[6] Missed opportunity

The tug of the heart

 

"Last schedule of the day" the manager announced as he entered the shopping complex's staff and guest parking lot. The group cheered as they slid out of the van, excited by the event they had coming up. But to you this was the event you were dreading the most for the day.

------

"Okay, it's time to put your training to action, you ready?" The manager smiled from the front of the line. The eight of you lined up waiting by the door of the shopping centre's office.  You gave a confident nod and you could feel your heart flutter when the mass sound of murmurs elevated from the audience as you stepped out. If this is their pre debut fan base, how large is their fan base going to be when they officially debut? You heart sank and you prayed that the company were working quickly to resolve the misunderstanding.

"Okay, let's go!" The manager shouted as he led the way to the stage placed in the middle of the centre. Scream and shouts erupted from the crowd once exo m came into view. It pierced through your ears and you winced slightly. Luhan was last in line and he waved happily at all the fans, smiling brightly. You put on a brave face and scurried behind Luhan keeping him from dawdling behind.

Everything seemed to move smoothly until just when Luhan was about to ascend the stage a fan had made a leapt toward him.

Rule eight: Fans are not permitted to come in physical contact with any members. Fail of prevention can result is severe consequences.

Your initiative kicked in and you blocked Luhan, your back facing the fan and muttered an apology to the fan.

"Sorry Ms, you'll have a chance to interact with the members during the fan meeting." She gave you a piercing look but retreated back into the crowd. Luhan looked at you, a small smile plastered on his face.

"Welcome everyone to the exo m’s fan meet. Please welcome exo m." The MC hollered though the microphone. His voice boomed through the speakers.

"We are one! Hello everyone we are exo m." they shouted as they bowed. The scream and shouts continued to get louder as they individually introduced themselves.

"Hello everyone, I am exo m's leader Kris, please enjoy today’s event."

"Hello everybody I am exo m's Zhang- Lay." The members all broke out into laughter and the fans also chortled with giggles as Lay handed the microphone to Luhan. You fought back your own chuckles and focused back into the present.

"Hello everyone I am exo-m's Luhan" shouted Luhan through the mic, smiling and waving all the while. His eyes glistened and his teeth plastered a goofy grin on his face. You scoffed internally.

How can just an angel face have such a dark personality you scowled silently, grimacing.

"Here, this is for all the fan gifts, you can supervise Kris, Lay and Luhan, whilst I supervise the rest" the manager whispered handing you a cardboard box.

"Also, I saw that save before Luhan got onto the stage, well done" he gave you a thumbs up, patting you on the back. You returned with a fighting sign and stood behind Kris, Lay and Luhan.

"Without further ado, let's start today’s event" the mc began, inviting the first fan onto the stage. She excitedly hopped onto the stage and shook each member’s hand, distributing gifts as she went along. As she got to Luhan she squealed slightly and handed him a blue gift bag.

"Thank you very much" he thanked as he set the gift down behind his feet. You swiped it up quickly and placed it into the box. As more fans poured onto the stage, more gifts were received and before long you were going back and forth, jogging slightly to keep up. Exo's ‘What is love’ played through the speakers and fans were singing along diligently as they waited, you hummed quickly to the tune and tapped your foot along. As one fan made her way to Kris she squealed excitedly and began bouncing up and down, Kris gave her a small smile and happily shook hands with her. She began babbling away and didn't seem to stop. The line of fans slowed and every fan seemed to be pleased to spend more time with the members. The manager gave you a nod and you intervened.

"Sorry Ms, but due to the fan amounts, we have to ask you to move along please" you pleaded quietly, the fan paused and nodded slightly, she bowed at Kris on last time before scurrying off the stage.  Kris gave you a considerate nod and a small thumbs up before handing you the gift bag. You took a slight peek and almost dropped the bag; inside sat a brand new shiny, white IPhone 4s. You scoffed and retracted back in your thoughts.

Can I just be an attractive young man in an immensely popular boy band please?

You questioned to yourself as you gently placed the gift in the box, careful not to squish its precious cargo. The event carried on and no more mishaps seemed to happen, although you did receive quite a bunch full of seething glares and scornful looks, you brushed them off and busied yourself with the gifts, focusing a little too hard at your shoes from time to time. When the last fan left the stage you picked up the now over flowing box and followed the second manger backstage.

"Let me tell you, the things the fans give them, it's like the fans are made of money or something" the manager joked as he eyed various electronics and name brand clothing.

"Tell me about it" you replied, placing down your own box.

"Thank you everyone for coming today's event, unfortunately that is all for today" the MC's voice shouted through the speakers again. A wave of protest and disappointed shouts chorused through the crowd as the group finished with their greeting.

