Chapter 11

Beyond the Clouds
Tavia walked through the doors of the hospital entrance. The place was so similar; she knew her way around so well. She went up the elevator, feeling her heart beat a little faster as she remembered the incident at the elevator the other day. Once she reached Dr. Au-Yeung’s floor, she pasted on a casual smile and strolled towards Macy, the receptionist.

“Hi Macy, I’m here for volunteer?”

Macy looked up from the desktop screen and smiled warmly. “Tavia! How are you?”

“Great!”

“You here to visit me Tavia?”

Tavia turned around and found herself face to face with Bobby. “Actually, yes.” Tavia held out her arm in which she brought her homemade cake.

“Why thank you!” Bobby gleamed.

A few seconds later Bosco appeared and his eyes widened as he saw Tavia.

“Tavia! What are you doing here?” He asked.

“I’m going to volunteer alongside you!” She laughs.

Immediately, the corners of Bosco’s lips turned up into a wide smile. Bobby noticed this and shook his head, while chuckling.

“Tavia, welcome. Steven Ma is the one in charge, so you shall go find him. Bosco, show her to where Steven is, and…do behave.” Bobby stated, before he walked off.

Bosco skipped towards Tavia and lead her the way. Tavia giggled at his immatureness. Macy watched them with the corner of her eyes; she felt a tint of jealously.

“This is going to be so great! We’re going to be very close!” Bosco gleamed. “The best of friends!” He added quickly.

He lead her to the volunteer department and introduced her to all the volunteers, and even the staff that passed by. Tavia felt welcomed, as everyone there was so friendly especially Bosco. Then Bosco led her to Steven Ma’s office.

“Steven! Meet Tavia, our new volunteer!” Bosco exclaimed.

Steven looked up from his desk and frowned at Bosco. “How many times do I have to tell you to knock on my door first?” Then his gaze turned to Tavia and he smiled.

“Hello miss Yeung. Just make yourself at home… and I would give you a tour around and teach you some of the stuff that we do around here but I am currently very busy, so Bosco will help you if you have any questions for the next few days.”

Tavia nodded. “Thank you for allowing me to join your division. I’ll do my best.”

Steven laughed. “Alright, get to work.”

Bosco grinned widely. This is my chance he thought. He has thought hard for the last couple of days that he was going to pursue Tavia while he can. Ever since their last encounter with Ron, he felt that perhaps this was fate that she had forgotten him. That Ron guy just isn’t her cup of tea.

- - -

A loud cheer erupted in Roger’s investigation room. Raymond rushed into the room, curious to what was going on. He entered to see that everyone was crowded around Shirley, who was grinning from ear to ear.

“Congratulations Shirley!” Someone cried.

“It’s about time Shirley – I thought no one would take you!” Jack joked.

Shirley smacked him in the head and then they both burst out laughing.

Raymond walked up to Shirley. “What’s going on?”

Shirley giggled nonstop, and everyone around her grinned widely as they were in on the secret.

The suspense was killing Raymond. Finally, Roger spoke up. “Shirley’s getting married!”

Raymond’s eyes widened. “When was this? Why didn’t you tell me?”

“She didn’t tell anyone when she was dating! Sneaky girl!” Jack said.

“Sorry Ray. I wanted to tell you… but you were so caught up in your own relationship, so I figured I would tell you later…” Shirley said.

“Wow, who’s the lucky guy?” He asked.

“His name is Benny.” Shirley giggled.

“Poor Benny.” Jack murmured, shaking his head. Shirley was about to smack him again when he ducked behind Raymond, causing Shirley to stop.

“Now that I’m getting married, I’m going to be more mature.” She says, standing up straight with her head lifted up.

“But before our marriage, both Benny and I are planning a celebration event. We were thinking of a cruise to a cottage for two nights!” Shirley exclaimed.

Everyone cheered.

“So you’ll all be there right? Bring your family and or friends! The more the merrier!” Shirley says.

“Roger – I assume you’ll bring Melissa. Jack – you have no one.” Shirley smirked. She turned to Raymond. “Are you bringing anyone Raymond?” She asked.

Everyone’s attention turned to Raymond. Raymond instantly thought of Tavia. “I might bring a friend…” He says, hesitantly.

“Actually Shirley, if you don’t mind, I would like to invite Bobby Au-Yeung. I’m sure he would like to bring his wife Christine, and their son Bosco as well.” Roger said.

Shirley nodded. “This is going to be so much fun! Benny and I will do the planning – and we’ll get back to you guys about this!”

“Okay. Once again, congratulations Shirley! Now everybody – get back to work!” Roger orders and everybody scatters.

- - -

Tavia was exhausted on her first day of volunteer, even though she worked for only six hours today, it was still quite early. However she was ready to go home, rest, and then watch the 8:00 TVB series. Bosco had told her earlier to wait for him so he could drive her home but it seemed like Bosco has to stay behind longer, under the commands of Bobby. Tavia decided she would take the bus instead. Just as she reached the entrance doors, Ron charged in.

Ron and Tavia both stopped in their steps and stared at one another. Finally, Ron walked towards her and said, “Tavia…I know you don’t remember me, but I was wondering if you could give me the chance to be your friend?” He asked, waiting for her answer.

Tavia didn’t know how to respond. Part of her wanted to give him that chance, but another part of her didn’t – he did seem like a dangerous, up to no good type of person. But then she remembered what Raymond advised her. She broke out of her own thoughts and stared at Ron right in the eye. He seemed sincere, but she wasn’t ready to accept him into her life.

Tavia shook her head, before walking out towards the bus stop. Ron followed her and stepped right in front of Tavia, almost causing her to bump right into him.

“How about we make a deal – you spend the rest of the day with me and I’ll try everything I can to make you remember something in your life. If by the end of the day you don’t remember anything – if you don’t remember me… well then, I won’t bother you ever again.” Ron chokes, knowing that this risk may ruin his life.

Tavia was surprised he made that offer. What were the chances that she’ll remember something? She decided that it may be a good idea, she has nothing to lose.

“Okay.” She responded.

Ron grinned. He had an idea where he was going to bring her. It might just work.

- - -

30/07/10