Soongie And Changie-Oppa

The City Huntress

~Changmin and Kyuhyun~

It’s five in the morning, and Shim Changmin is cooking in his apartment shared with his stepbrother Cho Kyuhyun. Changmin is wearing a wifebeater and hamtaro pyjamas covered mostly by a pink apron given to him by his best friend Sooyoung. He is cooking breakfast like what he usually does in the morning.

“Good morning, hyung,” a sleepy Kyuhyun greeted Changmin.

“Good morning,” Changmin said, “There’s milk at the fridge from Soongie.”

Kyuhyun nodded as he got a milk carton and sat on the chair. “What’s cooking, hyung?” Kyuhyun asked.

“Kimchi bokkeumbap, luncheon meat, and omelette,” Changmin chanted as he skilfully flipped the omelette.

Kyuhyun commented, “Why don’t you work as a cook instead of being a journalist?”

“And miss my chances of seeing City Huntress? No way,” Changmin said as he plated the omelette.

“What about Jieun?” Kyuhyun asked.

Changmin sighed as he puts on the dining table Kyuhyun’s breakfast. “I already forgot about her. She’s not even around anymore,” Changmin said as he turned now to make a breakfast box for himself and Sooyoung.

The two went silent as Kyuhyun ate his breakfast and Changmin has finished packing the breakfast boxes. The two then went to their separate rooms to take a bath and prepare for work. When the clock struck 6:15, the two went out of their rooms, both of them in black suits.

“Kaja,” Changmin said. He was bringing a bag with his laptop, camera and some files.

Kyuhyun nodded. The two went to Kyuhyun’s car and drove off. Changmin was singing his favourite song “Lucky”.

“How about a job as a singer?” Kyuhyun commented.

Changmin looked at his stepbrother and said, “You really don’t like me to become a journalist?”

“It’s not that hyung,” Kyuhyun said, “I mean; you’re talented in so many ways, but you’re just a staff of SM Weekly.”

“I’m fine with it. As long as I get to see City Huntress,” Changmin said as he smiled.

Kyuhyun just shook his head. His stepbrother has been admiring and idolizing the City Huntress ever since she saved him from a band of drug dealers. What Changmin doesn’t know is how close the City Huntress and Kyuhyun is.

“We’re here,” Kyuhyun said as he stopped in front of Café Generation.

“Gomawo,” Changmin said, “Call me if you’re picking me up.”

Kyuhyun nodded as he waved and drove off to the police station.

 

~ChangSoo~

Sanghyun, the café waiter, opened the door when he saw a tall figure coming down from a black car.

“Noona,” Sanghyun said, “Changmin-hyung is here.”

“Tell him I’ll be there in a minute,” Sooyoung said from the back.

“Good morning,” Changmin greeted he entered the café.

“Good morning, hyung,” Sanghyun greeted as he was cleaning and wiping the tables.

Changmin placed the breakfast boxes on the countertop and asked, “Where’s Soongie?”

“Inside the coffee store room,” Sanghyun said as he focused on wiping a stain on a table.

Changmin took the liberty of going into the coffee store room, which was behind a door on the left most of the counter. When Changmin went in, he saw his best friend looking on a check list. Changmin first looked at how Sooyoung looked: she was wearing black fit trousers, fir white polo shirt that is tucked in covered by a black vest – her usual uniform in a Tuesday.

Soongie looks so beautiful and y in those clothes, Changmin thought. Realizing what he had just said on his mind, Changmin shook his head and said, “Soongie!”

Sooyoung was surprised as she dropped the clipboard she was holding. “Yah! Changie-oppa,” Sooyoung sighed as she picked up the clipboard.

Changmin went over and gave his best friend a back hug and asked, “Why are you working so early?”

“Because I open up at 7 AM, oppa,” Sooyoung said while blushing.

As Sooyoung continued to do her checking, Changmin did not let go of Sooyoung. This is one of those moments where the two find comfort at each other. No words, just their presence alone. Suddenly, Changmin’s hug got tighter.

“I’ve missed you, Soongie,” Changmin said in a serious voice, “I’ve been working too much.”

Sooyoung placed the clipboard on one of the shelves to put her arms around Changmin’s. “You need rest, Changie-oppa. Don’t worry, the City—“ Sooyoung said but was cut by Changmin.

