[8] Meetings

The tug of the heart

You entered the elevator and nervously pressed the 22nd floor, you had then clasped your hands together and fumbled with your fingers. Negative thoughts whirred around your head and set you in a gloomy mood. You fidgeted with your hands as you tapped your foot impatiently. The echo bounced off the walls and magnified your taps. You cursed slightly and vowed to never make an attempt to peep a sound in elevators again. Secretly, you had blamed the elevator incident on why Luhan was so ignorant of you, you drew the conclusion that we was a quiet person that immensely disliked noise, just like yourself, but pushed down the fact that maybe he just might dislike you in general. The thought loomed over you as the elevator continued to lurch upwards. As the doors binged open, your trance was broken and another wave of nerves hit.

You fiddled your way down the corridor and felt nostalgic as the receptionist gave you the same eye smile as the first day.

"He's waiting for you, just follow through" she directed as you returned with a weak smile yourself. As you stood behind the office door you began pacing your breath. With one last breath, you opened the door to reveal the CEO behind his desk as his assistant sorted through her forms.

"Take a seat Eun Mi" he gestured. "Now, as you know, we've been working hard to cover up the incident and we're in the ending stages of clearing everything up" he began as you took a seat.

"Oh, that's good, I'm really thankful Sir" you replied, feeling quite relieved.

"Now all that's left is a small private press conference which requires you to attend. I want this sorted before I leave for Korea, and before exo debut, I've been working and planning for years, and I would like a conflict free debut."

"Yes of course, when is the conference sir" you replied as your nerves set in once again.

"Tomorrow, we've organised for transport and the necessary information you need to know for an effective conference" the assistant piped in as she set down a folder for you. "Please study these carefully" the CEO commented.

---

The elevator doors dinged open once again and you tiptoed on, hesitant to make sound, you hugged to folder to your chest and sighed.

"So much mess" you murmured almost silently as you retracted back into that faithful cold winter day. It was just a bag getting caught; I swear it was photo shopped to be more, you thought blandly as you reached for your phone, tucking the folder in between your arm and body.  You tapped away on the internet and skimmed though the news articles. You had gone to the older posts and quickly scanned for relating articles on the incident. The doors had dinged open again, you began stepping out of the elevator before you bumped into a shoulder.  You stumbled and quickly looked up to catch a glimpse at the amused face of Xiumin. Your eyes quickly flicked towards the screen above the doors. A computerized 20th flashed across the screen as Xiumin took a stand left of you.

"You definitely look like a manager now" he smiled as he pointed at your phone. You chuckled slightly as you clicked closed your phone and slid it into your pocket once more.

"What were you practicing?" you asked, as your gaze went back up to the screen.

"Chinese"

"Ahh, 学的怎么样?" (xue de zen me yang? How is studying going??) you asked, testing him slightly.

"还好,还好" (hai hao, hai hao, it's okay, it's okay) he replied, shaking his head lightly. You gave him a thumbs up and an encouraging smile.  The elevator had just inched past the 18th floor as you pulled up your right sleeve to check the time. 11:05am. A little less than 5 hours now, you thought as you did the simple calculation in your head.

"You wear your watch on your right hand?" Xiumin queried, intrigued.

"Hmm? Oh yeah, always been more comfortable" you replied, shaking Lay's watch to reposition it. As the doors dinged open for the nth time that day, you had glanced back up at the panel just to make sure it was the right floor. You had forgotten about the folder momentarily, and it threatened to fall as you slipped out of the elevator as. Xiumin had grasped the folder before it clang onto the ground and you were immensely relieved as another elevator sound would have driven you nuts. You must have gotten at least 3 SM folders by now and they don't seem to be getting reused. You frowned at the thought as Xiumin speedily rushed past, chanting late under his breath. He quickly shot back a beam and a small wave as he ran down the corridor. You pondered as where you should go next, you had a little less than five hours to spend 'supervising' exo-m, but had little clue as to where everyone was. So, you trailed back to the sixth door and stood outside, contemplating if you'd be interrupting or not. You contemplated further, and decided that it would be best not to walk in rudely. This left the dilemma of what you would do instead. You paced around as you thought of alternate options. You trailed back towards the elevator corridor and continued thinking of options. No good idea seemed to crop up in your mind and you grimaced in annoyance. As you were about to rest your legs as you slowly slid down the wall, a door clicked open and you snapped your head to see who it was.  A little further down Lay and Luhan had re-entered the hallway. They laughed and chatted whilst they dawdled their way closer. Lay had finally looked up and caught a glimpse of you, his lips tug upwards as he beckoned you over.

"What are you doing?" He asked, confused to as why you were standing near the elevators.

"Meeting with CEO" you replied, waving the folder.

"Ah" he nodded in understanding. He took a skim of the notice board, as Luhan rested his head on Lay’s shoulder, reading over it.

"Chen and Xiumin are still in the 7th room" Lay commented as he pointed towards the room that they had previously submerged from.

"Yeah, I'll go check-up on them" you replied, thanking Lay's comment, as Luhan didn't spare you a second glance, you weren't even sure he gave you a first glance. As you reached the doorway you heard a faint whisper.

"鹿晗,真是的,幽好一点儿,好吗?" (Luhan, zhen shi de, you hao yi dian er, hao ma? Luhan, for real? Could you be a little friendlier?)

