CHAPTER SIXTEEN: Iron Bars

Beneath Dresses and Tresses

Chapter Sixteen: Iron Bars

 

Their clasped hands were the only assurance Sungmin could get amidst the uncertainty that has been running in his head. The mansion was not as big as the Cho’s but the walk down the staircase to the receiving area felt like an eternity. There was nothing but the sound of their shoes echoing the marbled floor. 

 

He wanted to tighten his hold. He wanted to feel the familiar warmth of Kyuhyun’s palm but he couldn't.

 

All he felt was disappointment and fear.

 

Kyuhyun asked him to run. He asked Sungmin to leave the country, alone. Sungmin could not understand why. After everything Kyuhyun had said, he would resort into something so fallible. They had their promises, their sweet nothings and just a snap, the young master was sending him away. What happened to the "I'll always be here" statement? He felt the aching burn inside his chest as he thought of it. 

 

Sungmin knew running away would never be the answer to this problem. And he had said no. For the first time, he said no to Kyuhyun and the young master had frowned.

 

It was a knock that finally snapped him back. His thoughts were like the sea, drowning him more and more but pulling him back to the shore somehow. He always went back. He looked at Kyuhyun as the young master’s other hand took the knob slowly and pushed the door open. There was no usher waiting for them, only two figures on the opposite sides of the room. Sungmin wondered if Inyoung had tagged along too, or if Master Younsaeng had come on his own. But he did not have time to ask or to think further.

 

When the two masters turned to them, Sungmin felt a different shiver on his spine and he knew it was shame. Despite expecting Younsaeng's reaction, Sungmin could not will himself to look at the master's eyes. Youngsaeng might not be his charge, but the man was civil to the servants, friendly even.  

 

The master of the Cho household stared at him, eyes wide in surprise as he scanned Sungmin’s form. He was getting used to it now, being judged. He darted his gaze to the old man and bit his lip, he was probably forcing himself to believe that this was once the chambermaid who waited his daughter. Said chambermaid is now wearing a pair of trousers and sporting shorter hair.

 

Younsaeng's composure was remarkable, even with the disbelief painted on his face; he turned to Sunyoung with poise. The words that followed were accusing but he never raised his voice. “I trusted you... it was just a simple deal and you still outsmarted me?”

 

“I can’t give Hyori.” Sunyoung defended, and it was how Sungmin heard it before. The bitterness was back and it gets even more painful every time. “She was my hope.”

 

“And Sungmin wasn’t? The kid is your daugh— your son too!”

 

Did Younsaeng just side with him? There was that sense of familiarity, the sense of home in Younsaeng’s words. Sungmin had enough of Sunyoung's reason of choosing Hyori but hearing someone defend him aside from Kyuhyun was a bit surprising. He noticed that Kyuhyun’s hand had finally tightened on his and the comfort was slowly returning.

 

It didn’t matter what Kyuhyun was thinking, at least he knew that the young master was there. Sungmin was never the type to ask for assurance. He had managed without the feeling of acceptance, of gratitude. He had played the part of a chambermaid; there was nothing to ask for. But when he met Kyuhyun, things changed. And Sungmin realised how much he had fallen, how much he had depended on the man.

 

He looked at him passively. Kyuhyun was still standing with poise. His other hand was on his stomach, patiently trying to hold himself back. Sungmin knew that Kyuhyun was trying his best not to intervene in the conversation. But he also knew it was just a matter of minutes. His face was stern, his brows furrowed as Younsaeng continued talking. Sungmin did want pity if that was what the comfort for.

 

“You should’ve just told me that your second child was a boy. I would have thought of another way.” The master had resigned on the couch and sighed. “I wouldn’t have taken him if I knew. We could’ve resorted into something else.”

