Jiyong's Birthday Pt. 2

Unlucky

They rushed up to the apartment, Seunghyun’s heart was racing so fast he felt as if he might collapse before they could even arrive and he followed Jiyong who was obviously the fastest runner of them all. When they reached Jiyong’s front door they paused for a moment, taking the brief minute to catch their breath back before he opened it. The door swung open and as soon as it did Seunghyun gently shoved his reluctant boyfriend into the darkness

“HAPPY BIRTHDAY!” The Birthday Team shouted as Bae flicked the lights on and the whole apartment burst into life. It was such a sight, even Seunghyun was gobsmacked. They entered the apartment with Jiyong shyly pressed into Seunghyun’s side barely whispering so that only his boyfriend could hear it

“It’s not even my birthday yet…” Seunghyun laughed at the shocked response whilst sliding a strong hand behind Jiyong’s back to guide him towards their group of family and friends.

“Surprise birthday boy!” Daesung literally cackled as he slid a sparkling green party hat over the top of Jiyong’s head, making sure that the string snapped against the birthday boy’s chin in the process.

“I- I- don’t know what to say…” Jiyong stammered whilst being yanked into several different hugs.

“That’s OK ‘cause people don’t usually talk at parties” Seungri cut in, he was the last one out of the bunch to give Jiyong a hug. “I don’t know if you remember me” He continued raising a playful eyebrow in Seunghyun’s direction. “But I’m Seungri” A deep bow followed causing Jiyong to crack up with laughter.

“Of course I remember you, you’re a cow” Jiyong took a minute to notice the confused look on Seungri’s face before he explained. “Oh I mean- not like that- You know you kind of moo when you’re drunk right?” Bae stepped in and clapped a hand on Seungri’s shoulder adding

“It’s true, anyway Ji let’s get some music on and start this party!” Whilst Bae spoke Jiyong grinned and glanced up at Seunghyun as if he was looking for some kind of answer.

“What?” Seunghyun asked, a second later an American pop song started to play and Jiyong leaned up to whisper into Seunghyun’s ear.

“Thank you” His grin widened as he stepped away and with a light giggle Jiyong was pulled away by Daesung. Seunghyun was left behind, momentarily stunned by the sincerity of the small whisper, and he smiled to himself whilst raising his hand to rub the leftover warmth of Jiyong’s breath from his ear. A minute later Seunghyun recovered, he walked over to where Jiyong was now sat with present upon present being overenthusiastically piled into his lap and he couldn’t help but grin too. Jiyong looked so happy, probably the happiest that Seunghyun had ever seen him although it wasn’t because of the presents being handed to him, no, he noticed that Jiyong was staring at everyone absorbing their kindness and birthday wishes through full watering eyes.

“Go on open it!” Bae and Daesung chimed at the same time whilst excitedly bouncing on the spot together.

“OK, OK…” Jiyong laughed and started to open the first present. Seunghyun was perfectly happy with watching his boyfriend from the other side of the coffee table, well that was until he felt a certain set of arms wrap around his legs.

“Samchon!” The only obvious culprit squeaked as Seunghyun chuckled, ducking down to scoop Yonghyun from the floor and into his arms.

“No, that’s Samchon” Seunghyun pointed at Jiyong who was holding what looked like a rather expensive purple coat into the air.

“I want presents…” Yonghyun huffed then snuggled up against Seunghyun’s shoulder.

“But you’ve got me!” Seunghyun jokingly huffed with equal measure and squeezed the little boy.

“Hey” A hand gently brushed Seunghyun’s back as Dami moved to stand beside him. He quickly glanced at her before returning his gaze to Jiyong. “Now that’s no way to treat your elder, is it?” She tutted at her Son

“Hi” Seunghyun cheerfully replied watching as Jiyong stood up and pounced onto his best friends.

“Then what do I call Big Hyun? Isn’t he family?” Yonghyun innocently asked peeking from his Mother to Seunghyun with wide eyes.

“Hmm well that’s up to Seunghyun isn’t it? He and Jiyong aren’t married” Dami slowly tried to explain to Yonghyun.

“You can call me anything you want” Seunghyun absentmindedly replied as Jiyong screamed and held up his next present which might’ve been a jewellery box Seunghyun really had no idea.

“But it’s so expensive!!” Was all he heard from Jiyong who was now pouncing on a rather pleased Mihyun.

“How about we call him Sookmo?” Dami teased whilst lightly jabbing Seunghyun with her elbow.

