Fear

Lil' Red and the 12 Bad Wolves

    Lay crept stealthily into the village, hiding from shadow to shadow as the sun went down. Having a warm grey pelt didn't help his case, but Chen was right. Out of the twelve of them, he was the best scout even if his rank of omega prevented him from actually being one. He was light on his feet, rarely leaving tracks, good at blending into any background he pleased, and it was easier for him to go unnoticed by others. 

     The day was growing into evening, and people began retiring into their homes. Unknown to them, a wolf had snuck into the neighborhood right under their noses. Using that to his advantage, Lay moved deeper into the village trying to scope out any clues that could help him. Hushed voices came into his acute hearing rang, and the wolf quickly pressed against he building he was by to eavesdrop.
"Did you hear? That flower girl, who comes here for school almost killed a girl!"
"Really?!"
"Yeah, witnesses say she looked like one of the monsters from forest! Her pupils glowed like red hot embers, and her glare was smoldering to any who dared to look her in the eye. She grew fangs as sharp as knives, too!"
"Ok, now you're just pulling my leg. Geeze, what'd you eat before you got here?"
"I'm not, I swear! Ask anyone else, and they'll tell you what I said!" The villager's voice even smaller, "The Head of the village is planning how to get back at the beast right now with the other counsel members, as we speak! I think-" 
    That was all Lay needed to hear before moving on to his next target. The Head of the village always owned the same estate, after a new  one would be elected, the leader and his family would immediately move in, and the previous out. Turning a few more corners, he was there at the back. Because of the humid summer evenings, the back door was kept open a crack to allow any breeze to come in. From the kitchen which connected the back door to the yard, not only did a breeze blow in, but conversation leaked out.
 
"That child has no place here-no place on this land! Her existence is a threat to us all! If it weren't for those who stepped in, my daughter would've been slaughtered!"
 
"Exactly! Head Jung, what are we going to do?"
 
"Kill her of course!" A feminine voice spoke up.
 
"Brilliant! What would we do with out you, Hyuna?"
 
"My daughter, what are you doing up?! You should be resting! You were almost murdered!"
 
"I'm getting by. . ." Lay rolled his eyes as he heard her fake whimpering.
 
"Besides, don't you want to get back at her?"
 
"How are we go to carry it out?"
 
"Who will do it?"
 
"When?"
 
"Enough! We'll get our best hunter to trap and kill her, at midnight in the forest." The Head said, silencing the counsel. 
 
"But that's Hyunseung!" Lay heard Hyuna cry out. Her father's voice grew stern,
 
"And what of it?"
 
"He always defends the girl. . .so he might not carry out with the plan!" She attempted to finish neutral at a level, but Lay could hear the jealousy in her tone.
"He's a child prodigy, he won't hesitate. And that's final." The Head said, "Now go and get him, if you know what's best for the both of you."
    She groaned, frustrated and slowly began walking towards the back door. Lay panicked a little, before he came up with an escape. He scampered off a couple steps, then transformed into his human self to ease off any suspicion that he'd receive from onlookers. 
    Hyuna came out, and upon seeing the handsome young man, her mood instantly lifted. She smirked a little, before putting on an innocent face for show. Feigning surprise and nervousness, she called out to him,
"W-who are you?"
 
     Lay tried to smile back as normally and charmingly as he could. Key word: TRIED, but it seemed to work as he saw her blush a little. Confidently he lied replying,
"Just a guy who hates curfew."
 
    She giggled smiling back,
"M-my name's Hyuna. I don't think I've ever seen you before, w-where are you from?"
"A nearby village, I'm just here to visit friends and family for a bit."
 
"Oh," She looked disappointed for a second, then perked up again, "Are you busy now? If you want, I could show you around. I know a great place to watch the sunset!"
 
"Sorry, but actually. . ." Lay looked up as if watching the setting sun for time, but thought about you instead. Then an uncharacteristic smirk formed on his face as he said, "I need to get back to my girlfriend now,"
 
    Her jaw dropped as he smiled back sweetly, waving her off, "It was nice meeting you though,"
 
    Hyuna frowned, watching him walk out of sight. In a distressed frenzy, she stormed off to get Hyunseung.
 
    Breathing out a sigh of relief, Lay walked out of the village as casually as he could before transforming to hide his beet red face, 'I can't believe I called ~~~ my girlfriend,' dashing away. It was dusk, and he had to hurry. . .
 
