CHAPTER FOUR: Melodies and Responsibilities

Beneath Dresses and Tresses

CHAPTER FOUR: Melodies and Responsibilities


Sungmin was using the wrong cloth to wipe the stair railings. He was staring mindlessly over nothing as he worked on his tasks that day albeit fully aware of his wandering thoughts.


He had been too preoccupied and his mind was filled with those of the conversation he had with the young master the day before. He was left bedazzled in the old garden, frozen to the cold ground as he watched the back retreating to the gates of the backyard. He didn't know how he would react and until today, he still couldn't fathom.


"Sungmin, I would have to detain you for the whole day if you wouldn't fix that." Sunmi reprimanded him as she pointed at the linen on his hands. He bit his lip.


"Forgive me, Sunmi ssi." He bowed. "I'll wash this and continue with the task. He picked up his small basin and walked out of the main hall of the house. He could feel the head housemaid’s stare linger on him as he walked away. What was happening anyway?


He turned to a corner to the scullery and sighed. He had been holding a good load of breath while in the main house. He couldn't even figure why. Perhaps he was frightened that he might come across the young master any time soon. He was not prepared, not after the confession the man made. He didn’t even want to think of it that way but Kyuhyun was making him feel so.


He wanted to be friends? How absurd could that be? And here Sungmin was, silently giving in to the request. But he couldn’t.


"Hi, Sungmin." Donghae's bouncy voice came. He smiled as he turned to the young footman. He was holding a tray and a white towel. It seemed breakfast had just adjourned.





"Hi, Donghae. Good morning." he greeted, putting up a wide smile for the other. Donghae may not be his closest friend but the footman would always notice if there was something not right with Sungmin. He had been his most loyal suitor anyway. "Breakfast done?"


The footman nodded and smiled. He walked with him through the wooden corridors that connected the main house to the scullery and back rooms.


"Are you well, Sungmin?" Donghae asked and indeed, he knew when Sungmin was not fine.


"I am a little tired I guess." He reasoned, his voice lower than usual. Sungmin couldn't figure how well he was keeping his secret. All he knew was that he could make everyone believe that he's a girl but he couldn't make them believe that he was doing good when he's not.


Masks vary on every circumstance.


"Didn't get enough rest from yesterday?"


Yesterday. The word lingered and the events flashed inside his head once again. Kyuhyun's words were stuck in his head and he didn't know if the young master was simply making fun of him or was quite serious with his words. But Sunginn is and will forever be a chambermaid. No one takes him seriously except for his ladyship, who's currently missing from the household.


He nodded lightly and smiled. "But I'm okay. I'm used to this."


Donghae beamed at him. "That's good. I was thinking why you seemed so lost earlier. I guess if it should be me or Hyukjae who should be phased out."


"Huh? Why did you say that?" He inquired. Donghae and he finally reached the back room. They placed the cloths on the laundry bin and headed to the dip. Draining his basin, Sungmin used the soiled water to wash out the dirt on the place. Donghae waited until it was his turn to clean his tray.


The chambermaid scooped water from the bin and aided the footman. He smiled at him.


"Thanks." Donghae muttered. "And yes, Jongwoon had been ordering us around. He is tensed. Maybe the young master is not in his usual mood."


There it was again. The mention of Kyuhyun, of the young master, and Sungmin's thoughts ran wild. He swallowed hard as he listened to the footman.


It seemed that the young master woke up irate that morning and had been whining like a kid. He asked for waffles and changed his mind ten minutes later and demanded for orange pancakes. The next thing they knew, he was talking about strawberries and peaches. He bathed later than expected and complained of attending class. It seemed he would be skipping court meetings as well, and had no plans of going to the telegraph shop.


Donghae sighed one last time as he finished his story. "I don't know what to do anymore. That kid is such a whiner."


Sungmin smiled softly, shaking his head in the process. “Is he always like that? The young master?"



He was curious, he was very curious about him. If only he was a footman, he would know more of the man. But he wasn't and he wasn't allowed near him anytime.


"I don't know much about him." Donghae answered. "He left for overseas a few months after I got transferred to the main house and that was almost six years ago."


"But Master Kyuhyun is really kind and considerate to us. He is kind to his ushers and servants, people lower in status. He always treats them as friends."


Kyuhyun was playful. He acts like a child but when situations call for it, he is more than mature. He is intelligent but he is also fun to be with. In all honesty, Donghae would want to stay in Kyuhyun's chambers with Jongwoon rather than working on the main hall. Kyuhyun made sure they're not getting tired.


