A Confession

Beyond the Clouds
Tavia woke up early in the morning to the smell of eggs, sausages, and toast.

“Good morning!” Patrick said as soon as Tavia stepped into the kitchen.

“Morning.” Tavia yawned. “Do you have a day off today?” Tavia asked.

Patrick nodded as he carried two plates out to the dining table. Tavia giggled as she saw him wearing a flowery apron.

She seated herself and was ready to dig in, when Patrick slapped her hand away and asked, “Did you brush your teeth yet?”

“Of course!” Tavia exclaimed. “You sound like a mom.” Tavia joked, and then she grew silent as she realized what she just said.

Patrick took a seat in front of Tavia and sighed loudly. “I’ve been searching for our family videos for the past few days. I figured today was a good day to watch them with you. I’m also going to show you some of our old photos.”

Tavia nodded, “I’ve been wanting to ask you about the accident.”

Patrick quickly added, “We’ll talk about it after breakfast.”

As they silently chewed on their food, Patrick changed the subject, “Tavia, did you finish packing yet?”

Tavia nodded. Tomorrow she was leaving to her trip to the cottage for two days. “Too bad you can’t come.” Tavia added.

Patrick nodded. “I have to work tomorrow. But at least Selena is able to accompany you.”

After breakfast, they headed over to the living room. Patrick put a video tape into the VCR.

“This was when you entered a piano competition when you were eight, and you won first place.” He explained.

An image appeared on the screen and on it showed a young petite girl playing the piano on stage in front of hundreds of people. The camera then turned to a close up of a young boy who had a bowl haircut and was playing around with his toy cars, paying no attention to the stage at all.

“And that would be me.” Patrick smiles.

The camera turned again, and this time you see a man and a woman. They smiled into the camera. “We are so proud of you Tavia!” They said to the camera. The camera then moved back to the stage, where the girl continued to play her music. It was soothing to Tavia’s ears as she swayed to the music.

[ FLASHBACK ]

She remembered that day, when her mom brought her a new, pretty dress to wear to the piano competition. Her mom braided Tavia’s hair and she felt like the most beautiful girl that day. Tavia had practiced day and night for so many weeks, that Patrick was very annoyed with her music. Before she went on stage she felt so nervous, she wanted to turn back, but surprisingly, Patrick gave her a hug and said, “Gah jeh, you can do it!”

Her palms sweaty, and her legs shaking, she held her breath and bravely went on stage as her name was called. She bowed to the crowd and slowly seated herself down. She swiftly glanced at the crowd and saw her parents waving to her. And then she began to play… with all her heart.

When she was done, she got up and the crowd applauded loudly. She ran off the stage to find her parents there giving her hugs. After the competition was done, her name was announced as first place and she went back up on stage to accept her very first trophy. Afterwards, her father brought her to McDonald’s and it was the happiest day of her childhood years.

[ END OF FLASHBACK ]

Tavia suddenly burst out, “I remember.”

Patrick quickly turned towards her and asked her what she remembered. As Tavia explained what she remembered of that day, his smile grew wider and wider. “We have many more videos!” Excited, Patrick put on video after video.

Two hours later, their eyes were extremely tired. Tavia remembered bits and pieces of her past. They decided to take a break, and then Patrick got out a couple of photo albums and together they flipped through the pages.

Finally, they reached the last photo album. As Patrick flipped over to the first page, Tavia gasped. This must be quite recent, she thought, as she looked the same. “This was when you were in university.” Patrick said.

“What did I study?” Tavia asked.

“You wanted to be a teacher.” He responded.

"Did I graduate?"

Patrick shook his head. "Unfortunately, you weren't able to finish your last two years because of the accident."

Then she came across a picture of her and Ron. They were making silly faces.

“This is…” Tavia began, her fingers running across the picture.

“That is just some friend of yours.” Patrick snapped, quickly flipping onto the next page. But page after page, more pictures of Ron appeared.

“Just a friend…?” Tavia questioned.

“He isn’t even your friend anymore.” Patrick responded, dully.

“Why?” Tavia questioned, confused.

“He’s nothing but a troublemaker. I’m glad that you two no longer keep in touch.” Patrick mumbled, shutting the photo album shut.

Tavia studied Patrick as he got up to put the album away. She didn’t understand him. Sometimes he could be so immature and cheerful around her. Other times, he would suddenly become so reserved and moody, and he wouldn’t bother to answer her questions.

“Get dressed.” He said as he got out. “We’re going to the graveyard to visit our parents.”
At the sound of her parents, Tavia quickly went into her room to get changed.

- - -

After Patrick and Tavia visited their parents at the graveyard, they met up with Selena to eat hotpot at a small restaurant where Patrick and Tavia always ate at when they were younger.

