Answers

The Distance Between Us

 

"No matter how much I want and beg, there’s only your empty spot, filled with tears... I want you to give me love, that’s all I need..."

 
"Hyung, can we talk?" Jongin approached Baekhyun, who is currently washing up his cup after a drink.
 
"Sure Jongin, what do you want to talk about?" Baekhyun fake-smiled. Jongin sighed.
 
"Baekhyun hyung, you shouldn't use that smile on me. I know it's fake." Jongin said as a matter of fact.
 
"Fine, but smiling beats frowning, so...why not?" Baekhyun shrugged, "so now, what is it you want to talk to me about?"
 
"It's about Kyungsoo hyung." Baekhyun froze at Jongin's words.
 
"There's nothing to talk about."
 
"Really? I used to be very confuse as to why you are always so hostile to me when it comes to Kyungsoo hyung, but I guess I know why now." Jongin said. Baekhyun pinched the bridge of his nose before letting out a long sigh. It's been two days since Baekhyun kissed Kyungsoo on impulse, and it's been two days since Kyungsoo avoided him.
 
"He told you?" Baekhyun asked. 
 
"Yeah... I mean... Even if he didn't tell me, it's kind of obvious that you guys quarreled. Our dorm walls aren't exactly thin, almost everyone heard both of you crying that night but they just don't know why.." Jongin sighed.
 
"What did Kyungsoo told you?" Baekhyun asked tiredly.
 
"That, you don't have to know. Just know that he told me everything, and..." Jongin trailed off. Baekhyun eyed Jongin, urging him to go on.
 
"What?" Baekhyun became impatient.
 
"Just know that the situation now is not what you think it is." Jongin said. Baekhyun is confused. He has no idea what Jongin is saying.
 
"What do you mea-"
 
"Give it some time hyung. Kyungsoo hyung will come around. I mean... You should know about his family and Kyungsoo hyung is a good boy. But he will come around eventually. One cannot simply walk away when it's true." With that, Jongin his heels and left an utterly confused Baekhyun standing alone in the kitchen.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That day is EXO's first anniversary. Kyungsoo woke up as he felt something stirring at the foot of his bed. Opening his eyes, he looked around. He is alone in his room. Feeling cold, he pulled his blanket closer to him. Some how, he felt lonely. 
 
Then. Suddenly.
 
"GOOD MORNING UMMA!" a certain creepy lanky guy jumped up at the foot of Kyungsoo's bed, causing Kyungsoo to jolt straight up from bed with a heart attack.
 
"Yeollie! What are you doing?! I just had the shock of my life!" Kyungsoo squeaked.
 
"Umma! Today is our anniversary! Can you cook dinner tonight? I miss your cooking even though I just had it last night!" Chanyeol pouted. Kyungsoo laughed at the fact that his hyung is acting cute to him.
 
"Fine, let me get dressed first! Then let's go to the grocers to get the ingredients" Kyungsoo laughed. Pushing Chanyeol out of the room, Kyungsoo went over and picked out an oversized hoodie and a pair of sweats to wear. Finish dressing, he went out to find Chanyeol in the kitchen. As Kyungsoo is making his way down the hallway into the kitchen, he bumped into Baekhyun. Baekhyun who saw Kyungsoo, froze in his way. 
 
"M-morning Kyungsoo.." Baekhyun said.
 
"Morning Baekhyun hyung.." Kyungsoo replied. The both of the stood awkwardly at the hallway while avoiding each other's gaze.
 
"It's EXO's anniversary today huh?" Baekhyun started to avoid the awkward silence.
 
"Yeah... It's been... One year. Time flies huh?" Kyungsoo replied.
 
"Yeah.." and so much has changed Baekhyun thought solemnly.
 
"Uhm...I better get going, Chanyeol is waiting for me." Kyungsoo said.
 
"Okay... Chanyeol? For?" Baekhyun asked curiously as he always knew that Kyungsoo isn't close to Chanyeol.
 
