10; In Between Walls

Soshified Shots

 

A/N: Taeny one-shot. :) Enjoy!

 

 

 

“You stay here and you can never come out unless I say so.”

“But daddy, you can’t do this to me! You can’t lock me in here!”

“I’m sorry but I only want to protect you. Please understand your foolish father.”

Understand? How could I ever be able to understand him?

It’s been six months since I’ve been locked in this prison-like bedroom of mine. Six months since my mother had unfortunately passed away, which caused my father to undergo depression. Ever since mom had left us, I never recognized my father anymore. He changed. He wasn’t the man I used to think he was. He stopped working and often stayed at home drowning himself in liquors and other alcoholic beverages to waste his time.

As for me, well he never did let me out of this room.

My daddy always told me that he is doing this for my own good. But what good is there to locking your only daughter up in one room instead of giving her taste of freedom? Nothing. There is nothing good about my current situation.

I wish that someway or somehow, my father would open his eyes and wake up. I wish he could accept the fact that mom is gone and that he could never lock me away like this forever. I don’t want to die out of depression in this room. There are a lot of things that I want to do and accomplish in my life. I want freedom.

But I guess, that is one thing I’ll never be able to grasp in my life.

I’ll never be able to get out of this prison.

---

It was raining heavily that night.

Tiffany sat on the edge of her bed, her warm brown chocolate eyes staring at the window where she could see the rain pouring harshly. Thunder rumbled and lightning flashed across the sky. When she was little she was always afraid of the storm, she’d always run to her mother and sleep with her on the bed in order to feel secured. But for the past six months of this miserable life she’s having, Tiffany’s fears and anxieties have melted away. She was used in these kind of things, the fear of the storm and the feeling of not being secure in her mother’s arms do not exist in her heart anymore.

Boom. She nearly flinched at the sound of the thunder.

Tiffany got up to her feet and made her way towards the corner of the room where a single leather chair was. She sat on it and began knitting a sweater that she’s been working on for the past few days. Knitting already became her hobby ever since she got locked up in here. There wasn’t anything else productive for her to do anyway. As she was doing her little hobby, small light knocks on the window had caught her attention. Tiffany glanced at the window’s glass but saw nothing.

Maybe I’m just hearing things.

She continued with her knitting, only to hear that same sound again. She tried to ignore it at first, thinking that it’s probably a branch of a tree hitting against the glass. But as the seconds passed by, the knocks became even louder and more aggressive. Tiffany decided to check out what it was. She got up from the chair and made small steps towards the window. As she approached closer, she could see a shadow forming from outside the window. Tiffany grabbed a random wooden stick from under her bed, just in case she had to use it to hit the moving thing from outside.

What could it be? Is it a burglar? A robber? Or maybe worse—A ?

Tiffany bit her lower lip in worry. Both of her hands were gripping tightly onto her stick as she marched towards the window. Just when she was about to get closer, a pale face suddenly popped outside the glass. It startled her and had caused her to stumble a little backwards, not forgetting to let out a high-pitched scream. Tiffany landed on her on the floor, her eyes catching a glimpse of a person’s face outside her window.

“W-What the..”

Before she could even scream for help, she noticed the facial expression on the person’s face. The person appeared to be a woman, and she was somehow begging Tiffany to let her in. At first Tiffany hesitated, for she did not know the girl and what she might do to her once she gets to enter the room. But the pleading look on her face softens Tiffany’s heart a little. Of course she could not bear to just let a helpless girl get soaked in the rain.

Tiffany hesitantly got up to her feet before slowly making her way towards the window. She opened it and within a few seconds, a drenching body of a girl stumbled inside and onto the floor. Tiffany quickly closed the window shut before kneeling towards the stranger on the ground.

“Miss, are you okay?” Tiffany whispered gently. A few coughs were what she received from her visitor, but after a while the girl managed to speak and sit herself up. She glanced at Tiffany with thankful eyes, a small smile pressing on her pale lips. “Thank you, for letting me in.” Her voice was a bit deep and a little hoarse. She coughed again which gave Tiffany the idea that she should help this girl dry off before attempting to ask any more questions.

