”

“Ah, I was usually with the maestro. He’s lingering in the mansion more these days. He mentioned he’ll be spending the holidays with the young master.”

“He does? I wonder if the maestro fancies the young master?” Sunny paused and giggled, obvious thoughts dancing in her eyes as the two servants’ eyes widened.

“Master Heechul would not.” Hyukjae stammered. “I don’t think so. Even if he does not care of a person’s ual orientation...” He shook his head. “No. Not at all.”

Sungmin finally understood Heechul’s words. He was biual. He could be with either man and woman. And somehow, the thought made the chambermaid think. If there were such people as the maestro, indeed, society is changing and maybe, Sungmin’s lies would not be as bad as they may seem.

"Why don’t you people stop bickering about the masters and head to your quarters?” Jongwoon’s voice followed from behind. He was scratching his head in utter annoyance. His suit has been unkempt and his dark hair a mess. Jongwoon had always been the unwilling victim of the young master and his antics. The first usher was not very fond of this attitude but really, what choice did he have? At least Kyuhyun treats him as a friend.

“Sungmin, what are you doing here? You should be attending to Lady Ahra. Sunny, pastries for the afternoon tea should be served soon. And Hyukjae, come with me to the receiving area, an unknown lord has come unannounced.”

Sunmi and Inyoung would have been with the Masters and Lady at the court. They would be there on call waiting until they return home. No one was left in the villa except the ushers and maids and Jongwoon is practically in charge. An unannounced visit is the worse they had.

“A visitor? But it’s a Thursday! No one comes on a Thursday!”

Jongwoon glared at the younger usher. “I know. That’s why it’s UNANNOUNCED, idiot. He came here saying he has an important business with the master. He said his daughter would follow later on. I have no idea who he is but of course he’s a lord so I must keep him well.”

Sungmin turned to the direction of the east halls as Sunny walked to the back porch, not wanting to get mixed up in the ushers' problems. Jongwoon and Hyukjae were talking as they headed to the front door. Sungmin turned to say good bye to them when the last bit of conversation caught his attention.

“Lee Sunyoung. He said he's called Lee Sunyoung.”

To be continued...

A/N: Hello! Sorry this took to long to come out. I'm really really busy at work so I can't fit this one in. I'm trying my best to write fast., I hope you all like this, still! ^_^ Love you all, awesome readers! And Happy Holidays! ^_^