CHAPTER 05

Can You Be Mine

CHAPTER 05

 

NICHKHUN

Talk about small world, who would have thought that my best friend’s fiancée is Victoria best friend. Taec did mention that he got engaged when he went to the US with his parents, we all thought that he’s playing a joke on us that why none of us never took it seriously, I couldn’t imagine the reaction on our friend’s face when they find this out, it would be epic.

Taec cleared his throat breaking the staring contest between the two girls; he made a series of uhm and ah first before he was able to say anything audible, it’s amazing how the usually composed Taec is now stuttering and obviously tensed about the sudden meeting.

 “Khun I’d like you to meet my fiancée Tiffany Hwang, Tiffany this is my best friend Nichkhun Horvejkul.”

“Nice to meet you Mr. Horvejkul” she said in a formal tone.

“Please call me Nichkhun” I said “I’m very glad to finally meet the future Mrs. Ok.”

 

QIAN

The young boys did all the questioning, good for me because I can’t still find my voice to talk at all. I’m very surprised that Taec and Fany are engaged I am happy for the two of them but I can’t help but be sadden because I know that they are marrying each other not because of love but because of their parent’s wishes.

The rest of the dinner was very entertaining, the boys were telling us their stories from their out of town trips and concerts. Nichkhun and Taec were very amused to learn that Chun had a brother who is famous idol too; the two were honest enough to tell that they don’t have any idea who boys were because they really don’t have any time to watch television or read news about the entertainment industry and really made my brother and Chun laugh so hard.

“We will work harder” the boys said in unison after Taec and Nichkhun admitted their lack of knowledge regarding idols, everyone laugh at their action lightening up the mood in the room.

After everyone finished eating Tiffany helped me clear the table while the boys continue their chatting at the bar, the boys insist to help but we told them that they should get back inside and join their hyungs and gege. As soon as they left the kitchen Fany rushed to my side and hug me crying.

“Hey don’t cry, you don’t want the boys to see you like that” I said soothing her back but instead of stopping she even cried harder.

“I’m sorry for not telling you right away, I can’t make myself to call and tell you about it” she said. “I didn’t know anything about it until the night I met him and his family, dad said we were just having a business meeting with a friend from Korea and some friends and the next thing I know he was announcing to everyone at the restaurant that I am getting married to him.”

“You should have told uncle about your feelings about the engagement.”

“You know my father, it is what it is when he makes a decision” she is right, Uncle DooJoon can be very hard to persuade especially when he already made a decision.

“If there’s any consolation in any of this, I am thankful that Taec is the guy uncle decided you to marry and not some leech or rich douche bag” I said trying to comfort her. “You should give the guy a chance, if the marriage is brought together not by love at least try to make friendship as its foundation; Taec’s a great guy, he’s one of the few people I know I can trust with my life and now yours, I’m sure you two would get along eventually” Fany is the opposite of me in some ways but we’re very similar in many ways too.

“I guess he’s a great guy for him to be worthy of your trust” she said leaning on the kitchen counter.

“By the way you should have told me you’re coming I could have picked you up at the airport.”

“If I did it wouldn’t be a surprise anymore; enough about me, what about you?”

“What about me?”

“You know do remember that I’m your best friend right?” I nodded. “So what’s the score between you and Taecyeon’s best friend?” she is indeed my best friend, I should have expect this one coming.

“Nothing”

“I’m hurt if you thought I wouldn’t notice that you’re different with him” I sigh, she knows me too well. “It’s very obvious when you try to avoid someone in a room, you act different, but this one is a different kind of different, you get what I mean?”

“You’re watching too many Korean dramas.”

“Whenever you try to avoid someone in the same room, whenever that person is talking you tend to look away or do something and you did that over and over again every time Nichkhun is talking over dinner” damn, I keep forgetting I can’t hide anything from her.

“Nichkhun is a friend… it’s just that I’m a bit  uncertain about some things between the two of us right now” she yawns, there’s more than an eight hour difference between Seoul and LA, she must be very tired and sleepy.

“Do you want to rest, I can the fix one of the rooms upstairs” I offered.                                     

“I’m okay, there’s tons of things we need to catch up with each other… on second thoughts, I think I’ll take your offer with the room” she said and walk to the door, I wonder what changed her mind and when I turn around I saw Taec and Nichkhun standing at the doorway. “Chun gave me a video tour of the entire apartment, no need to show me to the room” with that said Tiffany was gone leaving me with Taec and Nichkhun.

“I’m sorry if she seems cold and rough on you two, she’ll warm up to guys eventually; Tiff’s really important to us Taec I hope you can take care of her.”

“Don’t worry I will” he assured me. “I think I should leave the two of you so you can talk, I’ll get back to the others” leaving me and Nichkhun alone in the kitchen, it’s the first time in days that we were left alone in a room.

“How are you?” he asks me.

“I’m fine.”

“The foods are delicious by the way.”

“Thanks” I said followed by an eerie silence.

“Are you mad at me?” I jump surprise when he suddenly talks behind me; Nichkhun was taller by a couple of inches than me so when I turn around our faces are facing so close to each other.

“Why would I be? Aren’t I’m supposed to ask that question” I answer and look away immediately to avoiding his eyes.

“No I’m not and you didn’t answer my question.”

“No” I said side stepping and he easily block my way. “I think the others are looking for me, I’ll go and check if they need anything” but instead of moving away be put his hand on the counter trapping me inside.

“I’m sorry for trying to stay away from you, I’m a fool putting all those rumors between our friendship” he said looking straight into my eyes. “I was scared that people will hurt you, I was afraid for your safety; when I saw the scratch in your car and had a flat tire the next day, I know they already set their eyes on you. I thought if they don’t see us together they will stop bothering you but they keep on pestering you.” I want to look away but his gaze wouldn’t let me. “When I found out that you received a bouquet of black roses I was really alarm and it started to waver my resolve and then yesterday a girl approached and told me that a some girls from the upper class insulted and called you names but you never fought back I was so mad at myself because I was the one who brought all this to you. I realize that there’s no more sense in avoiding you, the hell with everyone thinks! If I want to keep you safe I need to be with you so I can protect you.”

I don’t know what to say.

“Before I met you, I only have six friends and now I have seven; you’re the only friend I have other than Taec and the others; you’re the only person that made me feel that I can trust other people again other than my family and friends, you are equally important the way they are to me.”

I still don’t know what to say, I can’t explain this feeling.

“Victoria” he said holding both my hands.  “You are my friend please remember that. Thirteen years ago, I made a promise to Taec and the other and I want to make the same promise to you.”

“Nichkhun, you don’t need to” I manage to say.

“Victoria Lee, thank you for being my friend. I promise you that I will do everything in my power to protect you and keep this friendship forever.”