Chapter 10

Beyond the Clouds
[THREE DAYS LATER]

Tavia browsed through the many opened sites on her laptop. She was bored and she decided to get a job. But with no experience from her past or any memory of her skills at all, she decided she’ll volunteer instead, anything to keep her busy and her mind off of what had happened recently.

Her mind kept on replaying the day she bumped into Ron, and when she realized that he was her boyfriend. She was quite surprised, as he did look dangerous, rebellious, moody, possibly a player, someone who wouldn’t love her unconditionally. However when she heard how he had spent so much time trying to find her, she knew that he must be very loving, and that is probably why she fell for him. She wasn’t sure what she should do, as she doesn’t have any feelings for him as of now.

For the past three days she stayed at home, not wanting to have any chance in bumping into him again. Suddenly, a thought occurred to her. She opened a link and went on Google. She searched up Ron… But her mind went blank. What is his last name? She didn’t even know.

Tavia got up from her seat and decided to rummage through the many boxes hidden in her closet. She dragged one heavy box out and opened it. Inside, there was a flower; it was dried up and discolored. She pushed it aside and took hold of a small teddy bear that holds onto a heart with the words; I LOVE YOU. Underneath the teddy there was a picture. It was a picture of her and Ron, at the beach. She studied the picture, as Ron looked different somehow. He looked happy, carefree, and loving. He was hugging Tavia from behind, and there she saw herself, her eyes sparkling, her lips parted into a large smile.

Pushing the picture and a bunch of other items aside, she reached down to the bottom of the box, where there was a card that said, “Happy Anniversary” in the front. She opened it, and inside it said, “Today is our 3rd year anniversary. Baby, I love you forever and always. – Ron Ng”

Almost immediately, Tavia ran back to her laptop and typed RON NG. Many links appeared and she clicked onto each of them. Then she came across a newspaper article, “GANG ARRESTED FOR STARTING A FIRE.”

Just then, Tavia’s cellphone started to ring. She picked it up, without glancing at the caller ID, her eyes completely fixated on the article.

“Hello?” She said.

“Hey, it’s me Raymond.” The voice on the other end said. Tavia recognized his voice and her gaze broke away from the computer screen.

“So remember the other day I said I’ll treat you to dinner? Are you free right now?”

“Sure!” Tavia replied, as her stomach started to growl.

“Great. I’ll come pick you up right now. I’ll be there in ten minutes.”

They hung up and Tavia rushed into her room and started to get ready. She had forgotten about the article completely. She put on a casual yet elegant purple dress that she can wear out without feeling overdressed and she quickly applied some makeup on.

At exactly ten minutes later, Raymond rang the doorbell. Tavia opened it and caught her breath. She never really noticed how handsome Raymond was. He was wearing a black dress shirt, pants, and leather shoes. He wore a red tie, and his hair was gelled and sticking up in different directions.

“Hey. You ready?” Raymond asked a smile appearingon his lips as soon as he saw Tavia.

Tavia nodded.

They both headed out and Raymond pressed the elevator down button. After a few seconds, a ‘ding’ was heard. Tavia entered first, followed by Raymond. They were both silent in the elevator.

“So how are things with Patrick these days?” Raymond asked.

“He’s no longer upset, I think. He doesn’t into my business anymore, but I don’t feel that we connect very much. I think it’s my fault.”

“You guys just need to get to know each other better first.”

Suddenly, the elevator jerked. Tavia and Raymond both fell backwards, and then they balanced themselves, grasping on the rails tightly. The lights above flickered.

“What’s going on?” Tavia asked, her voice shaking.

“I’m not sure…Don’t worry.” Raymond said calmly.

The elevator continued down slowly, and Raymond breathed a sigh of relief. Then the elevator jerked again and stopped completely.

“Are we stuck in the elevator?” Tavia cried, unable to hide the panic in her voice.

“Hey, it’s okay. I’ll just go get help.” Raymond reassured, as he pressed the emergency button.

However, there was no voice heard over the speaker. He pressed it a good multiple times but still no help was found. He casually took out his cell phone from his pants pocket, but as expected there was no signal.

“Oh my god we are stuck here!” Tavia started to feel scared.

“Help! Someone please help us!” Tavia cried, cupping her hands together and yelling as loud as she could.

Raymond joined in, “Is someone out there? We’re stuck in an elevator!”

Ten minutes has gone by and their voice cracked. The lights flickered nonstop and then the power went off.

“Could the day get any worse?” Tavia whined. She seated herself down in the corner, hugging her knees.

“I’m sorry, this is all my fault.” Raymond said softly.

“No it’s not your fault. This is just bad timing.”

“I guess we are going to be here for a while.” Raymond said, joining Tavia on the floor. He noticed her lips were quivering and her eyes were a bit watery.

“You know we’re going to be okay, hang in there. I’m here with you.” He smiles, trying to comfort her.

Tavia returned his smile. She really tries to calm down, but she can’t. She’s absolutely horrified.

“Want to hear a joke?” Raymond asked suddenly. Tavia shrugged her shoulders.

“Why did Tigger flush himself down the toilet?” He asked.

Tavia looked at Raymond wide-eyed. “Why would anyone flush themselves down the toilet?” She asked.

“Just give a guess.” Raymond urges.

“Because… he wants to commit suicide?” Tavia gasped, not feeling any better at all.

Raymond chuckled at her response. “No…Good guess though. Because he was looking for POOH! Get it?”

Tavia stared at Raymond like he was crazy while he chuckled harder. “Think about it. Winnie the Pooh?”

Tavia stared into space and then broke into a laugh. “Ohhhh..” She says, thinking about it, and laughing again.

“My guess was so…awful!”

“Hm…Let’s play a game now.” Raymond says.

For the next half an hour or so, Raymond and Tavia passed the time by playing games like rock, paper, scissors, the name game, thumb wrestling, and a few other childish games they know of. They felt like children again. Tavia had forgotten about her fear of being trapped in the elevator. However, after they ran out of games, Tavia started to feel anxious again. They were exhausted and thirsty.

Tavia’s stomach started to growl. She looked up at Raymond, embarrassed. Raymond sighed.

“You’d think they would have rescued us by now.” Raymond says.

“Raymond…How are you these days?” Tavia asked sincerely.

“Much better, thanks. I haven’t had any contact with her lately though. I figured I should give her some space you know?” Raymond says softly.

Tavia nodded, her eyebrows furrowed.

“Is there something else that is bothering you?” Raymond asked suddenly.

Tavia nodded, unsure how to explain.

“I bumped into my boyfriend the other day. He looked so heartbroken when he discovered that I didn’t remember him. Apparently, he’s been searching for me while I was in my coma. I don’t know if I should accept him again, considering I don’t have any feelings for him.”

“Hm…That’s hard. For both of you. I don’t think you should accept him though.” Raymond says.

Tavia looked up, surprised by his answer.

“However, you know he isn’t going to give up right? So when you do see him again next time, just allow him to be you friend. You may fall for him again, or you may not. Either way, give him a chance.”

Tavia nodded. “I supposed that would be reasonable.”

Suddenly, a voice was heard over the speaker. “Is someone in the elevator?”

“Yes! Two people have been trapped here for over an hour now! Please let us out!” Raymond cried into the speaker.

“We’ll be there in a few minutes.”

Finally, Tavia thought as breathed in relief. Despite having to spend an hour in the elevator, Tavia felt that her time with Raymond inside was fun and memorable.

Raymond turned to face Tavia. He grinned. “Let’s eat our off at an all-you-can-eat buffet.”