Seunghyun's Search

Unlucky

“Oh the prodigal son returns!” Mihyun's voice called out into the hallway causing Seunghyun to jump from his skin, he was so close to successfully sneaking back into his room. “Babo get your behind in here!” Slipping his trainers off Seunghyun rolled his eyes and followed her voice, wandering through the kitchen and into the living room. Mihyun was sat all by herself on the sofa which faced away from the door, he couldn't see her face so he had no idea what to think and this started to worry him.

“Mihyun, how did your job interview go?” Slowly he crept around the sofa and the coffee table to sit beside her, that's when he noticed how upset she looked. “Mihyun?” Her head was lowered and a hand covered her eyes.

“Terrible!” Mihyun replied still refusing to look at her little Brother. He raised an understanding hand to her shoulder, gently squeezed her then asked in a low voice

“What happened?”

“Well...” Mihyun sniffled before abruptly lifting her head up, she was rather oddly smiling “It went so terrible that they gave me a job!”

“Aish! That's fantastic!” Seunghyun grinned reaching forward and pulling her into a tight embrace. “Well done! And don't you dare do that to me again!” For tricking him like that Seunghyun patted her back a little harder than what he probably should have and consequently induced a series of breathless giggles from his older Sister. She squeezed him in return and the two ended up in a battle of the strongest hug, even resorting to the dirtiest of moves; the tickle. The thing about Seunghyun was he couldn't handle someone tickling him and at the slightest touch in the right place he was reduced to a puddle of tears. Mihyun knew this from years of practice and so naturally she would always win. It didn't take long for Seunghyun to cry out, dive onto the floor, roll away from the sofa, and curl up into a ball for protection. Although before he could plot his sweet revenge Mihyun jumped from the sofa and grabbed him, pinning one wrist against the carpet.

Allow the interrogation to begin...

“So Seunghyun, has Jiyong been your friend for a while?” He had been dreading Mihyun's interrogation, all the way home he wondered about all the possible questions that she could ask. Should he be honest and tell her that they had only just met? Or should he lie and say that Jiyong was an old school friend or something? What did he even make of the day? Seunghyun shook his head he was not going to lie, that much he was sure of, however unsure of the actual answer he was.

“Not really no” He gulped as Mihyun gawked at her little brother as if he was crazy.

“Seriously? Explain.”

“Well...” Seunghyun cleared his throat “You'll have to get off me first, this is a little uncomfortable” He stared at Mihyun's hold on his aching wrist then sat up whilst she pulled away and helped him up. They sat on the floor facing each other, it was the first time in years that Seunghyun had been on the same level as his Sister, talking to her informally like this, as she was always on a sort of higher level than him. Mihyun was patiently waiting for an answer and her eyes did not leave Seunghyun's.

“I met Jiyong today” He reluctantly started to retell the strange yet wonderful events of the day; how he had helped the stressed shop assistant and as a thank you the assistant wanted to take him out for a coffee. He smiled continuously throughout his story, excitedly telling his sister all about Jiyong, describing the coffee shop and how they chatted for hours about the most ridiculous things. It was then Seunghyun realised that he had failed to ask the most basic questions like how old are you? Where are you from? What's your blood type? You know the normal questions you ask a stranger. Instead Seunghyun had been more enthused by the most irrational things like Jiyong's favourite colour, his favourite genre of music (He couldn't choose saying that he enjoyed a wide variety), what he did when he wasn't at the supermarket (He said that he liked to go out and randomly take photos maybe in a park or somewhere), and just any thoughtless titbits about his life in general.

When Seunghyun finished talking he was overcome by a feeling of being incredibly dumbfounded, especially by mindlessly forgetting Mihyun's presence as he spoke, he forgot that he was speaking to his Sister who would undoubtedly with this information at a later date and he felt as if he was explaining the day to himself. Mihyun kept her strong gaze on him but her usual quite cold exterior was grinning, she looked like the Cheshire Cat or a pirate who had just stumbled upon a cove of golden treasures. “What?” Seunghyun asked remembering her presence and shuffling backwards a little, creating some space in between them. Mihyun didn't answer him and simply continued to freak her Brother out by her stare, Seunghyun couldn't decide whether she looked insanely happy or as if she was about kill him. “Quit staring at me like that!” He huffed becoming extremely agitated by her silence.

