The Perks of Being a Parent

The Perks of Being a Parent

Amber woke up with a love struck grin on her face. Even though Tiffany refused to let her and Krystal sleep in the same room, she was still happy. Not once in her life has she ever seen a couple like Jessica and Tiffany and has never met a family who was as close as the Hwang-Jung household.

When she opened the bedroom door, the smell of bacon, eggs, and pancakes attacked her face. She can hear Luna’s music blasting in her room; Jessica and Krystal bickering about the A/C; and Tiffany flipping pancakes and cooking the bacon and eggs while singing. This was nothing like her family back at home.

“Good morning!” Krystal jumped into Amber’s arms and kissed her cheek.

“Good morning, world!” Luna shouted from the top of the stairs and made her way down the stairs by sliding on the stairs case.

“Yah. How many times have I told you never to do that?” Tiffany flicked some pancake mix in Luna’s face.

“But yesterday you did that with me.”

“Shhh!” Tiffany covered Luna’s mouth, “Amber is here and I wanna make it look like I’m a good Appa.”

Jessica rolled her eyes at her wife and went back to eating her breakfast, “How’d you sleep, Amber?”

“I slept just fine, Mrs. Jung.” Amber’s smiled got wider when Tiffany placed her breakfast on the table.

“Just fine?” Tiffany asked, “Not even good or comfortable?”

“I slept so fine that it was comfortably good.” Amber said quickly.

Tiffany showed her eye-smile, “That’s good. What about you, Luna? Don’t you have to get ready for school soon?”

Luna snorted, “No one ever goes to school on a Saturday, Appa.”

“I was just making sure. Gosh. Kids these days, right Sica?” Tiffany snapped her newspaper and crossed her legs and started doing her daily crossword.

“You need a pen to do your crossword.” Jessica handed her a pen, not forgetting to steal a kiss.

“I’M HERE! Bow down to me peasants!” A voice called in the front door.

“Run! This is not a drill. This is not a drill! I repeat! Not a drill!” Tiffany took Jessica’s hand and made a run for their garden. Luna ran into the pantry while Krystal took a confused Amber’s hand and made a run for the hidden room underneath their stairs.

“Where is everyone?” The voice asked.

“Hmm… breakfast still hot. Pancakes half eaten. Juice still cold.” The person took a deep breath, “Game on.”

“What’s going on?” Amber asked.

“Shhh!” Krystal shushed her, “I’ll explain when Aunt Yuri finds us.”

“Yul? What’s going on?” Another voice asked.

“Who the hell is that?” Tiffany asked.

“Shh!” Jessica flicked her forehead.

“Let’s hope Luna is alright.” Tiffany prayed, hoping for her youngest’s safety.

“AUNT YUL! CHARGE!!” A sudden battle cry was heard echoing in the house.

“LUNA!!” Yuri’s battle cry was heard shortly after.

“Oh, no. She can’t do it by herself, Sica. She’s too young!” Tiffany panicked, but was stopped by Jessica.

“Listen to me, Tiff, it’s too late for her.” Jessica cupped her wife’s cheeks and kissed her forehead.

“Man down, man down!” Krystal shouted and dashed head on for Yuri.

“Retreat!  Retreat!” Yuri shouted. Her footsteps were light and fast.

“AUNT YUL!!”

“I NEED BACK UP!” Yuri shouted.

The doors suddenly busted open.

“Game on.” A tall skinny girl and a short blonde said.

“She has back up! Sica, we have to go now!” Tiffany didn’t wait for Jessica to stop her.

“Ugh.” Jessica grunted and ran after Tiffany.

“My turf, my house, Sunny, Sooyung.” Tiffany gave them a look.

“That’s the same thing.” Sunny said, giving the same look back.

Suddenly, Krystal’s battle cry sounded in the room.

“Now!” Jessica shouted and tackled Sooyoung, dragging Sunny along with her.

Tiffany dragged Sunny and Sooyoung to the couch, “Damn zombies.”

“I lost.” Yuri kept muttering.

“Luna! How dare you fight Yuri. You scared the daylights out of me!” Tiffany scolded her youngest.

“I’m sorry, Appa.” Luna apologized.

