The Perks of Being a Parent

The Perks of Being a Parent

“Unnie! Hurry up!” Sulli shouted from her room, taking only what she needed for the week.

“I’m almost done!” Victoria shouted from her room.

Luna and Tiffany were patiently waiting for the two sisters to finish packing. Luna was glaring at her Appa, while her Appa was smiling at her daughter.

“Yes, my darling?” Tiffany showed her eye-smile to her daughter.

“Don’t ‘yes, my darling’ me. You know full well what you did this morning.” Luna crossed her arm and glared at Tiffany some more.

Tiffany leaned back on the couch, playing with the ends of her curled hair, “I don’t know what you’re talking about, my daughter.”

“You completely embarrassed me in front of my friends at school! What got into you?” The teenager threw her hands in the air and buried her face in the closest pillow.

“C’mon. You loved it when I did that.” Tiffany poked the girl on the side of her stomach.

“That was when I was 8! I’m almost 16 now. Believe it or not, I’m growing up, Appa, and there’s nothing you can do to change that.”

Then, reality finally hit Tiffany like a truck. Her daughters were getting older. She and Jessica were getting older. Krystal was soon about to be engaged to Amber. Luna was already showing signs of maturity and interests in dating. Tiffany refused to believe it. Where had the time gone; even she herself had no idea where.

“Appa?” Luna waved her hand in front of Tiffany’s face.

Tiffany suddenly engulfed Luna in a tight hug, “Please never grow up. Stay 3 years old forever.”

“Appa, do you realize that you’re 12 years too late?” Luna looked up and struggled to get out of her father’s embrace.

“Shh… No you’re not 15. You’re still 3 years old and Krystal is still 12 years old.” Tiffany said in a soft and gentle voice, like how she use to with Krystal and Luna growing up.

“What’s wrong, Appa?” Luna started to get worried as the tears started to form in her father’s eyes.

“I’m old!” Tiffany suddenly burst into tears.

“Luna, what did you do to your Appa?” Sulli asked.

“I’m old!” Tiffany wailed.

“Age is just a number, Mrs. Hwang, besides, you have the mental abilities of a 5 year old.” Victoria said bluntly.

“Really?” Tiffany sniffed.

“Really.” The three girls said together. There was no doubt that Tiffany’s mental age was a 5 year olds, a very erted 5 year old at that.

Tiffany wiped her tears, “You guys really think so?”

“We know so.” Victoria rubbed the woman’s back to comfort her.

After comforting Tiffany for a few minutes, the four of them packed Sulli and Victoria’s bags in the trunk and drove in silence.

“How was school you guys?” Tiffany asked, trying to make conversation.

“I got hit in the face with a ball in P.E today.” Hearing Luna’s words, Tiffany immediately pulled her and checked Luna’s face for signs of bruises.

“Why didn’t you tell me sooner?” Tiffany flicked her daughter’s forehead while still checking her face.

“I’m fine, no bruises, scratches or eternal bleeding.” Luna gave her Appa a thumbs up.

Tiffany went back to the driver’s seat and continued driving, “It’s almost dinner time. Where did you guys wanna eat?”

“That one sandwhich place right next to your company!” Luna smiled.

“What about you guys?” Tiffany asked the two sisters.

“I’m fine with whatever.” Victoria said, Sulli nodded in agreement.

“Yes!” Luna clapped her hands in delight.

After they ordered enough food for the entire family, they drove back to the house.

“Sicababy! We’re home. Sul and Vic are here too!” Tiffany shouted, as she made her way to the kitchen and placed the food on the dining table.

“Welcome home.” Jessica kissed Luna on the forehead and gave Sulli and Victoria a hug.

“What about me?” Tiffany sulked.

“I was getting there.” Jessica rolled her eyes and kissed her wife.

“How was your day?” Tiffany asked unpacking their dinner and placing them on the table.

“It was interesting.” Jessica unwrapped her sandwhich and took a bite out of it.

“What happened?” Sulli asked, slowly unwrapping her sandwhich.