“You really are a babo!” Mihyun breathlessly replied “Oh my god...” She suddenly lurched forward and swiftly smacked the side of her Brother's head.

“Ow! What did I do?!” Seunghyun's hand automatically rose to rub his now throbbing head.

“Why didn't you ask him for a phone number?! Or his address? You know something you could contact him with, now you might not ever see him again! He even took you out for a coffee?! Wow it's just like a film; two star crossed lovers meet in a supermarket, their eyes meet over a box of cereal...”

“Lovers?” Seunghyun choked cutting off Mihyun's dreamy tale. “But I'm not-”

“Shut up! I'm thinking...Aww Jiyong was so cute as well! ” Mihyun stretched her legs out which meant that her feet were now bashing against Seunghyun's folded knees whilst she dreamt a delusional daydream. Her hands were clasped against her chest and her eyes hazily dazed off into the distance, Seunghyun leaned forward and waved a hand in front of her spaced out face.

“But it's not-”

“Shhh!!” Mihyun snapped back causing Seunghyun to jump back in fright, he must've lost forty years of his life then. Every time he tried to protest Mihyun would automatically cut him off, tell Seunghyun to shut up and say something even more embarrassing. So he just sat in silence waiting until her ridiculous daydream was over, it seemed like forever, although after a while the silence gave Seunghyun time to process what he actually thought. He couldn't come to a conclusion, he didn't want to define meeting Jiyong – he couldn't. The experience was so far from anything that Seunghyun had ever known before, he rarely met people who were openly honest, unmistakably sweet and just downright likeable. He wanted to dislike Jiyong for simply being so naturally friendly and bright but the task was near enough impossible.

Without warning Seunghyun's thoughts and his sibling's daydream came to an surprised end when their Mother appeared before them. She was grinning quite obviously at the sight of her children sitting down together and looking as if they were enjoying each others company for a change. Though Seunghyun soon learned that her grin was for a completely different reason

“As a treat for Mihyun getting a job and a treat for Seunghyun leaving the house I decided to get you both a present” Their Mother still grinned as she dramatically announced her presence, Seunghyun noticed that she was hiding something behind her back.

“What is it Ma?” Mihyun apprehensively asked, the life long experience of being a Choi had taught both children to be nervous about sudden surprises no matter if their intentions were good. Seunghyun merely gulped again sharing a bewildered glance with his Sister.

“Well...” Their Mother pulled the surprise out from behind her back and it yelped a rather threatening hello.

“A dog?!” Seunghyun puzzled as Mihyun leapt up onto her feet and scooped the little white fluff ball into her arms.

“It's so cuteeeeee!” Mihyun cooed bouncing the dog up and down like a baby. “Thanks Ma!” She pecked her Mother on the cheek before sitting back down on the floor next to Seunghyun. “Look isn't it the cutest thing?!” The little fluff ball was now being waved in Seunghyun's face.

“No it isn't” He looked the dog straight in the eyes and it growled.

“Look it's talking to you! Awww!” Mihyun set the dog down on the floor and it started manically running around. Before Seunghyun could escape the room though the bloody thing gnawed at his hands which up til now had been peacefully resting against the carpet.

“Ow! What the hell-!” Seunghyun leapt up and stared down at the dog “Did you see that?! It bit me!” Glancing down at his fingers he noticed a little indent on the top of his middle finger.

“Stop being such a wimp! It was giving you a kiss” Mihyun was still cooing whilst waving her arms about like an idiot in an attempt to attract the dogs attention. Her plan failed and the thing started to nip at Seunghyun's feet.