“Sookmo!” Yonghyun excitedly repeated suddenly bouncing up and down in Seunghyun’s arms. The man himself was about to express his displeasure at being called Yonghyun’s “Uncle’s wife” when Jiyong started to cry and his attention automatically snapped back to his boyfriend.

“Dami?!” Jiyong called holding the photo frame up, it was an old photo of the siblings holding each other’s hands and walking along a beach somewhere.

“What? You didn’t think that I kept some photos of my own? Silly boy!” Dami smirked as she walked up to Jiyong and ruffled his hair.

“It’s perfect” He beamed up at her through still tearful eyes.

“I know” She chortled, resuming her previous position by Seunghyun’s side.

“Next present!” Seunghyun snapped back into life at the sound of his Ma’s voice and felt a little guilty that he’d somehow forgotten about everyone else in the room. She sat beside Jiyong on the sofa and held out a big (-ish) box in his direction.

“Mrs. Choi you really didn’t have-”

“Please, call me Eomoni” Seunghyun’s Ma smiled as Jiyong cautiously took the box from her. Carefully he ripped the wrapping paper off then opened up a plain green box, a minute later and Jiyong was laughing.

“It’s a bucket Eomoni” Jiyong half sobbed-half cried, Seunghyun couldn’t really tell the difference anymore and he frowned at the small flowery bucket.

“Don’t forget the spading fork, shovel and matching gloves!” Seunghyun’s Ma chuckled as she pulled these various items out of the box. “I thought I’d give you a head start so that you could perfect your craft before you have a garden of your own” Jiyong looked as if he was crying harder but Seunghyun couldn’t really see because the next thing everyone knew Seunghyun’s Ma grabbed Jiyong and pulled him into a tight embrace. She whispered something in his ear as they parted and Jiyong smiled automatically searching the room for Seunghyun. When their eyes locked Jiyong merely sent a small smile in his boyfriend’s direction which obviously caused the latter’s face to flush. Seunghyun tried to predict what his Ma could’ve said but his mind drew a blank.

“Thank you… Thank you” Jiyong breathlessly replied as a little present was handed to him by Seungri. When he opened the present his eyes widened immediately slamming the box shaped present closed, he eyed Seungri up suspiciously before burying the box into his pocket. “Thank you Seungri” The man in question simply giggled to himself then winked at Bae who laughed, whatever it was it must’ve been embarrassing and then Seungri’s eyes fell on Seunghyun. One wink later and Seunghyun felt just as embarrassed as Jiyong looked though he had no idea what the present was or what these sudden looks meant, well that was a strange feeling…

Once all the presents were open Bae insisted on having everyone dance in the makeshift dance floor that used to be their living room. Seunghyun was leant against the furthest away wall sipping from a neon yellow straw and a can of coke. He was attempting to blend, a subtle technique he’d perfected throughout his high school years, of sinking into the wall and pretending to be invisible. The plan was working, everyone was on the dance floor, and he was content with just watching Jiyong trying to dance with Yonghyun. The sight made his heart skip wondering what it would be like if he and Jiyong were to ever have a family, of course they’d probably have to adopt or something but the thought was light and uplifting. All thoughts of a future which consisted of Jiyong had this effect on Seunghyun. He imagined that their kid would be cute, a little person with flowing curls like Jiyong’s but with the height of their tallest Pa. Though all thoughts of parenthood halted when Seunghyun thought about his own Pa and as he watched the two dance he recalled his Pa’s wise words

“There is nothing wrong with saving yourself for someone special. You have to do what you feel and if you don’t feel a certain way then you shouldn’t try to force yourself. Feelings happen and there’s nothing you can do to control them.”

Seunghyun smiled, the warmth in his heart increasing tenfold. He glanced around taking in the sight of his family; Bae and Seungri had somehow managed to make a protesting Daesung sandwich, Mihyun was twirling their Ma about as if they were doing some sort of ballroom dance, and the Kwon’s were dancing together with Dami interrupting and creating a mini circle. Seunghyun finally felt at home, he didn’t need any more than this, everything was perfect. As long as he could make these people happy, Seunghyun thought, then he’d be happy and he realised that he would do anything for the people in this room without an ounce of hesitation.

Of course someone soon noticed the fly on the wall and without further ado Jiyong broke the shuffling circle to approach his boyfriend. He looked shy, nibbling on his bottom lip as he stepped closer. Once he was within speaking range Jiyong reached forward and tapped on Seunghyun’s empty can.

