07. ~Surprise~

Always By Your Side

Yonghwa led HyunAe back down to her room but she had something else she wanted to show him, they moved towards the tallest tower of the castle when they passed by her brother. Yunho hid behind a wall as he watched the two of them interact.

Yonghwa held HyunAe’s hand, just watching her as she talked about the view animatedly. Yunho saw the look in Yonghwa’s eyes as he watched his sister. It was the same look he once had for his own love. He gave that up a long time ago. He noticed that HyunAe was rather possessive with Yonghwa as well, her hand tightened around his whenever someone walked past them.

Yunho smiled to himself, his baby sister was finally growing up. She just didn’t know it yet, she was rather oblivious, of course. And very cautious. She had gotten that from their father, too cautious rather. 

She didn’t know what she wanted because she was too afraid that the consequences would come back to bite her. She needed to take a chance on this guy. Even if they were just friends for now. Yunho smiled to himself again, HyunAe would be able to find happiness and that would make him happy. She just needed to take the plunge. Yunho walked away as he stopped spying on them, satisfied with himself.

HyunAe led Yonghwa up to the tower and she covered his eyes, "No peeking, okay?" She told him.

"I can't even see anything, what's there to peek?" He said, chuckling. He grabbed her hands and pressed them against his eyes to assure her that he wouldn't peek at all.

She blushed as his hands grasped hers again, she really has no idea what she was doing. She was just friends right, then why would she show him her special place?

She shook off her conscience and pushed him forward slightly to the edge of the wall. She wiggled her hands beneath his, "Okay, you can look now." She told him.

He took her hands off and gasped as they looked over the entire town. All the houses lit up in different colors because of their roof tiles.

It was all quiet because everyone was in their homes for dinner and yet it was loud because the view spoke for itself.

"Amazing, right?" HyunAe said proudly. "You can only get this view from this tower. All the towers look over different sections and the light doesn't reflect the same way everywhere."

Yonghwa turned to her, "Really? I thought it would."

HyunAe shook her head, "No, it's because of the direction of the moon. The moon isn't always full either so it changes because of that as well. But this is my special place whenever I want to get away." She admitted to him. "I'm not sure if my brother knows about this, but he seems to know about everything, so I wouldn't be surprised if he did."

"This is your secret then?" Yonghwa asked her, a smile growing on his face.

HyunAe nodded, "I haven't told anyone either. You're the first."

"As long as I'm the last." He grinned, nudging her lightly and she looked away from him, her face pinking.

"There's something I want to share with you, HyunAe, it's something that I haven't shared with anyone else too." He told her.

HyunAe turned back to look at him, "What is it?" She asked him, she knew it was a secret that he had to tell seeing as how it was too late for them to swim out anywhere.

"Close your eyes," he told her and she followed his instructions. She felt him move away from her slightly but then she could hear a low hum coming from him.

 

geuriwo geuriwoseo geudaega geuriwoseo

maeil nan honjaseoman

geudaereul bureugo bulleobwayo

bogopa bogopaseo geudaega bogopaseo

ije nan seupgwancheoreom

geudae ireumman bureuneyo oneuldo

 

haruharuga jugeul geotman gateundae

eotteokke haeya haeyo

 

saranghae saranghaeyo

geudaereul saranghaeyo

maljocha motagaseo

geudaereul geureoke bonaenneyo

mianhae mianhaeyo nae mari deullinayo

dwineujeun nae gobaegeul

geudaen deureul su isseulkkayo

saranghaeyo

 

HyunAe turned around to look at him as he finished the last line and he had a wide smile on his face but shy eyes. She looked down and twiddled her thumbs as she caught his gaze. She decided to turn around and face the view again. "That was beautiful." She commented.

"My dad wrote it before he passed away, it was his last song. I haven't shared the song with anyone, not even my mom. He told me to give the song to someone I cared about in the future, not just anyone." Yonghwa explained to her. "There's more to the song, but I only chose the part I wanted to sing for you."

"There's more?" She asked him. "Why didn't you want to share it with me now?"

Yonghwa smiled at her, "There's another verse but I want to save the whole song for another day. A more special day." He said and HyunAe looked away from him, "I promise I will sing the whole song for you one day." He held out his pinky to her.

She finally smiled back at him and wrapped her pinky around his. "Deal. I expect you to hold up your end."

"When the time is right." He assured her. "Come on, it's getting late and you need to get your sleep." He took her hand and they headed back down the tower from where they came. A familiar face was pacing outside of HyunAe's door and Yonghwa moved to take his leave.

HyunAe grasped his hand tighter as they approached, she didn't want to do this without him. "Seohyun? How did you get in here?" She asked her friend, whose back was turned to them.

"They let me in after I showed my face to them." Seohyun simply replied and she turned around and HyunAe gasped loudly at her friend.

"But why?" HyunAe asked her as Yonghwa continued to look down at the ground. He knew what it meant for Seohyun to become what she did and he instinctively knew he was part of the reason.

"Because I chose to." Seohyun said nonchalantly as to not worry HyunAe. She had a promise to keep to her brother as to not betray the princess' trust in her. "I figure this way all those guys that wanted me get to share me now."

"But you're a siren now, Seohyun, you can't be with any one guy. You can't be with the guy you'll fall in love with because you'll always have to serve the sirens. You must always lure men to their deaths with your songs." HyunAe said, stating everything that everyone in the room already knew.

Seohyun had to hold back her wince before HyunAe would figure out that there was a real reason why she became a siren. "It's nothing, HyunAe. Don't worry about me, anyway, it's getting late, I just wanted to see you again. I have siren duties in the morning but we still hang out right? You know you only go shopping with me." She said, her demeanor changing to a happier, perkier Seohyun.

HyunAe nodded, "Of course, we will. Take care, Seohyun. I'm always here for you, you know." She said and the other mermaid swam away. As soon as she was gone, HyunAe shook her head, "Seohyun would never choose to be a siren."

"Oh really?" Yonghwa said, his first words since they came down from the tower. HyunAe nodded, "why not?" He asked.

"She always talks about how she wants that love at first sight, whirlwind romance, fairytale type of thing. And she's a huge romantic." HyunAe explained, "we talked about it when we were kids. She wanted love at first sight and I wanted love that grew over time."

"Maybe she did fall in love and the person didn't love Seohyun-ssi back?" Yonghwa suggested.

"But who wouldn't love Seohyun?" HyunAe said out loud. Yonghwa was quiet at that but HyunAe dismissed the whole matter with a wave of her hand. "Anyway, thank you, Yonghwa oppa for sharing your secret with me. Even though it wasn't the whole secret." She told him.

"Thank you for sharing yours with me as well, HyunAe." He replied.

"Have a good night." HyunAe said, turning towards her door when Yonghwa grabbed her wrist to turn her back around. He leaned his forehead against hers again and they stared at each other. She froze in her spot, holding her breath.

"I mean it, HyunAe. Thank you for sharing your secret with me. I will always keep it to myself, as I have already promised to stay by your side for as long as you want me." He told her, before pulling himself away. "Good night, HyunAe."

She nodded, frozen in place and he smiled to himself before swimming away. She managed to open her door before plopping onto her bed and freaking out all over again.


Author's Note;;
another update :D lol. I forget... how old I made her.. :/ 
how old does she sound to you guys? lol. :o 
if you say 16.. then the story works out then LOL. 
if not.. then i need to figure out a time lapse thing ><