Chapter 9

One Story, Three Endings

 

There’s nothing bad in having fun afterschool. I could take a break from studying hard these past few days right?

I replied YES, I’LL GO to Hikaru’s note and NO to Suoh’s note. I passed it to them. A broad smile spread across Hikaru’s face then he nodded and signed back thanks. I looked at Suoh. He looked like he was about to hang himself. Sorry for being a bit rude, but I laughed a little at that Tamaki Suoh’s reaction to the letter. I ignored him and paid attention to the rest of the class.

Class ended peacefully and everyone packed their bags, ready to go home or have some fun. I looked at Hikaru’s table. He’s not here?

I better look for him, I told myself. I headed outside the classroom when suddenly-

“BOO!!! FU-JI-O-KA!!!”

Someone jumped on me from behind. I turned my head a little to see who it was. “Hi…ka…ru…”

Hikaru winked and smiled in a cute way. “Haha…gomen…! I was just excited. Thought I might surprise you.” He stood up and pulled my hand. “Let’s go!!!” Then he started to run. He ran so fast it’s like I was just being dragged behind. I could feel my feet being lifted off the ground.

“Chotto matte Hikaru…!” I yelled. He couldn’t hear me. He was shouting Let’s go! Let’s go! all the way through the school gates. What the…

The next thing I knew, we were doing some karaoke. It was fun, gotta admit. Then after that we went to a mall and did a little bit of shopping. We even bought crepes. We stood outside the mall, drinking our sodas. …

“Did you have fun?” Hikaru said, after that drinking a bit from his can of coca-cola. I nodded. “You know Hikaru, it was like we were on a date back there.”

He almost choked. He coughed a few times and covered his mouth. “Are you ok? Haha.” I looked at him, feeling a sense of pity and humor at the same time.

He looked at me, his face starting to color. “What the heck did you…” he coughed a few more times. “-say that for?!” I laughed a little bit. “Hahaha…! G-Gomen Hikaru…! Hahaha…!” My tummy started to hurt from laughing.

He coughed again. “It hurts you know…!” He coughed a couple more times then looked up at the sky, his cheeks appearing red under the street lights.

“Gomen Hikaru.” I smiled at him. “But you know it really does feel like we were on a date.” “There you go again.” He looked at me with a depressing face.

I gave a long sigh. “I bet if I girl would go out with you, she’d really have a whole lot of fun like I did.” “You’re exaggerating.” “I’m not.”

Hikaru smiled tenderly. “Arigato Fujioka.” I looked at him. “Fujioka? Why are you still calling me that? Aren’t I calling you Hikaru?” He suddenly looked confused. “Is there something wrong with that?”

“Haruhi’s fine you know.” I said sternly. “H-Haruhi…” He looked embarrassed, mentioning my name. “We’re best friends anyway.” I told him. He nodded. “Ah…of course.”

“Oh…? What’s this! Hitachiin H. has a girlfriend?! He didn’t tell us about it boys!”

 We both turned around. A group of boys were surrounding us. A tall guy approached us.

It’s…the student who kicked Hikaru…!

“Care to introduce her to me Hika-chan…?” Hikaru looked furious. “Urusai!

The guy held my left arm. “A-Ah…!” I gave out a yelp. “Stay back!” Hikaru pushed the guy away. “H-Hikaru…!” I hid behind him.

“Taking the hard way…LET’S GET HIM BOYS!!!

Hikaru smiled at me. “I’ll protect you Haruhi.”