Chapter 1

Beyond the Clouds

“Can you tell me how many fingers I am holding up?” The strange bald man with a huge, bulging stomach asked.

“Three.”

“Good, good. Open your eyes wide!” The man said cheerfully, shining a bright object into Tavia’s eyes.

“Urgh!” Tavia said, squinting her eyes.

Where am I? She wondered. She looks up at the ceiling where more bright lights shine, and then her surroundings which consisted of white walls, white bed sheets, a white coat… She struggled to get up from lying on her back to get a better look at a young man at the left side of her bed. His image is blurry, but as she blinked her eyes multiple times, she was able to make out a face.

The young man was certainly very handsome, and as she laid her eyes on him, he smiled, with his dimples showing.

“Ga Jeh!”

Huh? Tavia thinks to herself. I’m not his sister. I haven’t even seen him before. Wait…Who am I? Her head starts to pound, and so she lets out a yelp.

“Miss Yeung..Miss Yeung are you alright?” The bald man leans in.

Tavia turns her head to the right to face the bald man and as he leans in she notices the tag on his white coat. “Dr. Au-Yeung.” It reads. Doctor? So I’m in the hospital? But why? All these questions flow through her head, and her head starts to throb in pain.

“She looks like she’s in a lot of pain!” The young man shouts.

“Hm…Miss Yeung. Do you know who you are? What is your first name?” The doctor asks.

Tavia shakes her head; she was tired, and sore all over. She could barely move.

as dry as cotton, she managed to give a weak reply; “I…I don’t know.” She admits. What’s happening? She wants to ask more but she is slowly drowsing into a sleep.

“I’m afraid this is bad news. She has amnesia."

"Amnesia?" The young man shouted, puzzled.

"The incident must have caused her a major head- shake, or because of the tragic incident she had repressed the pain or the shock she had experienced…two years ago.” The doctor says his voice fading as Tavia drifts off into a deep sleep.

- - -

Watching his dear sister sleep peacefully on the hospital bed, Patrick smiles to himself. This is a miracle, he thought. After two years of visiting Tavia everyday and taking care of her in hopes that she would wake up from her coma, she has finally awoken.

This morning when he came to visit her with a new set of Chinese cd’s of a variety of her favorite artists such as Eason, Joey, and Chilam, for her to listen to, he suddenly sensed her fingers moving and her eyes fluttering. Shocked with excitement, Patrick presses the emergency button and Bobby Au-Yeung quickly enters and confirms that Tavia may be waking up from her coma.

However, much to the good news, Tavia had forgotten her past, which may have been a good thing, considering how much she had been through. Unfortunately, Tavia had forgotten everything – including who she was, and of course her younger brother and her only family – Patrick.

Patrick didn’t feel too discouraged, as long as she was okay, and he believed that in time she will be able to remember him. It would be a fresh new start for Tavia as well. Instantly, he thought to call Selena, Tavia’s best friend, and his close friend for the past two years.

---

Stepping out into the airport, Ron Ng looked around in his surroundings. “Where is he?” He mumbled out loud.

A young boy busily playing on his Nintendo Ds walked into Ron without looking. He swiftly glanced up, but did not say anything. Frustrated and extremely tired from his thirteen hour plane ride, Ron burst out, “Hey kid! Watch it! Don’t you have any manners?”

“EXCUSE ME!” A short older woman pushed Ron aside, and held the little boy’s hand.

“Let’s go Lawrence. Some people have NO manners and like to blame little kids when they were the one who clearly wasn’t watching where they were going!” The woman smirked, giving Ron a dirty look.

Ron was about to argue back, when someone held his shoulder from behind. Just as he was about to punch whoever was holding him back, the guy quickly ducked.

“DUDE! Calm down! What’s wrong with you?” Benny Chan, Ron Ng’s childhood best friend yelled.

Instantly, silence filled the air.

Ron lowered his eyes and whispered, “Sorry.” As he turned around, the woman and her son was gone.

