Chapter 11

One Story, Three Endings

 

What Koaru said about Hikaru kept repeating in my head. I couldn’t concentrate in class. I couldn’t eat in peace. The memory of Hikaru being hit on the head by a steel pipe…

I shouldn’t have gone out yesterday with him to have fun. I should have just studied. I should have just refused to his offer. I should have just…

I regretted what happened that day for a week. The rumors slowly died. Then one day, Koaru visited me at my house.

“Konnichiwa Haruhi-san.” “Ah, good afternoon to you to Koaru. Please come inside.” Koaru refused. “No thank you. I just wanted to ask you if you want to come with me to the hospital to visit my brother.” I didn’t hesitate one bit. I eagerly said yes and went to the hospital with Koaru.

“Where is he?” “He’s in the third floor.” We used the elevator and talked with each other all the way.

Finally, we were in front of his room. “Let’s go in.” Koaru told me. “Um, ok.” I opened the door.

Hikaru was inside. He was wide awake.

“Hikaru!” Koaru said with slight sadness in his voice and rushed to sit beside him. “K-Koaru…” He smiled. I sat beside Koaru. “How are you?”

Hikaru narrowed his eyes. “…There’s someone I can’t remember. I can’t remember her face. But I remember her name.”

Hikaru’s POV:

I woke up just in time to see two people come in. I squinted my eyes a bit, but I recognized the boy immediately because we’re obviously twins. “Hikaru…!” My brother, Koaru cried and sat beside me. I tried to speak as normally as I can. “K-Koaru…” My head was slightly aching.

Then, I noticed this person who Koaru came in with, a girl with short hair and a pretty face.

“How are you?” She asked, sitting beside my brother. I narrowed my eyes a bit. “…There’s someone I can’t remember. I can’t remember her face. But I remember her name.”

“Hikaru…” The girl said, looking worried.

“Um, may I ask…?”

The both of them looked pretty attentive. I looked at her. “Thank you for visiting me, but…have we met before? In school maybe?”

The atmosphere suddenly turned cold. Koaru looked at the floor. Wait, I feel like I’m forgetting something important…

Suddenly, the girl burst into tears. Is she someone I was supposed to remember?

The girl stood up and ran out of the room. “H-Haruhi…!” Koaru called out to her. I looked at him in confusion. “S-She’s…Haruhi…?”

Koaru looked at me. “Yes Hikaru! She’s the girl you said you wanted to date someday!!!”