Reliving the Moment

Beyond the Clouds
Half an hour later, they arrive at their destination.

“A theme park?” Tavia asked.

“Yup.” Ron grinned, sneaking a glance at Tavia.

He purchased their tickets and they entered the theme park.

“So…which ride do you want to go on?” He asked.

“I don’t know…” Tavia says, not knowing whether or not she enjoys the rides.

She glanced around, noticing that a lot of the rides were rollercoaster’s, very fast and very high. She gulped. I hope I won’t vomit or anything. She thought.

“Let’s start off slow and go on the Ferris wheel over there!” Ron exclaimed, excitedly.

Tavia looked over to where Ron was pointing at and nodded. It was slow and it seemed like a safe, enjoyable ride. They lined up and within minutes they were both seated.

“Make sure you keep your eyes open – you don’t want to miss out on the beautiful scenery!” Ron chuckled.

Tavia glanced at him, noticing how odd he was acting. His laughter almost seemed evil, she thought. She giggled at her weird thoughts.

Ron stole a glance at her while she was giggling. He missed her so much – she was still as beautiful as he remembered. How much he wanted to hold her close and embrace her.

The ride started, and slowly they started to go up. Tavia looked out and was enjoying the pace of the ride. The scene is nice she thought. But as they got higher and higher, she felt more and more uncomfortable. They have reached halfway up in the air, and she started to panic. The view was frightening as she looked down. The people were so tiny; the ground was many meters away.

What if we got stuck here? What if one of the screws was loose and we fell down? Knowing her luck so far, anything was possible. Tavia’s palms start to sweat. She held herself close and looked away from the scene, and instead stared at her shoes.

By her side, Ron noticed the way Tavia was acting. It was exactly how he expected. He wonders if he should make his move.

“Ron…” Tavia suddenly burst out. “I’m…scared!” She admitted, looking up into his eyes.

“Don’t be…” Ron says gently. Tavia shut her eyes tightly, unwilling to open them.

“Tell me when the ride is over.” She says, her voice shaking.

“Tavia…Come on, it’s not that bad!” Ron urges.

Tavia shook her head, unwilling to give it another go. She clung onto Ron’s arm and buried her face on his shoulder. This surprised him and he smiled as he watched her. She was so scared and he knew it.

“And I thought things would be different this time.” He chuckled to himself, but Tavia had overheard.

In fact, something triggers her mind.

[ FLASHBACK ]

The ride just finished, and Tavia ran off just as one of the workers opened the door. Tavia was yelling at Ron so loudly that everyone was looking at her. While Ron and Tavia were up high on the Ferris wheel, she also attracted all the attention. She was screaming and hitting Ron playfully, and then she bit him in the arm causing Ron to scream as well.

“My god Tavia – that was our first ride and our absolute worst! Who knew you were so chicken? That was a freaking Ferris wheel! It was so…slowwwww.” Ron teased.

“I hate you Ron! Why did you bring me here! You know how much I’m afraid of heights!” Tavia cried.

“I thought that I could help you overcome your fear. Boy was I wrong.”

Tavia ran up to him and slapped him in the arm, hard.

“Ouch! What did you do that for? You still need to pay for biting my arm, you vampire!” Ron shouted.

“This is all your fault!” Tavia pointed out.

“Look, are we going to stand here arguing all day or are we going to go on some rides? Or are you too chicken to go on any ride?”

Tavia looked around. Everything seemed to be intimidating, but Tavia didn’t want Ron to think she was no fun and wouldn’t go on any ride.

“The haunted house!” She cried, running towards the line.

“Psh, that’s not even scary.” Ron says, running after her.

The haunted house ride started, and the ride slowly entered the building. They could see nothing but pitch black.

“BOO!” Ron shouted, right into Tavia’s ears, causing her to jump in fright.

“Ron!” She cried, irritated.

Ron chuckled.

Suddenly, something fell down right in front of them and both Tavia and Ron screamed, grabbing one another. The thing lighted up, revealing an ugly clown mask.

After a few minutes, the ride ended and they got out.

“Wow that was so scary!” Ron said sarcastically, throwing his hands ups. “Not.” He added.

Tavia grinned. “I saw your face. You were so scared!”

“I was not! I was PERTENDNG!” He argued. He turned around, but Tavia was gone.

“Ron over here!” Tavia says, far in the distance. Ron ran up to her.

“I want cotton candy!”

Ron paid, and got Tavia and himself both a cone of cotton candy. Tavia had pink cotton candy, while Ron had blue cotton candy. They sat down on the bench and ripped off pieces of cotton candy, feeding one another.

“Open wide!” Tavia says, stuffing a huge piece of cotton candy in Ron’s mouth as he opens it.

“Om om om!” Ron says, happily chewing on the piece of cotton candy.

“You’re so silly!” Tavia giggled.

He suddenly grabbed onto her hand. “What do you think of our first date?”

“I think I’ll remember this day forever!” Tavia laughed.

[ END OF FLASHBACK ]

Almost immediately, Tavia let go of Ron. She sat back straight up and then looked up at him. He was surprised to see that she wasn’t panicking anymore. In fact, she was very calm. Slowly, she turned to look out at the scenery, deep in her thoughts.

I can’t believe I just remembered something – our first date, Tavia thought. Ron isn’t like how I assumed he was. He’s very immature, fun, and sweet. How did we get separated? Tavia thought. What happened?

The ride ended, and they got off. Ron then asked, “You want cotton candy?”

Surprisingly, Tavia shook her head. She wanted to go on another ride – not the Haunted House, but something entirely new.

“Let’s go on the Merry-Go-Round!”

“The WHAT?!” Ron cried.

Before he could even protest, Tavia ran off. When it was their turn, Tavia sat on one of the horses and Ron sat on the bench.

“Oh come on – the bench is no fun! What, are you chicken?” She teased.

“What? NO!” Ron cried.

He looked around, embarrassed. They were the oldest. In fact, they were the only adults on the ride. Everyone else was aged ten and under.

Reluctantly, Ron sat on one of the horses beside Tavia. The ride began and the horses went up and down. This is seriously boring and embarrassing, Ron thought. But then he looked at Tavia and saw how happy she was.

It was late, and Ron dropped Tavia off under her apartment at exactly 8pm.

“Thanks for the teddy bear.” Tavia smiled.

Ron had played one of the games at theme park and won Tavia a huge teddy bear. He could tell she really wanted it.

“No problem.” And there goes the question he was dying to ask, yet was reluctant to.

“So…did you remember anything?” Ron asked.

Tavia wanted to tell him, but at the same time, she wasn’t sure if she should just yet. She shook her head slowly and bit down on her lip. She glanced up, to see a disappointed look on Ron’s face.

“So I guess this is it…” He choked.

Tavia got out of her car and closed the door. She headed to the gates, but then stopped, and turned around.

“Ron…You can still be my friend.” She says.

Ron looked up, surprised. Tavia too, was surprised.

“Good night!” She said, before running off.

Ron smiled. He hadn’t had this much fun in a long time. He knew that sooner or later, he’ll be able to win Tavia’s heart back, and everything would be the way it used to be.

- - -

31/07/10 - taro <3