"Yeah.. He wanted to accompany me to the grocers to get some ingredients for tonight's dinner." Kyungsoo shifted uncomfortably.
 
You could've asked me..."Oh.. Okay.." Baekhyun replied sadly.
 
"So... I'm gonna just..go now, bye hyung." Kyungsoo hurriedly dashed pass Baekhyun who just stood there. He could hear Chanyeol talking to Kyungsoo excitedly and Kyungsoo laughing in the kitchen. He is jealous. Angry with himself. Feeling a tear slip by his cheeks, he shook it off and headed back into his room to rot.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
At the supermarket, no one recognized Kyungsoo and Chanyeol as they are wearing shades and mask. They were shopping in peace, and thinking of what to cook for their members tonight. Kyungsoo wanted to make some kimchi casseroles from a recipe which he had come up with, and some spicy chicken stew for the others. So, he first went to the kimchi section to get two kilograms of them. Humming a tune, Chanyeol only strolled behind Kyungsoo, not saying a word.
 
"Umma, I was just wondering..." Chanyeol started.
 
"Yes Channie? What is it?" Kyungsoo asked while tossing a bag of kimchi into his shopping cart and is now proceeding to toss a bag of bean sprout in.
 
"I was just wondering why didn't you ask Baekhyun hyung to come with us?" Kyungsoo froze. Seeing Kyungsoo's reaction, Chanyeol continued.
 
"I mean... I know you guys had some pretty rough times lately, but I thought you guys patched it up this morning... I mean... You're talking in the hallways and all an-"
 
"He told you?" Kyungsoo cut Chanyeol off. Chanyeol stood there eyeing Kyungsoo. Even though with shades, he swear he could see Kyungsoo's eyes widening.
 
"No, he didn't tell me anything. I heard him shouting and when I finished bathing and went back into the room, he fell asleep on the floor while crying your name. When I asked him, he won't even tell me what happened." Chanyeol said, Kyungsoo went speechless.
 
"What happened between you two? He seems pretty hurt this time." Chanyeol asked.
 
"Well..." Kyungsoo started as he began walking towards the chicken section to grab some chicken for the stew.
 
"Yes?" Chanyeol asked, urging Kyungsoo to go on.
 
"He kissed me. On the lips. And sort of confessed to me..." Kyungsoo trailed off while eyeing the chicken he picked out, blinking furiously to prevent the tears from falling.
 
"What?!" Chanyeol half shouted.
 
"Shhhh! Lower your volume hyung!" Kyungsoo scolded.
 
"He kissed you?! Woah man Baekhyun is really daring. All this time acting as a wimp and he kissed you to confess?!" Chanyeol's voice went another pitch higher.
 
"Yes! And lower down your volume!...wait, what?! What do you mean be he was being a wimp all these time?" Kyungsoo asked as his eyes widened once again.
 
"I mean... It was quite obvious that he likes you and you likes him..." Kyungsoo glared at Chanyeol, "okay okay, maybe you don't like him...yet? But he is really head over heels for you. It's quite obvious actually."  Kyungsoo was stunned. He totally has no idea that his best friend harbored such feelings for him. Deep down he feel it too but he couldn't reciprocate.
 
"I'm straight hyung, I have a girlfriend."
 
"Well, so was Baekhyun three weeks ago! He dated a girl for you Soo. He tried to forget you and tried to turn himself straight by dating a girl. But you are really too oblivious to see it!" Chanyeol scolded. Kyungsoo tossed the chicken that he finally deems fit for the stew into the basket and headed of to get some potatoes and carrots. 
 
"What was I supposed to feel? I shouldn't feel this way for a guy! Moreover, he's my best friend! And it's so wrong! I mean... He kissed me for gods sakes! It's my first time sharing a kiss with a guy..." Kyungsoo trailed off.
 
"Well, about that... It isn't your first..." Chanyeol said.
 
"What do you mean?" Kyungsoo asked, confused.
 
"You really do not remember anything the night you are drunk?" Chanyeol raised his brows.
 
