The Plan

Beyond the Clouds
Seated at one of the tables of the hospital canteen, Tavia and Bosco were eating lunch. Recalling the night before, Tavia’s thoughts drifted off and she paid no attention to Bosco, who was sitting just in front of her. After eating the congee that Raymond made along with taking the medication and having a lot of rest, Tavia was feeling a lot better. Having Raymond accompany her, she felt safe with his presence by her side. She fell asleep soundly, and when she next woke up in the middle of the night, he was gone. She felt this lonely undesired feeling when she realized he was gone.

Bosco who was blabbing non-stop had stopped after receiving no feedback from Tavia. He knew that she wasn’t listening to him. He found it strange that she was so silent today. She sat there, both of her elbows propped on the table, with her chin rested on both palms. She was staring off into space, and Bosco really wondered what was on her mind that made her smile occasionally. Bosco felt a tinge of jealously, wondering who or what made Tavia so happy to the point where she paid no attention to him at all. Lunch was now the only time he was able to see Tavia, although he always finds time to pass by her department and visit her. However this was the only time where he could spend more quality time with her and he had missed her dearly when she was too ill to volunteer.

Placing his coffee cup down, Bosco cleared his throat. “Tavia?”

At the sound of her name, Tavia glanced up quickly and smiled sheepishly. “Sorry Bosco.” She apologized. “What were you saying?”

“Did something happen over the past few days?” Bosco asked, curious.

Involuntarily, Tavia blushed. He couldn’t have known what happened could he? She thought, grinning. Why is that that her mind constantly thought of Raymond last night? Why was it that she felt this strange feeling whenever she’s around him? She couldn’t have liked him could she?

Once again, Bosco felt ignored. He had noticed her blush, in which she tried to hide. He felt that she was hiding a secret from him and he was determined to find out what it was. A thought occurred to him that Tavia and Ron may have gotten back together again but he didn’t ask her as he feared her answer.

- - -

Ron had called Tavia last night on her cell phone. She sounded really weak and ill, and he felt the strongest urge to rush over to her place and see her. She told him that she was feeling a lot better, and so Ron asked her if he could see her after volunteer in the following day. At first she sounded hesitant, but she finally agreed and said she had something very important to discuss with him. He felt excited by the sound of her words, as he imagined that she may have remembered him and wanted to be with him again. Or perhaps she wanted to go a step further in their friendship. Whatever it was, Ron was couldn’t wait to see her.

Waiting at a small table in the pub, Ron was there with Benny and Shirley. Earlier, Benny and Shirley asked of his whereabouts, and when Ron told them they insisted on coming without asking him whether or not he wanted them there. It wasn’t so much of being the third wheel, but he wanted to spend time with Tavia and only Tavia.

Benny tried to drag Sammul out of the house, complaining that he doesn’t go out as much anymore. Ron couldn’t blame Sammul though. This was after all the place where Sammul had first met Leila. It would only bring back painful memories for him.

When Benny heard that Ron initially invited Tavia, he said that he had a plan to bring them closer together. Shirley was also involved with the plan, and she guaranteed that Tavia will fall head over heels for him after this. Doubting their plan, Ron told them to mind their own business, but he was curious to what their ‘plan’ was. However, both of them ‘zipped their mouth’ and grinned mischievously.

Half an hour later, Tavia finally arrived. She was surprised to see the group, but she happily greeted everyone. She seated herself between Shirley and Ron.

Ron turned to Tavia, his face automatically lighting up. “You want something to drink?” He asked. Tavia was about to shake her head, when Shirley perked up, “Of course she does!”

Benny added, “We are all drinking today! No backing out!” He waved over to the waiter and ordered a bucket of alcoholic drinks.

Once the drinks arrived, Benny and Shirley suggested that they all play the game of 5, 10, 15, 20. Whoever lost had to drink a shot.

After hearing this, Ron shook his head. “No way. Do you want to get us drunk?” He asked.