 

It took all his will for him not to gasp. The lies ruined everything. Maybe, just maybe if Sunyoung had told the truth then Sungmin would’ve grown up properly, he wouldn’t have to hide in sculleries to read, or take thrown pieces of parchment and coal to write, he wouldn’t have to wake up at 5 in the morning and sleep at 11 at night. He wouldn't have to wear dresses and put his hair on buns. He would have learned how to bow instead of a curtsy. And if only Sunyoung had chosen truth over shame, he wouldn’t have to suffer like this.

 

But then a single thought passed through him.

 

If Sunyoung hadn't lied... would he have met Kyuhyun?

 

The thought shattered him. And despite the agony he was in, Sungmin couldn’t help but feel happy that he had met Kyuhyun. He was the only real thing that had happened in his life.

 

The quick squeeze made him look up once again. He was looking at him sadly. Kyuhyun was saying something through his eyes but he couldn't understand it.  

 

“Pardon me, my lords.” Kyuhyun finally interrupted, his hand finally left Sungmin’s as he walked closer to the two men. Sunyoung and Younsaeng turned to him. He fixed his suit, straightened his coat, and finally continued. “I know I’m in no position to interrupt your business but could you at least acknowledge the fact that the person you are discussing is inside the same room?”

 

Silence followed. Sungmin could feel eyes boring onto him once again. He exhaled audibly before walking towards them. He stopped when he was inches away from Kyuhyun. 

 

What should he say? Should he even speak?

 

"Kyuhyun, you shouldn't be here." Younsaeng finally said. "What are you even doing here? The ladies at the villa would be looking for you."

 

So Kyuhyun did just manage to sneak out. Sungmin wanted to be worried for him but he can't. He was frightened not only for Kyuhyun but for himself as well. He wanted to leave but he can't. And he won't. Sungmin is tired of hiding, of avoiding the truth. No matter how much it hurts, he'll do it. 

 

"I'm staying with Sungmin."

 

"What? No." Younsaeng announced. "You should be at home, with Lady Sooyoung."

 

Kyuhyun did not answer back. For a moment Sungmin thought that the young master would move towards the door and depart. But he did otherwise. Kyuhyun headed to the centre of the room and sat on one of the couches, relaxing his back before turning to Sungmin and motioning for him to follow. Kyuhyun was not leaving; he was going to hear the end of this.

 

Younsaeng gave a defeated a sigh before turning once again to his friend.

 

"I don't want Sungmin gaoled." He finally said.

 

Sungmin felt the knife stuck inside his chest being pulled out, not painless but with relief. He was still bleeding, he knew, but that was one. It wasn't as hopeless as he thought it was. "I'll force My Lady and Lady Sooyoung to rethink. I still have the final say in the house... and Ahra."

 

"Lady Ahra isn't in favour of it. She hated the fact that Sungmin lied to her but she understands that he had no choice." Kyuhyun added calmly, eyes meeting his father’s. “And why are you speaking as if Sooyoung has a say on this?”

 

The revelation about Ahra's thoughts saddened Sungmin. He expected her to hate him and he knew she would. But even with the betrayal, Ahra still sided with him and this pained him more than ever. He should end this. He needed to apologise and find a solution.

 

He did not allow anymore retorts and walked towards Younsaeng, ignoring his father’s cautious stares. He bowed low; if he could kneel, he would. But Sungmin knew that if he sunk any lower, he would cry and tears aren't needed, it would just show them how weak he was feeling.

 

It was unfair. Sungmin had been forced to act like a girl for a decade, he had been thought that girls are prim, they are submissive and weak. But living that role had taught him something better: being a girl is being strong. Living as a girl is living a life with your chin up despite all the prejudices men had imposed. Sungmin is a man but he respects girls not only because he played one but because he knew their strength. And Sungmin won’t show any weakness in front of Younsaeng not because he was proving himself to be a man, but because he had been a girl majority of his life.

 

"I'm sorry." He spoke, voice deep and steady. "Master Younsaeng, forgive me for lying to you and fooling you that I am a girl. Please understand that I never intend to and I was just following an order which I thought was correct. I'm willing to submit to any request you would demand."