"No, why?" Kyungsoo asked.
 
"Baekhyun is so gonna kill me for this..." Chanyeol sighed.
 
"Park Chanyeol. What is it?!" Kyungsoo probed.
 
"The night when you are drunk, Baekhyun took care of you..."
 
"Yes I know that, and?"
 
"You sort of...forced him to make out with you and then you won't let him go..." Chanyeol said it in a whisper but Kyungsoo heard it nonetheless. He was shocked.
 
"WHAT?!" Kyungsoo exclaimed. He felt his face got hot and he couldn't breathe.
 
"Yeah.. And he was pretty hurt by that incident by the way, that's why he asked me to keep it as a secret." Chanyeol said. Kyungsoo couldn't believe what he heard. He forced Baekhyun to make out with him? This is crazy! He would never do that...
 
"Unless you was drunk." Chanyeol replied. Kyungsoo had no idea that he had voiced his thoughts out loud. 
 
"I'm feeling faint. Lets head home." Kyungsoo said. Picking up the basket, he headed for the counter with a droopy Chanyeol behind him. After paying, the pair made their way home.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
Kyungsoo laid on his bed processing everything that Chanyeol had told him in the supermarket. He flipped and turned. He just couldn't believe that he kissed Baekhyun when he was drunk. Why didn't Baekhyun confront him about it? Is it because he is too shy or he is scared that he would feel that Baekhyun is taking advantage of him? Feeling frustrated, Kyungsoo sat up in his bed, scratching his head in frustration.
 
Then, the door opened and Lay, dressed in the pink laced apron walked in.
 
"Soo~ I have finished using the kitchen, it's your turn now." Lay announced. That night, finally the whole of EXO is together to celebrate their first year anniversary. So Lay decided to cook half of the dinner and the rest he leaves it to Kyungsoo.
 
"Okay." Kyungsoo stood up and walked towards the kitchen. But before he reached the door, Lay stopped him. Raising his brows, Kyungsoo looked at Lay.
 
"Yes hyung?" Kyungsoo asked.
 
"I've heard about you and Baekhyun from Junmyeon... Are you guys okay?" Lay asked. Kyungsoo let out a sigh. He is really tired from entertaining all of these.
 
"We are...in a phase. We will get over it soon, don't worry." Kyungsoo replied.
 
"Okay..because Junmyeon is worried that your friendship might affect our group's performance...so.."
 
"Don't worry. We are professionals." Kyungsoo smiled.
 
"You... Sure?" Lay asked.
 
"We shall see don't we?" Kyungsoo smirked, "I mean after all, we are not who we really are on stage. We are trained to be two person in two different types of condition." With that, Kyungsoo walked out of the room sassily to cook his part of the dinner.
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
 
That night at the dinner party, everyone is opening their gifts from fans and reading fan letters. Occasionally, someone would ooh and ahh over the expensive gifts they received from their fans. 
 
"Guys, do you guys want to give your fans some fan service before sleeping to thank them for the gifts?" their managers asked.
 
"Sure!" All of them replied. Then, they began to sign on to their fan boards to reply comments of fans. Many people were laughing at their attempts on English and also they are touched about the messages the fans gave them. Then suddenly, there comes a message.
 
"Kai oppa you are my angel." Jongin read out loud.
 
"No way! Let me see!" Kyungsoo laughed. Showing Kyungsoo the message made him laugh out loud even more. 
 
"It's not funny hyung!" Jongin pouted.
 
"I'm sorry... Hey! I have an idea!" Smiling, Kyungsoo immediately searched for that message and replied, "Mine too." 
 
The two boys laughed and laughed at the message as well as the fanservice they offered, but neither of them realizes a jealous Baekhyun observing the both of them from a far. Baekhyun looked into his laptop, trying to block out the sound of a laughing Jongin and Kyungsoo. Not feeling up to it anymore, he typed his last message into the fan board before slamming his laptop shut and walking out of the living room. Junmyeon eyed Baekhyun curiously before shutting down his laptop gently and followed after Baekhyun. He soon found Baekhyun in his room lying faced down. He swear he could hear sobs coming from him.
 