“Get that devil dog away from me!” Seunghyun complained speedily heading towards his Mother and the exit. “What an earth possessed you to get a dog?” He fired the question at his Mother as he slid past her and out of the door. She didn't get a chance to answer though because her Son had started to rant “A surprise is supposed to be nice like here I brought you all takeaway, I got you a new pair of trainers” His voice echoed as he left the kitchen, made his way down the hallway and stormed up the stairs. “Oh look I know how much you like Bearbricks so I brought you one, or a packet of sweets, or a new C.D, or you know something useful and not a stupid dog!” And with that Seunghyun Choi returned to being an angst ridden sixteen year old.

Slamming his door soundly shut the youngest Choi walked over to his bed and fell on it. He tried to remember all the good things about today, about Jiyong, about the coffee shop, and about how much plain fun he had. Whilst ignoring all the bad things like his Sister, Mother and the newly purchased fluffy spawn of Satan. He smiled when a picture of Jiyong painted itself on the insides of his eyelids, before now Seunghyun had barely thought about Jiyong's appearance, but looking back he recalled how pristine and together the scrawny guy looked.

“Before I go I just want to say thank you because without your help today I would've been clearing that childs mess up all day”

There was that feeling again, it was as if someone was reaching into his chest and gripping on tightly to his heart, it was suffocating but it felt so good. He reminisced the tiniest of details like how the sides of Jiyong's sorrel coloured hair were shaven but the top strands were ruffled into twisted feathery spikes with one side oddly longer than the other. He looked fashionable but still natural, it wasn't an over the top hairstyle but it must've took more than five minutes to perfect, the guy took pride in his appearance. Seunghyun liked how skinny and petite the guy was though he wasn't by any means frail, Jiyong looked naturally athletic something of which he himself envied. Seunghyun was always the abnormally tall guy who was a little stocky in regards to width and this had never failed to make him feel awkward around others, especially those who were naturally very attractive.

Not that Jiyong was attractive, that was a little overboard, but the guy was good looking, you know as good looking as a bloke can be.

“Seriously that was the nicest thing anyone has ever done for me”

He recalled Jiyong's words as if they were lyrics from an annoyingly catchy song, they seemed to float over every other thought, holding Seunghyun's confused brain hostage. And then there was that feeling again. He rolled over onto his back still keeping his eyes closed, afraid of opening his eyes and finding out that it was in actual fact a dream.

Mihyun was out of her mind, that was the only simple answer. “He even took you out for a coffee?!” What in the heck did she mean by that? Do people not usually do that sort of thing? Seunghyun was so rusty, perhaps he should ask someone? Yeah and who would he ask? Not his Mother or Sister. Then just who else was there? No one.

“Jiyong.” Seunghyun breathed, why did every single thought lead back to this guy? He shook his questions from his head as if they would fall out of ears and stood up. Seunghyun's gaze was now set upon something which hung from his bedroom wall, he stared at the square shaped object and felt unbelievably nervous. Seunghyun knew that he had to see Jiyong again in the meantime he just needed to come up with a good excuse.

“I can't go shopping again...” Seunghyun thought out loud as he paced next to his bedroom wall “I went today so that excuse wouldn't work say, if I was going to see him tomorrow” He thought long and hard, trying to mould every excuse in the book to meet his needs.

“Oh hey Jiyong! I was just in the area because you know I live around here and I was wondering if you had a mobile number or something so that I can stalk-talk-to you?” No that sounded stupid.

“Oh hi Jiyong! Fancy seeing you here, I just came in to buy...uh...bugger! What could I buy? A magazine. Yeah a magazine. What magazine it is? Oh you know the ones with pictures and words, nothing out of the ordinary...” No that sounded stupid too.

“Jiyong? I totally forgot you worked here...Yes it was only yesterday but I have a stupid memory” Nope. Definitely wouldn't work.

“I just wanted to see you again” Seunghyun sighed and stopped pacing “Because you're a really nice person. And yes I am six years old” Frustrated he kicked the side of his bed. “How did I end up this pathetic?!” He brushed his fingers through his unkempt hair and wondered.

