Chapter 3

Arranged Marriage with Who? { OFFICIALLY ON HIATUS }

A week had passed since her meeting with Tao and she haven’t heard a word from him. She continuously told herself that it’s just because he’s was probably getting ready for the concert and hasn’t had time. It still didn’t stop her from feeling like she somehow scared him off. Tonight was the concert however, and she was getting ready. Normally she wouldn’t have taken this long getting ready but this wasn’t a normal situation. This was an ‘I actually have someone I wanted to see and impress’ kind of situation. Since Miyoung’s father was taking them both to the concert, she decided to wear a light flowy dress. As she gazed into the mirror a horn honks and she rushed downstairs, locking the door behind her and getting into the car that was waiting.

“Why are you so dressed up?” Miyoung asks curiously, puzzled that she put in effort.

“I didn’t want to make you look bad.” She smiled and hugged Sunyoung, gushing about how she was such a good friend. Sunyoung felt bad lying to her, but she didn’t want her to know the real reason just yet. Her father dropped them both off at the concert and waved good bye as Miyoung excitedly pulled her friend inside and found them both a good spot right in front of the stage. Soon the concert started and EXO comes on stage, the fans screaming loudly and wildly. All Sunyoung did was simply smile as she saw Tao come out onto the stage. After a small intro, they get straight into the concert. Halfway through MAMA Tao looked down to see her next to a hyper-active Miyoung, looking surprised. She smiled up at him and he smiled in response, continuing with the performance.

After the concert the two girls headed backstage to meet the boys themselves. She followed Miyoung, suddenly shy about seeing Tao again. A worker led them over to the boys and they immediately started to converse with Miyoung, Sunyoung hanging around in the background. She at fiddling with them hem of her dress before one of the males finally decided to approach her.

“You were the one with Miyoung at the fan meet right? You look different. More like a girl. In fact, you look kinda cute.” He remarks and she blushed slightly, glancing over at Tao and noticing his fists clenched by his sides with a jealous look on his face.

“Ah - excuse me; I need to quickly call someone.” She said and the member nodded. Sunyoung headed to a more secluded place and waited for a few seconds. She heard footsteps behind her, suddenly being embraced by a pair of strong arms.

“I missed you.” Tao whispered softly, breathing in her scent as she turned around to embrace him back.

“I missed you too.” She replied and let go.

“I was surprised to see you here.” He said and she grinned cheekily in return.

“Miyoung had tickets and I came along otherwise her parents wouldn’t have allowed her to go. Plus, I missed you.” She shyly whispered the last part and he laughed, cradling her face with both his hands.

“I was so jealous when hyung called you cute. I just wanted to tell him to back off then and there.” He said and she laughed.

“I noticed.” She smiled, before panicking as she heard her name being called, turning to desperately whisper to the elder. “When will I see you again?”

“I’ll drop by soon.” He replied, understanding the urgency. He leaned down and pulled her in for a quick, loving kiss before they split and went separate ways. By the time Sunyoung got back to the group, Tao had already returned.

“Sorry I got lost.” She stated with a sheepish laugh, hoping she would buy it. Miyoung laughed along, accepting the excuse.

“We have to go but it was nice seeing you again!” She said and they all shouted their goodbyes.

Back in the car Miyoung would not stop talking about how sweet and funny and cool EXO was. But Sunyoung wasn’t listening; all she could think about was Tao. Saying goodbye and thanks she got out the car and walking into her house, exhausted as she changed into her pyjamas and slipped into bed.

The next morning she was awoken by the sound of her ringtone.

“Hello?” She mumbled sleepily as Miyoung’s voice exploded from the other line.

“YOU’RE ON THE FIRST PAGE OF THE ENTERTAINMENT SECTION!” She screamed shrilly. Wincing, she went out the house and looked at the entertainment section. Sure enough, there was a picture of Sunyoung and Tao, lip locked on the front page. She stared at it shocked. “Why didn’t you tell me about this? Man this is exciting!” Miyoung squealed and all she could do is gape at it.

“Listen Miyoung I have to go.” She said as Miyoung started to ask for more details, hanging up and calling Tao immediately.

“Hey sweetie.” He answered, knowing it was her due to caller ID.