“You did all this” Jiyong simply stated as he continued to step closer to his boyfriend.

“Well no” Seunghyun chuckled “I didn’t really do much, I mean, it was those guys who-” The rest of Seunghyun’s conversation was cut off by Jiyong’s lips who from out of nowhere greeted Seunghyun’s. The kiss was light and polite, with Jiyong remembering about the guests in the room. Seunghyun actually grumbled when Jiyong had to forcefully pull away then he thought of the reason why and felt a little embarrassed at the sight.

“Dance with me?” Jiyong asked in an almost husky whisper, as if he was breathless.

“You already know that I have two left feet” Seunghyun mumbled placing his empty can on the small buffet table which was beside him.

“And? I have two right feet, match made in heaven” Jiyong retorted grabbing Seunghyun’s hands and dragging him into the centre of the room. A much slower song started to play (from the look Seungri gave him Seunghyun wondered if that was more than a sheer coincidence) and Jiyong took the lead, sliding his arms around Seunghyun’s neck to pull him closer.

 

You and I calling each other friends is awkward,

It’s better to use the word, lovers

 

Seunghyun slipped his hands around Jiyong’s waist and returned the bright smile which his beautiful boyfriend was giving him from below. There wasn’t that much of a height difference between them but it was enough to make Jiyong stand straight and for Seunghyun to lean down a little.

 

Oh, I will confess my heart for the first time,

I will bring the stars in the sky for you, whatever you want,

Oh I can do it for you~

 

Still the dance was a little awkward, to anyone who wasn’t Seunghyun or Jiyong it probably looked like two robots trying to hug, but to them it was the most natural free flowing feeling in the world.

 

Oh I love you love you love you,

You love me love me love me,

I know how you feel about me (your heart)

Oh I love you love you love you,

Are you love me love me baby,

Because I love you too~

 

“I guess you’re not such a bingu after all” Jiyong lowly spoke as he leaned up to whisper in Seunghyun’s ear.

“And why’s that?” Seunghyun whispered back gently nudging Jiyong’s ear with his nose once he’d finished speaking.

 

I’m a fool, I’m a fool who only sees you, I love you,

No matter what anyone says or teases, I will be a fool who only sees you,

I’m a fool, I’m a fool who only sees you, hold my hand,

Hug me, I’m a fool who only loves you~

 

“Because despite everything, all the ups and downs we’ve been through, you’re still here” Jiyong softly replied moving one set of fingers in a tender circular motion along the curve of Seunghyun’s neck, mapping out the space between where Seunghyun’s hair ended and bare neck began.

 

I fall asleep while thinking of only you,

In my dream, I only dream of you,

Oh and then I wake up in the morning~

 

“I’ll always be here” Seunghyun choked slightly “And you’re forgetting one little thing” Tears of happiness filled his eyes and he sniffled, trying to prevent them from escaping.

“Oh?” Jiyong sung pressing his glowing body even closer to Seunghyun.

 

Oh I love you love you love you,

You love me love me love me,

I know how you feel about me (your heart),

Oh I love you love you love you,

Are you love me love me baby,

Because I love you too~

 

“I’m still making it up to you” Seunghyun grinned whilst pressing a tiny kiss against Jiyong’s ear. “You know, for giving me a tea wash, making you jump into a stack of shelves and you want to know the stupidest thing that I have ever done?”

“What’s that?” Jiyong let out a small cough before Seunghyun continued.

 

Baby want your love, Baby want your love,

Love you love you I’ll take you in to my mind,

Baby want your love, Baby want your love Oh oh~

 

“I stopped running” Seunghyun answered, the emotion of the moment clearly taking over and forcing his voice to crack.

 

I’m a fool, I’m a fool who only sees you, I thank you,

All my friends are jealous because of the fool who only sees me,

You’re a fool, a fool who only sees me, I will trust you forever,

Let’s be together, fools who only look at each other~

 

Jiyong stopped dancing to pull back slightly, once they could look at each other face to face he spoke through tears.

“Oh Seunghyun…” He breathed slipping his hands down Seunghyun’s arms to hold his hands. “Don’t you dare ever say that again” Jiyong sternly spoke though he was still crying.

“What? It’s true” Seunghyun shrugged “I should’ve chased you until one of us collapsed and I’m guessing that it would’ve been me so you know, you would’ve come back for me”

“I take back everything I just said” A scarce smile curved Jiyong’s lips as he spoke “You’re still a bingu”

 

Baby want your love, Baby want your love,

Love you love you I’ll take you in to my mind,

 

 “You would’ve come back for me though right?” Seunghyun asked quizzically frowning at his boyfriend.