Benny sighed, and gave Ron a small punch on the arm. “It’s okay man. Welcome back to Hong Kong. How does it feel to be back…after four years?”

“It hasn’t been four years.” Ron stated.

“Yeah, it doesn’t count the short visitation days during Christmas.” Benny says. “Now, you’re officially moving back!” Benny grinned.

Ron nods, his eyes directed elsewhere.

“Listen man, I know it has been hard for you these past couple of years, and I know you didn’t want to leave Canada, because you think she’s still there. But you have already searched for 2 years; don’t you think it’s time to move on…?” Benny declared.

“Move on? You have no idea what I’ve been through for the past two years, Benny. I still think she’s out there, but since I haven’t had much luck, I’d figure maybe I should try searching in Hong Kong.” Ron growled.

“Okay, okay. But you know Hong Kong is a huge place. And you have got to go find yourself a job too, you know, to pay for the rent. You are not going to live at my place for free!”

“Yes, of course. And I’m not going to give up. I’ll search all my life if I have to. I know she couldn’t have just left me without reason. I just hope she’s alright. I’ll always love her…”

---

Sammul Chan walked through the entrance of the hospital and greeted the nurses and doctors he saw. They all know of him as he visited the hospital often. He walked by Patrick, whom he has seen many times, almost everyday. As their eyes met, they exchanged smiles. Although they were both there everyday visiting a patient, they do not know each other well. Sammul knows that Patrick visits his older sister who happens to be in a coma from the nurses who tend to gossip a lot. Whereas, Patrick knows that Sammul visits his girlfriend Leila, who is fighting her disease. Once in a while, they would ask one another how the other patient is doing.

Sensing his phone vibrating, Sammul picks up. “Hello Benny? Did you pick up Ron? How is he?”

Running in the other direction, Selena sped through the hallways of the hospital. A nurse called after her, but she ignored her. She knows she shouldn’t be running, but she couldn’t wait to see Tavia. As soon as she got the call from Patrick that she had awoken, she was so happy beyond words. Selena and Tavia had gone to the same university in Canada. They were roommates and became best friends. Tavia was the most loyal friend Selena had, and she help her dealt with her family issues which were now all in the past. How much she missed Tavia. Blindly, she ran into Sammul and he dropped his phone.

“Oh my god! I’m so sorry! Sorry!” Selena says.

Sammul bents down to pick up his phone to find that it was broken, and did not turn on.
He frowns, but as he looked up at the poor girl who looked so apologetic, he just shrugged it off.

“It’s okay; I needed a new phone anyway.” He chuckled, walking away.

---

The alarm continued to beep loudly, waking Bosco from his sleep. He tried to ignore it, but it was much too irritating. Annoyed, Bosco moved as far down to the right side of his bed as he could, and stretched his arm, trying to shut the alarm off. Just as he was a few inches away, he hit the off button in time to collapse onto the floor.

“Ow.” He muttered.

As if it was not painful enough, his maid started to come up his room and yelled, “WAKE UP BOSCO! TODAY IS THE FIRST DAY OF WORK AT THE HOSPITAL! BOBBY IS EXPECTING YOU TO BE THERE ON TIME!”

“YEAH YEAH IM AWAKE!” Bosco screams back. He jumps back onto his bed and tries to fall back to sleep.

Suddenly, his cell phone started to ring. “MY GOSH WHO IS CALLING ME! I’M GOING TO BEAT UP WHOEVER THIS IS!” He yells to himself. He gets up and answers the phone without checking the caller id.

“HELLO!” Bosco yelled into the phone.

“Bosco, are you awake yet? You are expected to be at the hospital in 15minutes.” Bobby simply stated, and hangs up.

Bosco widens his eyes at the sound of Bobby’s strict voice, and turns around to look at his clock. 1:35PM.

“Oh no! I’m going to be late!” Bosco shouted, running to the bathroom.