“Tao we have a problem. Look at the front page of the entertainment section.” Sunyoung said, pacing up and down the kitchen as she chewed her thumb. There was a few rustling noises in the background before Tao’s voice came back.

“How did they get this?” He asks, astounded and she sighed frustratedly.

“I don’t know!” She replied, running a hand through your hair.

“Tao what’s that? Who are you kissing?” A voice could be heard in the background on Tao’s line. “Tao, who is this? What have you been hiding from us?” She bit her lip as she panicked, waiting to hear Tao’s answer.

“I’ll see you when I can.” Was all he said and was about to hang up when there were some noises and a different voice came over the line.

“Hello?” A smooth voice spoke softly. She wasn’t sure whether she should answer or not.

“H-Hi.” She answered as the voice disappeared.

“Hold on I’m putting it on loudspeaker.” The voice replied, Sunyoung waiting tensed.

“Sunyoung hold on. I’m coming round to pick you up and bring you back to the dorm. Only rational way we can explain this.” Tao said as another voice pipes up.

“Yeah and hurry. I wanna know why.” This caused Sunyoung to shakily laugh, hanging up. She quickly got changed out of her pyjamas and into respectable clothes. A car pulled up and she hurridly left the house and into the car. Tao sat in the driver’s seat, looking anxious and tense. He looked over at her and sensed that she was scared.

“Don’t worry, they won’t eat you alive.” He said and reassuringly placed his hand on her knee. She nodded and calmed at his touch. “You like nice by the way.” She smiled.

“Thanks so do you. But I guess that’s the job of an idol, to look good twenty four-seven.” He laughed and they pulled up outside the dorm, making her nervous again. Clutching his hand as he led her up into the dorm and through the front door. Eleven sets of eyes pierced through her skin and would’t stop staring.

“Guys! Quit staring, you’re making her scared.” Tao snapped, clearly annoyed. They comply and stopped staring. One that Sunyoung vaguely remembered by the name of Kyungsoo walked up with a friendly smile.

“Can I get you anything? Tea, coffee, water?” He asked, making her feel less nervous and more welcome.

“Just some tea thank you.” She answered quietly and he smiled at her shyness.

“Don’t worry, we don’t bite. Well, I don’t think Tao does but that’s up to you to find out.” He winked and walked off into the kitchen, leaving Sunyoung blushing and Tao embarrassed.

“Yah! Why did you say that?” He said, following Kyungsoo and leaving her standing in a room full of guys that stared once Tao left. She looked down at her shoes to avoid their gaze.

“Hey why don’t you come and sit down.” Kris stood up and offered her his seat. She thanked him and sat down, Luhan and Lay either side of her.

Kyungsoo and Tao soon came through with the tea and placed it on the table in front of her. She smiled in thanks, sipping on her tea. Tao basically pushed Luhan out of his seat, wrapping an arm protectively around Sunyoung’s waist.

“So what is this all about?” Suho asked and she set down her tea.

“I’ll explain.” She said, turning to Tao as he nodded for her to continue. “When we were younger our mothers gave us these little necklaces with a locket each. We were told that when we were older we will meet the person with the other half and then we would get married. It’s a form of arranged marriage.” She explained and realisation set in on all of the faces all around her.

“Was that the necklace you wore day and night Tao?” Suho asked and he nodded.

“Sun-Young has the other half of the locket.” He replied.

“So you two are to be married.” Kyungsoo says and turned to Kris. “This is hard for you to hear isn’t it? Your Tao is getting married to another person.” Everyone cracked up laughing and Kris threw a pillow at Kyungsoo. “Can I see the ring?” Kyungsoo asked and she took off the necklace, handing it to him. “Wow it is pretty.” He passed it around the group. The main phone rung and Baekhyun gets it, being the closest.

“Tao, its manager hyung. He wants to speak to you.” Tao nervously got up and Baekhyun handed him the phone, taking Tao’s spot. She watched Tao talk to EXO’s manager and he soon hung up and turned to her.

“Telling these idiots was the easy part. Now we have to explain to the manager and the entertainment company. Apparently this is causing a big scandal.” He replied and she nodded.

“Alright.” She replied, her voice cracking ever so slightly.

“In the meantime stay here and talk to us. We want to hear all about you.” Lay said and all eyes turn to her.

“There isn’t much to talk about.” She replied but they urge her to start talking.