“Of course I would have” Jiyong’s smile grew “But only so I could kiss some sense into you. I am so sorry for leaving you behind that day”

“Ji I completely understand, it was all too overwhelming for you, let’s just leave that in the past and look forward to the future” Seunghyun lovingly squeezed Jiyong’s hands once he’d finished speaking.

“I love you so much Hyunnie” Jiyong’s thumbs simultaneously the arch between Seunghyun’s thumb and forefinger, the touch instantly made Seunghyun grin.

“I love you so much too Yongie, now let’s dance shall we?”

 

Baby want your love, Baby want your love,

Love you love you I’ll take you in to my mind~

 


 

Seunghyun and Jiyong had become too infused in their love and terrible dancing skills that they didn’t notice when a few of the dance floor inhabitants snuck out of the room. It was only when the rest of the dancers stopped and started singing that they noticed, even Seunghyun was stunned. The pair turned around to see Bae and Daesung carrying in what looked like a birthday cake.

 

“Saeng-il chukahamnida, We celebrate your birthday,

Saeng-il chukahamnida, We celebrate your birthday,

Saranghaneun Jiyong-shi, Our beloved Jiyong,

Saeng-il chukahamnida, We celebrate your birthday

 

Yes it was definitely a birthday cake then Seunghyun remembered how it was all a part of the plan and that he’d left the guys to sort out the finalities of the cake. Wow, he smiled as Jiyong’s eyes locked onto the cake. It just looked a mountain of chocolately goodness, even Seunghyun his lips and he wasn’t even that hungry.

“Ohmygod!” Jiyong exhaled the words in one long breath. “You guys…” He stared at everyone in turn.

“Quick you’ve gotta blow your candles out and make a wish!” Bae urged before Jiyong dipped his head and started to blow his candles out as he did so, Seunghyun noticed, he closed his eyes.

“Hooray!” Everyone cheered once the last candle had been blown out and Jiyong opened his eyes to look at Seunghyun.

“You couldn’t have made a wish in that short amount of time?” Daesung pointed out whilst the birthday boy took a step back from the cake.

“You’re right, I didn’t make a wish” Jiyong thoughtfully replied “Because I have everything that I could ever wish for and more right here” He knitted his fingers with Seunghyun’s and the latter swore that Jiyong was glowing - he honestly looked so amazing and happy. Seunghyun couldn’t resist feeling exactly the same and his chest swelled at the words. “But I do want that piece of the cake, with the marshmallows” He joked pointing at the top of the cake. They wandered over to the buffet table and placed the cake there, Daesung took it upon himself to make sure that everyone got their fair share though he did give Jiyong a huge piece with a cheeky wink.

Seunghyun sat on the sofa picking at the edge of his cake with his fork, Jiyong was sat beside him shovelling the contents of his paper plate down his throat as if it was his last supper. Normally Seunghyun would’ve smiled at the endearing sight but as of right now his nerves were getting the best of him, he knew that the party was in full swing and he wanted to enjoy the occasion as much as he could. However, worries about the oncoming Private View and if Jiyong’s parents would be there were really starting to agitate him. Then he worried about whether Jiyong would like his present or not and from that a list of new concerns built up in his mind distracting him from the fun at hand. Jiyong didn’t seem to notice and once he’d finished his cake he was dragged back onto the makeshift dance floor by his friends and Sister, shooting an apologetic look in Seunghyun’s direction as he was dragged.

He merely smiled in reply but then took the opportunity to take his half eaten into the kitchen, to bin. Although once Seunghyun stepped behind the counter and placed the plate into the bin he was yanked by a certain familiar hand quickly finding himself face to face with his Mother.

“Why do you look as if you’re about to faint?” She bluntly questioned feeling her Son for a temperature.

“Shh!” Seunghyun hissed flicking his Ma’s hand away with his own. “I’m fine, just nervous that’s all” He whispered turning his back on his Ma to look over the counter and at Jiyong, who was still utterly oblivious, phew. “It’s the private view in two hours and I’m planning on taking Jiyong away with me in an hour” He continued once his Ma was mimicking his position of leaning over the counter, elbows resting on the countertop and chins pressed into  curved palms.

“Ah I see” She said with an affirmative nod.

“I just keep overthinking things and worrying about if he’ll like it or not” Seunghyun admitted still keeping his gaze forwards on Jiyong.