 

Sungmin said it. He said the words he was dreading to say but he did. And it was another knot loosened inside his chest. He needed to pay for it. He wanted him and his family to pay for anything that is demanded because they have wronged them.

 

He did not expect that he could say everything in one go. He did not intend to but maybe it is for the best. At least Younsaeng and Kyuhyun knew that he is not running away. At least they were there to listen to his sincerity. If only Ahra was there too, it would have been well.

 

He knew that he need not prove himself innocent in front of the Cho's. And he knew that it would take long before the family could forgive him, but he wanted to make amends. Even if Sungmin was just a victim, it was still his responsibility.

 

"Sungmin, you can't own this. Younsaeng, you can't..." Sunyoung stuttered. He was stuttering and Sungmin was surprised at how his father was worried about his proposal. He started straightening up and looked at the older Lee. "Just take the payment, Younsaeng, it is the best that we could offer. Don't take Sungmin."

 

There was a soft knock on the door and all four of them turned. It was when Sungmin move his head did he notice that Kyuhyun was standing close to him now, his hand was extended on the head of the settee, probably reaching for him before the knock had came.

 

Inyoung allowed himself in and bowed.

 

"Masters, Lady Hana is here with Ladies Ahra and Sooyoung."

 

He heard a grunt from Kyuhyun. It would be a bigger problem if the ladies are here. They love to banter and judge and Sungmin did not want to face them. Not Hana, not Sooyoung and especially not Ahra. His heart was beating sof ast that he could feel his pulse on his ears. The talk was calm with Masters. With the Ladies in the picture, it would be a huge question.

 

 Younsaeng nodded and looked at Sunyoung. "Would it be fine if we have them in another room until this conversation is done?"

 

Kyuhyun looked at his father, not believing his words. Even Sungmin stared.

 

"Yes," Sunyoung nodded and turned to the Cho's head butler. “Please lead them to the study area. Our servants would provide them tea as they wait."

 

Inyoung bowed before leaving the room. There was a short silence as they watch the butler walk to the hallway. The door was closed once again when Younsaeng cleared his throat. They were waiting for his response, for his own decision that he had yet to discuss with his family.

 

"Sungmin, I wouldn’t require any more of your service but I have made a decision."

 

Kyuhyun moved to his father. He was worried. Sungmin knew that the young master was worried. He had asked Sungmin to leave, to just escape, and start anew. But he wanted Sungmin to do it alone, without him and Sungmin never wanted that. He wanted to leave, but not until every thing's fixed.

 

The young master urged his father to continue. Sunyoung just watched them, unsure of what to say. There has to be more. Dismissing him of services is somewhat a given gesture, taken that he was no girl. Master Cho moved a little, he turned his gaze to his son, then to his old friend. Sungmin’s stare had been avoided, and it remained the same. Younsaeng did not look at him and the disappointment radiated. Giving a loud sigh, the Master continued. 

 

"I want Sunyoung to pay his full debt from years ago” The money was no question. His family had accepted the fact the damages had to be paid. With Hyori’s wealth and her husband’s reputation, a couple of thousands would be cheap. If it would be the only condition then miracles are real.

 

The silence inside the room was deafening. No one spoke, no one moved. It was like they were all hanging on a piece of thread with sharp rocks at the bottom of the steep cliff. They were just waiting for the fall. And it was painful and frightening at the same time. Maybe Sungmin’s was the hardest. His fall would bleed out the most.

 

He swallowed, hearing the sound of a lump piercing his throat.

 

Kyuhyun opened his mouth to speak but Younsaeng stopped him with a stare. He turned to Sungmin finally when his son retreated. He looked at him with intensity enough to inflict fear and pain. “And... Sungmin..." This was it – the fall. "You're not to see Kyuhyun anymore."