 


 

Seunghyun sat beside his dear Halmoni on a bench right at the back of his Aunt's garden, everyone else was dotted around the front of the garden and occasionally a family member would glance back, point at Seunghyun and then return to the group conversation. Ever since Seunghyun, his Mother and Sister had arrived the atmosphere chillingly changed to quiet whispers though they were expecting an atmosphere of this kind. Currently his Mother and Mihyun were inside the house helping his only nice Aunt and Uncle prep the dinner leaving Seunghyun to keep his Gran company. He didn't mind and he actually enjoyed their lack of conversation, well that was until she started talking.

“I didn't expect to see you today” Halmoni's voice was almost like a whisper, weak like her ageing her body. She delicately studied her Grandson as he timidly answered

“You'll always see us Halmoni” Seunghyun's eyes were locked onto a little yellow weed which looked as if it was trying to grow its way out of the grass.

“Since Jaeseung passed-”

“I don't want to talk about it” Seunghyun cut her off. “We didn't come here to talk about it” His body stiffened at the name and the careless way in which his Gran just spoke it.

“You become more and more like him each day” She sighed. “I sometimes forget just how fast you youngsters grow” Seunghyun felt a dry, wrinkled hand cover the top of his own folded hands. “Sonja before we go in for dinner I want you to promise me something”

“Sure” He barely replied, eyes still focused on the yellow weed.

“Whatever happens you must not shut yourself away” Gently Seunghyun's Gran squeezed his hands. “You are special Seunghyun and you should share yourself with the world”

“I can't promise that Halmoni” Seunghyun's answer was soft yet filled to the brim with grief and sadness, he glanced up at his Gran and tried to smile. “I'm not special and the world just doesn't want people like me.” He shrugged whilst slipping his hands from hers “I'm not good at anything, I wasn't born for a particular reason. It's just how my life is suppose to be and I'm used to it” Seunghyun gently patted his Gran's hands before getting up and walking away, he couldn't bear that look of burdened despondency which every other adult seemed to give him. In all honesty he couldn't bear the thought of his Gran seeing him cry.

 


 

“!” Was the first word which greeted Seunghyun as he made his way down the street, he wasn't expecting to see Jinju and her friends sat at a table of an outside restaurant and the shock threw him off something rotten. As he passed they shouted more names, he tried to ignore them but one of them stuck out a leg and tripped him over. “ert!” One of them smugly cackled, “!” Another repeated, “How is unemployment Seunghyun?” Jinju asked from her perch. Seunghyun's hands stung from scraping against the ground, nonetheless he used them to get back up again he had to leave as quickly as possible. “Better than dating me?” Seunghyun tried to feel numb to her words and walked away. “! ert! Sicko!” The voices of the girls stuck inside Seunghyun's head like a bad ache, he couldn't shake their words from his brain and it didn't take him long to feel as if he deserved to be called such things. It was his own fault anyway.

 


 

“Ma I didn't mean it!” Seunghyun pleaded once he was in the doorway “I just- I don't know what came over me. Jinju just refused me and I just lost it, I liked her so much- please- please don't kick me out!” He lied and cried falling to his knees and burying his face into his Mother's feet. “It was just once, she was so nice to me, I'm so sorry!”

“Get up” His Mother's voice sounded untouched by her Son's pleading. “I said get up!” Seunghyun scrambled to his feet but kept his head bowed, he couldn't endure his Mother's heated gaze not now. “I am beyond disappointed in you, I expected so much more from you. You have no idea just much your Father would've been disgusted by this behaviour, you've disappointed me and you've disappointed his memory! Now get out of my sight!”

That night Seunghyun silently cried, he cried so hard that it was impossible for him to see, even when he had run out of tears his eyesight was still blurred. He leaned against the back of his bedroom door and sighed

“I'm sorry Pa” He bashed the back of his head as hard as he could against the hard timber. “I am so sorry” Wheezing Seunghyun's tears returned, he couldn't control how he felt but he needed to stop feeling. He would rather lie to his Mother and the rest of the world than have them discover the shame, the guilt. “It's all my fault!” Seunghyun's moral foundations were collapsing and just like them he crumbled, sliding down the door and into a pile on the floor.