“Wait, come with me.” Tiffany grabbed the girl’s cold hands and started dragging her towards her bathroom. She made the girl sit on the toilet while she grabbed some towels and spare clothes from her small closet. Finally Tiffany returned to her with a warm dry towel and a pair of clothes on her hands. “Wipe yourself with this. You should take a bath and change into this clothes so you won’t get sick.” She urged the girl towards the showers, but the girl suddenly paused in her tracks. She turned around and flashed that dimpled smile once more, whispering a soft ‘Thank you’ towards Tiffany.

It almost made Tiffany smile back but she didn’t. She pushed the girl into the showers before heading out of the bathroom.

As Tiffany rushed out of the door, she leaned her back against the wall and pressed a hand over her chest where she could feel her heart pounding. Suddenly the image of the girl’s smiling face appeared in her mind. Tiffany violently shook her head.

What am I doing? I just let a stranger in. What if she does something crazy to me?

But she’s a girl and I just can’t allow her to stay outside in the rain forever.

Tiffany wondered why the girl chose to knock on her window anyway. While waiting for the girl to finish her bath, Tiffany sat on the edge of her bed and continued with her thoughts. After a few minutes the bathroom door opened, causing Tiffany’s ears to perk up. As she glanced up, she saw the girl standing at the doorway wearing nothing but a towel around her body. The sight of her had instantly caused Tiffany to look away with her blushing cheeks.

“What are you doing? Why didn’t you wear the clothes I gave you?” Tiffany tried to ignore her burning cheeks.

“S-Sorry..But I have a hard time wearing the sweater because it doesn’t fit my head.” The girl looked absolutely adorable, especially with her child-like features. Her height also made her look like a ten-year-old. She stared at Tiffany with her brown onyx eyes as she waited for the younger girl to respond. “C-Can you help me wear it? I can’t do it on my own.”

Tiffany didn’t want to. But of course she didn’t refuse. Helping others was one of the good character traits Tiffany possessed in her. And besides, she couldn’t bear saying no to those lovely pair of onyx eyes staring at her. She got up from the bed and made her way towards the shorter girl.

---

“Taeyeon.”

“I beg your pardon?”

“My name is Taeyeon.”

Tiffany didn’t know why but she found it cute when the girl started introducing herself while Tiffany was on the midst of struggling to enter the girl’s head through the sweater’s hole. Indeed the hole of the sweater wasn’t big enough for her head to fit into. In the end Tiffany gave up and lent the girl a clean white shirt instead.

“How about you?”

“You don’t have to know it.” Tiffany didn’t want to sound cold, but she did. She’s been locked in this room for months, she forgot the way she used to communicate and socialize with other people in a bright way. She remembered being such a bubbly and lively girl, but that was her old self. She can barely even smile these days.

“I guess I don’t have too.” Taeyeon shrugged her shoulders. “But I want to.” She threw a serious glance at Tiffany before smiling like a kid again.

Tiffany rolled her eyes and ignored the older girl’s demand as she finally finished putting the shirt on her. Then she stepped out of the bathroom with the shorter girl trailing right behind her. Tiffany sat on the bed and Taeyeon situated herself besides her, still giving her that same look. Tiffany tried to ignore her for a while but she couldn’t bare the feeling of being stared at any longer. “Ugh. What do you want?” She snapped, her nostrils flaring.

“Your name.” Taeyeon smiled cheekily.

“Why would you want to know my name?”

“Because I told you mine.”

Tiffany rolled her eyes and folded her arms over her chest. “I never even asked you to do that in the first place. So I won’t tell you mine.” Her response caused Taeyeon to pout her lips cutely, imitating Tiffany’s look by crossing her own arms over her chest. Tiffany noticed this and glared at her, only to receive another smile from the older girl. “We both look cute when we’re mad.” Taeyeon cooed, earning another glare from Tiffany.

