09. ~Secret Exchanges~

Always By Your Side

HyunAe looked around to make sure no one was going to spy on her, if her father had found out what she wanted to do it, he would chain her to one of the palace rooms and make sure she couldn’t leave. There was not a single soul in sight and she made a dash for it, bursting out of her room and heading out towards the tallest tower. She was going to swim all the way up to the surface and she was finally going to see what it was like up there. 

She was just curious as to what was going on, she neared the top and she could feel the warmth of sunlight on her, which was odd because she was certain it was night time back home. She moved towards the surface and felt the sun on her skin as she looked around.

There was a boat not far from her so she made sure to keep her head down, as to not be seen, she saw that there were many people on the sand. She saw them as they ran around and she knew that she wanted to be able try that.

She looked around again and the boat was moving closer to her, she had to go back to the kingdom without being seen. It was funny though, her father always warned her not to go to the surface or leave his boundary. And she knew that she was doing both, and yet no one was around to find her.

She dove back down before the boat could see her and she swam back to the tower of the castle, she had to find a way to get the sea witch’s cave. She needed that last ingredient in order to see what surface life was life for herself. At night, the guards were even more aware of her movements because they had nothing else to do and those on the night shift, were also wide awake because they slept during the day.

She had to wait until the morning to see Yu Jin and then she could make the potion on her own without help. 

~

HyunAe waited for daybreak and she figured that it also meant it was night time on the surface since there was a time difference. She made sure no guards were around as she swam silently away to the cave of the sea witch. She didn’t reside outside of her father’s boundaries but she was on the very outskirts of their town. And she had to go alone, she wasn’t going to ask Yonghwa for help in case he was going to spy on her.

She didn’t like going that far out by herself anymore, but she had to in order to keep this secret. The cave was in her sights and she swam towards it as Yu Jin sat on her self-made throne with a smirk on her face.

“Good morning, princess. I’ve been expecting you.” Yu Jin told her, as she rose from her throne. 

HyunAe stammered her greeting before she regained her composure, “Hello, I’ve come for your tentacle.” She said clearly.

Yu Jin gave a small nod, “I know. I have it for you already. You’re lucky that I kept all my tentacles stored from my youth. I never know when it’ll be needed.” She reached into one of her cabinets and took out one tentacle as she held the box out to HyunAe. 

HyunAe tried to reach for it but Yu Jin took it out of her grasp, “Not just yet, princess. There is a price to pay for this, you know, my services do not come for free.” She told her.

“What do you need?” HyunAe asked back, “What is it that you require of me?” 

Yu Jin gave her a small smile, “One mermaid tear pearl by the end of the day. And it must be yours and it must be over a boy.” She said wickedly.

HyunAe’s jaw dropped at the price for the tentacle and she nodded her head slowly, it was something she had to do but she had no idea how it was going to happen. It was the only way she could get the tentacle needed to get to the surface.

“Hurry along, princess. You only have until the sun sets.” Yu Jin said, kicking her out of her cave and leaving the princess to herself.

HyunAe rushed out of the cave and went to the reef that Yonghwa had showed to her, the fishes were not swimming around but she remembered being there. She decided that maybe if she could cry over Yonghwa, then she could get the pearl for Yu Jin.

She looked around and watched her memory come to her as Yonghwa held her hand and showed all the fish that was around them, how the reef was bright. He had showed her this place knowing she had never seen it before.

She had shared with him her secret in the tower and he had sang the song his father wrote for him before he disappeared. She remembered the feeling of losing him to Seohyun and how she hated that, hated her friend for it.

She was not about to lose again, she had to find this on her own two feet, she had to make sure she could overcome this.

She felt wetness on her cheek as she realized that her tears had been falling. She gathered them up into her hand, shaping them into the pearl they were meant to be. She smiled to herself as the pearl glistened pink, that meant innocence. Every pearl had a different story and she knew that pink was for those who were innocent in love and had experienced their first heartbreak.

HyunAe rushed back into the sea witch’s cave and Yu Jin smiled at her, “Completed your mission?” She asked.

HyunAe held out the pearl to her and Yu Jin snatched it quickly to examine it in the light. She had another wicked smile on her face, “You are so innocent, princess. You shouldn’t lose that. You’re lucky to have kept your innocence for so long.” Yu Jin told her. 

HyunAe looked at her in surprise again, the sea witch sounded a bit remorseful when she said that, “Did you lose someone you loved, Yu Jin?” She asked bluntly.

Yu Jin gave her a sad smile before going back to her business-like self, “That’s none of your business. But thank you for your pearl, princess. You have earned my tentacle.” Yu Jin said, throwing the box to her. “If you want the spell to last longer, then here is another ingredient not listed in that book of yours.” 

HyunAe’s eyes lit up at the thought of her potion lasting longer, “What is it?” 

Yu Jin held out a vial of red liquid to her, “This is the blood of a female sea turtle, she lays her eggs on land and swims under the seas. This will make your potion last just a little bit longer and it will also make sure you will always be able to find your way home.” Yu Jin told her, handing the vial to her.

“Thank you, Yu Jin.” HyunAe told her and lowered her head slightly in a bow. 

“Be careful, princess. The world is not what you imagine it to be.” Yu Jin warned her before dismissing her and sitting back down on her throne.

— 

Yonghwa finished his deliveries early that morning and he waited around for Kiseop to come by and let him know that HyunAe was requesting his presence. His mother was still in bed as she was resting from the other day and he had already had a talk with Hongki and his friends about helping his mother.

He tapped his fingers as he waited around for her to request him, his mom noticed that he was anxious.

“What’s wrong, Yonghwa?” She asked him weakly from her bed. The house was bigger but he preferred to stay in her room to keep an eye on her.

“Nothing, I’m just worried now I guess. HyunAe always likes to explore and yet I haven’t been requested. Her father said I have to accompany her if she wants to leave, but then she can’t be staying in the palace all day, can she?” Yonghwa mused aloud, he didn’t want to tell his mother what he was truly worried for, as she would find him silly.

“You should talk to someone at the palace then, someone close to her, maybe they’ll be able to tell you what she’s been up to.” His mother suggested, “Do you have anyone in mind?"

Yonghwa thought about it for a moment, before someone popped into his head, “One, but it’ll be hard to get a chance."

“You can do it, Yonghwa, after all, you’re your father’s son. He persevered through everything for you and you can do the same.” His mother told him and she closed her eyes as she fell asleep, taking another nap.

Yonghwa tucked his mother in before heading out to the palace, he knew what he had to do. Unexpectedly, the person was already waiting for him at the gates and he bowed his head low to greet him.

“Good morning, Yonghwa.”


Author's Note;;
WOOOTTT :D Another update :3 lol. <3 
There's a surprise for you all in the next chapter ;)
Please enjoy <3 and I hope you like this ><