The Perks of Being a Parent

The Perks of Being a Parent

“Spit.” Yuri said when she looked at her watch.

Tiffany spat in the sink and started brushing her teeth again. “I don’t understand why she kissed me like that.”

“I’m surprised too.”

“What’s that suppose to mean?”

“Spit.” Yuri ordered, “I mean, out of the group, she decides to kiss you.”

Tiffany spat in the sink again, then started brushing her teeth once more, “If Jessie was here, Taeyeon would’ve kissed her, not me.”

“I’m just saying, out of all the people in the group, she kissed you.” Yuri shrugged.

“How long have I been brushing my teeth?” Tiffany asked, spitting the white foam out of .

“2 hours.” Yuri checked the time.

“I can still taste Taeyeon’s tongue.” Tiffany started brushing her teeth again.

“When do you plan on telling Jessica about this?”

“Never. She doesn’t need to find out about this. It will only stay between the two of us.”

“What if Taeyeon tells her? What are you gonna do?

“Taeyeon’s not gonna tell her because she will never see Jessie. I don’t even think she knows what Jessie looks like.” Tiffany spat in the sink again and gargled some mouth wash.

“Yah. Stop brushing your teeth, it’s gonna turn so white that it’ll actually blend in your skin.” Yuri scolded.

“I’m trying to get Taeyeon’s taste out of my mouth! Leave me alone will ya!?” Tiffany snapped.

“Are you sure you don’t want anyone to tell Jessica this? You two haven’t kept secrets from each other since you started dating.” Yuri asked.

“I’m positive. Jessica has a lot of things on her mind right now, the last thing she needs is something that isn’t even important.”

“Tippany, you kissed another woman.”

“She kissed me and it meant nothing. It’s not like I actually enjoyed it.”

“Seriously, think about it. How bad will it look to Jessica if she actually did find out from someone else that you kissed another woman? It’s gonna seem like you’re trying to hide it.”

“I am trying to hide it! And the only person who knows is you. So don’t say anything to Jessica, got it?”

“Well… I kinda told..”

“Who? Tell me who, Yuri.” Tiffany took a threatening step forward.

“Sunny, Sooyoung, and Yoona.”

“Yuri! I can’t believe you!”

“Ppany! You really expect me to keep something this big all to myself?”

“Yes.”

“Are you crazy?!”

Tiffany hushed her voice and pulled Yuri close, “I kept your secret, why can’t you keep this one?”

“I’m sorry, Tippany. I really am, but what else could I do? You know that I can’t lie to Yoona, same goes for Sunny and Sooyoung.”

“What do you mean you can’t? I’ve been lying to my two best friends and my wife for years because of you!” Tiffany snapped.

“I’m sorry! I had no intention of telling them! It just sort of slipped out!” Yuri pleaded, “Please don’t tell anyone about what I did.”

“Relax. I’m the only who knows.”

“Not even Jessica?”

Tiffany shook her head, “Not even her.”

“Why haven’t you told her?”

“Because friends have to watch each other’s backs.” Tiffany gave her a small smile.

Yuri frowned, “I’m sorry. I shouldn’t have told them.”

Tiffany shook her head, “Just make sure that Jessica doesn’t find out, alright?”

Yuri nodded. “Spit.”

Tiffany spat in the sink.

“Dinner!” Taeyeon’s voice rang in the room.

Tiffany cringed when she heard Taeyeon’s voice. Yuri solemnly looked at her and pulled her to a reassuring hug.

When the two friends came downstairs, the table had already been set. Sunny, Sooyoung and Yoona were all eyeing Tiffany with accusing looks. Tiffany hung her head down and sat down at the farthest end of the table, unknowingly sitting next to Taeyeon.

“Eat up, guys!” Taeyeon smiled and placed the plate in front of them and took a seat next to Tiffany.

“Everything looks good!” Yoona smiled, “Thank you for the meal.”

“I hope you guys like it, I made it special.” Taeyeon caressed Tiffany’s smooth thigh underneath the table, her hand creeping dangerously closer to the middle of her legs.

