The Trip

Beyond the Clouds
Today was the day everybody was talking about. Everyone at the police station was so pumped up about it, especially Shirley. Shirley and Benny arrived at the shore first, where the cruise awaited. Shortly after, Jack arrives with news that the rest of the crew at the station couldn’t come because of family issues, or personal issues. Shirley was infuriated as she heard this.

“Great! Just great! Nobody is going to come.” She whined to Benny.

“Don’t worry, my friends will come!” Benny assured. Shirley frowned as he said this. They waited for five minutes.

Finally, Roger and Melissa arrived with their belongings and a basket of home-made fruit salad, lasagna, and rice.

“Thank god you two are here! I was bored out of my mind being around these two lovebirds!” Jack joked.

“Thank you Roger and Melissa for bringing food unlike some people!” Shirley shot back.

They all chuckled, except for Jack, who acted as if he had not heard her comeback.

Right behind them Bobby, Christine, and Bosco arrive together. They too brought something to share with the others.

“Hey Roger!” Bobby walks over to his best buddy and gives him a bear hug and a smack on the back. He greets the others and congratulates both Benny and Shirley.

“Thank you Dr. A Yeung!” They both responded.

“This is my wife Christine, and my son – Bosco!” Bobby introduced.

Benny and Bosco stared at one another. They were both surprised to see one another and knew that sooner or later Ron will show up and things will be awkward.

“We brought wine.” Bosco stated dully.

“Thanks.” Benny responded in the same tone.

Just then, Sammul and Ron appeared, running towards them. They slowed down to the group, breathing heavily.

“Sorry we’re late.” Sammul panted. “I was waiting for someone.” He rolled his eyes towards Ron.

“No problem! We are still waiting for – “ Shirley started.

“What are you doing here?!” Ron interrupts as he notices Bosco.

Everyone stops talking and looks at the two, who were glaring at one another.

“Bosco is Dr. Au Yeung’s son.” Benny explains, giving Ron a look to indicate that he better control his behavior.

“Who else are we waiting for?” Bosco asked annoyed, breaking his glare from Ron.

“Hey! Sorry we’re late!” A male voice called out. Everyone’s head turns as they see Raymond, Tavia, and Selena making their way up to them.

Ron and Bosco’s eyes shot up and they both shouted, “Tavia?” in unison. She gasped as she saw the both of them. She quickly shifted her eyes away, avoiding their gaze. She was even more shocked to see that she knew almost everyone there. Slowing down her pace, she hid behind Raymond. Bobby and Christine exchanged smiles as they saw Tavia.

Benny and Sammul frowned, thinking this trip was going to be a disaster with her and Bosco here. Sammul glanced at the girl standing beside Tavia and realized he recognized her from somewhere.

After Selena was surprised to see Ron again after so many years of his disappearance from university, she noticed Sammul, and remembered her encounter with him.

Ron and Sammul shifted their eyes over to Raymond, thinking that he looked very familiar, that they had met him somewhere before.

“Raymond! Whoa do you have a new girlfriend or two new girlfriends?” Shirley joked.

Raymond chuckled, and as he looked around he saw two angry faces waiting for his response. “They are my friends.” He quickly stated.

He then whispered into Tavia’s ear, “Why aren’t you quite popular. So which one is the boyfriend?” He asked.

“The one that looks like he wants to beat you up right now.” She whispered back.

“Really?” He said out loud. If looks could kill, he would be dead already, he thought.

Soon everyone hopped on board and was chattering away as the captain of the cruise starts the ship and they begin to move.

As soon as the boat started, everyone walked up to the top of the boat, admiring the shoreline view. Tavia walked up to the front of the ship, resting her arms on the railings as she faced out to the sea. The wind was strong, blowing her hair back. She smiled and breathed in the ocean air. Raymond joins her by her side.

“Sorry. I had no idea who was going.” Raymond said, softly.

“That’s fine. Just stay by my side.” Tavia answered.

“You sure about that? Those two are giving me daggered eyes.” He joked.

Tavia sighed, unwilling to turn around. “I just wanted a vacation.”

“Me too.” Raymond replied, glancing out at the ocean.

Bobby and Christine approached Bosco as he was staring at Raymond and Tavia while sitting in a corner.

“Bosco…If you really like her, I suggest you go up there and spend some time with her!” Christine urges.

“I don’t know mom. I don’t think she likes me.” He drained his glass wine.

“Bosco! Whatever happened to your confidence?” Bobby wondered.

“I’ve never been in love…not until now…” Bosco mumbled.

Glancing around as everyone was enjoying themselves; Selena decided she wanted some privacy. She wasn’t in the mood to have fun, and so she walked down to the first floor of the ship. As she went inside, she noticed Sammul seated beside a large table, staring out the window.

“Why aren’t you staying up there?” He asked, without looking up.

“I want some time alone.” She replied, seating herself down the seat opposite of Sammul, facing the window on the other side.

After a long moment of silence, Selena walked up to Sammul and he looked up. “Here.” Selena said, placing a bunch of bills on the table close to Sammul.

“What’s this?” He asked, bemused.

“For your phone.” Selena replied, before walking out.

Ron was chugging glasses of wine after wine. He observed his surroundings. Shirley and Benny were happily chatting amongst one another and acting all lovey dovey.

Roger and Melissa were busily feeding one another, and Bobby and Christine sat in front of them, chatting loudly, laughing and cracking jokes here and there.

Ron walked over to Bosco and sat beside him.

“What do you want?” Bosco asked in a harsh tone.

“Who the hell is that Raymond guy?” Ron asked him.

“He’s a police officer.” Bosco responded. “Apparently Tavia is good friends with him. They met before…don’t you know?”

Ron didn’t respond. He did not know of this, and Tavia had not mention him before either.

After a while Tavia shivered, feeling cold from the blast of wind. She noticed Selena was not around, and decided to go down and look for her. As soon as Tavia left to find Selena, both Ron and Bosco approached Raymond.

“Hey.” Bosco said, giving Raymond a weak smile.

Ron got straight to the point. “Do you like Tavia?” He asked.

Raymond turned to face Ron, surprised. “We’re just friends.” He repeated. “I’m in love with someone else…” He murmured.

“But she broke up with you…” Ron finished off.

Raymond looked up, surprised. “How did you know?”

“That one night you were at the bar drinking, you said a lot of nonsense.” Ron smirked.

Raymond chuckled.

“Hey you know…maybe we could be friends – since you’re not after the love of my life.” Ron joked.

Raymond nodded, smiling.

“I guess we can’t be friends, since I’m not going to give up.” Bosco challenged, facing Ron.

“Good luck with that.” Ron smirked, walking away.


- - -

04/08/10