“Seunghyun dear, you could give him a pair of socks and he’d still love it. Honestly, he’ll love anything you do for him” Seunghyun’s Ma affectionately rested her head against her Son’s shoulder.

“Aw well you’ve only gone and spoilt the surprise” Seunghyun joked leaning away from her little as she lifted her head up. “You know Ma I’d be really lost without you and I don’t think I’ve ever thanked you properly, you know for sticking by me and loving me unconditionally” He leaned towards her then once Seunghyun was close enough he wrapped his arms around his Ma, gently squeezing her in the process.

“You don’t have to thank me” Seunghyun’s Ma answered as he released the hug. “Because that’s what we parents do” She smiled then reached up to brush her Sons cheek with her thumb, he leaned into the contact and smiled too. “You look so much like your Father nowadays, he would’ve been so proud to know you as the man you are today, the man we both knew you would grow into and I hope you realise this” As she lowered her hand Seunghyun sniffled rubbing one eye with a closed fist.

“Thank you” He cleared his throat as he wiped a few stray tears away. “I’ll always do my best to make you both proud”

“I know” Seunghyun’s Ma beamed.

 


 

The time soon came for Seunghyun to excuse the birthday boy from his own party and hastily lead him out of the apartment. The event happened much smoother than what Seunghyun had anticipated Jiyong just simply took a hold of Seunghyun’s hand and thanked everyone for giving him the best birthday party of his life. One the reasons that their exit went smoother than what Seunghyun imagined was probably due to the fact that the Birthday Team knew exactly what was about to happen and sent Seunghyun secret smiles as they said their goodbyes. When they were finally out of the apartment building he decided to explain himself a little.

“I’ve got just one last thing planned for this evening” He started as they wandered down the street, it was cold so instead of holding hands they linked arms opting to keep their cold hands in their coat pockets instead. Jiyong was wearing his new fancy purple coat which Bae and Dae had brought him whilst Seunghyun was wearing his usual black trench coat. Their look was casual yet it wasn’t too shabby, if Seunghyun said so himself.

“Hyun the party was enough…” Jiyong timidly mumbled, subconsciously shifting closer to Seunghyun on the pavement.

“Well I’m glad you think so” Seunghyun nonchalantly answered, trying his best to remain cool. “But I haven’t given you my present yet” He grinned at the look of shock which momentarily left his boyfriend’s mouth hanging wide open.

“What?! A present?” He breathlessly stammered.

“Yup, come on” Seunghyun smirked whilst he picked up his pace and effectively tugged Jiyong down the street. They reached the art gallery in what felt like no time at all and once there Seunghyun turned left heading towards the back, he knew exactly where he was going whereas Jiyong still looked perplexed by the thought of a present. Turning left led them through a gate which the security guard opened upon recognising Seunghyun from his earlier visit and he led his boyfriend through, turning right and into the gallery’s Sculpture Garden.

On his little detour during his lunch break the art gallery’s director Mr. Kim had shown him around, even showing him the back of the gallery which led into this wonderful nirvana inspired space. Seunghyun instantly recognised the hedged maze, taking a right then a left, another right and yet another right. This led them into a little secluded part of the maze, the rest of the garden was closed off for the Private View but after talking to Mr. Kim for long enough Seunghyun had discovered that the man was pure romantic and eagerly gave him permission to use the closed off space. It was a small hedged square with a silver bench in the middle, pretty simple though it did look stunning. Seunghyun felt Jiyong take in a sharp breath of air as the former led his boyfriend to the bench and encouraged him to sit, Jiyong cautiously obeyed.

“This place is beautiful…” Jiyong marvelled at the space as if he had just entered Wonderland. Seunghyun took his time to sit beside Jiyong so that his boyfriend could have a good look around before he threw the next bombshell on him. A few minutes later and Seunghyun fished the black and white bag out of the plastic bag which he’d been trying to hide all the way here.

“This is just one part of my present to you Yongie” He smiled when Jiyong shakily took the black and white velvet pattern bag and sat it in his lap.

“What is it?” Jiyong asked glancing down at the bag.

“Well you won’t know unless you open it” Seunghyun laughed as he shuffled closer to Jiyong on the bench, he slotted an arm along the top of the interwoven strands of steel whilst patiently waiting for his boyfriend to carefully pry the bag open. He lifted the wrapped present out whilst Seunghyun held the bag for him and moved it onto his own lap. After a minute of looking, as if he was trying to guess what it was, Jiyong ripped the paper open and frowned when it was revealed to be a black book. He opened the first page and his frown only deepened as he read aloud;

 

“To my dearest Son,

One day I hope you will put this book to good use and understand that the most valuable things in life need not be expensive. I know the future you will figure it out.

