Chapter 28

Beyond the Clouds

Ron heaved a big sigh.

“I was an orphan since I was three years old. My parents left me, and sent me to the orphanage. They didn’t want me, I was a mistake. When I was eight years old, I got adopted by an elderly couple and I really thought that there was hope – that somebody will finally love me. I moved around your area, and went to the same elementary school with you. Soon, we met and we instantly became best friends.” 

Ron chuckled, as he reminisced the times that they’ve shared when they were younger.

“All was great, my adopted parents cared for me, and I had you…And then when I turn eleven, I had to move to Canada. My adopted mother who was then over seventy years of age was very ill, and she had to do surgery in Canada. I was completely devastated, because I knew she didn’t have much time left, and neither would my father, who was just a couple of years older. And then, I had to leave you…Which was the hardest part of moving to Canada.”

Tavia listened attentively as she watched Ron from the side. She felt hot tears streaming down her face.

“After a couple of months in Canada, my adopted mother had her surgery, but it had failed. She passed away. My adopted father was so upset; he would go out and drink all the time. He would come home each night and yell at me, beat me…I was infuriated, so I ran away. I lived on the streets for a good week or so, and when I finally calmed down I returned home…to find out that he had passed away, and the flat was empty and was being renovated to be sold.”

Ron could feel tears streaming down his face.

“I honestly thought that I would starve on the streets. Nobody bothered to question me where my parents were, everybody just walked by and ignored me. And then one day, my big brother came along. He saw me lying on the streets, half dead, and he picked me up, and carried me to his home. He was eighteen at the time, so he lived in an abandoned wreck-down building with four other guys, which were around my age to his age. He took care of me, fed me, and treated me like his very own blooded brother. He then asked me to join him and his crew in some sort of business that they had recently started on. I accepted right away, I didn’t want to be abandoned anymore, I wanted to belong…”

Ron’s voice cracked, he lips formed a grim smile.

“I was so young at the time, I didn’t know that the business I was involved in was illegal and even killed a lot of people. I became rebellious, heartless…I followed whatever orders he gave me. I became his puppet, we all were. We were a dangerous gang, our business was to lend money to people, and if they passed the deadline, we add interest, and we threaten them, until the repay us the doubled amount. The things we did, it was horrifying. There was that one time; we went as far as to burn down the guy’s apartment…We were almost convicted of murder. All of us got caught, that was the first time we were exposed to the society, and we were arrested for a couple of days before we were bailed out.”

Tavia searched his eyes, unable to believe what he had just told her.

“On the year that I turned eighteen, I bumped into you. I swear it was fate. I thought you wouldn’t have remembered me, but you did. You witnessed my gang torturing a poor guy in the alleyway, and you stepped out and spoke on his behalf. When I saw you again, I was so afraid, so afraid he would’ve hurt you right then. But he just threatened you to not say a word to the police and left. Even though you knew what kind of person I’ve become, you never gave up in trying to persuade me to stop what I was doing. You cared about me. You yelled at me and told me what I was doing was wrong, that I had a bright future ahead of me, and that it wasn’t too late to change. I don’t know when, but after seeing you for half a year, you’ve finally changed my perspective.”

“I couldn’t leave the gang, I couldn’t stop immediately, but I promised you that I would, eventually. I persuaded him whenever he was on the verge to beat the guy to death to give them another chance. He began to listen to me, although hesitantly each time. Soon you and I became best friends again. And then you persuaded me to attend university with you. Although a little late, I enrolled in the same university as you did, and I really thought I could start fresh. You showed me that I was more capable than I thought I would be. You helped me believe in myself.”

Ron gazed into Tavia’s eyes, his eyes showed of great gratitude.

“He didn’t approve of me going to university, but I did without his approval. He let it go. But then I fell in love with you, and unbelievably, you did too. We stared dating, and we were serious. I spent a lot more time with you than I would with my gang, he and I drifted apart. They felt abandoned; they thought that I’ve changed. I finally had the courage to tell them that I wanted to stop; I wanted a good future for us. We had arguments, fist fights…but I never thought…Never thought that he would kidnap you, and tried to tear us apart. I left the gang, he became my worst enemy. From then on, I told myself, I can’t allow anything to happen to you.”

“Your parents and Patrick came over to Canadafor a visit, we met, and they discovered my past. They wouldn’t accept us, although you fought hard and told them all these great things about me. I knew I wasn’t good enough for you, but when you said that we needed to break up, I couldn’t accept that. After the day we broke up, I never saw you again. I thought I would never see you again…”

As Ron burst into tears, his hands cupped his face.

