Love Song

Beyond the Clouds
[ A few days later ]

The new case has been more challenging for Roger’s team to get their hands on. After an abundant amount of work completed for the past couple of days, they are able to gather some information about Kevin Cheng. Raymond and his teammates discovered a newspaper article where Kevin was involved in starting a fire. It was a good five years ago when the gang got together and collaborated. Originally there were six members in the gang including Kevin, but now it stands five. The five had flown from Canada over to Hong Kong.

According to the article, it mentioned that the gang was basically a mafia; they lent money to people who in turn aren’t worth to venture their money on as they usually couldn’t be counted on. These people are drunkards, abusers, spenders and good majorities are gamblers. These people have done no good to the society and are always on the run in search for large sums of money.

A man name Hung Lo had borrowed money from the gang, unaware of his consequences if he had not returned the amount at the day of the deadline. Hung Lo lived in an apartment by himself, and he was a huge gambler. After losing all his $10, 000 which was borrowed from Kevin, he was unable to pay Kevin back by the time the deadline arrived. After threatening Hung Lo, they added interest, making it even more impossible for Hung to repay them. They declared that they would return in a few days for the money. However, Hung only gained half of the amount during the few days that were given to him, so Kevin and his gang started a fire and burned down his apartment flat.

Charges were pressed on them and they were arrested and stayed in jail for a good couple of months before someone had bailed them out. Luckily Hung was not at home during that time or murdering charges would have been held and they would have to stay in jail for many years to come.

Roger felt that this part of information was essential to know about the background of the gang and what kind of business they have been doing over the years. He decided that everyone should take a day off before they tackle the case more into depth. Everyone was content to hear this, and Raymond was relieved as he felt it was the perfect opportunity to visit Tavia.

- - -

After hearing the phone ring over ten times, Raymond was about to give up when someone picked up. It was Patrick, and he was relieved to hear Raymond call. Raymond asked Patrick if Tavia was there, but to his surprise, Tavia was feeling very ill with a fever, so she was resting at home. Patrick was already really late for work, and he had to present a very important proposal today. He asked Raymond to quickly come over and take care of Tavia while he was gone. Hearing how seriously ill she is, Raymond immediately agreed, starting his car engine before hanging up.

When he arrived at the door, the door burst open and out came Patrick. He lightly patted Raymond on the shoulder.

“Thank you so much Raymond. I didn’t know who to call. Selena was already off at work.” He said before saying his farewell.

Raymond entered their apartment and looked around. He thought that their apartment was very cozy. He noticed an old black piano sitting the corner of the living room. Walking over to one of the shelves that leaned against the wall, he bent down to look at the picture frames. There was a picture that seemed very recent of Patrick and Tavia; they were smiling extremely wide and he could tell that their sibling bond was inseparable. He assumed that this picture was taken before Tavia’s coma, as her hair was a lot shorter in the picture. Turning his head, he saw another picture, this time it was the three of them; Patrick, Tavia, and Selena. He chuckled softly as he saw their silly poses. The picture beside it was larger than the rest. It was a family photo of Tavia, Patrick, and their parents. He studied the picture, before he saw the last picture. He picked up the picture frame, and smiled. The adorable little girl in braids grinned back at him, holding her trophy high in the air, while standing on stage right beside the piano.

A loud cough escaped through a room, interrupting Raymond’s thoughts. He ran over to the nearest room and knocked on the door. Upon hearing no response, he pushed the door open to find Tavia lying in bed. Her eyes were shut and cheeks were pink. Her expression expressed how uncomfortable she felt, and she mindlessly rolled in her sleep. Raymond walked into her room and frowned, feeling his heart twinge. He didn’t understand why the sight of her like this made him feel uneasy. He bent down beside her bed and very lightly, he placed the back of his hand on her forehead. He could feel the heat from her head, and he knew that this fever was not a minor one.

Tavia’s eyes fluttered open and she stared straight ahead. Her eyes opened wide when she saw Raymond’s face, inches away from hers. “Ray?” She whispered.

Raymond smiled upon hearing the nickname she just called him. “Did you take your medication yet?”

Tavia nodded.

“Are you hungry?”

Tavia nodded. Raymond got up. “Be right back, I’ll make you some congee.”

Watching Raymond leave the room, Tavia formed a part smile. Although she wasn’t feeling well, her heart felt warm and content.

About fifteen minutes later Raymond returned with a cold towel in his hand. He was surprised to see Tavia still awake, her eyes wide. He gently placed the towel on her forehead and Tavia mouthed a soft ‘thank you.’