“Hey,” Changmin said, “I’m with you. Don’t mention her.”

“What’s wrong with mentioning the girl of your dreams?” Sooyoung asked.

“Whenever I’m with you,” Changmin said as he rested his head on Sooyoung’s shoulders, “I don’t want to think of any other woman.”

“Yah...” Sooyoung said, “What if you have your girlfriend?”

“She’s my girlfriend and you’re my best friend. She must understand,” Changmin said.

Sooyoung sighed and said, “Arasseo, let’s go and eat.”

Changmin lets go of Sooyoung and pulls her by the hand towards one of the tables. Jinki, the café’s cook, and Sanghyun were already waiting at the table.

“Hyung, I took the liberty of preparing the breakfast boxes,” Jinki said, “I hope you don’t mind.”

Changmin shook his head as the two best friends sat down. “Jal mokgesseupnida!” They all said as they started to eat.

Jinki and Sanghyun were quietly observing Sooyoung and Changmin. They were feeding each other and telling stories. Changmin wasn’t able to visit Sooyoung like this for three days because of his field work.

“You two look good together,” Jinki commented.

Sanghyun then added, “Yeah. You two are tall and slim.”

Sooyoung and Changmin looked at the two incredulously. “What are you two talking about?” Sooyoung asked.

“Besides,” Changmin said, “Soongie already has a suitor...Which, by the way, I haven’t seen yet. I thought you were going to introduce him to me?”

Sooyoung answered, “I was, but when I told him about you, he got scared.”

Changmin chuckled and said, “He’d better be scared. No one will hurt you will I’m around, Soongie.”

“What’s not to be scared? You look criteria for my suitors,” Sooyoung said while chuckling as well.

“Of course,” Changmin said, “The guy must be tall or taller than you, good at cooking, house work, has a good voice since you like me singing to you, and must be handsome as well...”

“Isn’t it his traits, hyung?” Sanghyun asked Jinki.

Changmin heard it and said, “What?”

Sanghyun and Jinki shook their heads. These two have been friends with Sooyoung and Changmin since they were kids, and they know how close the two to each other. So close, that Jinki and Sanghyun always asks:

“Why you can’t just be a couple?”

To which Changmin and Sooyoung would answer:

“We’re best friends.”

The four has just finished their breakfast and its two minutes before opening time. Some of the morning patrons of Café Generation were already waiting outside.

“All set?” Changmin asked.

Sooyoung was already at the counter, wearing her brown apron. Sanghyun was ready as well as Jinki who is on the kitchen.

“I’ll flip the signboard,” Changmin said. After a few moments, Changmin flipped the signboard. Café Generation is officially opened. The people rushed in. Sanghyun, who was wearing roller blades, got the orders quickly and sent them to Sooyoung. Changmin was also on the counter to help.

“Two cups of espresso, one cup of latte, two cups of black coffee...” Changmin read on some of the orders. He and Sooyoung went to work as they prepare the orders, giving some order slips to Jinki via the small window. As they finish, Changmin rings the bell to Sanghyun and the waiter gives the orders to the customers who seemed very satisfied at the speed of the service and the taste of their coffee and breakfast.

“Café Generation is still the best,” one of the patrons said as he raised his cup to Sooyoung.

Sooyoung bowed her head lightly as she and Changmin continued to prepare the orders. After an hour, the café was a little quiet. The rush hour was over but there are still a few customers. Changmin then grabbed his bag (which was on the store room) and said to Sooyoung, “I have to go now, Soongie. I’ll be back in the afternoon. I promise.”

“You always do, Changie-oppa. Stay safe!” Sooyoung said as the two hugged each other.

Changmin then grabbed his own cup of coffee and went to work.

 

~Sooyoung~

The day went well for Sooyoung. Her café is visited not only by her patrons but by many visitors and popular people as well. Café Generation is situated in a perfect location as it is near the Senate building and other high-profile locations. Whenever Sooyoung is not busy and the café is quiet, she is with her laptop, doing some profile checking.

“Noona,” Sanghyun said as he went over the counter, “What happened to the people last night?”

“They were all caught. I haven’t heard anything else, maybe later,” Sooyoung said.