 

Sungmin knew it was coming. At some point, he knew that his relationship with Kyuhyun would be impeded by almost everyone. No one would like whatever they have. It would be a disgrace, it was immoral. He knew and yet, he refused to believe. Because Sungmin had somehow forged a thought inside him that things might be able to work out, that certain truths may be able to give way, to give them choice.

 

But he, as always had been, was wrong.

 

“Kyuhyun is to be married, and we do not want any scandal floating around.” Younsaeng spoke calmly. There was sadness and disappointment in his tone. Oh, how much the master must have shattered when he learned of Kyuhyun and Sungmin. The frustration would have been evident for his only son had chosen not only a liar, but another man to love. Such disgrace.

 

Sungmin flinched at his own horrible thought. “I'm not marrying her! I told you I won’t.” The anger was there, but the fear could be heard. Kyuhyun have the assurance no more. With everything that was occurring, his parents would have him on leash.

 

Kyuhyun turned to his father and then to Sunyoung. He towered both men but he was still smaller, in status and authority. “If you require nothing of Sungmin, then he could leave, correct? He could leave for another country... but that doesn’t mean you could force me to marry as soon as possible!”

 

“Sooyoung knows about you. The image would be tarnished if she speaks more of this. Kyuhyun, I’m putting your welfare and Sungmin’s here.” Younsaeng was reaching for his son but the young Cho did not falter. There was neither sentiment nor remorse in his gaze. It was blunt. “I am thinking on what could be better.”

 

“Excuse me, Younsaeng, Kyuhyun.” Sunyoung finally spoke. His silence had been totally ignored; his authority was not even acknowledged for the Cho’s could expect nothing from a liar, a user. Sungmin almost spat the words out loud. He wanted to hurt Sunyoung so bad. But he couldn’t. “The marriage is not any of our concern. Sungmin would stop seeing Kyuhyun; it’s as simple as that.”

 

Younsaeng nodded in agreement. "Forgive us for this harsh quarrel; we’ll talk about this later. For now, my demands have been stated but...”

 

Younsaeng was stopped when the door burst open; Inyoung frantically entered the room with another butler from the Lee’s. Sungmin knew there was something going on. It was not in Inyoung’s nature to barge in, more so in such a crucial time. His eyebrows connected in worry as he looked at the butlers.

 

“The ladies are having a commotion in the study room, my lords.”

 

*

 

Sungmin felt the world stop when the room to the library was opened. It was like the ocean has parted when he showed himself to the newcomers. The air cried of hostility and shame and all he wanted was for the ground to open up and swallow the whole of him. He did not feel weak, but he was ashamed because for the first time, he was being stared at with utter disgust.

 

Unlike how Younsaeng looked at him, Hana and Sooyoung looked most scandalised and Ahra almost had the same look. It pained him how his former Lady was staring at him in shock; it was as if Ahra was woken up in a beautiful sleep only to find out that all the opposite was happening in reality. She was supporting her stomach with her right hand. Sungmin wanted to tell her she needed rest. He wanted to her to her room and tuck her to sleep. But he can’t. Not anymore.

 

The four women were obviously exchanging banters with one another. They were all in that proud stance that Sungmin was familiar with. Hyori was alone in her feat, yet, he couldn’t afford to pity her.

 

"Look at him!" Sooyoung accused. "Look at how disgraceful he is. My lady, you should have him gaoled, it is fraud."

 

Hana had her hands on , she was shaking her head slowly, eyeing Sungmin from head to toe, still disbelieving that he was the same chambermaid that had served them. She refused to talk as she headed towards Younsaeng, reaching for her husband to confirm that what she was seeing was real.

 

Sungmin felt like an apparition that materialised, surprising everyone, leaving them speechless. It was an overstatement, but he could feel it.

 

It wasn’t until Kyuhyun’s voice echoed inside the room that he felt himself awaken from his clouded thoughts. Even with the commotion, Sungmin paid no heed. He just knew that Kyuhyun said something to Sooyoung that infuriated Younsaeng. Hyori had answered back to Hana and Sunyoung had scolded her. Sungmin could hear the mumbles, he could feel the tension, but his body was not moving or his mind. He was just standing there, staring at Ahra who was staring back at him, terrified.