"Hey, is everything alright?" Junmyeon asked gently. 
 
"No. Everything is not alright." Baekhyun cried into his pillow as he waved Junmyeon off.
 
"Do you want to tell me about it?" Junmyeon said as he patted Baekhyun's back to comfort him.
 
"I-I love him..." Baekhyun trailed off. Junmyeon chuckled. Hearing his chuckle, Baekhyun looked up at Junmyeon with his tear-filled eyes, "what are you laughing at?" Baekhyun asked while looking at Junmyeon accusingly.
 
"It's about time you realize." Junmyeon replied.
 
"What? I mean... What do you mean hyung?" Baekhyun sobbed.
 
"It's kind of obvious that you like each other from the start you know?" Junmyeon said.
 
"It's unrequited. He don't love me..." Baekhyun looked down to his feet as he continued to sob.
 
"You should have seen his face when you got to room with Chanyeol. It screams jealousy." Junmyeon said.
 
"But... I kissed him..." Baekhyun trailed off.
 
"What?! Well...then you just have to give him sometime, I mean...he is pretty religious and his family is strict.." Junmyeon said. Just then, Kyungsoo's head popped into the room.
 
"Is everything alright?" Kyungsoo asked. Junmyeon smiled, then look at Baekhyun who seems kind of surprised that Kyungsoo is checking up on him.
 
"Everything's fine, why don't I leave the two of you to....sort out your....situation?" Junmyeon said. Then, he left the room. Kyungsoo and Baekhyun looked at each other for a few awkward seconds before talking.
 
"Hyung"
"Soo" the both of them spoke at the same time.
 
"You go first hyung." Kyungsoo said. Nodding eagerly, Baekhyun stood up and walked towards Kyungsoo.
 
"Soo...I've missed you.." Baekhyun said as he put a hand on Kyungsoo's head. Kyungsoo visibly shrunk away from his touch, so Baekhyun decided to keep his hands to himself.
 
"I...I missed you too hyung." Kyungsoo said.
 
"I'm sorry that I kissed you Soo...I know I should have waited but...I love you. I love you so much." Baekhyun said while looking at the floor. The last he need now is to see how Kyungsoo reacted to him.
 
"I...I know." Kyungsoo said. Surprised, Baekhyun looked up. Their eyes met for a moment. Baekhyun smiled briefly.
 
"I need time hyung. I...I need to sort out my own feelings. I don't want to hurt you. I need...to find myself." Kyungsoo said softly.
 
"That is good enough...for now.." Baekhyun said. His smiled faltered.
 
"Okay.." Kyungsoo replied.
 
"Okay.." Baekhyun repeated. 
 
"I...better go prepare for bed now." Kyungsoo said.
 
"Okay... Goodnight Soo.." Baekhyun said.
 
"G-good night hyung.." With that, Kyungsoo hurriedly turned around and dashed back to his room. Upon reaching his room, he went to grab his bible underneath his pillow and began praying.
 
"Dear father Lord..what should I do? I feel for this man... Can you give me a sign? I need answers..please Lord.." Kyungsoo silently wept as he prayed. In the darkness of the night sky, Kyungsoo saw a wishing star gliding through the sky and disappearing as quickly as it came. Sighing, Kyungsoo put down his bible and went to sleep.
 
In his heart, he already has the answer.
 
.....
 
.....
 
.....
 
...
 
...
 
...
 
...
 
.
 
.
 
.
 
Okay. You guys can kill me now. Sorry everyone T~T I swear this type of angst will last for awhile more before the fluffiness and rainbow-puking comes flying in >_< but...there is gonna be much more angst in the future...as I've said before, don't expect a happy ending, it may not have one... I still thank all of you for your support and all the readers ILU GUYS. Once again, sorry for any grammatical errors....