Pride

Lil' Red and the 12 Bad Wolves

 

 Once out of sight from the village, that didn't stop you from sprinting all the way home. You were too terrified to pay attention as to what was in front of you, so you completely missed out on the fact that there was a large dog sprawled out asleep before you. Tripping seemed like the only thing you could succeed at today, so like the first time, you promptly fell face first into the ground. Instead of ground, however you ended up colliding with a thick wall of fur. Catching both you and your furry friend off guard, the two of you tumbled down a small hill-which you also apparently missed. A voice shouted,
"What the hell?!"
    You dismissed the what you heard as nothing but the wind blowing. There was yelping and the sounds of bodies rolling along the dirt. Did you say "small" hill? Well you meant "huge", because the two of you rolled for a good number of minutes before a final throw back down onto flat ground. The dog, which you now recognized as a wolf, landed a couple meters in ahead of you. As you both got up, it suddenly turned around growling,
"Hey, what the hell were you thinking!?"
"I'm sorry, it was an accident!" You apologized without thinking.
 
    You froze and so did it, but both for entirely different reasons.
       'Wolvesdon'ttalkDon'tfreakoutWolvesdon'ttalkDon'tfreakoitWolvesdon'ttalkDon'tfreakoutWovesdon'ttalkDon'tfreakouWolvesdon'ttalkDon'tfreakout' You failed, screaming a little bit. . .or maybe a lot. The charcoal grey wolf advanced on you with curious blue eyes. 
 
    D.O. paused, surprised to be able to see so spontaneously after so long. You'd grown from cute. . .to pretty. And even more, you understood him! No humans could apprehend what he and his kind were saying when they were in their animal forms, but they themselves. It was interesting, since you didn't seem to understand Exo when you were a little girl. . .
"Shut up!" He hissed trying to shush you, not wanting to draw attention to him or yourself. 'Crap' he thought watching you cower in fear from his sharp tone. "H-hey! I'm sorry, uh. . ." He paused, he shouldn't be here with you. Although technically it was called your fault, since you were the one who ran into him. 'No, stop blaming her, D.O.! Damn my pride.' He sighed gentling his voice, "Look, just get home quickly and quietly, it's dangerous to just wander noisily around in an area like this,"
    
    This was possibly one of the weirdest conversations you'd ever had, and with the most unusual company too. The wolf's voice was masculine, so you just assumed it was a male. He seemed to be telling you these things with good intentions, but you had lived on this land since birth and never thought of it as "dangerous". You smiled at his kindness, saying,
"Thanks Mr. Wolf, but I can take care of myself-huh?"
    You glanced around, but he was gone. He must've left while you were talking. Frowning you muttered, "That was rude,"
 
    D.O. raced away from you, not wanting to have anymore to do with you. He knew if he'd stuck around any longer, he really wouldn't be able to leave you alone. And then what would he do? 'Lead her back to the den, and say "Hey guys, guess who!" to the rest of Exo?' He'd be mauled to death by the alphas, and Kai and the other pups would probably piss on his grave. D.O. shuddered, there was no way either would be pleasant . Padding along the leaf-covered ground, he bumped into someone. 'Speak of the devil, or one of them at least' he thought, passing by a very upset Kai. D.O. rolled his eyes 'Probably got upset at Suho or something. Geeze, pups these days are so angsty'. He continued walking before realizing which direction Kai was going. Shrugging, he knew as long as he didn't see, touch, hear, speak, or think of you, he wouldn't have to worry constantly about your well-being. 
  
    You decided to carry on, even after your company left. With heavy steps, you headed home weary of every part of your day so far. 'I woke up to a wolf, almost hurt a classmate, no doubt got expelled from school, threatened by the village people, fell down a hill with another wolf, talked with this wolf, and-'
 A hard shove to your side brought you back to reality. You bowed and immediately said sorry. A new wolf, charcoal grey, stared at you with blackish brown eyes. The anger in  them instantly turned into confusion.
 
    Kai's foul mood instantly disappeared once he looked up to see you. Sure, he'd been angry with Suho for appointing Luhan alpha while the current alphas were out. And, he might've accidentally taken some of that anger out on Luhan himself, but it was spur of the moment, and he didn't mean to blow up at him. Even if it would hurt his pride further to do so, he'd apologize to his brother later. He heard your sweet voice apologize,  and his own was suddenly hoarse. But then, he remembered he shouldn't be talking to you. 'Only a fool would actually speak in front of a human' he scoffed. You waved your hand in front of his face, leaving him astonished you had the guts to do that to an almost grown wolf. 
"Hey, I said I was sorry!" You said, again. He looked at you weirdly as if trying to figuring out why you even bothered, 'unless. . .D.O.!' He growled at the thought of his brother interacting with you. 
 
    You frowned after he didn't say anything, 'Maybe it's one that doesn't talk,' Its deep growl, surprised you a little. Hesitantly you stepped back in response, not wanting to irritate it further. Then it did something unexpected. It came closer nuzzling your hand that you still held out. You didn't withdraw your hand, instead cautiously petted the dogs head. It seemed to like this, wagging its tail in ecstasy. 
 
    Kai was being a damned hypocrite, but he didn't care. He hadn't been pet like this since you were tiny, and it felt great. Knowing he couldn't stay with you for long, he reluctantly pulled away. Sighing Kai turned to leave, when he heard you call back to him,
"Your leaving already?"
        The wolf softened when he heard he sadness reflected in your voice. He knew you lived alone, isolated from the rest of human society, ever since your parents died. But he also knew if Suho or Kris caught him near you, he'd be punished and there would surely be consequences for you. To answer your question, he just nodded before trotting off, resisting the temptation to give you a second glance. 
 
    You returned back home at noon, the sun high in the air. Hanging your hood back on the rack, you treaded quietly into the kitchen to pour yourself some more water. Sitting down on a small wooden chair to think, you realized you left your books in the village! 'Oh well, there's no way I can go back now' you sighed, shoulders deflated. 'What am I going to do about the threats?' Really, all you could do was lock your front door. To play it even more safe, you decided to sleep on the couch next your backdoor later tonight. 
 
    The light grey wolf pawed at the ruble while waiting for his friend. He had been alerted a couple of minutes ago by his brother to talk over something important. Sensing the urgency in the call, he came immediately to meet him half way.  From the brush, emerged his black furred counterpart an anxious look on his face.
"Chen,"
"Lay,"
    They greeted each other, the grey first, then the black wolf. Lay waited patiently for the other to speak.
    "Lay, I need your help." The seriousness in his brother's voice worried him a little, but he let him continue. "~~~ is in danger. The villagers plan to harm her. I don't know how or when, but that's where you come in. You're the swiftest among the twelve of us, so you'd be able to get away with spying on the them without being caught. I need you to find out when, where, and how the humans plan on hurting her, so we can report to the rest of Exo for help,"
    Lay stood still shocked, trying to process all of the information he had gotten and  what he'd have to collect. Getting over the overwhelming queasiness he felt, he nodded and accepted the request. He didn't bother his brother further, and ran off in the direction Chen had come. For the sake of ~~~, he had to find out the information before it was too late.
 
—————————————————————
 
I'm sorry for not posting the last couple days!! I had some unplanned things happen, and I wasn't able to get to a computer-_-;; So, I'll start to update daily again. Thanks for waiting patiently, and my other story, for those who are reading, will be updated later today. Your views and comments mean a ton, thanks again!!
 
-Toasty