Chapter 29

Beyond the Clouds

Stumbling her way into her own apartment, Tavia accidentally knocked her knee onto the glass table, as she was about to plop down onto the couch.

A small cut was found on her knee, due to the bump. Rushing into Patrick’s room, Tavia searched for the bandages that Patrick kept so well in his room. His room was clean and organized as always, and as Tavia opened one of the drawers, the bandages appear before her eyes. However, something else caught her eyes; something silver and shiny.

Picking it up with curiosity, Tavia gasped at the silver ring that she held. It wasn’t so much that it was a ring that made her gasp, but it was the fact that she recalled Ron wearing the exact same ring on his right hand. She had always noticed him wearing it, and as she studied the ring, she saw a word engraved inside the ring she was holding. Sitting down on Patrick’s bed, Tavia questioned out loud, “What does TAROstand for?”

---

Walking out onto his apartment balcony, Raymond leaned onto the rail while holding onto his hot cup of tea. It was chilly tonight, and he shivered in his pajamas. Taking a sip of his tea, Raymond glanced up into the stars that shone brightly above. The night sky sparked some of his memories; the day he had an argument with Linda at the mall, and he ran off to the harbor, with Tavia accompanying him. They admired the stars above; the memory brought a smile to his lips. And then there was that time with Linda…

[ FLASHBACK ]

“Raymond, look! It’s a shooting star!”  Linda cried, pointing at the bright object flying across the sky.

Raymond turned to look at where her finger was pointing to, and indeed it was, a shooting star.

“Oh my gosh! This is my first time seeing one! Make a wish! Hurry, make a wish!” Linda cried happily, as she shut her eyes instantly, and clamped her hands together as if she was praying.

Smiling, she mouthed a couple of words to her herself, and a minute later she glanced up, to see Raymond grinning at her.

“What? Is there something on my face?” Linda asked, blushing.

Raymond chuckled, as he stared at her. She’s so childish and innocent, he thought.

Taking a hold of her hand, he asked her softly, “So what did you wish for?”

Slipping her hand off his playfully, Linda turned away from him. “I’m not telling you!” She teased.

“Aw…Why not?” Raymond pouted, turning Linda around.

“Not until you tell me what you wished for first!” Linda said, smiling.

Raymond smiled. He was too caught up staring at her, that even the shooting star above did not capture his full attention.

Linda frowned, “You didn’t make a wish did you.”  

“That’s because your beauty does not compare to the stars above.”  Raymond answered.

Linda blushed, her eyes meeting his. “I wished that we would never be apart.”  Linda whispered.

Raymond chuckled softly. Most people would say that it was a silly wish, but not him. It was a wish he believed will be granted within time.

[ END OF FLASHBACK ]

---

Seated at the bench, Tavia was at the harbor she was at, earlier that day. Glancing to her right, she waited impatiently for someone…

Bosco got out of his car and jogged his way to the harbor. As soon as he got the phone call from Tavia, who sounded weak and upset, he didn’t have the heart to tell her he didn’t want to see her. Instead, he agreed to meet her at the harbor. Putting his feelings aside, he instantly ran out of his house, his mind worrying about Tavia.

Scanning his eyes around the area, he felt his heart ache at the sight of Tavia sitting on one of the benches. She was crying quietly to herself. Slowly walking up to her, he reached into his pocket and took out a piece of tissue.

Sitting down beside her, Tavia looked up, to see Bosco offering her a piece of tissue.

“Thank you, Bosco.” Tavia said, taking a hold of the tissue and gently wiping her tears with it. “Thank you for coming…” She continued.

“Tavia…What happened?” Bosco asked concern in his voice. “Does it have anything to do with Raymond?” He added.

“Bosco…” Tavia began, unable to hold back anymore as she glanced at him, wondering how he knew.

 “I’m so confused! I…I’m in love with Raymond, but Ron! What about Ron? He would be completely devastated to know! Yet, I know that he deserves to know the truth about us…And then yet today, we had a talk. Ron told me about our past…It was…we shared so much more than I imagined. Then again, we’ve been together for three years, of course we’ve been through a lot. So what do I do?” Tavia cried, stumbling upon her words.

Bosco nodded, yet in his mind he questioned, what about us? Don’t I mean anything to you....?

“But that’s not it, Bosco! Now I doubt whether or not Raymond loves me…”  Tavia sobbed.

“Why would he not?” Bosco asked.

“I saw Raymond and ex-girlfriend Linda today. They had broke up, but it was really all just a misunderstanding…Linda still loved Raymond…and when she asked him whether or not he would give her another chance…he didn’t say anything…”

Tavia managed a soft chuckle. “Of course…What was I thinking…Of course he still loves her. After all, they’ve been together for three years also…And he’s willing to…to give all he has to her…Their sacrifices for one another really proves their love for one another…”

Bosco didn’t really understand what Tavia was trying to say, but he felt her pain. Placing his arm over her shoulder, he lightly embraced her. Tavia leaned against Bosco, her head on his shoulders.

“Tavia…It’s okay…Don’t cry now…” Bosco whispered, patting her lightly on the shoulder.

“It’s okay…because I’ll always be here for you.”

---

Completely frustrated, Raymond threw his phone on his desk.

“Whoa Raymond, what’s up with you these days?”  Jack asked, as he passed by his cubicle.

Ignoring Jack, Raymond sulked in his chair. Why hasn’t she called me these days? Why can’t I reach her? Is she avoiding me? But why? Ever since he had met up with Linda again, he hasn’t been able to reach Tavia. He was worried about her, yet he has been stuck in the station for the past couple of days.

Apparently, Kevin Cheng has made his appearance the other day. Two weeks has passed already, yet they were not able to gather enough information to find him. But because of his unexpected appearance, they knew that he was hiding around their area. Roger had decided that they hold the case for another two weeks.

“Raymond? You alright there?” Shirley asked, placing a cup of coffee in front of him.

Raymond glanced up at Shirley. “Yeah, I’m fine, thanks.” 

Just then, Roger walked out of his office.

“Someone has reported that they just saw Kevin Cheng and the gang. This calls for immediate action.”  Roger said his tone serious.