All my love,

Pa, Your loving Father.”

 

He looked to the next page and then read that aloud;

 

“To my dearest Jiyong,

My Father made this book for me one Christmas and I didn’t understand what he could mean by giving me such a ridiculous present. I can only understand my Father’s words because of you, loving you and everything that we have are the most valuable things in my life. From the very first day that I met you, when I offered you that sliver of kindness, you opened up my entire world and I realise that even the smallest of actions can mean the world to someone. Thank you for adding worth into my little world.

All my love,

Seunghyun x”

 

Jiyong cried as he read the second letter though the tears didn’t stop him from turning the page and he gasped at the contents of the book. A shaky hand traced the various photos as he explored the book and he remained silent until he reached the letters on the very last pages. Seunghyun patiently waited, studying Jiyong for the slightest reaction, although the only obvious consequence was the steady flow of tears which were still streaming from Jiyong’s eyes. After reading the letters from Bae, Daesung and rereading Seunghyun’s Jiyong finally spoke, his voice scratchy and vulnerable.

“This is beautiful” Jiyong spoke as he lightly closed the book. “You really were a book publisher, weren’t you?” His eyes were still fixed on the plain cover of the book but Seunghyun smiled.

“I didn’t really publish the books per se, I just used to proof read them” He tried to explain.

“It’s beautiful either way” Jiyong answered trailing an index finger down the book’s spine. “I take it Bae gave you my portfolio?”

“Yeah, he said that he was saving it for someone special” Seunghyun honestly answered “Because he knew how great you were and that you just needed someone to give you a good kick” He nervously laughed, admittedly Jiyong’s lack of response was about to drive him insane.

“Hm” Jiyong gently hummed as a small smile contradicted his flow of tears. “It’s weird how people can take things for granted” He sighed and finally looked up at Seunghyun. “I won’t ever forget this birthday and especially your gift, it means a lot to me”

“Well that’s only half of it” Seunghyun repeated his point from earlier. “You know where we are right?” Jiyong glanced around at their surroundings again.

“Are we at the Art Gallery?”

“Yup” Seunghyun mysteriously replied whilst standing up and offering his hand to Jiyong. “Come on the night is young birthday boy” He playfully smirked when Jiyong reached up and held his hand. With one tug Jiyong was on his feet and after slipping Jiyong’s book back into his bag, with Seunghyun carrying it, they wandered back out of the maze, out of the gate and around to the front of the building.

There was a growing queue of people who were lined up waiting and ready to go. Seunghyun walked over to the queue fishing their tickets out of his pockets, letting Jiyong’s hand go for a second, and he was about to join the waiting line when one of the guards on the door called after them.

“Excuse me! Is that an invitation in your hand?” Seunghyun nodded in response to the question raising the two pieces of white paper up for the man to see. “Come this way then Sir, that is the side for people without tickets”

“I thought you couldn’t get in without tickets?” Seunghyun questioned as they approached the guard on the door.

“You can’t but the media and art critics have to form a line to purchase them” The guard smirked slightly as he stamped their tickets then opened the door for them to walk in. Just as Seunghyun was about to further explain himself the Gallery’s Director Mr. Kim formally greeted them, with what could only be described as the deepest bow in existence and long deliberate handshake.

“It’s good to see you again Mr. Choi” He politely greeted then turned to Jiyong. “Is this Mr. Kwon? The artist behind that magnificent piece everyone is just dying to talk about?”

“Yes this is him” Seunghyun tried to hold in his laughter at the look of pure bewilderment on his boyfriend’s stupefied face.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr. Kwon, you must give me your details so that I can sell the piece, truly it’s wonderful, and I hope you both have a fantastic evening” Following yet another handshake between the Gallery Director and a stunned Jiyong Seunghyun led his boyfriend by the elbow further into the exhibition.

“Am I dead?” Jiyong quietly asked whilst staring around the white walled gallery with glassy eyes.

“Nope, it’s just your birthday” Seunghyun replied purposely looking for Jiyong’s piece. When he eventually found it Seunghyun steered Jiyong over to the space just in front of it. “And this is my second present to you” He turned to whisper into Jiyong’s ear once they were stood right in front of the A3 sized photograph.