“What do you want from me?! Why did you come in here in the first place?” Tiffany suddenly made an outburst. She was never the type to release her temper but it has been a long time since she’s been undergoing depression and her patience had been cut short. And other than that, this girl was seriously giving her mixed emotions with her smile. She was annoyed by it, but at the same time she was disturbingly attracted to it.

“Oh..right.” Taeyeon’s smile faded and her eyes dropped onto her lap as though she just remembered something. “I was planning to thank you for that.”

“Then why can’t you just thank me and leave?”

“I am going to thank you, so, thank you.” Taeyeon smiled sincerely. But then her expression contorted into a sad frown. “But I can’t leave. Would you mind if I stay for the night?”

“Of course I mind!” Tiffany suddenly exclaimed as she got up to her feet. She can’t believe that this girl had the guts to ask her for this kind of favour. Maybe it was enough that she helped her dry herself up and even allowed her to borrow some clothes, but letting her stay in the room for one night was more than enough. “I’m sorry but I just can’t let some stranger spend a night in my room.”

Taeyeon looked at her with hopeful eyes. “But I’m not a stranger! You know my name!”

Tiffany rolled her eyes again. “I never asked you for your name! You’re still a stranger which means you can’t stay here!”

“But I have to.” Taeyeon begged, already kneeling on the floor with her hands clasped together. Tiffany was taken aback by this girl’s sudden action. “Please, just let me stay here for one night. Just one night. They’ll come looking for me and there isn’t any other place out there that I can hide into. Please.” It made Tiffany realize that this girl was running away from something. Hiding her here would be quite a risk, but all she was asking for was one night.

Tiffany wasn’t that cruel.

But before she could open and say yes, there was a sudden loud knock on the door. Panic spread across Tiffany’s face as she recognized the faint voice of her father yelling from outside. She glanced at Taeyeon and without another word, she motioned the girl to hide. Taeyeon was confused and had no idea as to what was going on, but she had no choice. She squeezed herself under the bed and waited until Tiffany tells her to come out.

“Stephanie! Stephanie!” Her father’s voice was becoming louder and more impatient.

“Yes daddy! Be right there!” Tiffany made sure that Taeyeon’s figure couldn’t be seen underneath the mattress. She then quickly fixed herself before heading towards the door and opening it. A man in his fifties appeared standing outside, holding out a tray which contained a not-so-appetizing meal. He handed the tray towards his daughter. “I made dinner.” He said.

“Thanks daddy.” Tiffany faked a smile. Her father lifted an eyebrow. It was because Tiffany never smiled at him. It was weird how his daughter was smiling at him right now; and he also noticed that her smile was kind of forced.

“Is there something you want to tell me Steph?” Mr. Hwang asked, his voice getting a bit suspicious.

Tiffany widened her eyes a little. “N-Nothing daddy! Why?”

He stared at her one more time before sighing. “It’s nothing. Eat your dinner then go to bed. No more late night readings, okay?” Tiffany nodded obediently before watching her father walk away and leave. She sighed in relief and quickly slammed the door shut, not forgetting to lock it. She then turned around and faced the bed, where she could see a body creeping out from underneath it. “Is he gone?” Taeyeon asked once she stood up to her feet and glanced at the door.

“Yeah.” Tiffany mumbled. “He’s my dad. He’ll go crazy if he finds you in here.” She said as though to explain why she told Taeyeon to hide. The older girl could only nod her head in understanding, but not quite getting it. She then glanced at the tray of food that Tiffany placed on her bed. “Uhm, I don’t mean to be nosy, but why are you having your dinner here instead of the dining room? Are you sick or something?”

“I am not sick.” Tiffany answered. “And as for the other question, it’s for me to know and for you to never find out.”

“Is that even edible?”

“Please, stop asking questions.”

“Sorry. I just don’t think you should eat it. The food looks like it’s been taken from a garbage can.”

“Hey!”