Luhan gave a faint grunt and trailed inside the 6th room once more, with a glaring Lay behind him. As you entered the 7th room, you were enveloped in a melodic voice that would only be the distinct voice of Chen. The teacher looked up from his music and gave you a curt nod. You smiled back and took a seat on the black couch situated next to the doorway. The SM folder still clasped in your hands as your bag remained back at the practice room. Your phone had then given a slight buzz and you reached for it, careful not to draw too much attention.

1 New Message

~So young ~

Eun Mi-ah, I've missed you dearly . I hear you have a press conference tomorrow... wow. Best of luck to you! Fighting! Love So young.  

You frowned slightly as the phone screen blinked back at you. You scattered your brain thinking of possible ways So young had found out about the press conference. Didn't you just find out about it a while ago?  You blinked hastily as your screen out and you slid it back into your pocket. The cogs in your brain continued to turn and whirl as Xiumin had now began singing too and his voice drew you out from your trance. 

----

You had enjoyed the sit in on the vocal lesson, the current dilemma left your head momentarily as you enjoyed the mellow voices of Xiumin and Chen. Their lesson ended a little too quickly for your liking, you had wanted to enjoy their soulful harmonisations a little longer, but time be cruel, they had to stop. As the three of you entered the hallway once more the 9th door had opened simultaneously and soon Kris had also stepped out. You took a peek at your watch as the four of you huddled around the noticeboard. 12:30pm. Another treacherous three and a half hours left.  The elevator doors had dinged another time and you flinched quietly. Hyun Kyun had stepped out and gave a pleasant smile.

"We have a meeting now" he said as he beckoned you over. You quickly jogged over, the folder still clasped in your hands.  You joined him in the elevator as he pressed the 22nd level once more. "We're usually notified by text message but since you were already here, I figured I could just come find you" he notified as the two of you waited.

"Ah, I see… how often do we have meetings" You questioned, as the folder had only mentioned meetings lightly and that more information would be given.

"Mm, whenever some big events are happening, or an emergency has cropped up, there's no set schedule for them" He answered, looking upward as he tried to recollect his thoughts.

"So, how are you finding the job?" he wondered, his attention on you as the elevator slid past the 19th floor.

"Mmm, it's a little new at first, but I think I'm adjusting well" you replied, smiling and nodding in the process. He gave you a comforting pat as the doors opened. The two of you entered the hallway to see one of the conference rooms was getting ready. You had fallen a step behind Hyun Kyun, feeling a little foreign to the experience.

-----

Soon enough, the room was ready, you had taken a seat right of Hyun Kyun who sat right of Taehyun. The CEO and his assistant had taken seat across from the three of you. He smiled encouragingly at you as he began.

"Well, as you all know, exo's debut is just around the corner. Our preparations have been long and hardworking and it's almost time. As we all know, a little scuffle has arisen, but a press conference tomorrow will sort it all out." He nodded slightly towards you.  "I shall be leaving on the 24th for Korea, to finalise all plans there. A debut concert will be held on March the 31st at Seoul's Olympic Stadium, and a second shall be held in the Great Hall of the University of International Business and Economics here in Beijing on the 1st of April. Exo-m are planned to fly to Korea on the 28th and fly back with Exo-k on the night of the 31st. Their debut track 'Mama' will be released on the 8th of April and their EP released the next day. With the release of MAMA, both bands shall be performing and making their debut performance on music shows, with M in China and K in Korea respectively. A full run down of all events has been recorded for you." he nodded towards his assistant as she handed stapled forms to all three of you. You silently thanked the lord as the dates whirred around in your head. You took a silent breath and thought ahead of the busy schedule. You calmed yourself down and thought positively.

"Hyun Kyun and Eun Mi shall be travelling with exo-m in this period, whilst you, Taehyun, are going to stay in Beijing to make sure all plans go smoothly." Lee Soo Man directed his attention on Taehyun. He gave a reassuring nod.

"Before the concert, it is smart if everyone maintains a low profile, especially the boys. No schedules have been planned from now till the concert. The boys are to maintain practice schedules and rest well for their debut. Do we have any questions?" He concluded, clasping his hands on the table.

"Do the boys stay here after the Beijing concert? As exo-k shall be flying back to Korea for their music performance debut, shall exo-m be staying here in China till then?" You asked, slightly taken back at your boldness. The others in the room seemed to be slightly at shock too. After a second they all gave encouraging smiles and the CEO returned with his answer.

"Ah, yes. They shall be residing here and practicing for their performance debut. Is that all?" he paused and the three of you returned his question with nods.

"Taehyun, I'll see you in my office to finalise everything with your stay here in Beijing and we'll go over all the plans. If that's all, thank you and work hard. We can all do this smoothly" he smiled as he stood up, his assistant following him. Taehyun also stood up and said a quick goodbye and wished you two luck, rushing after the CEO. Hyun Kyun let out a big breath and nodded his head in understanding.

"Well haven't we got a big couple of weeks ahead of us" he commented, as he starting reading through the stapled sheets.

"You said it" you replied, as you did the same. It sure was going to be big. Huge even. 

 

-------

Are you guys excited? They're debuting soon! Woohoo :) 

Sorry for the wait ._.