Farewell

Lil' Red and the 12 Bad Wolves

 

 
    You snuggled against the warmth beside you. The morning was cool, but even more so because of the sunlight that had yet to peak out from the tops of trees. All was silent, except for the melodic tunes from birds and the gentle rush of the stream's waters. 
 
    Unknown to you, Kai was freaking out. His heartbeat raced faster than it had ever before. Your almost inaudible breathing would've lulled him to sleep, if it weren't for the fact that you were laying centimeters apart.  
    Taking a long deep sigh, he got up. Not before carefully rearranging your head, resting it upon one of blankets instead of cold stone. He gave you a last glance, then walked away to clear his head.
 
    You blinked a couple times, before waking up completely.  Looking around then down, you realized something was missing. The spot beside you felt empty. No doubt there had been something or someone keeping you warm. . 
    Brushing it off, you stood up and started walking towards the stream. A drink sounded good right now. Once again, you carefully tiptoed over and around sleeping dogs and boys in your path. Away from them, you went on. 
    Before you even got to the stream, the light splash of water and heavy breathing sounded from ahead. From the back, you could tell he was crouched down. 
    His brown hair was messy and wild, compared to its normally slicked back style. He jumped a little when you called out to him, but recomposed himself immediately. 
 
"Kris!" You smiled, walking over to him. 
    Said boy nodded to you in acknowledgement, and went back to washing his face. You sat down beside him, your arms draped over your legs. Looking out to the shimmering waters, you became entranced by their clear color and soft rush. Only until you felt a hand on your shoulder, did you realize your dress strap had sagged. 
"Don't look so vulnerable in front of other men besides me. . . ," he commanded, then coughed, "Or Exo,"
    You looked up in surprise to see his retreating figure heading back to the den. Unconsciously you grinned, before running up to join him. 
 
    It was late morning, and everyone was finally up from their deep slumber. The sun had emerged, and with its warmth came good spirits. 
    Although Dalmatian had to leave, there was still much gratefulness from being able to see each other that was in the air. As Exo crowded around the five friends to say goodbye, you lingered behind, not quite sure what to say. 
    Inati worked his way from the mass of boys, coming over to you.  You began,
"I'm really sorry for causing you so much trou-"
    He cut you off with a kind hug instead, smiling,
"Don't worry about it,  ~~~. That's why we're here, to look out for our friends."
    His words touched you, as you couldn't help but nod. He whispered then, "But try not to cause too much  for Exo while we're gone," You blushed embarrassed, while he just winked. Inati let go to rejoin his pack, as they all give you their respective goodbyes. The boys cheered and fare welled each other, before Inati threw back his head and howled. Everyone of the boys accompanied him, their sound blended as one. Their cry was deep and powerful resonating throughout the forest, sending birds from their perches among the oak. It died down soon enough, and just like that, Dalmatian turned their backs to you, morphing, then racing off and away.
 
    You watched until they disappeared into the distance, then shifted facing Kris asking,
"Are your goodbyes always this elaborate?"
    Suho chuckled, then answered for him,
"Not usually, only when it's been awhile or will be a long time until we meet again."
"You haven't seen each other in a long time? It's seems like you just hung out together the other day from your closeness," You wondered aloud. 
    To this, he just laughed again, saying,
"It's been two years since we've seen them. A lot has changed since then. Some things we hear from gossip around the forest, some we just know without thinking."
    You didn't understand the last part to his words, but questioned further,
"You're like brothers, but why don't you visit each other more often?"
"It's not in a canine's nature to cross paths with their brothers so much as if they coexisted. " Kris explained.
"Oh," You looked down, sad to have to wait to see your new friends again. Suho hummed mysteriously,
"Who knows? We're under unusual circumstances now, and with these conditions can change."
   You perked up a little, and all the others seemed relieved. Even Kris sighed,
"Yeah, yeah, just don't get your hopes up.  Let's get back to work everyone. I want to see all of you doing something productive in thirty seconds—now!"
    The boys rushed off, afraid of whatever consequences might come from insubordination, while you just stayed with Kris and Suho. Watching all the boys rush around, your chest felt light, and for the first time in years, you felt like you belonged. 
 
—————————————————————————————————
 
So sorry for the wait, guys! I hope you enjoyed this chapter, and can expect better in the future. (I've got an ear infection right now, so that's why I have time to write and post now. )Thanks so much for the subs, views, votes, and support!!
 
~Toasty