 

Sungmin did not expect that the shame would triple when he was face to face to Ahra. He feared Kyuhyun and Younsaeng's reactions but he never had expected Ahra's. Now he could only wonder how his scullery friends would react.

 

He wanted to move closer to her, to tell her that he was sorry, but he can't. His legs won't move and his mouth won't speak a single word. He was drowning in the shame and regret he felt towards her. The pool of lies was slowly pulling him deeper and deeper. It was getting harder to breathe. It was Ahra whom he owed so much; it was her whom he had lied to the most. Sungmin had cared for her; she was his real friend, his sister, his family in the villa. Ahra was the real victim of the lies, not him, not Kyuhyun.

 

"Sungmin..." The voice woke him up. Finally, he snapped back. And it wasn't Kyuhyun's. 

 

Ahra was facing him now, her eyes watery as she reached out for him. Sungmin felt her hand on his hair; he felt her fingers on his shoulder. She was studying him. "Sungmin is this really you?" It was a question he did not expect, Ahra was like seeing someone else, and refusing to believe it was her chambermaid in front of her. 

 

He felt his mouth frown as his eyes stung of unshed tears. He nodded slowly. Ahra's reaction was something that surprised everyone in the room. The commotions stopped, the banters were put into a halt.

 

Ahra pulled him to an embrace. She grabbed Sungmin and wrapped her arms around his shoulders, her face immediately on the curve of his neck. Sungmin felt her tears staining his skin. 

 

"Forgive me." Ahra said, and that was when he realised that everyone in the room was staring at them. "I'm sorry, Sungmin. I'm so sorry you have to go through everything. It must've been hard for you."

 

Ahra's arms were extended, her belly was swollen against Sungmin's and he could only afford to touch her head. He did not expect that she would ask for forgiveness. Why? Why was Ahra so kind and endearing that she has to be the one to do this? 

 

"I'm sorry, Lady Ahra.." he whispered onto her, his mind void of any more thoughts, of any more possible explanation he could give to her. "I never meant to lie to you."

 

Ahra pulled back slowly, wiping her tears with her palms. It would have been unladylike but Hana has other concerns than to worry about that her daughter's manners. Ahra shook her head, she was smiling and it was not meant to hide her tears ."It was never your fault. I told Kyuhyun that it was never your fault and you should never think that way."

 

Sungmin nodded, grateful and relieved that his lady still believed in him. The contentment swelled inside his chest, knowing that the two most important persons in the Cho household understood him. They were surprised and overwhelmed by the truth, but they did not allow shame or anger overcome them. Ahra and Kyuhyun accepted him. They allowed rationality lead them and not the norm. 

 

Above everyone else, they were different.

 

Sungmin was never given the chance to answer, when a knock echoed once again in the room. The sound of tapping wood was starting to become a disorienting noise for him. There had been too many interruptions that Sungmin almost presumed that closures are too far to be real. That there should always be interruptions so that payments could be made. It was a fair deal. It would be a fair deal.

 

 

*

 

The words were muffled, well, they were more like muddled up. He could not understand a thing; everyone in the room was speaking except for him. And nothing was registering as the uniformed men were lead inside and cold metals were wrapped around his wrist. How long had he remained like that? How long was he unresponsive towards everything? The last he could remember was Ahra, and now, there was nothing.

 

It was chaotic. The officers were reciting his right to silence, something he never imagine would be recited towards him. He shook his head, eyes widening as he tried to beg for help. His will was naught; he did not even defended himself. But he asked, he begged to be saved.

 

It was when the chill of the outside air hit him did Sungmin realise that one of the officers was pulled away from him. The metal cuffs were painful and cold and he had nothing around his shoulders but his indoor shirt. It was freezing, his skin was numb as the winter breeze slapped against him.