“Stop.” Tiffany grabbed Taeyeon’s hand and stood up, quickly stepping away from her.

“What was she doing?” Sooyoung asked.

“She tried touching me in places only Jessica is allowed to touch!” Tiffany accused.

All eyes were at Taeyeon.

“I need to go.” Tiffany ran up to her room and stuffed everything in her bag and shoved everything in her trunk. “I’m sorry guys, but I’m taking the car, I can’t wait long enough for a cab, not at this hour.” Tiffany took the car keys out of Sunny’s purse and bolted out of Taeyeon’s front door.

Tiffany slammed on the accelerator and sped all the way to her house. She wiped the tears that were threatening to fall and tried to keep her vision from getting too blurry. The red head finally sighed and stopped on the side of the road.

A shaky breath escaped her lips as she rested her forehead on the steering wheel. Tears started to stain the steering wheel. Her silent cries, turned into screaming, yelling and cursing at the world. She slammed her fists on the steering wheel and cried even harder.

When her cries finally subsided and she felt like she was calm enough to keep on driving, she started the car and drove back to the freeway. After a 6-hour car ride or so of driving, she finally arrived at the front of her house. The red head, sat in the car for the longest time, not wanting to face Jessica.

“APPA!” Krystal and Luna shouted in the car.

“What the--!” Tiffany cursed as she jumped in her seat, making her head hit the ceiling.

“Are you alright, Appa?” Luna asked.

“Yeah, you seem out of it, even more than Umma.” Krystal poked Tiffany’s cheek.

“How’d you two get in there anyway? ”

“Well, the doors weren’t locked.” Krystal shrugged.

“What’s wrong, Appa? Omo. Have you been crying?” Luna leaned over Tiffany’s shoulder and took a closer look at her Appa.

“I haven’t been crying, I just haven’t been getting enough sleep.”

“You were only there for a day and a half.” Luna said.

“And that is a day and a half longer away from your mother. I just missed her.” Tiffany said sincerely.

“You missed Umma so much that you drove for 6-hours straight in the middle of the night?” Luna asked with her eyes wide in surprise.

“Why not?”

“Nothing.” Krystal said.

“What are you two doing up so late anyway?”

“We’re always up this late on a weekend, besides, Unnie and Umma just got back from dress shopping. She looks really pretty in her wedding dress, Appa.” Luna commented.

“She looks beautiful in anything.” Tiffany kissed her soon-to-be married daughter on the forehead.

Tiffany and her daughters walked back inside the house and chatted about random things. They walked in the kitchen and Tiffany made them hot chocolate.

“How long has she been asleep?” Tiffany asked, looking at a sleeping Seungyeon on the floor.

“We tried to make her sleep on the couch, but she said that since she was an employee that she should sleep on the floor.” Luna said, sipping her drink.

Tiffany slowly made her way to Seungyeon and gently shook her, “C’mon. Just because you’re working for us doesn’t mean we don’t count you, Nicole or Taecyeon as family. So please, make yourself comfortable.” Tiffany gave her a gentle smile.

Seungyeon sleepily nodded and move on the couch, “Thank you, Mrs. Hwang.”

“Goodnight, Seungie.” Tiffany tucked her in and kissed her forehead. “Well, I’m going to go sleep with your mother now. Ahuehuehue.”

“Oh God, Appa!” Her two daughters gagged as Tiffany ran up the stairs.

At the top of the stairs, Tiffany stopped running and took her time walking to the bedroom that she shared with Jessica. Her fingertips trembled when they made contact with the cold, hard doorknob. She held her breath as she crept in the bedroom.

She sadly smiled when she saw her one and only still awake at this time of the day.

“Did we wake you up?” Tiffany asked.

Jessica shook her head, “I haven’t been able to sleep without being in your arms.”

The red head laid beside her wife and held her in her arms, “I’m here now. I hated being apart from you. Let’s just go to bed and forget that I ever left.”