**Hours later**
 
    You laid on you couch quietly, letting the time pass by. It was about a quarter until twelve, and you still remained wide awake. The villagers' threats lingered in your mind, unnerving you further. At every minuscule sound you jumped, unconsciously glancing behind your shoulder. Each time, you would dismiss it as the wind or a tree branch snagging across the side of your house, and relax a little. 
   This carried on for the next ten minutes, nearly sending you to your breaking point. Subtly, the creak of rusty door hinges opening resounded in the walls of the first floor. You couldn't mistake the familiar sound you heard on a daily basis leaving and entering to and from school, for anything else but that. Someone was on the other side of your front door.    
    Swiftly you got up, pulling your hood close before slipping out your back door. The night was pitch black and cooler than any in the past, fueling your discomfort. Your strides became quicker and more hurried as you heard your back door swing all the way open like the first. Heavier steps followed close behind, growing nearer and nearer. The forest was the only thing in your view, as you raced further from your chaser.
    A hand grabbed your wrist and spun you around. You stared bewildered at the person for a moment. The only person who ever treated you like a human being, after the accident with your parents, held a dagger poised above you in his other hand. Your voice became small, and you stared confusedly at him,
"Hyunseung? But. . .why?"
    Pain flashed through the boy's eyes, but then his expression hardened and he ignored your question. Dragging you along with him, the two of you traveled deeper into the forest. His iron grip was sure to leave marks on your wrists, but you knew that wouldn't matter after tonight. 
    After the silent trek, he finally stopped making you as well. You eyed the ground terrified, refusing to meet the other's gaze. Your mind grew fuzzy, and hot tears dripped slowly down your cheeks. You were shaking, fearful for your life. You couldn't believe that out of all the people in the village he was the one to be sent to kill  you.
    Tearing your gaze away from the ground, you looked him in the eyes. However, his brown orbs portrayed nothing as he stared back emptily. Then, as if sensing something you didn't his eyes widen back to their gentle state briefly as he shoved something into your hands. Back again in his emotionless trance he faced you poised. Raising his knife high in the air, he didn't even have time to swing down before a black blur tackled him down from the side. You could feel the presence of multiple others in the area. They closed in on you, Hyunseung, and your savior, hungrily watching the two brawling, waiting for their chance to pounce in. There were grunts from Hyunseung as he fought with the shadow. 
 
"Damn beast," he glowered, trying to wresting the creature off him. The 'beast' was unsurprisingly a wolf,  yet you were shocked to find eleven more surrounding the three of you. You had never seen so many in one place previously though, and frankly, it scared the life out of you. 
    Suddenly his knife was separated from him, laying feet away. One of the dogs from the ring around you, snatched it up in his mouth before the boy could use it again. Hyunseung cried out in pain as the wolf on him bite his shoulder. Next it snapped at his hand that tried to pry his attacker away. The torture didn't stop at there, and after much more agony, the wolf threw back its head give a final blow. Just before the sharp canines sank into the boy's neck, another wolf sprung in front of you to shield you from a gory scene. The wolf was grey and white in color, its  light blue optics solemnly looking down on you. However, in a flash, it was all over-the fight between Hyunseung and the wolf that is. something had happened but not as the beasts planned.
     You heard one say,
"Chanyeol, Kai, and Luhan, search the area for him. He couldn't have gone too far,"
     Clueless as to  who 'Chanyeol, Kai, and Luhan' were, you didn't see any other people around. Three wolves stepped out from their circle to aid whoever called to them. They disappeared from sight, worrying you slightly. 
Finally you looked down to see what had been placed in your trembling hands, and nearly dropped the items in shock. Poorly-bound, school books lay in your palms. You felt your shoulders begin to shake as tears welled up. 'He still cared to bring me these. . .' . You attempted to back away from the dog blocking your front view, but your back bumped into another wall of fur. The one behind grinned at you, making you jump. Noticing your tears and swollen eyes, the wolf's grin then turned into a frown as he watched you sniffle.
    The wolves who left earlier to help their friend, had come back to the ring around just you now. You gulped, unable to access your situation. 
    You'd always known the rumors of the forest and those who inhabited it ever sine you were a little girl. Wild beasts and ferocious monsters lurked in every corner. They fed off the blood, bones, and flesh of humans, said Hyunseung, who hunted there often. The creatures have killed many who ventured into the forest, and those who return don't  come back unscathed. People don't know exactly what they are, because those who've seen them didn't live to tell the tale. So, how did you end up here? Staring face to face with all twelve of the pack.
 
 
 
—————————————————————
    Guys, I'm sorry for not posting a lot lately. Your comments are worth sooo much to me though, and I reread them whenever I need inspiration to write! I also wanted to thank whoever voted for this story, it was a really pleasant surprise for me. (I meant to add that to the last author's note, but it slipped my mind). If whoever you are, could message me, I'd like to thank you more personally! Thanks again for the subs, views, and comments!!
 
~Toasty