More time passed and Seunghyun remained in his room, his Mother was still not speaking to him but his Sister kept trying. She said that she didn't believe that her baby Brother could do such a thing and she vowed to discover the truth. This meant that Seunghyun immediately stopped speaking to her, cutting all ties to her, fearful that she would uncover his lies. Time was of no consequence to Seunghyun, he was alone in his room and he liked it. He spent most of his days just laying flat out on his bed, imagining what he would do if he could reverse time, considering all the different ways in which he could possibly end everything and occasionally wondering why universal karma hadn't kicked Jinju up the rear yet. One day he rose from his bed and looked up to the mirror which hung slightly slanted on his wall. When he saw his swollen tear ridden reflection Seunghyun trembled, it was difficult for him to witness how feeble and inadequate he looked now, he couldn't stand the sight of his own face, the sight of his own judgemental eyes and so he turned the mirror around.

 


 

Seunghyun's eyes wearily scanned the square shaped object, he reached out to it and turned it back around. Seeing his own reflection in the mirror for the first time in months Seunghyun felt as if he was greeting an old friend, the memories from before flooded back to him and his body shook from the pressure. But still he kept looking at his reflection noticing that Jiyong was so right, Seunghyun looked scary and his hair had grown considerably long in such a short amount of time. Raising his hand to his fringe Seunghyun uncovered his hidden eye and combed the hair backwards, fully exposing his face. Perhaps he should get a haircut? And maybe some new clothes to go with that, Seunghyun laughed out when he noticed his tea covered shirt, the dried brown tea stains were still visible even on a black t-shirt and this thoroughly amused him. A smile looked good on his face and he rolled his eyes at the thought.

Hang on a minute, Seunghyun glanced down at his t-shirt, something from his attire was missing.

“My hoody!” He called out “Jiyong still has my hoody!” Relief washed over him when he realised that now he had the perfect excuse to see Jiyong again. “Yes!!” He raised a fist into the air and celebrated by attempting to dance on the spot, though Seunghyun failed to notice the corner of his bedsheets which stuck out from his bed at a funny angle and he tripped over it. Falling to floor Seunghyun couldn't help but laugh, he laughed so hard that he cried, and he stayed that way for a while. He didn't care that he may have just made a fool out of himself, he didn't care about the names, the memories, and lies, right now all that mattered was what tomorrow could bring.

Standing up Seunghyun brushed himself down and pulled a face in front of the mirror before heading out of his bedroom and back downstairs, he had a plan and he needed his family's help even if he did have to fight the devil dog off.

Jumping down the stairs two at a time Seunghyun bounded towards the kitchen, he ran through it and screeched to a halt when he finally reached the living room.

“Mihyun!” He called out to his Sister who was still playing on the floor with the dog. “Where's Ma?”

“In the garden” Mihyun casually replied “Why is something wrong?” She raised an eyebrow as she glanced up at her younger Brother.

“Nope not at all” Seunghyun smiled but this smile quickly faded when the devil dog boomeranged its way over to him. He had to try so hard to resist the urge to lift his foot up and kick the dog square in the face, alternatively Seunghyun tried to tell himself that he liked animals really.

“O.K” She smiled then called “Come here Bommie!” The dog stopped hurling itself at Seunghyun's feet and ran back over to Mihyun. “Bom, Bom, Bommie!”

“You've already named it?” Seunghyun observed from a hesitant distance.

“Yeah, why? Don't you like the name Bom?” She started to tickle the fluff ball and happy to be receiving attention it rolled onto its back.

“I do but it's a dog. Shouldn't you give it a stronger name? What if we are attacked? I can't shout Bom attack!” Just as Seunghyun finished joking the devil dog now known as Bom stood up and blankly looked at him.