“You know, Ms. Im?” Jessica asked the teenagers.

“Aunt Yuri’s girlfriend?” Luna asked.

“Since when did Aunt Yuri get a girlfriend?” Sulli asked.

“Since about a couple of weeks ago.” Victoria said.

“Well, Yuri and I were talking today and she said that Yoona might just be the one.”

Tiffany choked on her sanwhich, “Since when was she ever serious about a relationship?!”

“My thoughts exactly. But apparently Ms. Im is one special lady.” Jessica patted Tiffany’s back.

“We’re home.” Krystal called from the front door.

“What took you guys so long?” Jessica asked.

“We couldn’t decide which one I should get.” Krystal shrugged and started eating her sandwhich.

“Which one did you end up buying?” Tiffany asked, going to the fridge and poured herself some juice.

“I got the purple one.”

“What?!” Tiffany did a spit take on everyone sitting at the table.

“YAH!” Jessica shouted.

“APPA!” Krystal and Luna shouted.

“Ewww….” Amber, Victoria and Sulli said.

“Why did you get purple? Why didn’t you get pink?!” Tiffany scolded her daughter.

“Appa, aren’t you getting a little too old for the color pink?” Luna asked.

“You are never too old to love pink!” Tiffany flicked her youngest daughter on the nose.

“Leave her alone.” Jessica simply stated and Tiffany was already apologizing to Luna.

“Did you know that this girl got hit in the face with a ball in P.E today and didn’t bother to tell me?” Tiffany pointed at Luna.

“What’s the big deal? It’s not like she’s dead.” Jessica shrugged.

“She could be dead! I mean, it could’ve been a basketball or a soccer ball or a dodge ball or a foot ball or even a golf ball! She could’ve bled to death!” Tiffany started naming off balls (lol xD) and counting them with her fingers.

Jessica rolled her eyes at her wife’s over-protective attitude and just continued eating.

“Yah, don’t ignore me! Luna seriously could’ve gotten hurt!”

“You’re too over-protective, Appa.” Krystal said, munching on her sandwhich.

“Since when?!” Tiffany defended.

Jessica rolled her eyes. She knew that Tiffany was more than willing to go that extra mile for her and their two daughters. When Krystal fell off the swings when she was in elementary school and had called Tiffany in tears. Tiffany literally dropped everything and rushed straight to the school. Tiffany had done the same thing with Luna. She was in middle school and she had sprained her ankle playing dodge ball, Tiffany was at her hand and foot until she was able to walk again. She even took days off from work to take care of Luna. When Jessica was sick with a small cold, Tiffany was at her beck and call and stayed by her side until flu season was over and done with.

Jessica never knew what made Tiffany the over-protective Appa that she was today. Even when they dated, she was still that over-protective. But Jessica didn't care. She loved Tiffany because of that. Tiffany being over-protective is one of the reasons to why Jessica loved Tiffany so much.

“Since, forever.” Jessica wiped the mayonnaise off of Tiffany’s cheek.

“Am I really that over-protective?” Tiffany asked Sulli and Victoria who just nodded.

“They’re not even part of the family and they still think you’re over-protective.” Krystal pointed out.

“What have I done that was so over-protective?” Tiffany asked.

“You gave Sulli knee pads when she was at a swim meet.” Luna said.

"What if she dove too fast and scraped her knee at the bottom of the pool?" Tiffany challenged.

"The pool was 10 feet deep." Luna countered.

“You gave Vic a box of condoms for her 16th birthday.” Krystal said.

“That was nasty.” Victoria shivered.

“You can never be too careful!” Tiffany defended.

“When will Victoria get ? She’s always with Sulli and Luna.” Krystal asked.

“When Vic walks alone at night.”

“Since when has she ever done that?”

“I….don’t know… But, when a does come after you, you can just tell them if they do wanna you, they have to use a . And if they say they don’t have one, you give them one. That way, you won’t get pregnant.” Tiffany told Vicotira.

“But I’d still get .” Victoria pointed out.

“But not pregnant.” Tiffany smiled.