Walls

The Distance Between Us

"Remember those walls I've built? Baby they're tumbling down..."

 

"Jonginnnnnnn I can't go back out there," Kyungsoo cried out before heading up to the stage of their Music Bank performance. The doe eyed boy is still very scarred by his not-so-perfect high notes yesterday. Being a perfectionist, screwing up his part in front of thousands of people really cracked him down.

"But hyung! We have to! The fans are waiting for us..." Jongin pleaded exasperately. 

"I can't.. I'm not ready yet! What if I screwed up again?! What if I-"

"Is everything okay?" a voice cut Kyungsoo off. The pair turned around and saw a concerned looking Baekhyun walking towards them.

"Nothing, everything's fine hyung." Kyungsoo replied, avoiding his gaze.

"No, nothing is not wrong. Tell me, what's wrong." Baekhyun asked gently.

"Kyungsoo hyung says that he isn't prepared and he is still very shakened up by yesterday's performance." Jongin helped Kyungsoo to reply. Baekhyun glanced at Kyungsoo before looking back at Jongin.

"Why don't you head out to find the rest first? I will talk him around." Baekhyun said. Nodding, Jongin went out of the changing room.

"Soo...is everything okay? You seemed so off lately, isn't this what you always wanted to do? Sing on stage, feeling the glory of the spotlight, and gaining fame? Why are you backing down because of one bad performance?" Baekhyun asked gently while slowly moving towards Kyungsoo. Kyungsoo looked into the mirror. The person he saw is not him. Who he saw in the mirror is the D.O that is covered in make up and uncomfortable costumes. He wasn't sure if he was him anymore.

"Everything is just so messed up hyung... I can't even think properly and I don't know why, although this is only the second day after our debut, but I am just so exhausted. Did you read the comments on our performance last night? Many people are talking about how I screwed up my high notes. My voice cracked hyung. It cracked ON STAGE. In front of thousands of people! It's just... I don't know..." Kyungsoo looked down at his feet. He heard Baekhyun shuffling behind him, then , he felt a body pressed against his back. Kyungsoo stiffened, he looked up into the mirror, and he saw Baekhyun standing behind him. Baekhyun had his hands on Kyungsoo's waist. Kyungsoo blushed. It was only because of the amount of BB cream that the make up artist had applied on his cheeks to make the blush look not so prominent. 

"Oh my god...his hands...why is my heart thumping so fast?!" a hurricane on thoughts assaulted Kyungsoo's mind.

"Look into the mirror Do Kyungsoo." Baekhyun said while ignoring the fact that they are so close to each other, "what do you see?"

"I see myself and I look pathetic." Kyungsoo sighed.

"That's not what I see."

"Then what do you see hyung?" Kyungsoo turned and face Baekhyun, who took a step back.

"I see my adorable best friend, I see D.O, I see a talented little boy, I see a star" I see an innocent little boy with such bright sparkling eyes that I cherish so much Baekhyun left the last part out as he doesn't want to scare his best friend, "and I see my very best friend who is every fangirls's dreams."

"Hyung...stop it.." Kyungsoo chuckled.

"I am just telling you what I saw in you." Baekhyun replied.

"But what if I scre-"

"Stop saying that you will screw up Soo! The less confident you are, the more you will be screwing up! So just shake away that feeling and let's go out to give our best already!" Baekhyun said. Kyungsoo slowly smiled and hug Baekhyun.

"Thank you hyung...for everything," Kyungsoo bit back a sniffle. He couldn't afford to cry now as he would ruin his make up.

"No problem Soo, lets go out there and make ourselves proud now!" with that, Baekhyun grabbed Kyungsoo's hand and went out to find the others.


Before the starting of their "MaMa" performance, Kyungsoo finally managed to still himself. Looking to his right, he saw Baekhyun, who gives him a thumbs up and a wink. Then, the music started, it's show time.

"Okay. I can do this, I can hit it, I must hit the note and make us proud, I mus-" Kyungsoo did it. Kyungsoo hit the note. Although it wasn't perfect but he managed to hit the note. And it is so much better than the note from his previous performance. He is happy. He is relieved. Looking at Baekhyun, Baekhyun gave him a small sly smile of encouragement. Determined to make his fans proud, Kyungsoo stayed focused on his dance moves and singing, hitting all the correct notes. Every dance moves, every note he sang, it slowly brought back his confidence.