"So it really surprised me that he's acting like a spoiled brat earlier today." Donghae shrugged. "Well, his stares frightened me as well. I don't think he's too fond of me lately."


"He must be pressured." Sungmin said absentmindedly. "After Young Lady Ahra left, all responsibilities befall him."


"True." Donghae agreed, pinning the cloths on the line and finally leading the chambermaid to the resting quarters behind the bells’ bulkhead. They sat on the chairs and sighed their weary bodies. Not yet lunch and they were exhausted, it was life for them.


Moments later, the footman turned and smiled at him. "Hey, Sungmin, do you want to go out tomorrow afternoon?"


"Huh?"


"To the plaza, I know a place. C'mon."


"But, we're not on rest tomorrow. I just had my rest day yesterday." he reasoned out.


"The masters and lady would be out from lunch to supper." Donghae beamed. "They were invited by the Chois to their daughter's birthday celebration."


"Oh, yes." Sungmin remembered the conversation he heard days ago. The Chois invited their masters to the soiree to introduce their daughter to the young master. Sungmin frowned as he thought about it.


"Donghae, can you fetch the newspaper today?" Inyoung interrupted their talks. "And tell Hyukjae to aid Jongwoon with the young master's suit."


The footman straightened in alarm and nodded, he fixed his coat and turned to Sungmin. "See you tomorrow, Min."


It seemed Sungmin really didn't have a choice.


*


Donghae was on his plain clothes the next day. He was smiling brightly under the early afternoon sun as Sungmin approached him. The young maid deemed in necessary to wear loose skirt and blouse shaded with lavender. He wrapped a shawl made of wool around his shoulders to keep him warm. The chill was too evident and soon enough, mere thick clothes and wool wouldn't suffice.


Fireplaces. Sungmin hated fireplaces as they stain almost everything inside the mansion. The cleaning becomes more tedious and their work time increases. Erasing the thoughts of work, he trotted to the back gate towards the usher.


Donghae smiled at him as they walked out of the villa. He asked if they could take a bicycle but Donghae deemed it inappropriate for a girl to ride one. Sungmin pouted – a girl.


"You are really adorable." The other commented. "You act odd for a girl but you're such one. You confuse me sometimes."


Sungmin felt his face heat up. Donghae loves to fluster him. His comments as such always leave him shy and embarrassed. And the chambermaid knew where the conversation was heading. He took the other's arms and squeezed it lightly. When Donghae turned to him he just smiled.


The restaurant was nice. It was not a pub or anything similar. It offers a good and warm atmosphere. The food was great and Sungmin was thankful to the young footman although a little afraid that Donghae's saving was left in peril as he ordered too good of the food.


"The meat was perfect and the potatoes as well." He commented half their meal. "I can't believe there's someone else who cooks better than Sunny or Yuri." He smiled shyly as Donghae chuckled.


"You need to go out and have a taste of other food. You never leave the villa." Donghae answered. "I'll take you to another place next time."


Sungmin shook his head. He politely declined the offer. He knew he shouldn’t' be taking advantage of Donghae's kindness and that he shouldn't be giving him false hopes. He never wanted to be with anyone, not with the pretence he was in. He knew he couldn’t run away from his fate, he knew that the consequences would be dire but all has been done and what he could do was to avoid anymore problem.


"This would be easier if you would gladly accept my offer." Donghae spoke and Sungmin felt guilty. "Sungmin. Why won't you give it a chance?"


"We're both of age. We're of same level, there's nothing wrong if we go out. It won't even affect our work."


The chambermaid smiled softly. It wasn't that simple. Aside from being a boy, he was not in love with the man. He knew relationships are deeper, he knew they are to be treasured. You don’t go throwing it out when you get tired of it. Sungmin wanted it to be special. He was asking so much but all he could do was wish anyway.


“I’m really sorry, Hae.” He reached for the man’s hand but the other was quick to pull away. He flinched.


“I don’t get it.” The usher spoke. “I just… why, Min? Is there something wrong me? Am I displeasing?”


Sungmin shook his head. “It’s not about you. There are just some things that I’m not ready to do… and one of them is to give my heart completely. I want us to be friends; a more intimate relationship could just ruin our friendship.”


Donghae eyed his food in resignation. Sungmin knew he had hurt the man once again. He was nothing but joy and kindness.


“All right.” Donghae spoke just before Sungmin could take a bite of his bread. He eyed the other, a little shocked. “But it doesn’t mean I’ll give up. I’ll wait till you say yes to me.”


