Chapter 9

Beyond the Clouds
“I’m going to the supermarket to get some groceries today.” Tavia mumbled to Patrick.

Patrick didn’t say anything. He got up from the kitchen table and said, “You don’t have to tell me. I’m going to work now.” A few seconds later, he walked out of the apartment.

Tavia sighed. She was hoping he wasn’t still angry about what happened yesterday and everything would be the way it was before. She grabbed her wallet and walked out the door. A moment later, she went outside to have bumped right into Bosco.

“Hey!” Bosco cried pretending to look very surprised to see Tavia.

“Bosco? What are you doing here?” Tavia asked, surprised to see him again.

“Oh, I was just walking around, about to go grocery shopping and all. I never knew you lived here!”

Tavia smiled and nodded. “Don’t you have work today?” She asked, raising her eyebrows.

“Um, no not today.” Bosco lied, touching his eyebrows.

He had in fact taken the day off after he heard about Tavia and the gangster that was searching for her. He hasn’t had any time to visit Tavia ever since he found out her home address, and so he faked sick and he was able to fool Steven into thinking he needed time to rest at home.

“So…Where are you headed?” He asked.

“I’m not sure. I just want some fresh air.”

“Yeah. Hm, I’m actually really hungry. You up for some food?” Bosco asked, praying that she would accept.

“Yeah, sure! Where to?”

“I was thinking this really famous sushi restaurant down the street. It’s really good!”

Tavia nodded. They walked to the restaurant, talking about their lives so far. Tavia found that Bosco was easy to talk to, he paid attention to what she says and asks a lot of questions. She felt comfortable around him.

- - -

“Mmmm. I love sushi!” Tavia cried happily, while stuffing a piece of sashimi into .

“Me too!” Bosco agreed, his smile never leaving his face while he stuffed a huge roll in his mouth.

Tavia watched him as he chewed on the roll, the food bulging out in his cheeks, making him look like a blowfish. She giggled at the sight. Bosco noticed Tavia laughing at him, so he giggled too, but he struggled to keep his mouth shut, almost choking on his rice. Tavia got up and walked around to his seat, patting his back.

“Are you okay?” She asked, between her fits of giggles.

Bosco grabbed his Miso soup and gulped it down. “Sorry about that. Hope I didn’t embarrass you.” He says, as he notices the people sitting around them staring at them.

“Nah, you’re too funny.” Tavia says, walking back to her seat in front of him. “But I have to say, we should stop eating like we’ve just been released from prison!” Tavia laughed.

Bosco burst out laughing. “You’re quite funny yourself.” He winked.

- - -

Ron burst through the doors of the sushi restaurant. “My treat.” He says to both Sammul and Benny. They both laughed in response.

Today it was Benny’s day off from work and Sammul still had a few days to relax, since he had taken many days off from work since Leila’s death. When Benny came back to his apartment after his morning jog, he was surprised to find Sammul and Ron talking and laughing at the kitchen table. Sammul thanked Benny for waking him up by yelling at him, and Ron decided to celebrate this day by treating them both to sushi.

As Ron followed his waiter to his seat, he spotted Tavia, with a guy. He couldn’t see the guy, but his breath was caught in his throat when he saw her laughing so happily. Are they dating? He wondered, suddenly very infuriated. He dashed up to their table and grabbed Tavia by the arm, pulling her up from her seat.

“Hey! What are you doing!” Bosco yelled. Tavia was bewildered, lost in the guy’s eyes. He had a very angry look on his face and his eyes were cold and hard.

“Shut up!” Ron yelled, finally having a good look at Bosco.

Ron smirked. The guy was a weakling, he looked like a kid. Tavia was shaking under Ron’s grip, and he could feel it. Benny and Sammul ran up to Ron.

“Tavia?” Benny gasped, as he saw her.

Sammul’s eyes widened as he heard this. He couldn’t believe the Tavia Ron was searching for so many years were now before his eyes.

Tavia glanced at Benny, shocked. How does he know me? She wondered.

“Why?” Ron asked, tears welling up in his eyes.

He stared right into Tavia’s eyes. All eyes were now on Tavia. She was scared; she didn’t know what was going on. She shook her head, tears welling up in her eyes.

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.” She whispers.

Ron looked at her, surprised. “What do you mean? Why can’t you just tell me that you don’t love me anymore?”

“Love you? I don’t even know you!” Tavia cried, struggling to release her grip from Ron’s. His grip was so hard, it was hurting her.

Bosco notices her wrist was turning red. “Let go of her! You’re hurting her!” He cried.

Ron looked down and released his grip, ashamed. But he was lost, when Tavia had said she didn’t know him. He felt his heart shatter into a million of pieces.

“Tavia, did you know that Ron has been searching for you for two years? And he was still searching for you. How could you say such a thing to him?” Benny butts in.

Tavia looked up at Ron. Is this true? She thought to herself. Is he…my boyfriend? Has he been searching for me while I was in my coma all this time?

Bosco gasped as he heard this. So this guy must be Tavia’s boyfriend. Bosco didn’t really believe this though; he didn’t think Tavia would go for guys like him. But from the hurt look from Ron, he knew they must’ve shared something special.

“Tavia lost her memory.” Bosco explains. “She was in a coma for the past two years. She just recently woke up.”

They all stared at Bosco, and then at Tavia. This was all too much for them to accept. Tavia nodded, unsure what to say or do.

“You…Really don’t remember me?” Ron asked, hurt in his voice.

“Yes.”

He nodded, understanding it all now. It all made sense. Tavia didn’t leave him, like he had known all along.

“Is she…going to be okay?” He asked Bosco.

Bosco nodded. “She may regain her memories.”

Ron nodded, still shaking. “Are you…”

“No. I’m just a friend.” Bosco says, as he was able to read his expression.

“Okay.” Ron turned to look at Tavia, who was upset. She tries to remember Ron, but her head starts to hurt.

“Bosco. My head hurts. I’m going to go home.”

“I’ll walk you home.” Bosco says.

“Wait! Where do you live?” Ron asked Tavia. She looked at him briefly, but looked away as she didn’t want to give her address away to a stranger.

Sammul took hold of Ron’s arm and whispered to him, “Just give her time. At least you know she lives around here too. And that Bosco guy, I’ve seen him around at the hospital. He works there, apparently.”

Ron nodded.

“I think she’ll eventually remember the times you guys spent together. I just think she needs time to calm down, but as of now, I think you should just start fresh and become her friend.” Benny adds, patting Ron on the shoulder.

Ron watched Bosco and Tavia walk out of the restaurant. He was glad he had found Tavia again and he agreed with his friends. She’s safe and that’s all it matters. Even if she doesn’t remember him at all, he will enter her life again, become her friend, and then pursue her – all over again if he has to.

- - -

28/07/10