"I love performing so much! I am so glad! The spotlight feels so warm, the fans chanting feels so great, people screaming my name, I want to bask in this fame forever, I wan-" Kyungsoo's thought was cut off by a cracked note. However, the note is not from him. Baekhyun cracked up his high notes. Kyungsoo finds it hard to stay focus but he managed to continue singing and dancing his parts in perfection. Turning around, he saw Baekhyun, who gave him a slight wink and a smile.

Soon, the performance is over. They thank the fans on the stage and began making their way back to their dormitory.


Back in the dormitory, Kyungsoo is making dinner for everyone while the rest either take a bath or went to their own shared bedroom to rest. Kyungsoo is marinating the chicken while a refreshed Baekhyun walked in. Kyungsoo eyed Baekhyun while giving an amused look.

"What? Is there something on my face?" Baekhyun asked.

"You screwed up your note on purpose. Why?" Kyungsoo asked, ignoring the older's question.

"Huh? What do you mean I screwed up on purpose? Are you teasing me just because you managed to hit all your notes today? You looking down on me now?" Baekhyun smirked.

"Come on hyung, don't go there. I know you did it on purpose! But why?"

"I don't know what you're talking about~" Baekhyun began to walk out of the kitchen.

"Byun Baekhyun! You ain't going anywhere until you answer me!" Kyungsoo said while holding a spatula and blocking Baekhyun's way.

"I know you screwed it up on purpose because during all of our vocal practices, you could hit all those high notes like a baby while drawing your eyeliner with one hand, with your legs dancing to DBSK's 'Mirotic' while your other hand plays the 'Flight of the Bumblebee' on the piano!" Kyungsoo exclaimed. Baekhyun look amused.

"You're exaggerating Soo, you should know that I at multi-tasking!" Baekhyun defended.

"Okay, maybe I exaggerated a little, but that's not the point! Tell me! Why did you do it?"

"Hmmmm because I want to?" Baekhyun smirked. Kyungsoo looked as if he is going to attack Baekhyun with the spatula, "Okay fine, fine! I'll tell you." Baekhyun laughed.

"Spill." Kyungsoo glowered not-so-menacingly at Baekhyun. Baekhyun is his best friend after all, you could never get angry with your best friend.

"I did it because I know how much you cares when you read the comments from the fans online. So I did it so that now you and I are the same. We are now both main vocals that cracked up our high notes, so there would be no room for comparison for the fans." Baekhyun said as if he is saying that the neighbour's cat just drank a saucer of milk. Baekhyun said it as if he doesn't care. Kyungsoo's jaw dropped. Settling his spatula aside, he pulled Baekhyun into a bear hug.

"Kyungie! You've got sauce on your shirt! And I just bathed!" Baekhyun whined.

"Shut up hyung! I'm feeling emotional." Kyungsoo mumbled into Baekhyun's chest. Chuckling, Baekhyun played with Kyungsoo's locks of hair. After a few minutes, Kyungsoo let go of the embrace while blushing.

"Thank you hyung." Kyungsoo said shyly.

"You're welcome my friend," Baekhyun beamed.

"Yah Umma, is the dinner ready?" a certain creepy giant stalked into the kitchen. Kyungsoo glared Chanyeol for interrupting his private moments with Baekhyun again. Then, Kyungsoo remembered.

Oh yes. Dinner. He totally forgotten about it.

 

.....

.....

.....

...

...

...

.

.

.

I've tried to add in fluff into this chapter to make up for the previous chapter which I screwed up so badly ;~~~~; did I did better? I'm so sorry OTL I know many of you wants to kill me now ;~~~~~; anyways, 7 subscribers! Woohoo I love you guys so much! This is my first story ever, thus I was a little afraid that no one would like it. Anyways, do stay tune! As I've said before, this is going to be a loooooooong story as I am just so looooooong-winded. I will try to update everyday as it is my term break right now, however I am not so sure after my school reopens, but I will try to update as quickly as possible. Once again thank you all for reading! I love you guys!!!! please forgive me for any grammatical errors..AGAIN. I LOVE YOU GUYS XOXO