“Wow…” Jiyong heavily exhaled whilst completely halting in his tracks and staring up at the photograph, completely star struck. “You know it’s going to be really difficult for you to top this at Christmas…” Jiyong mumbled to himself and now Seunghyun definitely laughed.

“Oh I’ll give it go” Seunghyun happily accepted the challenge as he stepped behind his boyfriend to gently squeeze his shoulders. “So? What do we think? Do we like it?”

“I-uh-” Just as Jiyong started to stammer a voice cut his ramble short.

“Jiyong-ah, I’m so proud of you, this is lovely” Both Seunghyun and Jiyong turned to face the voice, they were surprised to find that it belonged to Jiyong’s Mother who was stood a few meters away with a huge smile on her face. Right away they looked for Jiyong’s Father though as she took a step closer they could see that no one was following her.

“Umma?” Jiyong instantly grabbed Seunghyun’s hand on instinct and locked their fingers together, uncaring about what the rest of the gallery/his Mother might think as if he needed the physical support of his boyfriend more. Seunghyun gently squeezed their hands together in return.

“I don’t want to lose you Ji-ah, please accept my deepest apologies” Jiyong’s Mother was finally within reach yet Seunghyun couldn’t help but notice the way in which Jiyong took a small step backwards. “I should’ve spoken up, I should’ve stopped your Father, and I’m so sorry” She was pleading, almost bending over like a beggar, and the sight was upsetting to see. The hold on Seunghyun’s hand tightened

“I don’t want to hear your regrets” Jiyong finally spoke after what felt like an eternity later. “I don’t want to hear about how sorry you are, words are of no consequence to me anymore” His tone was thick, heavy with an emotion which Seunghyun couldn’t quite figure out. “You did nothing Umma, you stood and watched. Watched- I can’t just forgive you for what you both did but I’m glad that you’re here” Seunghyun looked away as Jiyong’s Mother started to tear up, instead he glanced sideways to Jiyong who, to Seunghyun’s surprise, turned back around to face his photograph. He didn’t know whether to turn around too but at the same time he didn’t want this to be the end of their relationship, obviously Seunghyun felt some sort of hope that maybe sometime in the future the two could move on and rebuild their relationship. As Seunghyun was deciding his next move his eyes unintentionally shifted back to look at Jiyong’s Mother, she was already looking at him, eyes wide and a visible expression of hope - confirming exactly what Seunghyun felt.

Although he decided to not do anything, it wasn’t his place to force them together and he could only do so much. Seunghyun turned, taking a step forward to stand with Jiyong, their hands were still tightly clasped together and Jiyong seemed to smile at his boyfriends return. More silence fell between the people in the gallery though some music did start to play, it sounded like a piano and everyone seemed to look to the opposite side of the room, Seunghyun and Jiyong included. The main hall of the gallery, if you like, was a simple square shape and in the far left corner sat a piano and lo and behold someone was playing it. No one had really noticed the man before, he looked as if he was in his early twenties and was dressed a little too casually for the occasion. The tune was a jazzy piece, something simple but with a quick pace and after a minute of staring people flitted back over to the entrance.

Curious Seunghyun led Jiyong over to the small crowd, there were two things going on over here; one was a pair of dancers in white spandex who were doing some weird looking ballet dance which was constantly stuck in slow motion whereas the second thing was a trio of waiters who were handing out free wine and juice. It was a little disappointing to Seunghyun so he went to move back to Jiyong’s piece but was pulled back when his boyfriend didn’t follow. Jiyong was rooted to the spot eyes fixed on the two dancers, he was biting his lip as if he was in deep thought and Seunghyun wondered what was going on in Jiyong’s pretty head. He tried to watch the dancers, he really did, but he couldn’t take them seriously - it was just all so boring and slow.

Once the dancers had finished (with what just looked like a delayed constipated twirl) Jiyong started to furiously clap, like a seal out of water, causing Seunghyun to bite the insides of his cheeks, trying to keep his laughter in. Then a thought settled in Seunghyun’s slightly immature brain, it clicked and everything suddenly made sense. Jiyong belonged in this sort of environment, a place where he couldn’t feel afraid of his own creativity, a place for dreamers like him, and Seunghyun clapped.

“I see you enjoyed the performance” Mr. Kim’s head seemed to pop out of thin air from beside Seunghyun which forced the seals to stop clapping, luckily just as the crowd were doing the same thing.

“It was so touching” Jiyong slowly replied, his eyes gleamed with a watery layer of emotion but still fixed on the spot where the two dancers were.