“Hae, please.”


“That’s final. Now let’s finish our meal.”


*



The rest of the afternoon was spent in small giggles. Donghae, bless him, decided to talk about pets and food and other things aside from what they are. He joked around, played around and made Sungmin laugh. He bought him a stem of rose and took a glass of lemonade at the park.


Sungmin was grateful and was entirely sad when he realized they were walking back to the villa a little near sunset. He didn’t want it to end just yet. Donghae was right. He had been spending too much time confining himself from others; maybe a little change would not hurt.


He waved at the man as they entered the back gate. The young footman must prepare for the arrival of their masters that evening and they would surely be ehausted. Sungmin smiled and curtsied.


It was a good day.


*

“I can’t believe it!” Jongwoon whined at breakfast the two days after at the servants’ dining room. All eyes were on him and even Inyoung and Sunmi raised their eyebrows in inquiry.



He scrunched his forehead as he eyed everyone on the table. He paused for a moment and sighed.


“The young master asked me, and only me, to be his usher.” He spoke. “He denied Hyukjae or Donghae moving forward and he even discussed it with his lordship.”


“You won’t be on other duties except for Master Kyuhyun?” Yuri inquired and Jongwoon nodded.


“But I thought he’s transferring overseas again? He didn’t like education in the country.”


Jongwoon let out another sigh of resignation. “Master Kyuhyun excelled in all his classes here. He deemed education in the country is far too old-fashioned than what he had in the West. But his parents won’t allow him to leave, not with the young lady missing still. He’s getting his degree this spring.”


“I heard he’s studying music now.” Another commented. News in the villa spread fast. One trait of servants is inquisition. They ask a lot, and they listen very carefully. They almost know every minor detail in the mansion, even secrets – except for Sungmin’s though.


Sungmin listened to them. It seemed that the young master would be taking up composition classes from home. A musician would teach him basics of the piano and harp.


“Men aren’t taught much music in the West. They excel in the more technical stuff. The Master and Mistress deemed it necessary for Kyuhyun to learn the art. Ahra was already a genius with the craft.”


“So, I’ll be working double since he didn’t want other servants serving him.” Jongwoon finished. “It seemed he doesn’t fancy you two.” He eyed his two juniors and glared slightly.


“It’s not about fancying, it’s about working hard.” Inyoung spoke, his huge voice alarming everyone in the room. “He probably noticed something wrong in your job and he didn’t like it. The young master isn’t at all picky.”


“He’s been moody. Her ladyship had been whining about him lately.” Sunmi added. “Either way, we must submit. Let’s finish breakfast and there are still works to be done.”


Everyone nodded and continued with the morning meal. Sungmin eyed the two footmen, pitying them a little as the denial won’t be good for their record. He wondered what was running in the young master’s mind as he did that. Donghae seemed to idolize the man until the previous day.



*


Sungmin bee-lined to the receiving area after his morning meal. He brought his cleaning materials and knelt near the fireplace.


It would be put into use very soon and he could just imagine the black it would spread on the place. He grunted.


He started with the top most, polishing the brass that shone in the bright lights that passed through the white drapes. He ran his hand around the curves and smiled.


Siwon was there when he last cleaned the place and Lady Ahra when missing after that. He couldn’t believe how fast things were going for the family and for them as well. It was difficult, but they need to manage. The villa is too big for four, now, it’s even larger for three. The place was becoming lonelier.


“I would inform the young master immediately.” Hyukjae’s voice echoed and when Sungmin turned around he saw a very handsome man, clad in a crisp dark blue suit. His jet-black hair was parted at the side of his head neatly. His eyes were sharp and keen, his lips curved to a smirk and he walked tall in the receiving room. Sungmin was star struck as the man was ushered to one of the couches.


No, he was wrong. The man was not handsome, he was more than beautiful.


Hyukjae snapped his fingers before heading to the young master’s quarters, an act to remind Sungmin that he should leave the room. He was still in awe when he picked up his things and curtsied to the visitor. He knew he took longer than necessary. The man's presence was too intimidating. He bowed low as he walked back to the door.


“You.” The voice was quick and all the chambermaid could do was to turn around. The dark eyes caught him and he felt like fainting.


When the young master’s gaze was warm and inviting, this pair of orbs is sceptic and sharp. It brought out a tingle of fear at his back as he forced himself to look down.


“Nothing.” The visitor spoke again, waving his hand to shoo him off the room. Sungmin couldn't be more thankful.