“Let's test this theory shall we?” Mihyun chuckled “Bom attack!” She pointed at Seunghyun and the dog bolted in his direction again. Having predicted this Seunghyun ran back into the kitchen and pole vaulted outside then he shut the back door on the dog and laughed as it crashed into the translucent glass.

“Ha!” Seunghyun celebrated his victory over the devil dog by sticking his tongue out at it, the only thing the dog could do in reply was bark. He turned away from the back door and spotted his Mother who was halfway up the garden watering some plants. “Ma it's getting late what're you doing out here?” Questioning his Mother's motives Seunghyun shivered from the chill in the afternoon's changing air, she noticed his presence and turned around to face him.

“I was just watering the plants dear” She set the watering can down on the ground. “I thought that you were busy hiding from Bom in your bedroom?”

“Seriously the dog is called Bom?” He snickered under a breath “It's just typical of you and Mihyun to do things without me” Trying his best to look upset Seunghyun failed when he cracked a smile.

“I guess we're used to it” His Mother nonchalantly replied “Anyway, what do you want?” She placed her hands on her hips and started searching her Son for clues.

“Don't laugh at me Ma but, I, uh, have a question” Seunghyun agonisingly shifted on the spot, he had no idea how his thoughts were going to translate into spoken words.

“O.K ask away~”

“Well, how does someone look good? I mean, like how do you look attractive?” Nervous he bumbled on mixing his words up meanwhile his Mother burst into a fit of hysterical laughter.

“I thought you were going to ask me something serious!” Her laughter subsided and she sighed in relief, wiping her arm across her forehead.

“I am being serious...” Seunghyun grumbled looking everywhere else in the garden apart from his Mother.

“Right, I wish I could say that you look good already but I can't lie to my Son” The laughter returned as she answered causing the hair on the back of Seunghyun's neck to prickle from embarrassment. “The question is why do you want to look good all of a sudden?” Seunghyun was caught off guard by her question and glanced up at her.

“No particular reason...” His grin exposed this answer as a lie and for a change the woman who had given birth to him just happened to see right through the little lie.

“What's her name?” She questioned suspiciously eyeing up her Son.

“What?!” Seunghyun seemed to be used to choking on his own breath and so instead he just stood like a stuffed lemon, unable to move.

“I asked what her name is? I haven't seen you smile like that in such a long time” She grinned happy about the change so clearly visible in her Son. “So it must be a girls doing?”

“No” Seunghyun shot back without thinking.

“So it's not a girl?” If Seunghyun had to describe the current look on his Mother's face he would probably say that she looked halfway between flying into a fierce hulk rage and sarcastic joy.

“No” Seunghyun shook his head “It's just a friend-”

“A boy friend?” Her normally big eyes slanted into a steady gaze of concentration.

“A guy friend” Seunghyun slowly answered.

“As in a guy you are friends with or a guy that you're friends friends with?” Her question made no sense to her Son and he just stood flabbergasted by her, finally meeting her wide-eyed stare.

“Huh?” He mouthed a breathless response.

“You know, a guy can sometimes, how's the best way to say it, appreciate other men, you know, like a girl would...” Seunghyun had never seen his Mother look so flustered before whilst he had never felt so embarrassed.

“As in gay?” He followed her sentence with a slight shake of his head and tried to finish her weird sentence off.

“Not there's anything wrong with that-”

“No I'm not- Wait what?” Once his Mother's sentence had wormed its way through the cogs of Seunghyun's brain he paused, it was suddenly as if the mechanics of his brain ceased to work, there was a jam in the system.

“I said that there's nothing wrong with you being, you know, that way inclined” Her smile was somewhat forced and so Seunghyun questioned her reliability, not that it was of relevance to him.

“Well I'm not so yeah” Clearing his throat he felt the need to explain himself further. “I just want to look presentable, you know, as a man, especially if you're going to make me leave the house on a regular basis...” The reaction of his Mother to the last few words of his sentence was a little overwhelming, she immediately grabbed her son and squeezed the life out of him in the most claustrophobic hug that Seunghyun had ever received, if he had thought her hug from this morning was bad enough this one was ten times worse. When she released him from her arms she grabbed his hand and led him back into the house.