---

“Hey.”

“….”

“Hey.”

“….”

“Yoohoo~”

“What the hell—“ Tiffany bolted upright into a sitting position once she felt countless pokes on her cheek. She glanced sideways and saw the figure lying on the floor, smiling at her like a dork. It was almost midnight and all Tiffany wanted to do was to sleep. But her so-called visitor was preventing her from doing so. “What do you want?”

“Can’t sleep.” Taeyeon said nonchalantly. “How about you?”

“I was actually trying to, but I can’t because of you.” Tiffany grumbled while sending the other girl a glare. She can’t believe that this girl, who already had been much of a burden to her, still wants to annoy the hell out of her. She just wants this night to end so that when the next morning comes, this girl would finally leave her to her usual peace.

“I’m sorry. I just feel a bit homesick.”

“Then why don’t you just go home?”

“Meanie.” Taeyeon pouted as she sat up, so that she could show off her cute face towards the younger girl. Tiffany ignored it and slumped herself back to bed, burying her face against the pillows as she groaned out of frustration. She wished Taeyeon would just disappear so that no one will bother her anymore.

“Hey.” Then she felt someone poking her again. Tiffany was getting irritated but she knew better than too entertain the other girl’s silly antics. “Hey, can I sleep with you on the bed?”

That caught Tiffany’s attention.

“What?! Are you crazy?” Tiffany suddenly got up from the bed and stared disbelievingly at the shorter girl. “No way! Sleep on the floor.”

“But the my back is already hurting from lying on the floor too much.” Taeyeon complained as she rubbed her back. “And my is also aching terribly. Please have mercy on my .”

“Excuse me, but you’ve only been lying there for the past ten minutes.” Tiffany pointed out as she stared at the older girl. Taeyeon eventually gave up and returned back to laying herself against the cold floor. She didn’t have much of a choice and besides, she’s burdened Tiffany too much. Half an hour passed by and Tiffany still couldn’t sleep. And she blamed it all on that dorky girl who kept on bugging her earlier.

Speaking of that dork, I wonder if she’s still awake?

Tiffany rolled to the side of her bed and took a peek below where she could see Taeyeon’s body. A feeling of relief washed over her once she saw the older girl’s peacefully sleeping face. Suddenly her heart made that weird beating again, a feeling that Tiffany had never experienced feeling before. She glanced at Taeyeon questioningly. Are you the one making me feel this way? Taeyeon looked much adorable when she’s asleep, she looked much more like a baby. A small smile unconsciously formed on Tiffany’s lips.

But that smile quickly dismissed once both of Taeyeon’s eyes shot open.

“Boo.”

“Aaack!” Tiffany screamed and fell off the bed, resulting her in landing on top of Taeyeon. Taeyeon emitted a painful growl once she felt the younger girl’s body press against her own. After the hard impact, Tiffany opened her eyes only for it to widened when she saw Taeyeon’s face half a centimetre away from her own. She quickly lifted herself off of her and hopped back on the bed in order to prevent her blushing cheeks from showing. Taeyeon, on the other hand, did not stop a smile from appearing on her face.

“Hey—“

“Shut up and go to bed.” Tiffany quickly cut her off before she could say anything else.

“Alright then.” Taeyeon got up from the floor and plopped her petite self onto the soft mattress of Tiffany’s bed. Tiffany flinched in her position once she saw another human figure laying beside her. She quickly moved away. “Y-Yah! What do you think you’re doing?”

“You said ‘Shut up and go to bed’. I’m pretty sure that this is the only bed existing in this room.” Taeyeon smartly pointed out. Tiffany bit her tongue and accused herself for saying such careless words. “No. Get off of my bed and sleep on the floor.” Tiffany attempted to push the older girl off the mattress. But what she didn’t expect was that even though she was short and petite, Taeyeon is quite strong. She grabbed both of Tiffany’s wrists, pinned her on the bed, and hovered right on top of her. Tiffany was about to let out another scream but Taeyeon managed to clasp a hand over .