“Next time, hide with Umma and I, arraso?” Luna smiled and nodded.

“I see we were interrupting a meal.” Yuri sighed as she sat herself down on the nearest char.

“Yah, get off. That’s Amber’s chair.” Tiffany shooed Yuri off.

“Next time, I’m siding with Ppany and Sica.” Sunny took a swig of the juice and wiped with the back of her hand.

“What just happened?” Amber asked, looking at the family surrounding the table.

“We just won.” Tiffany shrugged.

“Oh! I want you guys to meet my girlfriend!” Krystal smiled. “Aunt Yul, Aunt Bunny, and Aunt Youngie, this is Amber, my girlfriend.”

“Nice to finally meet you!” Sooyoung shook Amber’s hand.

“We’ve been hearing so much about you!” Yuri patted Amber’s back.

“Please take care of our Krysie.” Sunny smiled.

“Oh yeah! I forgot all about my girlfriend! I’ll be right back.” Yuri smiled and made a run for the front door.

“Is this what you guys normally do every day?” Amber asked, going back to eating her breakfast.

“Only when our aunts come to visit.” Luna smiled eating her bacon. “I love your cooking, Appa.”

Tiffany gave her an eye-smile, “And I love you, my little Moonshine.”

“What about me, Appa?” Krystal piped up.

“I love you too, Krsy.” Tiffany smiled and kissed her girlfriend’s cheek.

“Guess what guys!” Sooyoung smiled while stuffing her face with pancakes.

“Yah, don’t talk with your mouth full.” Jessica scolded.

Sooyoung swallowed and smiled, “Sunny and I are going on vacation for a week. So we need a favor.”

“What do you need? Anything at all.” Tiffany asked.

“We need you to watch Sulli and Victoria.” Sunny smiled.

“Not a problem. We have enough food to last these kids a year.” Jessica smiled.

There was so much love around the table. Amber had never experience anything like this. She didn’t realize that she had stayed this silent till someone had gently nudged her.

“You aight, Ambro?” Tiffany asked, trying to sound cool and hip.

“Oh yeah, I’m fine.” Amber laughed.

“Gotta stay hip.” Tiffany pointed to her hip and skipped up the stairs.

“Aish. I swear, she will be the early death of me.” Jessica rolled her eyes and followed her wife up the stairs to change for the day.

“Guys! You still haven’t met my girlfriend!” Yuri shouted.

“She’s probably too pretty for you anyway!” Tiffany shouted, “Give us 5 minutes. Sica and I still have to change!”

“Omo. Annyong, Ms. Im.” Luna bowed 90 degrees when she saw her Korean teacher enter her house with her Aunt Yuri.

“You two know each other?” Yuri asked.

Luna nodded, “She’s my Hangul teacher.”

“Omo! It’s such a small world after all!” Yuri clapped her hands once in delight.

A few minutes later, Tiffany and Jessica made their way down the stairs hand in hand.

“Ms. Im?” Tiffany asked surprised.

“Oh good. You already know each other.” Yuri smiled.

Meanwhile, Jessica was giving silent death glares at Ms. Im.

“Sica, will you stop that? You’re going to scare this beautiful creature away and Yul will be forever alone once again.” Tiffany said shamelessly.

“Yah! I’ve had previous girlfriends before.” Yuri crossed her arms.

“Yes, but none of them are just as pretty as Ms. Im over here.” Tiffany gestured.

“Please, call me, Yoona.” Yoona blushed.

“So, Yoona,” Tiffany said slowly leaning in, looking like a ert, “What do you do for a living?”

“Idiot.” Yuri smacked her forehead, “I introduced you to all my girlfriends and now you decide to be a ert?”

“I can’t help it! Sica denied me of my morning needs today.” Tiffany pouted.

“Yah! You don’t say things like that in public!” Jessica smacked her shoulder.

“But Sica, when did family ever count as public?”

“Aish. Just don’t say anything else about our private life.”

“But we don’t really have much of a private life to begin with.”

“Yeah, you guys are on each other like bunnies 24/7.” Yuri supported Tiffany.

“We don’t talk about this with Luna’s teacher in the room!” Jessica shouted and buried her face in Tiffany’s chest to hide her embarrassed face.