Café Generation always during lunch time for an hour. Not because they don’t want a rush, but because a person always visits Sooyoung during the afternoon.

“Are we closed?” Sooyoung asked.

Sanghyun nodded. He removed his roller blades and replaced them with just normal shoes. After a moment, three people came in through the front door. The blinds were closed automatically.

“Annyeonghashiminikka, Sungmin-seoksanim,” Sooyoung greeted as she, Jinki and Sanghyun bowed.

“Annyeonghasaeyo, City Huntress,” Sungmin, Master Ninja Assassin, said with a warm smile.

 

~Changmin~

“This is great!” Changmin’s boss Kim Jaejoong said.

Changmin just showed Jaejoong some of the photos and the article he’s written about the hostage crisis last night at the Senate building.

“You don’t have any pictures of the City Huntress going inside?” Jaejoong asked. He knows how diligent Changmin is when it comes to the City Huntress.

“We can’t show that sajangnim,” Changmin answered, “She might get in danger because of it.”

Jaejoong nodded and then continued, “Your article is really amazing! It will be one of the features! Yeokshi, good job Changmin!”

Changmin walked out of Jaejoong’s office with a bright smile. As he went out, the next reporter went in to be scrutinized by the editor-in-chief of SM Weekly. As he went back to his work station, his fellow reporter Park Yoochun said, “Yah, Kim-sajangnim is pleased with you again. I wish he could easily give me praises like that.”

“Hey,” Changmin said, “Just work hard. By that way, what happened to that Junsu guy you were telling me about?”

Yoochun suddenly blushed at the name of Junsu. He said, “Oh, he said that there’s this secret organization now that the government is watching out for.”

“Why?” Changmin asked as he got out his tablet. Yoochun grabbed his and showed Changmin some pictures men moving some bags inside what looks like to be abandoned storehouses.

“Junsu said that it’s still unclear to them, but all the intelligence reports say that they’re all coming from the North and they want something from Kangin,” Yoochun explained.

“Kangin? That soldier who was a top agent of our country but turned out to be a spy from the North? That Kangin that the City Huntress caught?” Changmin asked.

“Ne,” Yoochun said, “Junsu said that Kangin holds a certain information that this secret organization wants. They’ll do whatever it takes to get Kangin, according to Junsu.”

“What do you think it is?” Changmin asked Yoochun.

“I’ve been researching on that,” Yoochun said as he showed to Changmin an article on his tablet, “This is the last document about Kangin that was to be deleted on the internet. I managed to get it thanks to Junsu.”

“What’s this about?” Changmin said as he started to read.

Yoochun replied, “It’s about how Kangin worked with the North so he, according to him, can protect us here in the South.”

“Can I have a copy of this?” Changmin asked.

“Sure thing,” Yoochun said as he sent to Changmin the copy of the article.

Changmin reads the article while finishing his coffees. “This is something Soongie needs to see,” Changmin said.

“Oh look!” Yoochun said.

“What?” Changmin said.

Yoochun said, “Junsu texted me that they’ll be moving Kangin to a new secured place.”

 

~Sooyoung~

“When will he be transferred?” Sooyoung asked.

“This Saturday,” Sungmin answered, “General Jung informed me that he needs you to be there, secretly of course.”

“Why? Are they on the move now?” Sooyoung asked.

“Sadly, yes. According to what I’ve to our intelligence reports, he’s still the one leading them,” Sungmin said.

Sooyoung nodded and said, “Send me the time and the place seoksanim. We’ll be there.”

Sungmin and his two companions stood up and said, “Take care, City Huntress. You have been doing well.”

“If it’s not for your training seoksanim,” Sooyoung replied, “I would not be here. How is my sister?”

“She’s still asleep, but her vital signs are good. Thank you for stalling in for her,” Sungmin said.

“No. It’s time for her to rest. She saved my life and the life of everyone else. I must do the same,” Sooyoung said.

Sungmin nodded and said, “Tao, Xiumin, let’s go.”

Sooyoung, Jinki and Sanghyun bowed to Sungmin before Sungmin, Tao, and Xiumin left.

“Saturday? That means...” Jinki and Sanghyun said together.

“We’re going on be silent bodyguards on Saturday,” Sooyoung said.