“Shh. Calm down, I’m not going to hurt you.” Taeyeon whispered gently.

“Leff—goff-off-meeff!” Tiffany mumbled against her hand.

Taeyeon shushed her again. “Just be quiet and I’ll let you go. You wouldn’t want your father to find out that I’m here do you?” She threatened, and soon enough Tiffany stopped squirming. Taeyeon released her wrists and rolled to the other side of the bed. Tiffany was breathing hard, her cheeks bright pink. She’d never been that close with someone before and it drove her crazy. Taeyeon smelled like baby powder.

“Now, can we sleep?” Taeyeon asked with a sweet smile.

Tiffany was still shocked and she couldn’t utter a single word. Taeyeon took this as a yes before grabbing the thick blankets and used it to shield their bodies from the cold.

“Goodnight, Stephanie.” Taeyeon recalled the name Tiffany’s dad called her earlier.

They both lay on the bed together, their bodies pressed against each other under the warm heat that the blanket provided for them. Tiffany couldn’t sleep a wink as she stared blankly up at the ceiling.

Tiffany figured this was the first night she’ll ever sleep with the feeling of being secure and safe.

---

The next day passed by so quickly.

Tiffany had just awakened from her peaceful slumber. Rays of the sunlight which sneaked through the window were enough to enlightened the silent room. She brought her fists to her eyes and rubbed it sleepily. Once her vision cleared, Tiffany was surprised to see an empty space next to her.

Then she remembered the past events from last night.

Rain. Window. Stranger. Dork. Taeyeon.

Suddenly the familiar child-like face of the girl which invaded her room, and probably her life too, had popped into Tiffany’s mind. She quickly hopped out of bed and rushed into the bathroom to check if she was there. There was a feeling of disappoinment that filled her heart once she found the bathroom empty.

What am I thinking, I shouldn’t be disappointed. I should be happy. Now that she’s gone, I’m finally left with my peace.

But the loneliness starts again. It’s been a long time since Tiffany experienced hanging out with another person for more than a minute. Even though the girl did annoy her terribly the whole night, she still cannot deny the fact that she felt much more better when Taeyeon’s presence was around. The dork seemed harmless and kind anyway.

A heavy sigh escaped Tiffany’s lips as she went back into her room. Once again the dull atmosphere had engulfed her. She asks herself, Will I ever see her again?

And once she caught a glimpse of a small paper attached on the window, Tiffany’s question was answered. She approached the window and read the following words which were scribbled onto the small piece of paper.

Hello Stephanie.

First of all I wanted to thank you for letting me into your room last night. If it weren’t for you, I never would’ve made it. I also want to say sorry for all the trouble I’ve caused you. But honestly, I felt really happy even though I only spent one night with you.

Hopefully, in the future we’ll meet again. And I’ll make sure of it. Just be ready to open your window whenever I’m there to knock on it.

P.S. I finished knitting your sweater for you.

Sincerely, Taeyeon. :]

Tiffany glanced at the leather chair at the corner of the room and saw the sweater she’s been working on for days, perfectly knitted and well-made. Tiffany could feel her heart melting at the sight. She tore the paper from the window and held it in her hands. A wide smile slowly appeared on her face and it reached from ear to ear.

Taeyeon, I hope you’d come back soon. 

 

---

 

A/N: Finally! TaeNy! :)) I've been wanting to post a TaeNy shot a long time ago but I've only managed to do it now. :P 

There will be a part 2 of this story because it's obviously not done yet. :DD But I think I'm going to post the YoonFany shot first. I hope you guys enjoyed reading this! Thank you so much to those who've subscribed and commented! And also to the silent readers out there! :)

BTW, to those who loves YoonSic oneshots, I just made one and posted it yesterday but I didn't include it here in this collection. I made it for Sica's b-day. Pls do check it out! ;]

Link: http://www.asianfanfics.com/story/view/429520/surprises-fluff-jessica-snsd-yoona-yoonsic