Chapter 2

Arranged Marriage with Who? { OFFICIALLY ON HIATUS }

Sunyoung’s hands were wrapped around the cup in front of her, keeping them warm as she waited patiently. It’s no big deal, She thought He probably just wants to why it was given to me. Sighing, she realise how pathetic that sounds. The bell on the door jingles and Sunyoung look up, seeing Tao enter. A waitress comes over as Tao sat down across from her. He waited until the waitress had left before he leaned part way across the table.

“I’ll try to be quick.” He said, then took off his necklace and gestured for her to do the same, and she quickly followed suit. He gently took it and set them side by side, noticing that they were exact replicas.

“I spoke to my mother. She told I am supposed to give this to you.” He placed a small box on the table. Sunyoung hesitantly opened it, staring at the engagement ring on a chain in the box. “Sun-Young I know it’s a lot to take in. It’s a lot for me too. But I think it’s all too clear what this means.” Tao’s eyes searched her face for any reaction. Finally, Sunyoung nodded

“It’s just kinda hard for me to wrap my head around it.” Answering him, she stood up. “I have to go now.” With shaky hands she attempted to put on the necklace herself, hands fumbling with the clasp. Tao silently stood up and took it from her, his fingers warm from holding the coffee cup as they brushed along the back of her neck. She felt his breath breeze softly over her skin, a small shudder running up her spine and her pulse quickening. His hands lingered behind her neck for longer than they should, before he stepped away.

“How are you getting home?” He asked curiously, helping her on with her jacket without her having to ask.

“I’ll probably catch the bus. That’s what I did to get here.” Sunyoung replied and he shook his head.

 “I’ll drive you home. No buts.” He reached out his hand and grasps hers with his warm hands, leading her out to his car, opening the door for the female. She slipped into the front seat and plugged in her seatbelt as he made his way around to the driver’s side. The trip was quiet with no noise except the radio. Well that’s was until a song, and judging by his reaction, began to play. He smiled devilishly and started to singing along, making Sunyoung smile and laugh. A few moments later and they were parked in front of her house, Tao turning to the female beside him.

“You have a beautiful laugh” She blushed ever-so-slightly as he chuckled and got out, opening the door for her. She stepped out and they both stood there awkwardly for a few moments.

“Do you . . . uh . . . want to come in for some tea?” She asked then realised how lame and cliché it sounded. Tao smiled, grateful that she broke the silence first.

“Sure. I could really use some after all that singing.” He replied with a laugh and she smiled, turning and leading him inside. He followed her into the kitchen and leaned against the counter next to her as the kettle boiled. Sunyoung made the teas and took a few biscuits, heading into the dining room where they sat and drank their tea with idle chit-chat.

His smile was mesmerising, she noticed as she stared at him for a little longer than she usually would. Tao’s smile transformed into a smirk.

“Am I really that pretty?” He asks and she smiled sheepishly and blushed, embarrassed that he caught her staring. His face turned serious as he leaned over, tucking loose strands of her hair behind out of her face. “I still think you’re prettier though” He whispered softly, even though there is no one else here to hear what he had said. Tao leaned back and glanced at his phone, finding twelve missed calls, one from each member and one from his manager, along with at least 14 messages from them. He stood up and she followed him to the door.

“I have to go now, everyone’s wanting to know where I went.” She looked at him curiously.

“You didn’t tell them that you were coming to see me?” He shook his head.

“They don’t know about the necklaces.” Sunyoung nodded her head knowingly. If she was to tell Miyoung about them, Miyoung would just laugh at and say she needed more sleep. “Until next time, Sunyoung” He said as he took one of her hands, kissing the back of it gently before leaning down kissing her cheek. After he made a swift exit, she was left standing there surprised. She reached up and touched her cheek briefly.

“Until then, Tao.” She whispered and walked back to the dining room, picking up the dirty cups and washing them, even though her mind was elsewhere.

Later that night, she headed into her room and worked silently on her homework, so distracted that she probably got half of it incorrect. Finishing up, her phone buzzes and she answered the call.

“Hey” A voice drifted over from the other line and her heart skipped a beat. “I know this sounds really lame and I just saw you a few hours ago but I really want to hear your voice.” Tao said and she smiled.

“Don’t worry I think it’s kinda sweet.” She replied, playing with her hair.

“I just told the others that I had gone for a drive and gotten lost.” He stated as she heard a voice in the background.

“Zitao come get something to eat! I’m not going to make anything else for you later so you either eat now or don’t eat until tomorrow morning!” An unknown voice yelled in the background, making her stifle a laugh.

“I’ll be there soon!” She heard Tao yell back.

“It’s okay if you don’t get there in time you can always come over and I’ll make you something.” She said to him and she could hear the smile in his voice as he replied.

“I might take you up on that offer one day.” They both laughed then said their goodbyes, hanging up. A call quickly came through to her phone and she pressed the answer button, holding it an arm’s length from her ear.

“PARK SUNYOUNG WHO WERE YOU TALKING TO THAT MADE YOU TAKE SO LONG TO ANSWER MY CALL? DO YOU HAVE A SECRET BOYFRIEND I DON’T KNOW ABOUT?” The voice yelled and she winced. Yes Miyoung, I do have a secret boyfriend. For some reason she felt happy about it. “Sorry Mi-Mi I was talking to a cousin overseas.” She said, calling Miyoung by her nickname to soften her temper. That was partly true. Sunyoung did have a cousin studying abroad in Australia, but it wasn’t him that she was talking to.

“Oh, okay.” She replied happily. “Anyway, I have tickets to the EXO concert and daddy managed to score us backstage passes! Isn’t that exciting?” She squealed, not really expecting an answer.

“And you need me to go? Fine, I’ll go, only because your parents won’t let you go without me.” That wasn’t the only reason. She really wanted to see Tao.

“Great can’t wait! See you tomorrow at school!” She said, immediately hanging up.

“Yeah, see you tomorrow.” Sunyoung replied to the dial tone and put her phone down, getting changed and slipping underneath the covers on the bed. She fell asleep, the necklace on her neck feeling no different from the locket.