The Perks of Being a Parent

The Perks of Being a Parent

 

Tiffany stood in front of the front door, hesitating to go inside her own house.

The light brown door seems to tower over her more than usual these days. The red head was unsure if it was because she had been jumpy ever since she had gotten out of the car because Taeyeon has her cellular device or Taeyeon had kissed her and her wife has yet to find out. The stressed seemed to pile on since their 25th wedding anniversary was just three days away.

Thoughts spun in Tiffany’s head. She sat on their patio arm chair and massaged her temple for a couple of seconds. The more she tried relieve her stress, the stressful she became.

Tiffany had always faced her problems head on. Not once in her life had she ever put up with someone’s crap and she had always stood up for herself. Herself. It seems like whenever the red head had problems, she always got herself out of them because she was the only one involved in her problems. But this problem was different. Jessica. Luna. Krystal. Sunny. Sooyoung. Yuri. They are all involved in her problem.

This wasn’t the time to be selfish and the woman knew it. If she came clean to Jessica, she had already assumed the worse possible scenario. If Taeyeon had texted Jessica within the day Tiffany had rushed out of her house, she had already assumed the worse in that too. If Jessica somehow found out through Sunny, Sooyoung or Yuri, she had already assumed the worse in that scenario too. Millions, if not billions, of scenarios had constantly been playing through the red head’s mind and in every single scenario had ended with Jessica filing a divorce the very next day.

She wasn’t ready to lose her Ice Queen.

The last thing she needed was Yuri.

“Tiffany?”

“Oh.” Tiffany looked up and saw none other than her best friend.

“Why are you crying?” She knelt in front of Tiffany.

“Nothing. The stress has been getting to me.” Tiffany wiped the tears away with the back of her hand.

“Is it that Taeyeon thing?”

“Yeah, Yuri. It is about the Taeyeon thing.”

Yuri gave her one short nod and rested her forearms on the beam of the front patio, “I’m sorry.”

“No need. Neither of us saw it coming.”

“She has your phone, Ppany.”

“I know she does, Yul.”

“What are you gonna do?”

“I don’t know.”

“Let’s go inside, you need to sleep.” Yuri patted her friend on the back and opened the door.

“Welcome home!” Jessica smiled and gave her a welcome-home kiss. “How come you haven’t texted me all day?”

“I’m sorry, Sicachu. I lost my phone and I can’t find it.” Tiffany pouted and gave her another kiss.

“Ugh. Get a room.” Luna gagged.

“You can’t say anything because this was how you were made.” Tiffany flicked her forehead.

“Appa, you don’t have the right equipment to make a baby with Umma.” Luna crossed her arms.

“But the basic idea of it is same. Ahuehuehue.”

“Do you know who has your phone?” Jessica asked.

Tiffany shook her head. Yuri glanced at Tiffany and sipped her coffee.

Everyone had a decent dinner that night. Krystal had dropped by to visit that day with Amber and Yoona was talking about her upcoming promotion in her teaching career. Jessica did not let go of her wife’s hand as soon as she stepped in the house. Everyone was happy, but a ravened hair girl and the red head sitting next to her.

That night, after everyone had gone home and her wife and kids had gone to bed, she was awake. The only thing keeping her company were her thoughts and the lamp light in the kitchen as the red head sat there sipping her coffee and reading a book that she had read over sixty-nine million times over, and never once had she ever gotten tired of reading the same words in the same pages with the same characters and plot over and over again.

That book comforted her. She knew how it started, who the characters were, who was good, who was evil, and how the story ended. She had always turned to books when she wished she lived someone else’s life. She loved books. When she hated what was going on, she could just put it down and never read it. If she hated the characters, she could just put it down and never open it ever again. But she could only live the life of someone else for so long. Books had to have an ending, like everything else.

The red head knew that she could only have so much cups of coffee to keep her awake. She could only read so many books until she had to face her own life. She knew that she had to finish this chapter of her own book.

Her wife was going to find out eventually; she always does. Her wife was cunning like that, she knew Tiffany like the back of her hand. Although her queen had ironically hated reading, she could read Tiffany like an open book. Jessica had always been so nosy, but she always had the right intentions. She was lazy, but when it came to Tiffany and her kids, she was willing to run a thousand miles for them. She hated it when Tiffany would leave the house without giving her a kiss goodbye. She loved their late night talks. Tiffany loved everything about her wife. Her wife’s imperfections and flaws altogether. Jessica Jung was her perfect imperfection.

And the red head knew that there was no way around it, no going under or over it, her wife had to find out the truth before someone else told her.  If Jessica ever found out about Kim Taeyeon, Tiffany would lose her trust altogether and there was no way her Ice Queen was going to find out about Kim Taeyeon.

That night, the red head had not gotten a wink of sleep.

The next few days had been hectic for the red head and her friends.

She had called her company ahead of time announcing that she would be taking a leave for a couple of weeks due to person issues that needed to be resolved. She had already made plans to see Taeyeon and clear everything up and get her cell phone back. Then, flying back to Incheon with Yuri to make amends with their past.

She had already told Jessica that she would be going on a business trip with Yuri for the next week or so. Yuri had told Yoona the same thing, but did not specify how long she would be away because she and Tiffany would split ways a few days later because she was needed elsewhere.

One had every intention of keeping her wife and family out of this. The other one had every intention to keep her past from catching up to her.

“What the hell is this?”

“What’s what, Sica?”

“This.” Jessica showed Tiffany the flashing screen.

Can’t wait to kiss you again

XXXX SM St.

<3 KT

10:08 PM

“Jessie…”