He was about to leave the room for her to rest when she said, “Please don’t leave yet.”

Smiling, Raymond responded, “Tavy, you need to sleep.”

Tavia giggled at her nickname. She shook her head, while she turned her body to the side to face him.

“I’m tired of sleeping.” She responded, pouting.

Sighing softly, Raymond pulled her desk chair close to her bed and sat down. “Be a good girl now.” He said.

“I can‘t fall asleep.” Tavia whined.

While he perched his elbows on his leg, Raymond tapped his chin softly, in thought. “Try, my dear. I promise I’ll stay.”

Tavia nodded, feeling his comfort. “Can you tell me a story?” She asked.

Surprised by her request, Raymond nodded. “Okay, I’ll try.” Frowning, he tried to think of how to begin his story. He wasn’t very creative in coming up with stories.

Waiting for Raymond to begin, Tavia looked up into his eyes, her eyes sparkling with excitement to what he had to say.

“Uh. Hm. Okay. So…Once upon a time…” He stuttered, and then hesitated. Tavia laughed at how difficult this was for Raymond. He cleared his throat. “Let me start again.” He chuckled.

“Once upon a time there was a…” His eyes glanced over to Tavia’s. “Princess.” He finished off.

Tavia was now grinning from ear to ear.

“She was…beautiful, inside and out.” Raymond said, his eyes never leaving Tavia’s.

“One day she was walking along the river. A prince was riding his horse nearby. Then he heard a scream. He steered his horse to the direction of the scream and saw flying monkeys attacking the princess.”

Tavia couldn’t hold it in anymore. She burst out laughing. “Flying monkeys? Really?”

Raymond frowned. Then he too began to laugh. “This isn’t working. You’re laughing at everything I say. I’m supposed to be so boring that you fall asleep.”

“Oh please do finish your story!” Tavia taunted.

“The prince saved the princess and they lived happily ever after. The end.” Raymond quickly finished, pulling Tavia’s covers up to her chin.

Tavia frowned. “I’m feeling much better now!”

A thought then occurred to Tavia. Innocently, she looked up at Raymond and gave him her puppy face.

Chuckling, Raymond asked, “Yes, my princess?”

“Can you sing me to sleep?” Tavia asked softly.

Her request once again astounded him. “I don’t think you would want to hear me sing!” He joked.

“Please.” Tavia begged.

Sighing, Raymond clasped his hands together and bit down on his lip. He knew Tavia won’t rest until he does. Finally, he said, “Yes.”

Seeing Tavia’s excited expression, Raymond had to smile. He then closed his eyes and began to sing,

記得當時誰路過  秒針忽然停頓過
氣溫濕度曾驟變太多
記憶不停重疊過 你的表情提示過
愛的 可能是我

想法太亂 幻覺太多
疑 慮很大 直到說不清楚
心算太慢 但仍然算錯
找對人 偏錯過

*直到開始想喜歡我 直到終於不喜歡我
 直到碰上一個  逃避一個
 追不上 躲不過
 直到開始找不到我 直到終於不想找我
 直到你擦身過 才認得我
 彼此也在折磨 像當初*

想 法太亂 直覺對麼
疑慮很大 直到愛不清楚
當這世上 全懷疑我錯
總有人 相信我...

Raymond started off softly and slowly, but after a few lines he sang with so much emotion and he sang so well, that Tavia’s eyes widened as she stared at him singing. She couldn’t believe her ears. His voice was beautiful music to her ears. Tavia was also so surprised that he chose to sing this song. It was a song she loved so much, in fact, it was the song she wanted to learn to play on the piano. She felt her heart beating faster and faster. She didn’t understand this feeling; it was so unfamiliar to her. After a few minutes, he had sung the entire song and he opened his eyes and stared at Tavia. They stared at one another for a good minute and then Raymond cleared his throat.

“I hope I didn’t sound too terrible.” He joked.

“You were incredible.” Tavia breathed.

“Oh, I should check on the congee.” Raymond quickly got up and almost tripped when he ran out the door.

When he sang that song, no thought of Linda came up in his mind. Instead, all he could think of were the moments he had spent with Tavia. From the first day they met to the trip at the cottage, the memories flashed before his eyes. Leaning against the wall, Raymond placed his hand over his chest as he felt his heart. Thump, thump, thump…

- - -

11/08/10 - I tried to make this chapter long & descriptive :)