 

“You’re not taking him away. There was no complaint!” Kyuhyun defended. He was fuming, hands wrapped onto the collar of the other man in uniform. Sungmin turned, staring at the young master who too, was not properly clothed. His cheeks were red in anger. The seconds that had passed was blurred, everyone was standing at the doorstep and no one dared to stop Kyuhyun.

 

He was throwing a fit. He was shouting and forcing the officers to leave Sungmin alone. Ahra tried to stop him but to no avail. Sungmin did not want this. He never wanted such commotion. 

 

Kyuhyun would be detained if he wouldn't stop assaulting the officer. He was out of reason, Sungmin never saw his eyes like that, his poise was long gone. The emotion, every bit of sparkle was replaced a menacing glare that bore holes at everything on sight. Kyuhyun’s eyes were fuming.

 

He cares for him. Kyuhyun would want nothing but Sungmin’s safety and he had promised him that things would get better. A threat to Sungmin pushed Kyuhyun to the edge. It was all about Sungmin.

 

“I did it.”

 

Sooyoung marched out of the door, confidence glowing with every step. Her shawl-covered shoulders were straightened as she eyed Kyuhyun and Sungmin. A playful smile marked her face.

 

“Sungmin was assigned to be my chambermaid when Lady Ahra was gone.” She said. “I accuse her... him of lascivious acts towards me.”

 

That was the final ball. Sooyoung had definitely crossed the line. And Heechul was right, the young lady would do whatever she could to get what she wants. She must've been devastated when she found about Kyuhyun and Sungmin, the more when she learned that Sungmin was a boy. Sooyoung knew that the Cho’s would not result to something as scandalous as imprisonment; she must've figured everything out and acted on her own accord. She had the advantage.

 

When the officers regained their stance, Kyuhyun finally let go. There were small gasps and curses and Sungmin could see Ahra’s frightened expression. 

 

Kyuhyun and Ahra. They were all who matter, in all honesty.

 

Kyuhyun moved away. His face was suddenly unreadable as he walked towards Sooyoung. Sungmin watched quietly, helplessly. The world seemed to have stopped as what happened next caught them all off guard.

 

Kyuhyun raised his hand, his palm meeting Sooyoung’s cheek with a loud slap. There were gasps from the lords and ladies and even the servants were too shocked to move. Sungmin felt his cuffed hand move towards his lips. 

 

The young master hit Lady Sooyoung. There was no remorse, not pity in his eyes as he waited for the lady to compose herself. Nursing her burning cheek, Sooyoung turned to Kyuhyun, eyes welled up. It must have been the hurt but Sungmin could perfectly see the embarrassment reflecting in her tear-stained orbs. 

 

“You are sinking that low, my lady? Have a little respect for yourself.” He muttered and finally turned to the police men then to Sungmin. “You’re not taking him alone. I'm coming”

 

*

 

“You did not have to come with me.” Sungmin whispered. Kyuhyun’s hand was on his. Despite being cuffed on the wiating benhch Kyuhyun stayed beside him., he never left. There was no use hiding, and there was no use denying. If Kyuhyun could, he would shout to everyone that he's with Sungmin.

 

It made him feel at ease. It gave him confidence, in all honesty.

 

Sungmin stared at the bars at the other end of the station. He had never imagined himself to be locked up behind them. He haven't actually seen them up close. Just now, and it's him who's going to be inside. He swallowed as he stared at them. They were iron and they were cold. He did not want that, and he would never agree to that.

 

Kyuhyun had remained silent throughout the ride. He left for two minutes and talked to an officer but there was no smile from him even. He never spoke even when they were both ushered to the waiting benches. The sound of scribbles and typewriters echoed around the place. Sungmin ignored them all.

 

“Lady Ahra should be sent home.” He spoke, his lost seemed to be  the only escape for he knew that soon he’ll be locked up with no one to talk to but himself. "She needs to rest."