“Let's see what we can do” She confidently told her now anxious Son, just what had he gotten himself into? He shook his head, Jiyong was worth it. Did he really just think that? Aish... That guy...

The morning was bright and Seunghyun scarily found himself wide awake before the sun had a chance to invade his bedroom. He sat up after stretching out his sleep filled bones and slid out from under his bed covers, climbing out of his pillowed palace and over to the curtains to open them. The outside world poured into Seunghyun's little world and today he invited the sun in with a smile, simply because today was the day that he was going to find Jiyong. He was going to speak to him again and after all the torture he went through last night Seunghyun was ready.

Once he and his Mother had returned to the house they enlisted Mihyun's help (and Bom's if you can include standing in the doorway and just staring in fascination with the odd bark thrown in for good measure) to make Seunghyun over and boy did they go to town on him. At first Seunghyun hated being the focus of their entire attention, he hated being pushed, tugged and pulled about as he was shoved onto a kitchen bar stool and groomed until his face hurt. Though after a while the pain was bearable, even a little pleasurable, as he imagined the look on Jiyong's face when they next met. Seunghyun was going to be a completely different person, he was going to be confident and ask for a phone number and he wasn't going to take no for an answer. That night he decided that he would do whatever it took to cheer that supermarket boy up and repay Jiyong for doing the exact same thing to him. A haircut, pluck and itching face pack later Seunghyun was free, quickly he escaped to his bedroom and fell asleep for the rest of the night. Still seeing that image of Jiyong, he slept with a smile.

And that brings us back to the present day Seunghyun. He spun away from the window and wandered over to the mirror, he couldn't help but grin at his new reflection, the girls had done a wonderful job and he felt lifted. Seunghyun's chest felt lighter, though that feeling of tightness was still present, and he realised that he should probably stop staring at the mirror and get dressed. He bunched up all of his clothes that had been plastered along the floor and left them in a pile by the door then he made his way over to his unopened wardrobe. The layout of his bedroom was pretty simple you had a door, obviously, and next to that sat a bed, adjacent to the bed was a window which brightened the rest of the room up and a small wardrobe humbly sat in the corner of the room. That was it, Seunghyun didn't want much else in here considering the fact that his was the smallest room in the house, being the youngest and all had its wonderful perks.

Pulling the wardrobe doors opened Seunghyun studied his old works clothes. He had a couple of hangers which housed a black, a white and a grey suit. Then at the other end of the wardrobe sat his old black trench coat with a couple of multi-coloured shirts slotted either side of it. He tugged the coat out and threw it towards his bed then wondered about what to wear, he didn't want to wear his usual outfit consisting of t-shirts and jeans as he wanted to impress Jiyong, well he wanted to show off all the effort that his family had put into his new look, but he wasn't too sure about wearing a work suit either. In the end Seunghyun decided to go half and half wearing a pair of old jeans with a clean yellow work shirt, he remembered that one of Jiyong's favourite colours was yellow and smirked. Then he recalled the memory of the little yellow weed which tried with every inch of its stem to push its way out of grass and fight for its place in the world. The last words that he had ever heard from his Gran repeated over and over in his mind as Seunghyun buttoned the shirt up

“You are special Seunghyun and you should share yourself with the world”

“I'll do my best Halmoni” He caught his reflection in the mirror and sighed. “Look after me” Gazing up to the ceiling he smiled before heading out of his bedroom and back out into the world.

 


Your circumstances make me tear
If my voice brightens your world
Farther and farther, I'll shout
Nananana Nananana Do you hear my heavy heart?
Friend wipe your tears, I think you're prettier when you smile
.

- T.O.P's Oh Mom


 

Korean Terms as I understand them from my internet based knowledge:

Babo sometimes written as pabo = Fool/Idiot (Mihyun affectionately calls Seunghyun this)

Halmoni = Grandma/Nana

Sonja = Grandson