“It’s so great that you’re able to remember a bit of your past!” Selena grinned, picking a piece of meat up from the pot. She carefully put it on Tavia’s plate.

“After a while, she’ll probably remember you!” Patrick agreed getting a fishball with his chopsticks and putting it on Tavia’s plate as well.

“You guys eat too!” Tavia cried, quickly grabbing food from the pot and putting it on both of their plates.

“We’re happy for you.” Selena said. “This calls for some beer!” She cried.

“Nuh-uh. You guys are going on that trip tomorrow remember? Do you want a hangover?” Patrick argues.

“Finnne.” Selena said, sticking her tongue out. Patrick chuckled. Tavia watched the two as they rambled on, thinking how cute they would be if they became a couple.

Suddenly, an idea occurred to Tavia. She leaned in towards Selena and whispered, “This is your chance.” Selena turned to look at Tavia, bewildered.

“Aie yah – my stomach hurts!” Tavia cried, holding her stomach.

“Are you okay?” Patrick and Selena cried in unison.

“I’m okay; I just need to use the washroom. But I may take a while and the one near here is just too dirty! I’m going to quickly run back to our apartment!”

“Are you sure Tavia? We’ll come with you!” Patrick said, getting up.

“No! You two finish eating; it’s only five minutes away! I’ll be fine!” Tavia said, running away before giving Selena a quick wink.

Selena caught Tavia’s wink and blinked, opened wide, forming an O. She understood what Tavia was thinking.

Patrick continued to eat, and as he turned to Selena, he joked, “What are you doing? Waiting for me to feed you?”

Selena blushed, “Nothing.” She quickly stuffed a bunch of food into her own mouth, thinking of whether or not to take the opportunity to confess to Patrick her true feelings.

“Patrick…” She began.

“Yeah?” He said, between chewing, without looking up at her.

“Why don’t you have a girlfriend?” She blurted, and then covered . Stupid! She thought.

Patrick chuckled, “Why, do you want to be my girlfriend?”

When he heard no response from Selena, he turned to face her. She had stopped eating completely and her hair was covering her face as she looked down at the table.

“Patrick…Remember the first time we met? Two years ago when you, auntie and uncle came to Canada to visit Tavia? I developed a huge crush on you during the week that you stayed in Canada. Only you and Tavia know of my past and both of you agreed to take care of me when I decided to move to Hong Kong. I am really grateful to have met the both of you and to have you two by my side throughout these years.” Selena hesitated, taking a deep breath.

“You two are my family. But then Tavia’s accident caused her to be in a coma for two years. I was so afraid, so afraid I’ll lose my best friend, the sister I never had. But you didn’t leave me; you continued to be by my side. Right then, I knew I had fallen for you. I’m in love with you, Patrick.” After a few seconds, Selena lifted her head to glance at Patrick.

Both of his elbows were propped up on the table and he had his head in his hands.

“Selena…” He whispered. “I do love you very much…” He said, and Selena felt the butterflies in her stomach as he said this. Her lips formed into a part smile.

“But...I love you as a sister.” He stated, looking at her in the eye.

He knew this would hurt her so much, but he had to say it. This was the truth and he knew that he couldn’t fake his love for her, and that love cannot be forced. He also knew that it was better for her to experience the pain now, rather than later, when she develops more feelings towards him and mistaken his love for her as more.

Selena felt tears well up in her eyes. She struggled to fight back the tears. She knew he had felt this way all this time, but she was unwilling to accept the truth. She thought that perhaps he did develop feelings for her but he was just too shy to admit it. She felt so stupid for making the assumption and for having high hopes. But she also knew that at least she finally knows how he truly feels, rather than think of what could’ve been. She feels heartbroken, but she is more concerned of how this would affect their friendship. Putting on a fake smile, she said,

“You know…I was just joking.” She forced a laugh. “I mean….I did have a crush on you before, but it’s nothing serious – the part about loving you, you know I love you as brother and a friend. It’s just that you two have done so much for me you know? I’m so thankful to have you two in my life.” She said, her voice trailing off.

Patrick nodded. “I am too.” He smiled, “You are an amazing girl, Selena. Anyone would be lucky to date you. I should be the one wondering, why you don’t have a boyfriend.” He jokes.

They both looked away for a brief moment, deep in their thoughts. Finally, they decided to leave, and Patrick paid.

“I’ll take you home.” Patrick said.

Selena shook her head and smiled. “Its fine, I’ll take the bus.” She quickly walked away before he could say another word.

As Patrick watched Selena walked away, Selena could no longer hold it in. Tears streamed down her cheeks, and she casually wiped them away as she walked to the bus stop.

- - -

03/08/10 - sad chapter for pat&sel. ):