CHAPTER 03

Can You Be Mine

CHAPTER 03

QIAN

It’s been two months since the accident, Jieun and I recovered quickly and back on our feet just a few weeks after. My relationship with Nichkhun immensely improved; we were able to talk with each other, even just the two of us. He now replies whenever I greet him good morning or say hi when we see each other on the hallway, there are still awkward moments but it’s better than our situation before when he acts as if I don’t even exist or I’m not in the room with them.

I found out that the he’s not that rude and cold hearted at all, he’s actually the opposite; he’s nice and thoughtful, very attentive to his friend’s needs and feelings especially with Soeun and Jieun, no wonder all of them looks up to him as a big brother and respect his opinion so much.

After Nichkhun told me the story how the seven of them met each other, I began to understand where all the coldness and suspicion is coming from though he didn’t say it directly I know that he sees it as his responsibility to look after and take care of his friends. Knowing that you’re going to inherit a multi-million dollar empire when you grow up can really take its toll on a kid, it can really bothersome and frustrating when you always need to look behind your back because you’re afraid for your safety.

Few weeks after I return to school I thought everything is going to be alright but another problem started to surface. I unluckily attracted the attention of the campus who is madly and crazily obsessed to Nichkhun, it has come to Hyuna’s attention that her precious prince has been treating me well lately, I guess he wasn’t that scared before because Nichkhun was really cold and rude to me, she never expect that the two of us can get along and be friends because according to the others she tried so many times to get his attention and failed every time.

I started receiving hate mails and threats, I don’t need to think  to know who sent them and it’s funny how she spend more time  thinking of ways how to threaten me than studying. I didn’t tell anyone about, I’m not the type of person to simply fuss over a piece of paper saying I would die if I don’t stay away from someone. Its day fourteen, exactly two weeks after I started receiving hate mails things started to escalate and I got to hand it to Hyuna and her loyal followers, they can be very creative with their threats.

“Victoria, you need to tell us what’s going on” Soeun confronted me. “You said you got that scratch on your car because some kid scratched it when you parked outside a coffee shop; yesterday you needed to ride home with your brother because you have a flat tire and now you receive a bouquet of black roses” I have been very careful keeping all of this from my friends, I don’t want them to worry about nothing but Hyuna really have an impeccable sense of timing, of all the time in the world, she chose to send me these flowers when I’m with Soeun.

“Soee maybe someone’s just playing some stupid prank on me, don’t worry about it I’m it will stop eventually” I tried to calm her, she was freaking out and really worried.

“How can you take this so lightly?” she said, good thing there wasn’t any note with the flowers. “We should report this. This is not funny Vic, what if someone tries to hurt you?”

 “Look, I promise to tell you if everything gets out of hand but please… you need to promise me you won’t tell this to the others please, I don’t want them to worry about nothing” it took her a while to answer but I know I convinced her.

“Alright but you promise me you will tell me as soon as everything gets out of hand okay?”

“I promise” I said and she hugs me real tight.

“So, I see things are doing great between you and Khun” she said while we were getting rid of the flowers.

“We’re good.”

“Good?”

“Yeah, good should there be more?”

“Nothing, I just thought you two really look good together” I mentally groan, I wish I could pretend she didn’t ask me that question but I know she wouldn’t let go so easily.

“Nichkhun and I are just friends there’s nothing more to it” she look disappointed.

“You mean you never thought of him more than a friend?”

“No, Nichkhun’s a gentleman you shouldn’t put meaning into everything he does for me.”

“I see, but I want you to know that if ever you and Khun…” I cut her off before she could even finish what she’s about to say.

“I’m not having this conversation anymore.”

“Do you have someone waiting for you in LA?” I couldn’t help but just laugh at her question.

“So now you’re laughing at me, come on Vic, we’ve been friends for months now we barely know anything about your personal life!”

“Let’s go we’re going to be late” I said and heads back to the room.

 

NICHKHUN

We manage to brush the kidnapping attempt under the rugs, we needed to tell our classmates that Jieun is sick and Victoria needed to go back to LA to take care of important things to explain their absences.

 “Hyung, the rumors are getting out of hand” Chansung said when we’re walking to the gym for PE. “I heard the girls from the other section talking about her and how they want to strangler her because you’re too close with her.”

When Victoria went back to school I know I’ve been attentive towards her more than I should be even my friends noticed it, I didn’t expect people to put meaning in to my actions because Victoria don’t seem to mind; if not for our friends who called my attention to it I wouldn’t know that people around us are looking at it differently.

 “I think you should put some distance between you and noona at least until the rumors dies down, we all know how frantic your fan girls can be” he suggested.

“Why should I, we’re not doing anything wrong besides I also take care of Soeun and Jieun like this whenever Wooyoung and Junho are not around” I defended myself. It’s true though, the only reason why I didn’t bother much looking after the two is because Wooyoung and Junho are already doing a great job taking care of them.

“That’s because people are used to seeing you like that to them and they know that you’re only friends with them” I understand where Chansung is coming from here so I promise to restrain myself for overly looking after Victoria from now on.

A week after my conversation with Chansung, I’ve willed myself to put distance between me and Victoria. And because of the promise I made to Chansung, I was having a difficult time breaking the habits that includes Victoria.

Right after I found out that Victoria was also a coffee addict like me I always but another cup for her every morning, ever since I tried avoiding her, I always pay for two coffee but end up taking one. Our conversations are now limited to school topics and we would only talk if our friends are around, she was able to grasp the situation instantly, I only hope she knows I’m doing this because I don’t want her to get hurt.