CHAPTER 17 - The Horvejkul Family

Can You Be Mine

CHAPTER 16

 

"Hey, are you okay? You haven't spoken a word since you got inside the car." 

"Just thinking about some revisions I need for my thesis" she said but he knows she's lying.

"You can tell me the truth" he said in a very encouraging voice.

"Just... scared" Victoria said, thousands of scenario inside her head. "What if they don't like me? What if they want someone better for you?"

Nichkhun just chuckled, he never thought that he would live to see the day Victoria would show her emotions so openly, gone was the girl that had the expressionless face in the hospital. He took Victoria's hand and kissed the back of it, his thumb draw circles when he didn't let go and just continue to drive towards their destination.

"Relax, they're going to love you and our friends are going to be there" he assured her. "Besides, no one would ever be better than you."

"I'm just scared, maybe I shouldn't have come with you tonight. It's a family dinner, I am not even your girlfriend and I don't want to intrude and..." she stopped when she realized that she was already blabbing and said unnecessary stuffs, Nichkhun glance at before setting his eyes back on the road.

"You would be if you have said yes."

"Did you ever asked me?"

"Would you be my girlfriend?"

"No"

"See, I asked you to be my girlfriend and you said no" a hint of disappointed could be detected on his voice."

"Khun..."

"Relax okay, I understand. You need to sort some things first before you get in a relationship" Victoria just squeezed his hand lightly. "And hey, look at the bright side, I get the chance to court you and show you that I'm serious when I said I would wait for you."

Nichkhun slowed down and stopped the side of the road, Victoria was surprised, without saying anything, Nichkun took out his phone and pressed the speaker; becfore she could ask what he was doing, a young girl's voice was heard on the other line.

"Khunnie where are you? Are you with unnie already? Can you please hurry up? I'm excited to meet my unnie!" Nichkhun can't help but laugh at his sister excited voice, she's been bugging him to introduce Victoria to her sine last week when he mentioned that he wanted to introduce her to them and invite her to dinner. 

"Calm down Chae, we're on our way, is everyone there already?" 

"Yes! And everyone's excited to meet her, auntie's and uncle's are all excited too! Please hurry up already, I can't wait to meet my unnie!" Nichkhun just laughed at her sister's excitement to meet Victoria.

"Since when did she become your unnie? You haven't met her yet, what if she's mean and doesn't like and gets annoyed at you easily?" Victoria glared at Nichkhun but he just winked at her.

"No she's not mean!" the girl protested on the other line! "Oppa wouldn't like her if she's mean and bad" he could see her sister pouting but he was glad that she see's Victoria in such manner.

"Nichkhun Horverjkul, stop making fun of your sister and start driving if you want us to get there in time!" Victoria hissed. "I don't want to be late on my first meeting with your family."

 

As soon as Victoria and Nichkhun entered the private dining hall, Nichkhun's younger sister took her hand and pulled her in the middle to introduce her to the men and women inside.

"Mama! Papa! Unnie's here!" the young girl declared proudly. Victoria was terrified the moment she heard the young girl calling her parents she saw her friends giving her encouraging smiles.

"Chae darling, you should have not dragged your brother's girlfriend across the hall what if the two of you got hurt" the elderly woman said carrasing the young girls cheek, Victoria can feel the cheek burning when she have mentioned 'brother's girlfriend'

"Sorry Mom, I'm just excited to introduce unnie to you. I told you she's pretty but she looks prettier up close" the little girl said grinning when she look up at her.

"I'm sorry, Chae was just so excited to finally meet you" the lady said. "You must be Victoria."

"Good evening Mr. and Mrs. Horvekjul" she greeted, she handed Yura Horvejkul the bouquet of Casablanca Lilies. "Happy Anniversary to both of you"

"Oh dear please call me Auntie Yura just like the others and this is your Uncle Jaebum, my husband. Thank you so much, these flowers are very lovely" Yura Horvjkul looks regal in her simple black dress while Nichkhun's father stood tall and proud beside his wife, she could see were Nichkhun got his height and looks from, it definitely runs in the family.

 

The night ended with another dinner invitation for Victoria but this time, it will be in the Horvejkul residence, she was mentally scolding herself as to why she didn't manage to come up with an excuse to turn down their invitation. Probably because a ten year old girl name Chaerin Horvejkul a.k.a. Nichkhun's younger sister was looking at her with droopy puppy eyes that she can never say no to. 

"I can't wait to see you next Friday darling" Yura Horvejkul said when Victoria and Nichkhun said their goodbyes.

"Thank you for inviting me to your anniversary dinner ma'am."

"We told you to call us auntie and uncle, if you want, you can even start calling us mom and dad."

"Ma..." Nickhun protested, Victoria was blushing bigtime.

"What? That would be a nice practice, isn't it hun?" she looked at her husband.

"I don't mind another daughter calling me dad" Nichkhun raised both his hands in defeat.

"Okay, I need to send Victoria home now before this conversation leads elsewhere."