After hearing all this, Tavia immediately embraced him, tears bursting out of her eyes. They sat on the swings, embracing one another, crying their heart out.

- - -

Deep in her thoughts, Tavia took a stroll along the harbor. Her thoughts were all over the place. Ron’s words echoed in her mind. Her tears continued to sting her eyes. The wind blew her hair back, and she breathed in a huge breath of air. Exhaling, she glanced at her surroundings.

Right after Ron had revealed his past, she didn’t know what to think of anymore. She felt the pain; it was like a wound in her heart had opened, as it killed her inside. She imagined what Ron must’ve been through, and although her intentions were to inform Ron of her relationship with Raymond, she didn’t want to tell him at that very moment. She didn’t want to break his heart, again.

With mixed emotions, she assured Ron that she would take much care of herself, and she would consider talking to Patrick about the vacation, although she wasn’t going to really. They were already short on money, and Patrick was just too involved in his job. She shooed Ron away, assuring him that she would give him a call, once it was settled.

Further down the harbor, something caught her eye. She saw two figures, facing on another, seemly having a heated argument. She edged closer, and hid behind one of the poles. Glancing out, she gasped at the sight in front of her. It was Raymond and Linda.

“You dragged me along to so many places. We’re finally here. Please, tell me…What is it that you want?” Raymond asked in a tone of irritation.

“Raymond…Do you love me?” Linda blurted, searching for the answer in his eyes.

Raymond shook his head, gazing at the ground, as he felt the tears coming. The pain he had felt after his breakup with her, it all came back to him. It made him feel so weak inside, he felt that his life was completely meaningless without her.

“How could I Linda? How could I still love you when you broke my heart? When you lied and said you didn’t love me anymore, not for the reasons you have told me but for another man?”  Raymond roared, feeling himself tremble.

Linda was first to break down into an endless stream of tears.

“It’s not what you think it is Raymond! I never stopped loving you! I didn’t have a choice! I didn’t…”  Linda cried, her legs giving away, as her knees collapsed, touching the cement floor.

“Linda!” Raymond cried, trying to keep her balance, as he bent down and held onto her arms.

“Raymond, listen to me. The only reason I stayed with him was because he owed my dad money and I needed that money back to save my dad.” Linda sobbed.

Raymond’s eyes widened in shock, “What are you saying, Linda?”

“You know my dad, Raymond. He always gambles, always loses money. He owed the mafia so much money; there was no way I could afford to pay off for him again. I couldn’t bother you yet again either. The amount is just impossible to pay off, even with your money and mine combined. I didn’t want to trouble you yet again. I feel so ashamed to have such a father like him, but he’s my father, I can’t just let him die. I had to act as his boyfriend to get the money back, he promised. But he had lied, only to use me…I never did end up getting the money back…” 

Raymond slammed his fist into the cement, full of fury. Blood was tickling from his hand.

“Raymond!” Linda cried, as she held onto his bleeding hand.

“Why couldn’t you just tell me Linda? We’ve been through this for three years; did you not think that I would stay by your side through this yet again? Did you think that I would leave you, and not give a care about your father? I would give you the money, all my money, I would have come up with some idea as to how to collect the money and repay the mafia!” Raymond cried, hurt in his voice.

“I’m sorry, forgive me!” Linda cried, begging him on her knees.

Raymond shook his head, unable to breathe. “Linda, listen. I forgive you. Stay away from the guy. Tell me, when do you need the money?” He asked.

Linda shook her head. “I can’t…I can’t…”

“Yes you can!” Raymond shouted.

Linda told Raymond the amount, and when she had to pay off to the mafia.

Raymond nodded, his eyes showing no emotion, although he was frightened, troubled, he didn’t know how in the world he would be able to gain that much money in such a short time span.

“I’ll call you once I get the money.” Raymond said, getting up.

“Wait!” Linda cried, getting up and embracing Raymond from behind, as he attempted to walk away.

“Will…Will you give me another chance?” Linda stammered, burying her face in his back, her tears staining his shirt.

Swallowing hard, Raymond was speechless. His mind was blank; he suddenly didn’t know how to speak. He didn’t know the answer…

Watching the scene in front of her unfold, Tavia felt tears trickle down her cheeks. She couldn’t believe her ears; Linda and Raymond had shared more than she could possibly understand. Raymond didn’t answer Linda when she asked for another chance…Could it be that Raymond still love Linda very much?

- - -

31/08/10– Whoa, what an emotional chapter. This is a very important chapter, and I thought it would be hard for me to type out, but turns out…not bad right ? :) Your thoughts?!

&I'm trying to finish this asap, since school is starting soon ):