--------

"Finally finished" Chen rejoiced as he sat happily in the back, rummaging through some gift bags. Xiumin had bundled together all the snacks their received and was happily munching on a bag of chips. The boxes had been stored in the back where it was easily accessible by the passengers. Luhan played with his new soccer ball whilst Lay fiddled with some new headphones. Tao had taken the courtesy of napping as he snuggled his new backpack. Kris instead had taken a collection of plush toys and were grasping onto them tightly, petting them gently. The manager’s phone rung through the air as he answered with his head set.

 "Mhmm, yeah, yep, okay, see you soon" he spoke, nodding all the way. "No dinner out today, sorry guys" he apologised, ending the call.

"That's okay bro, next time yeah?" Xiumin mumbled, his mouth filled with snacks.

--------

The living room was piled with gifts upon gifts upon gifts. The boys had emptied out the two boxes and were happily rummaging through them. The snacks were piled in the middle as the boys sat circling them. Clothes, shoes and accessories were strewn across the carpet. It seemed that the fans had all gotten them all a brand spanking new phone along with many more expensive electronics. You sat on the couch, not wanting to move. Your legs and arms felt tired and you wanted nothing more than to just nap.

"Noona, can you put your number in my phone?" Tao asked as he bounced over to you, his phone in his palm, a panda charm dangling from it.

"Sure?" you replied unsurely as you tapped in your number before handing it back to him.

"I GOT HER NUMBER" Tao shouted in delight as he waved his phone around.

"Me too" Chen called, running towards you.

"Let her rest" Kris called as he also stood up, pulling Chen back towards him.

"Thanks Kris" you mumbled as you trailed up the stairs, escaping into your room and falling onto your bed and straight into sleep.

-------

Lay had rummaged through most of his gift bags and was now down to his last one. He opened up the yellow bag and found a silver watch resting in it. He took out from the box. It had fit perfectly and he smiled down on it. An idea had suddenly struck him as he got up from his spot.

"I'll be back soon" he called as he pulled his jacket hoodie over his entire head.

--------

The rest of the group had finally finished unpacking and were beginning to clean up the room. It didn't take long before the room was set back to its original state and the unused gifts were put back into the boxes.

"Rock, paper, scissors, losers takes boxes to the storage room" Tao challenged as he gathered around the members.

"ROCK PAPER SCISSORS" the shouted in unison as different gestures were exposed.

Kris - Rock

Luhan - Rock

Xiumin- Rock

Chen- Scissors

Tao- Scissors

Kris, Luhan and Xiumin celebrated and plonked themselves onto the couch, turning the TV on.

"Ugh why" Chen and Tao whined as he began picking up the boxes.

"You just are terrible at scissors paper rock obviously" Luhan retorted, laughing slightly.

----------

You dried the last plate, as Lay wiped his hands on the tea towel. The two of you volunteered to do the dishes again and it seemed it would be like that from now on. Your body was still fatigued and you planned on taking a nice long shower before falling onto your bed, and sleeping forever. You set the last plate in the draw and smiled at Lay whilst hanging the tea towel.

"Here" Lay handed you a navy blue box. You took it and his fingers brushed against yours. You opened the box slowly to reveal a brand new, silver Marc Jacobs watch. Lay pulled up his sleeve and showed you his matching one.

"I was made aware that someone needed a new watch, and today a fan just so happened to decide to give me one, what better than to be matching" Lay beamed playing with his watch.

You beamed right back at him.

"Honestly Lay, thank you so so much, wow, this is so thoughtful and nice, no wonder you have fans." Lay gave you a disapproving look but smiled all the while.

"Anyways, you must be tired" he mumbled rubbing his neck. As if on cue, you let out a yawn and your body felt much heavier. You nodded silently in agreement as he guided you up the stairs, his hands on your shoulders.

"Goodnight" he called as he trailed the other direction when the two of you reached the second level.

"Night, and thank you so much" You waved the box as he waved back. You gathered up your things and made your way to the bathroom door.

"How come you were so hard to see the night before?" You cursed at the door quietly, glaring at it.

"Make yourself more seen next time" you muttered to it before opening the door and sliding inside.

------

Luhan's desk was littered with scrunched up pieces of paper, his handwriting visible on each paper scrap. He gripped onto a box and note tightly as he sat on his bed. He replayed what he had seen earlier and his hold on the box tightened.

"I was made aware that someone needed a new watch, and today a fan just so happened to decide to give me one, what better than to be matching" Lay beamed playing with his watch.

He closed his eyes as he let out a scoff. He threw the box onto the desk and scrunched the paper in his hand, aiming it at the bin.

It landed safely inside and Luhan fell back onto his bed, he gave one last scoff before making himself more comfortable, wrapping his body in his tangle of sheets. The note had unfurled slightly and his delicate handwriting was shown.

Keep it classy eh?

 

 

 

-------

Sorry.