He passed the main halls in haste a little shocked of what had occurred. He was to turn to the back door when he heard footsteps from the staircase. Unfortunately, Sungmin’s head turned unconsciously and this time, he was caught in a pair of brown orbs he was familiar with.


He swallowed air and it was painful. Sungmin couldn’t do anything but stare back only to be woken up by the young master’s voice.


“Good day to you, Sungmin.” He greeted with a warm smile before turning to the receiving area. Sungmin was left standing alone near the staircase with Jongwoon eyeing him a little and Hyukjae smirking at him.


*


The gorgeous man, as it turned out was called Kim Heechul, a master in the art of piano and strings. He was the young maestro that would supervise the young master in the craft and Sungmin saw him fit for the job.


The man himself was a work of art.


Sungmin was assigned to be in the music room two afternoons later. Jongwoon was with him as they attended to the food and beverage of the two masters inside.


They stood side by side as Kim Heechul played a piece. Sunny had brought pastries and was standing a few feet away from them. The music room shone brightly in the late morning sky.


“Sonata Fourteen,” he spoke proudly, turning to the younger who was eyeing the keys of the grand piano. The instrument gleamed as the tapestries were drawn, it was ivory white. “I composed it.” The chambermaid smiled, wanting to know how the keys would feel under his own fingers. When can he learn to play such wonderful music? When would fate be kind to him?


Kyuhyun took the place in front of the piano. His face a little stern as Hecchul paved way for him. He smiled at the young master and ushered him to continue. Jongwoon stood in place, unmoving. Sungmin was standing too close to Yuri, worried that he might faint anytime soon. As for the reason of his nausea, he couldn't figure. He just felt... sick, nervously sick.


The young master dipped his index finger onto a key and it let out a bland tone. Sungmin bit his lip.


His smallest finger moved and pressed another key, and then his middle finger and thumb and ring finger joined it. He was producing music all of a sudden. It was beautiful and nice, like those from choirs singing at Hanukkah season. It suits the voices of angels and...


"Stop." Heechul interrupted and took the young master's hand. "You're aware of the keys, but not the tune and melody. You're playing the music wrong."


"My sister made this." Kyuhyun answered back. "She composed this so how can you be sure I'm paying it wrongly?" His voice was powerful and stern. Sungmin never heard him speak that way. He flinched a little.


The other smiled at him and tapped his ear before sitting beside the young master. He positioned his right hand and started pressing on some keys. Sungmin's eyes widened.


It was exactly the same composition, same piece but there was something different in it. It was more... melodious, more heartfelt. It was no less beautiful and it fact, it was way better. Sungmin didn't know notes but he knows music. He figured the difference in them.


"You're not feeling the song. The melody is the key to every musical piece and the feelings captured in them. If you're gonna play for the sake of playing, it's like marrying a person without loving her."


The young master remained silent, staring at his fingers that were resting on the keyboard. Sungmin knitted his brows as he studied the sadness of his expression.


“It is obvious that this piece was composed with love. Your sister must’ve been in love when she made this.” The teacher continued. “And it seemed you’re not aware of such emotion, young master.”

Silence followed suit and soon, Sungmin could feel his corset restricting his breathing. It was like it was getting tighter and tighter. Kyuhyun was not pleased; it was obvious he was not aware of it though.


He stood up, straightening his tailored suit and turned to the young composer. “I’m tired. Let’s call it a day and you be back next week.”


Heechul smirked at the young master before turning to the servants. Jongwoon followed Kyuhyun who was immediately outside the room. Sungmin was left glued with the other maids.


"Well, he is moody." Heechul spoke. "But not as moody as me." He picked up his attaché before heading for the door. "See you next week, pretty ladies." He commented but stopped before looking at Sungmin meaningfully. He smirked at the chambermaid once more before finally leaving. Sungmin pouted.


*


Sungmin didn't want to wander around the villa alone at night. Not anymore that he knew that the young master is to appear somewhere, sometime. He did not anymore find the darkness safe as his path had crossed with Kyuhyun plenty of times already; it increased the paranoia in him.


Another thing was that, he didn't want the foreign feelings inside him to bloom. He was not stupid. The ladies on the novels he read were experiencing the same thing. And Sungmin knew better. He had to stop this fluttering of his stomach whenever he would be with the young master. He should avoid any form of admiration.


Sunmi was right, he should stop make the other stop. He was never allowed to mingle with the master and being his friend would just make things worse.


He liked Kyuhyun more than he should. He knew; he was not stupid.