His eyes shot up as he questioned them. That couldn’t be their plan could it? He thought. He shot a glance at Benny, who winked in return. Ron’s face formed into a horrified expression. He was even more horrified to hear Tavia’s reply.

“Sure. I’d love to play. How do you play?” Tavia asked.

“NO!” Ron shouted. Everyone in the pub turned to his attention. Noticing this, Ron lowered his voice. “I won’t allow this. You can’t drink Tavia, after a few shots your face will get all red.” He said.

Tavia smiled. Ron was so considerate of her and she was glad that he was part of her life. Although Patrick had warned her that he was dangerous, he really wasn’t. In fact he was protective and caring.

Originally she came to tell him that she wasn’t allowed to see him anymore. From this opportunity she wanted to ask him why Patrick has such a dislike towards him. That could wait Tavia thought as the atmosphere was too enjoyable to ruin.

“That’s fine Ron! We won’t get you drunk Tavia. You can stop playing whenever. If anything, we’ll take you home!” Shirley assured.

Tavia nodded. She placed her hand on top of Ron’s and tugged his. “I really want to play.” Tavia pleaded. Ron couldn’t say no. He’ll just have to watch her and make sure she doesn’t drink too much. He nodded.

Shirley explained the rules to the game to Tavia. All four of them played the game together. At first Tavia lost multiple times, so she had drink multiple shots. Ron’s expression was evident, he was worried for her. Unmistakably, Tavia’s entire face was quite red after her first few shots.

Shirley laughed, “Ron sure knows you well!”

Afterwards, Benny and Shirley lost a couple of times, but Tavia lost the most. Ron however, even without really trying, never lost.

“Ron is the king of this game. In fact, he owns this place. He WAS the life of the party.” Benny explained.

“He isn’t now?” Tavia asked.

“Well, he was too caught up with his girlfriend.” Benny answered, smirking.

Tavia glanced over at Ron questioningly, who looked away. She then realized that the girlfriend Benny referred to was her. She blushed, her cheeks growing redder.

They continued to play for a little longer, and Ron started to take the shots for her. Tavia insisted that it isn’t fair and she can take them herself. They started to bicker and every time Tavia reached for a shot, Ron would reach for it too and they’ll tug at it.

“Come on, I can take it. You however should take a look at yourself in the mirror.” Ron joked.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” Tavia asked a bit dizzy already. She was swaying back and forth. Ron took in shot after shot for her.

“New rules.” Benny announced, grinning naughtily. Ron eyed Benny.

“This time we play in teams. Shirley and I. Ron and Tavia. Whoever loses has to kiss their teammate on the cheek!”

Ron gasped as he heard this. He turned to face Tavia who grinned innocently. “Sounds like fun!” she said, confidently.

Ron grabbed her arm. “Are you drunk already? Do you realize what you’re saying?” He asked.

Tavia grinned. “I’m sober, Ron. I know you’ll always win. As for me, I’m getting the hang of it. I believe we can beat them!” Tavia pumped her fist high in the air.

Ron was uncertain whether or not she knew what she was doing, but he played along anyway. Surprisingly, Tavia was right. After playing for almost half an hour, he never lost once and Tavia haven’t either. It was always Benny or Shirley who had lost, but it didn’t matter to them since they were a couple already.

Ron was nervous each time they played. He was afraid to see Tavia’s reaction when she loses and comes to the fact that she has to give him a kiss. Ron wanted to give up and leave, but every time he announces it, Tavia will just pull him back down on his seat. Truthfully, he didn’t want to leave and he really wanted her to lose. Eventually, she did. Cupping their hands to their mouths, Benny and Shirley cheered loudly.

Ron blushed a shade of the color of tomato. Tavia laughed it off. “Wow Ron. You never looked better!” She joked. She glanced into his eyes and before he knew it, she gave him a quick peck on his cheek.

It was as if the world only consisted of them two. All the noise, the people, the objects, everything was tuned out, out of his sight as his eyes only watched her. Even though Tavia was a bit different now, she was happier, more optimistic, and confident. Tavia was still the girl Ron fell in love with, years ago.

- - -

12/08/10