“Ah that’s a relief” Mr. Kim audibly exhaled “I was worried about the impact of having two women dance together like that” He deeply chuckled under his breath. Wait, the two dancers were women? Seunghyun mentally slapped himself for finding their performance so amusing and swore that sometime soon he’d go and get his eyes tested.

“That’s why I thought it was beautiful” Jiyong consciously slipped his hand from Seunghyun’s to wrap it along with his other hand around his upper body. “It was like you could feel their story through the dance, the way they expressed their friendship and trust, like fragile snowflakes threatening to melt away at any given minute - that’s where the tension came from. The doubts of a friendship, the tenuity of human relationships” Wow… Seunghyun could only gaze at Jiyong in wonder as his boyfriend’s words flew straight over his head. Now he really regretted thinking that they looked constipated, perhaps he was never supposed to understand art? Well only when Jiyong explained it so eloquently.

“Such a tender view of the performance Mr. Kwon, I’m impressed” Mr. Kim walked around Seunghyun to stand in front of Jiyong. “I know that this might sound a little too farfetched but we offer artist residencies at our gallery and perhaps sometime in the not too distant future you’d apply for one? It’s a pretty basic residency, you do paid work at the gallery whilst we provide you with a specific space dedicated to the work you produce, of course you’d have to fill out an application form as well as have an interview and we’d need to see a portfolio”

“Wow, I don’t know what to say…” Jiyong seized up, matching exactly how Seunghyun had been for the past two minutes or so.

“Just say you’ll apply if I return with a form for you?” Mr. Kim’s chuckle returned but amplified to a much louder level.

“I will!” Jiyong replied obviously flustered, his cheeks were a much deeper shade of pink and Seunghyun briefly worried whether his boyfriend’s eyes would pop out. “Thank you!” He shakily continued as he bowed his head.

“Great! I’ll return within the hour, please enjoy the rest of the show” Mr. Kim returned the bow then walked away leaving Seunghyun and Jiyong to stand like a pair of stuffed lemons.

“Ji-ah” The familiar voice of Jiyong’s Mother called from beside her Son, both heads slowly rotated around to look at her still visibly in shock. Seunghyun couldn’t really process what had just happened and maybe it was the same for Jiyong. He never thought in a million years that a few hours spent in an art gallery could be so overwhelming.

“Umma did you hear that?!” Jiyong’s arms fell to his sides and turned his back on Seunghyun to face his Mother.

“Yes I did, that’s amazing- you should definitely do it!” She burst with genuine excitement.

“Seunghyun” Jiyong snapped back around to face his boyfriend “He said paid work”

“I know…” Seunghyun slowly replied fighting an inner processing problem in his brain.

“I can’t believe it!” Seunghyun had to quickly recover because before he knew it Jiyong jumped onto him, clamping his arms around Seunghyun and forcing the latter to catch him. Without an ounce of hesitance Seunghyun caught his much smaller boyfriend and held him tightly, the display of sudden public affection did gain them some attention but they didn’t care, both were completely lost in their happiness and surprise. Jiyong buried his face into Seunghyun’s neck as he continued to talk “You did all this-”

It was his earlier accusation and Seunghyun grinned at the thought, though when he was about to correct Jiyong his boyfriend added

“- For me”

“Of course, I’d do anything for you” Seunghyun dotingly answered once he’d carefully placed Jiyong back onto the floor.

“I’m the luckiest person in the world” Jiyong breathed, wiping at his tearful eyes with one hand.

“Luck?” Seunghyun smirked as he raised his hands to Jiyong’s cheeks and flicked some tears away with a few light from his thumbs. “I wouldn’t say that we’re lucky” He paused gradually leaning in towards to Jiyong “Actually we’re kind of the exact opposite of that.”

 


 

Listen to my story,

I saw a falling star,

And I made a wish upon the tiny spark, then

My heart belongs to you forever, forever more,

I hope my wish can be heard to the sky…

 

Do you know the story of you and me

That is shining in this world?

Unchangingly always by my side,

Your heart is making me shine.

 

Hey, look at the night sky

Do you know why that glitters?

Our minds become a star with one accord,

Glitter in the night sky. And like your mind, baby.

And it is shining somewhere tonight.

 

I hope that this feeling

Can continue shining on forever,

Yes, I hope that your and my feelings,

Will surely become a single star,

I sing a song with all my heart, my heart.

- CNBLUE's Starlit Night.