He turned off all the lamps and extinguished all candelabras in the house. He smiled as he finished his task and would retire. He passed the main hall and stopped when he heard music coming from the receiving area. Despite being soft, the music was mad. It was in hurry and agitated. It was frightening.


He knew there was a grand piano in the place, but it hasn't been used for a while already. He thought it over, having a hunch of who was indeed the room. He shook his head and took a step away from the room. It must be Kyuhyun.


The music stopped as soon as he was to turn to the junction. Sungmin stopped and turned around, Kyuhyun was staring at him in the dark.


"How is it..." The voice was slurry Sungmin stared at the young man. His hair was sticking out of his head in all directions. HIs eyes were heavy. His shirt was ed and loose.


He was drunk.


He stepped backward.


"How is it... that I always see you?" he asked, walking towards the chambermaid in an unsteady pace. "And yet... you avoid me."


"Young master, it's late. You need to retire to your chambers." He spoke lowly but didn't move any closer. A drunken man is always unpredictable; Sungmin would want to keep a safe distance.


He stared at the droopy eyes before him. Even in their hazy state, they were still admirable. He looked up at the young man, his heart beating fast as Kyuhyun smirked at him. Sungmin wanted to run away and hide in his room but he couldn't, not now that he was glued on his spot with Kyuhyun magnetizing his gaze.


"You're... so pretty."



Moments later, Kyuhyun’s fingers were brushing his cheek. The young master was staring at him admiringly like he was some princess of court. He averted his gaze.


"How can you be so pretty?" He asked this time, voice slurred. "What are you doing to me?"


He can't understand what was happening, his vision started to become hazy as Kyuhyun inched closer than ever, locking him up with his hands, their faces mere inches apart.


"Master...Kyuhyun." He murmured, almost begged the young man. He bit his lip as the other gave out a proud smirk despite his state


"Sungmin..." the name echoed and rolled, and Sungmin smelled citrus from the older. He wanted to faint, he needed to faint. He was holding his breath as the taller man leaned closer to him.


Then, just like that, Kyuhyun let out a question that Sungmin was caught off guard.


"May I kiss you?"


He swallowed hard, too painful that he winced. The young master's hands were travelling closer to his shoulders, and soon enough, he was holding him.


He didn't move, he did not answer. He remained glued and stuck to where he was. He wanted to scream, to run away, but his own feet had been swollen into nothing but useless jelly. Kyuhyun's face was mere inches apart from his. Sungmin couldn't function properly; he had turned into an idiot as his head screams of knavery.


"If I kiss you now... would you scream?" Kyuhyun asked him as he shifted his weight a little. "Would you run?" He was holding a toothy smile and he smelled whiskey, an expensive brand that Sungmin couldn’t figure.


As much as he wanted to, Sungmin felt helpless. He knew he had an advantage but his body refused to use it. The utter weakness would always radiate out of his skin. His body was in a coma as the young master leaned closer... and closer to him. The only thing he could do right now, was to close his eyes.


And then...


Kyuhyun closed the distance between them.


To be continued...


A/N: Am I making any sense in this? :( Past weeks had been ty for me. Sorry. T_T

 

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

x flower_elf - adults and aristocrats from long ago are always concerned about power and image. And Sungmin and Kyuhyun's parents are such..... but yeah, at least they get to hold on to each other,.

 

x IchinikyuuRin - Thank you! I'm glad that you found this different and interesting :D Here's the third one :3

 

x ichathoriqlover - There are a lot of things to happen in the future. Ahra has her reasons and Kyuhyun is yet to discoiver what's in store for him.

 

x kyuririn - we'll get more Kyumin. hopefully soon :D

 

x AwkwardAsian13 -Ahra had been fed up and leaving Kyuhyun was not directly her intention.. :) and I love that sick part too. Sungmin taking care of Kyuhyun like that is just so nice :D

 

x monkeylovesfishy0415 - thank you dear. I'm glad you like this. I'm investing a good amount of effort on this and I'm enjoying it a lot! :D

 

x zozo01 - Heheheh! thanks! I love that scene over the old backyard... It's refreshing and calming somehow :D

 

x mingpeach - I kinda ship them. Ahra and Siwon.... hehehhe :D

 

x elmokyu - Min taking care of the young master. I like it too :D Thanks, dear! and yeah, Ahra left

 

x supermosha1- hehehhe.. unfortunately he can't. Sungmin is a "girl" and Kyuhyun is a guy so he has his own footmen to attend to him.. :3

 

x hyunsmiley - thanks dear.. and yeah I hope everything gets fixed soon. :) thanks dear.