14. ~First Rehearsal and Concert~

Always By Your Side

Yonghwa woke up the next morning to the sun on his face, he knew that it was night time back home, but while he was here, he had to follow the times. He checked the closet and noticed that the other guys and left him some of their clothes to borrow. He recognized the shirts that was similar to the one Minhyuk had given him yesterday.

He stood up and stretched beside his bed for a bit, it didn't take him very long to get used to having legs, but he always stretched in the mornings, now he just had extra limbs to stretch. He felt the tension in his newfound legs as he stretched them out and relaxed his mind.

He had a mission and that was to find HyunAe as soon as possible. She was on land when it was night time, so he had to wait for night fall to find her, but he knew that if the other guys were right about their band then it wouldn’t take long. He just hoped he wouldn’t have lost her by then.

If the thief had made her cry before he found her, then he would have lost her. But he would have lost his legs already if he had failed. That is what Yu Jin had promised him, if he failed then he would know, so he couldn’t lose hope.

“Yo, sleepyhead. You awake yet?” Minhyuk said, knocking on his door. Yonghwa didn’t know how to respond since he had no voice, but it wasn’t necessary since Jonghyun did it for him.

“He can’t talk, you idiot. You have visually check up on him.” Jonghyun remarked as the door opened and they found Yonghwa already dressed.

“You look good.” Jungshin commented as he was also waiting for Yonghwa to wake up. “Let’s go practice.” They dragged him away to their studio which was right next door to the house and he saw all of their equipment.

Minhyuk ran for the drums as Jonghyun and Jungshin both picked up guitars. He remembered thats what they had called it the night before. “Let’s work with your song and then after that we can see what you can do.” Jungshin suggested.

Yonghwa nodded and he pointed at a different guitar, but it reminded him of the stringed instrument he played back at home when he sang this song. Jonghyun walked towards him and picked it up, slinging it on his shoulder. “You prefer it with an acoustic?” Jonghyun asked him. Yonghwa nodded his head, he made a slow hand gesture as he tried to explain that he wanted it to be a slow rhythm.

“I got you.” Jonghyun said as they sat down and Yonghwa started to sing. He took several tweaks but Jonghyun finally managed to get the right chords to match the beat Yonghwa preferred.

“Okay, now time to explain to you why we are called Wave.” Jungshin told him, Yonghwa turned to him attentively and made sure to show that he was paying attention.

“We sing songs of fairy tales and mostly ones about the mermaids, mostly because we believe in them. We like to make sure that believe don’t forget the stories. So we sing about mermaids, the ocean, anything related to the sea that is mythical.” Jungshin explained to him. “Most of the time, they are love songs which is what really gets the girls but we are talking about mermaids’ love, or love of the sea.” 

Yonghwa nodded his understanding before holding his hand out for the acoustic guitar. Jonghyun willingly handed it over to him and smiled. Yonghwa pulled the strap over his head like Jonghyun did and tried to figure out the instrument. He knew he would be able to play it but he wasn’t sure if it was the same as what he was used to. 

After a few tries, he managed to get the song that he wanted to play across. It was a slow tempo song that spoke of a one-sided love, where the man wants to protect his woman with all his heart even though she doesn’t notice him. Jungshin started to play along as soon as he recognized the song as something they played. They jammed together until Yonghwa played the last note.

“How do you know that song?” Jungshin asked him, and Yonghwa bit his lip in thought. He couldn’t really explain it to them but he had to try and think of something.

“Long story?” Jonghyun suggested as he was getting used to reading Yonghwa’s body language. Yonghwa nodded at him, “You should tell us one day, when there’s time.” Jonghyun said.

Yonghwa nodded and smiled, he would tell them one day. “Okay, fine. Let’s practice some more and then you have to get ready for tonight.” Jungshin said and they continued to play.

~

After several hours of practice and some food, the boys brought Yonghwa to the bar they played at. It was empty and they took their time to set up themselves. They had brought out a chair for Yonghwa to open the performance with his song and an extra guitar for him to play along while Jonghyun sang.

He tried to help but they moved in sync with each other that he couldn’t do anything even when he tried. He stood there and watched them as they organized everything exactly how they were used to but leaving a space for him to be when it was his time.

“Okay, so now we wait for the customers and then we play. We have some groupies that always come and then we also play out onto the speakers in the street. Be ready in 15 minutes.” Jungshin instructed and they split apart, leaving Yonghwa to twiddle his thumbs. He was a bit nervous about this whole thing, he had never sang his song in front of people before. And it was his special song, but it was the only song that he was capable of singing for her once he found HyunAe. He had to share a part of his special song with other people in order to find her. 

He bothered him a bit but there was nothing he could do about it. He had to find her, some girls filed in and he heard them squeal when they stared at him. He wasn’t oblivious to humans, they were rather much more open about their affections it seemed. Jungshin and the others came back in time and gave him a look to start right away.

Yonghwa took a seat in his chair and he closed his eyes as he heard Jonghyun playing the guitar. The mic was in front of him but it didn’t matter. What mattered was he was singing for HyunAe in an effort to find her.

 

geuriwo geuriwoseo geudaega geuriwoseo

maeil nan honjaseoman geudaereul bureugo bulleobwayo

bogopa bogopaseo geudaega bogopaseo

ije nan seupgwancheoreom geudae ireuman bureuneyo

oneuldo

 

He opened his eyes as soon as he was finished and he saw the room was filled with more girls than it had when he first started singing and all of their eyes were welled up with tears. He gave a nervous smile before moving over to the guitar to let Jonghyun sing.

“That was our newest member, Yonghwa. Did you enjoy his singing?” Jonghyun said, greeting the crowd to which every girl screamed at his question. He turned to Yonghwa, gesturing for him to look around. But HyunAe was nowhere to be found.

Now he just had a bunch of girls that were screaming his name and none of them were the one he actually wanted.

~

“Hey, oppa.” HyunAe said as they walked past a bar that was playing music. 

“Yes, princess?” Geun Suk replied back to her, he wanted them to keep walking because he had to make sure he returned back in time to get the loot from that old man who would be making his rounds tonight.

“Do you hear that? It sounds like a song I know.” She told him, pointing towards the bar.

“I’m sure it’s a popular song, princess. Come on, I made reservations for us at this nice restaurant and we don’t want to be late.” He urged her. 

HyunAe shook her head and dismissed the thought that the song even sounded similar to the one she grew up with, “You’re right, I must be hearing things."


Author's Note;;
You didn't think I would make this easy for him now did you? lol. 
Now that would be boring. But rest assured, our two lovers will be meeting in the next chapter :3
And there's an extra little thing thrown in here later;) it was inspired by his solo "One Fine Day" :D
If you can guess what my feels were from just that, then you're a genius :3 enjoy~