The Perks of Being a Parent

The Perks of Being a Parent

Jessica sat on the couch, checking her phone every 30 seconds to see if Tiffany would text her back. Even though the red head had just left for work 5 minutes ago, Jessica couldn’t help but feel a tad bit jumpy. Ever since Tiffany had come home in the middle of the night the other day, she couldn’t shake the feeling of her discontent. Something had happened that night, she just didn’t know what it was. Ever since that night, Tiffany had been a little distant.

Could she have gotten drunk and did something stupid? No. Tiffany was never a drinker.

Could she have gone streaking? Possibly. Yuri has been trying to make her wife do that for quite some time now, but Tiffany had never given in, no matter how many pink items Yuri had bribed her with.

Could she have played spin the bottle and kissed another girl had kissed Tiffany on the cheek? Jessica’s blood boiled by the very thought of someone touching her wife. No. Tiffany wouldn’t let anyone kiss her cheek like that. Her body was reserved for Jessica and Jessica only. No one else.

An unknown smile crept on Jessica’s face. Their 25th anniversary is three days away and she couldn’t wait to see what Tiffany was going to plan for them. It was usually something random, but cute at the same time. She closed her eyes and remembered what Tiffany had done for them on their very first wedding anniversary.

“Babe, when will you be home?” Tiffany pouted over the phone.

“Tiff, I’ll be home any minute now. I just had to grade a few papers at school and the board meeting ran a little bit longer than I expected.” Jessica giggled.

“Where are you now?” Tiffany asked.

“I’m still at the school parking lot.”

“Ugh!” Tiffany grunted in frustration.

“Did she just hang up on me?” Jessica checked her phone, “That actually hung up on me.”

Jessica threw her phone in her purse and drove to their house, which they had shared together. She smiled, knowing that Tiffany would be there waiting for her to come home.

When she finally got home, she saw that Tiffany was nowhere to be found.

“Unbelievable. First rushes me. Then, she has the nerve to hang up on me. And now she isn’t even home! The nerve of that kid!” Jessica threw her purse on the couch and sat at the dining table.

“I hate her.” Jessica grumbled. “Tiffany Hwang, I hate you.”

“Now I know you don’t mean that, Jessie.” Tiffany wrapped her arms around Jessica and pulled her close and inhalse her wife’s scent.

“I do hate you.” Jessica said, rather coldly.

“Not on our first year being married, Sica.” Tiffany pouted. “You can hate me tomorrow, but you have to love me tonight.”

“What makes you think I’ll do that?”

Tiffany gave her a heart-stopping eye-smile as she pulled away. She kissed her wife on the forehead and turned off the lights.

The ceiling suddenly lit up with the print, “I <3 JESSIE” in the form of small stars. There was a small picnic set on the floor with a woven basket and a blanket.

“How did I miss this coming inside?” Jessica asked as she saw what Tiffany had done to their living room.

Tiffany wrapped her arms around Jessica, making her wife press her back against in chest. “I know how distracted you get.” The red head chuckled and rocked back and forth with her wife still in her arms.

“I love you.”

“I love you too.” Tiffany kissed her, “But I’m hungry.”

Tiffany pulled away and led Jessica to the blanket. Jessica sat on Tiffany’s lap and started feeding her.

“Can I ask you something?” Jessica said.

“Ask away, my wife.”

Jessica grinned at the last word, “Why didn’t we just go to a regular picnic, like regular people?”

“Because I know you wanted a picnic under the stars.”

“I love picnics either way.”

Tiffany shook her head, “I remember on our very first date how much you were complaining about how the city is ruining the beauty of the night because with the lights and pollution, you weren’t able to see the stars at night anymore.”

“You  remembered that?”

“Of course I do. Why wouldn’t I?”

“Umma?” Luna waved her hands in front of her Umma.

“What are you doing home so early?” Jessica said, after finally snapping out of her trance.

“It’s a half day today. Did you not want me home because I have no problem staying out a little while longer, I just need some money.”

Jessica smacked her upside the head, “You are not getting any more money. We just gave you an allowance a week ago, how can you already be out of money?”

Luna shrugged, “You spend it on food.”

“What kind of food have you been spending it on? We gave you $40 last week, you should still have at least $25 left.”

There was a knock on the door.

“I’ll get it.” Luna said, getting up, “That’ll be $20.”

Jessica rolled her eyes as her daughter got up and walked to the front door.

“Umma, it’s Auntie Yuri and Ms. Im.”

“You can call me Auntie Yoona.” Yoona said, blushing.

“Auntie Yoona, why are you dating my Aunt Yuri?” Luna asked.

“Yah. What kind of question is that? It’s because I’m beautiful.” Yuri slapped her niece’s shoulder.

“Whatever helps you sleep at night, Old Lady.”

“What kind of kids have you been raising nowadays, Sica?” Yuri pretended to cry on Yoona’s shoulder. “Yoong! Luna hates me! I think it’d be best if we don’t adopt anymore. Just call it all off bef—“

“You’re adopting?!” Luna asked.

“Why do you care?” Yuri crossed her arms looked away.

“You guys aren’t even married yet, why would you wanna adopt already?” Jessica asked.

Yoona shrugged, “Well, neither of us want to get married, but we do want a family.”

“Because that makes so much more sense.” Luna rolled her eyes.

“We didn’t expect you to understand. Where’s the ert?” Yuri asked.

“She’s still at work and she hasn’t been answering her phone. I’m starting to get worried.” Jessica frowned and threw her phone on the couch.

“Maybe she lost it. You know how forgetful Appa can be.” Luna said.

Jessica shook her head, “If she did lose it, she would’ve told me already.”

“Then she probably doesn’t realize that she did lose it.” Yoona said.

“Yeah, you should just ask her when she gets home.” Yuri nodded.

The three friends and Luna chatted some more, it was more like Jessica and Yoona talking. Luna was buried deep in her thoughts about what had happened the night her Appa came home. She was in tears and the car had been parked in front of the house for more than an hour. Meanwhile, Yuri was also occupied in her own thoughts. Her past had finally caught up to her and she couldn’t stand the thought of dragging Yoona and Tiffany into it. Even though she’s done some things in her past that she wasn’t particularly proud of, Tiffany stood by her. Dragging her more into her world would not be good for Tiffany, Jessica or their family.

Tiffany was coming home from work when she realized that she had not texted or called Jessica all day. She face palmed her forehead and dumped everything out of her bag. But to her discontent, she couldn’t find her phone.

“That last time I had it with me was in my hand when Taeyeon…” Tiffany stopped, “Oh dear, erted Goddess.”