Chores with Jjong

100 Days with The Daegu Diva (a.k.a Mr. Arrogant) (Kinda Permanent Hiatus)

 

    You took a bus downtown to the local open market, near your house. Even at 9 AM, all the stalls were bustling with customers- from the daily catch to casual ramyun.  You squeezed through all the people and slipped to the herb & spices stand.  

    "Good morning Herb Ahjumma!" you greeted.  You called her "Herb Ahjumma" since she always smelled of spices.

"Morning Hwiyoung dear!  What do you need?" she replied.  You responded by showing her the list Key gave you.

    Without another word, she placed them in seperate plastic bags and handed them to you.

"Freshly shipped this morning!  I'll give you a discount.  Just 15,000 won ($15)." Herb Ahjumma stated. You reached into your Totoro sling over bag and pulled out 20,000 ($20) instead.  

"Please keep it all," you said.  Herb Ahjumma grinned.  "Thank you Ahjumma, take care!" you bid with a small bow.  She returned the gesture and you walked away.

    Before leaving, you (of course) bought two boxes of Fruit Ninja gummies and nappa cabbage.  Then you left.

 

    You took a taxi four blocks down to see your parents real quick.  The moment you rag the doorbell, you were cucooned in a mass of arms.

"Hwiyoung!  Aigoo, it's only been a day and I miss you so much!  Can you come back home now?" your mother bombarded.

"No Umma, I'm still doing chores for the diva's spoiled behind. I'm not even supposed to be here..." you explained.

"Has he tried to you or anything?"

"UMMA! NO!  Trust me, he'd be long dead if he did.  He has nice friends, guess who's one of them?"

"I don't know.  Who?"

"Jjong!"

     "That angel-faced boy?  He was a sweetheart.  Tell him I said hello!" your mother replied. 

"I need to go now.  Give Papi a hug for me."

"Aigoo, wait." your mother cut in, unclasping a locket from her neck.  You knew it was her favorite silver one with the aqua gemstone on the front.

     "Take it.  I've been meaning to give it to you for quite sine time." she placed it in your palm.  You popped it open the heart-shaped charm and saw your mother's face on the left side, and your father's on the right.

"Take care, Hwiyoung.  And if you get pregnant, I kill you." your mother warned.  You laughed and gave her one last hug before jumping down the front steps.  Once you reached the street, you turned around.

"I LOVE YOU UMMA AND PAPI!" you shouted at the top of your lungs.  Your mother gave you a heart sign as you jumped back into the taxi.

~~~

      After dropping off all the food in the kitchen, it was time to clean the windows.  So you grabbed your plastic carrier bin loaded with supplies and got to work while blastic music from your earbuds.

     "Cia!" someone called.  You yanked out your earbuds and turned around, seeing Jonghyun coming towards you.

"Still callin' me by my english name I see.  Then I'll call you Dino," you said.

"But I don't like that name."

"Okay, how about 'Jjong?'"

"Me gusta!"

     "Help me clean the windows?" you tossed him some cloths and spray.  Jonghyun stood next to you and began to wipe the giant windows.

"What're you listening to?" he asked while swiping an earbud.  He made a face.

"Oh.  That weird Spanish music.  Here you go." Jonghyun gave it back.  You shot him a look and wiped the bud.

"It's called 'Bachata!'  I happen to like Aventura anyway.  Now you've got your dino germs all over my new Princess Peach buds..." you complained.  Jonghyun frowned and nudged you.

"I thought you wouldn't call me that anymore," he said.  You shrugged.

"I never promised.  So, do you spend your time here a lot?" you asked as you scrubbed the window in swirly motions.

     "Pretty much.  My parents...have been fighting more lately.  I don't want to get involved." Jonghyun replied.

"Oh.  By the way, my mom says 'hi.'"

"Really?  I thought she'd forgotten about me.  Give this to her."

"Give what?"

     Jonghyun gave you a playful hug and stepped back.

"That."

     You stuck your tongue out at him and went back to work.

"How's your bee sting going?"

"Fine.  See?" you held your arm out to show him that it was still a red patch, but no longer bumpy and itchy.

"That's good."

"I guess so.  Oh after this, we need to go de-weed the garden out back I think." you added.  Jonghyun looked at you.

"Who ever said I'd help you?" he asked.

"Me.  Because if you don't, I'll find where you sleep and smash a pillow against your breathing passages and keep it there until you stop kicking," you said.  Jonghyun stared at you in horror.  A silence passed between you two before you broke out laughing.

     "I'm just joking, Jjong.  I'd never actually do that!  You know I'd wouldn't hurt my best bro." you spoke.  Jonghyun flicked your forehead.

"Jerk!"

*               *               *

     The summer heat stuck to your skin, much to your dislike.

"Hey look, a worm!" Jonghyun exclaimed.  You stared in disgust at the fat, slimy, muddy worm.

"Jjong, don't you dare!" you warned.  He flung it at you.

"CONO WTF?!  FUUUUUU------" you screamed, spazzing as it landed on your knee.

"Payback.  Sweet, sweet payback," Jonghyun breathed while watching you flip out.

 


BACK FROM MY HIATUS!  Sorry, I was really caught up in...other stuff.  I'm teaching myself Mandarin so I was really involved in that.  I also drew a comic book (137 pages) so I'm editing that so I can send it to a publishing company.  Also, it's summer...and I got lazy.