 

There was no response. No other movement. And Sungmin wished that Kyuhyun would at least look at him, that he would at least give him a shimmer of hope from his brown eyes. The last he could remember was Kyuhyun's fuming gaze directed to Sooyoung. 

 

"I haven't finished it...." he continued. "The Odyssey. I'm getting faster in reading, and I could understand deeper terms now. But I left it in my room. I want to continue reading it."

 

"And I also want to see Lady Ahra's child when she gives birth. I hope it's a boy. I bet Siwon is excited. Have you held a baby before?"

 

It was when he felt movement beside him. Kyuhyun was smiling sadly, the sides of his eyes were creased, they were twinkling but there was regret and Sungmin was too tired of regret. He wanted to look at Kyuhyun’s smile. He wanted to see the hope that he would usually see. He wanted Kyuhyun to tell him stories, to appease his mind as he usually would.

 

“I love you.” Kyuhyun said out of nowhere. “You know that, don’t you?”

 

He never got to answer as Kyuhyun moved his head towards him, gluing their lips together. Kyuhyun’s lips were cold and shaking, Sungmin wondered if it was out of fear or another thing. He hated the fact they were both feeling so helpless. But he resufed to. Sungmin wanted to be brave. He wanted to show Kyuhyun that he can do it.

 

Raising his cuffed hands he grabbed Kyuhyun’s cheek gently, pulling him closer and feeling his lips onto his getting deeper. They both shifted, Kyuhyun’s hands were on his waist and they both did not care that there were other people, they did not care that people were watching.

 

Sungmin was surrendering his weight to Kyuhyun when the young master pulled away, slowly… but very gently. He smiled at him, it was his smile and it was all Sungmin needed.

 

He felt a pat on his knee as Kyuhyun stood up. It was then Sungmin realised that the police men inside the station were staring at them. It was surprising that Sungmin did not care anymore. He reached out for Kyuhyun's hand.

 

But Kyuhyun had left.

 

*

 

The sound of iron bars bled through his ears. He did not want to be locked up in them. How long was he seated in here? An hour maybe? Could be a couple of minutes.

 

He frowned as he watched the officers walk towards him. Sunyoung and Hyori were finally present. He had wondered if his family had left him in prison to rot. Much to his surprise, Kyuhyun was still there. He forced a smile but a scowl came. Sungmin hated in here. It was not his fault, why was he the one being locked up?

 

When the door bars were unlocked, he turned to all of them.

 

"Master Sungmin, you're free to go." The officer said. It was the same man Kyuhyun had shouted at. It was him and he wasn't pleased that Sungmin was being sent out. It was funny how his first instinct was to go to Kyuhyun's side. He avoided his father's gaze and he did not want Hyori's touch.

 

Sungmin had grown hostile towards them and he was not sad about it.

 

They walked out of the offices. It must've late. There were few people outside which was probably for the better. Sungmin did not want causerie, especially not now that he is deemed a lord. Biting his lips, he allowed Kyuhyun to lead him.

 

"We accepted the bail and the payment." Kyuhyun finally spoke. "I have talked to Sooyoung, it’s fine. There's no more filed case against Sungmin." 

 

He turned to Kyuhyun. What were Sooyoung's terms? Sungmin did not want to know but at the same time, he wanted to.

 

"Yes, Kyuhyun and we are grateful to that." Sunyoung answered. "Please extend my gratitude to your sister and father."

 

The young master nodded and turned to Sungmin. He pulled him closer and kissed his crown.

 

"I'll be seeing you tomorrow, love." He spoke quietly. Sunyoung and Hyori looked at them a bit scandalised with the scene. "Take a rest, you need it."

 

Sungmin did not want to let go. If he was going to get home, he wanted to be with Kyuhyun. He needed him beside him. He wanted him there. It would have been the only thing.

 

But Kyuhyun let go with a sad smile. "Kyu..."

 

He smiled at him. "I'll see you at morn."

 

And then he turned away.

 

To be continued...

 

A/N: So, who still remembers this? :D