[7] Dance Practice

The tug of the heart

Your watch gleamed in the sunshine. The first sign of good weather showed and you stretched in the golden droplets. The sun warmed up your back as you waited by the van. The engine was quietly rumbling and the manager was inside hurrying to round up the members. You had slept snugly and was ready for the new day. Tao had already claimed shotgun and was snoozing in the seat. Lay had stored himself in the back corner with Kris beside him. You stacked your handbag in the back as well next to Kris. In it contained all your belongings and today’s schedule.

Exo-m schedule 23/03/12

06:30 - Choreography training

--:-- - End.

Lastly, Chen and Xiumin had claimed a spot in the middle. Luhan was last out, claiming that someone had ruffled his bed sheets; he shot an accusing glare at Tao as he slid into the van next to Chen.

-------

Each member carried their own duffel bag, so the group was divided once they got to the elevator.

"I'll take them up first and we'll be on level 17" the manager called as the doors shut on him. Luhan, Tao and Xiumin fluttered around the elevators. Tao had locked his arms around Xiumin's neck and slept on his shoulder. Xiumin was tickling his nose, annoying him greatly. The door dinged open and the boys piled in. You pushed the 17 button and up you went. Tao was still resting on Xiumin as he began murmuring into Tao's ear. Tao had raised his arm threateningly. Luhan shuffled around and stood next to you. He glanced down at your wrist and smirked.

"Keeping it classy?" He commented his pearly whites shined through his lopsided grin.

"As always" you retorted, blinking back at him. He gave you a scoff before focusing his attention down at his hand phone. You shot him a scowl before the doors opened. Just what exactly were his intentions you thought cryptically, as you hid Lay’s watch further up your sleeve. As the elevator doors lurched open, the boys had stepped out into the hallways littered with multiple doors. You followed and counted each door that passed. The three had stopped in front of the sixth door and let themselves in. The walls were decorated in cloud patterns and to the side a wall was dedicated to other sm artists. (We all know this place yeah?) Kris, Chen and Lay had already changed and were beginning to warm up. Lay jogged over and flashed his watch. You smiled back and tugged up your own sleeve revealing the matching one. He beamed brightly and continued stretching.

"How was your sleep?" He questioned as he stretched his arms.

You closed your eyes nodding, your lips curling upwards. You nodded in satisfaction as Lay laughed.

"You?" You asked back, opening your eyes. He gave a quick thumbs up and lifted his leg, bringing it up to his chest.

"How long do you think we'll be here?' You continued, looking around the room. A few couches were placed in the corner and the air conditioner was beside the door. A stereo was set next to the couch and that's all that was there. The hard wooden floor shined in the light and the windows were shut closed.

"A while?" He answered, widening his eyes at you. You squinted your eyes at him.

"No, really? Thanks Captain Obvious." Kris replied, joining the conversation. He leaned on Lay as he stretched his leg. Lay gave a mischievous grin and jumped to his left, wriggling out of Kris's grasp. Kris had lost his balance and fell forwards. He regained himself before he had hit the floor. Chen let out a hearty chuckle and he came to pat Kris on the back, giving Lay a high five. By now, the other members had arrived back and were also stretching. The second manager followed in, followed by another man. They came over and the second guy smiled at you.

"Hi, I'm the other manager; they sure need a billion people 'managing' them. He rolled his eyes and smiled. You laughed at his remark and introduced yourself.

"Hi, I'm Eun Mi" you extended your hand and he gave a firm shake.

"I'm Taehyun, but please just call me oppa" he winked. "Kidding, kidding, just Taehyun will do" he retreated, as Tao glared at him.

"Oh, and I'm Hyun Kyun" the first manager grinned sheepishly, scratching the back of his neck.

----

"Let’s begin" Hyun Kyun called as he set himself down on the couch. The music echoed through the room as you also took a seat on the couch. You watched curiously as the members lined along the room.

'Listen! 感觉到没有?' Luhan began singing as he skipped his way towards the centre. The other members moved in unison behind. Although, you were already well aware of how talented each member was individually. Together, their talents seemed to shine through. You marvelled at their precision and team work. Unknowingly a grin formed on your face that didn't go away even as the song finished. The two managers stood at the song replayed through the speakers again.

"Well done boys!" they shouted, patting the boys on the back as you paused the replayed song. The group practiced a numerous amount of more times as you absentmindedly hummed along quietly, before the first manager, closest to the stereo, paused the song before it could replay again.

"Wah, perfect guys. Well done! Take a breather; we'll be back in five minutes. Then Mama!" he called excitedly as he skipped through the songs on the iPod.  Meanwhile, the second manager's phone began ringing, his ringtone chorused through the room as he made his way out the door. The members collapsed onto the floor, desperately reaching for their water bottles and towels. You took this time to stand up and stretch. You dawdled your way over to the group, sprawled over the polished floor.

"Ah, toilet" Chen and Tao shouted as they fought their way to the door.

"Stupids" Xiumin called as he lay on the floor, downing his water. Kris had retied his golden brown hair in an adorable bobble. You giggled quietly as Luhan flicked it around, Kris glared down Luhan as he high fived Xiumin. Lay stood, stretching once more, his towel hung from his neck and his torso rose with each breath he tried to steady.

"What do you think Eun Mi?" Xiumin queried as he looked up, still sprawled over the floor.

"Amazing" you held two thumbs up and smiled.

"As always" he returned your grin.

"Hey, I got to run for today, well done today and work hard" Taehyun called as his body rested against the half opened door. The group sent their goodbyes as he escaped through the door. A second later, Chen had walked in, his head held high; his face plastered a smug grin.

"First, as always" he proclaimed, raising his fist in celebration, Tao on the other hand, slouching behind him.

----

"Okay! Back to practice" Hyun Kyun called as he clapped the members up. The members quickly formed a triangle, kneeling on the floor. You admired the choreographer's unique taste and looked on in anticipation. The song began and you were immediately hooked, the chanting pumped through your veins, building the tension and thrill. The members reached for the ceiling and slowly stood. The song tore through and it didn't disappoint and neither did the boys. Their movements were crisp and practically in perfect unison. The choreography had consisted of multiple little dance sequences, from strong crisp movements to soft, fluid movements. As the chorus played through, the signature move of pointing their thumbs upwards and swiping their bottom lip stuck in your mind, the song was met with a bridge where the group focused on their technical dance moves. Xiumin had made his way to the centre now, his expression fierce yet charismatic. He began roaring as the lyrics spilled out of his mouth, intensifying the song. Kris took centre stage and growled out more lyrics. You were far too overwhelmed at the suddenness as your mouth hang agape. The bridge ended and you were thrown back into the semi-Latin chanting. By now the song had earned a well-deserved spot in your favourites list.

----

"Well done guys, finished group performances for today. You know the drill" Hyun Kyun announced as he began turning the stereo off.

The boys quickly hobbled out of the room, towels and water bottles following. You quietly trailed in their footsteps and peeped through the open door. The boys gathered around a notice board pinned with multiple flyers, situated on the opposing wall of the elevators.

"Come on Lay" Chen and Luhan called as they made their way back towards the practice rooms, Lay looked away from the notice board, his face plastered a look of pure lost.

"Where are we going?" he called as he slowly followed the other two, blinking rapidly, his mouth slightly ajar.

"Vocal training" they called back as Chen pulled onto Lay's wrist, making him follow faster. Xiumin on the other hand waved a little hand at you before he disappeared behind the corner and could be heard hopping into the elevator. Tao had slumped his way back over to you, a pout clearly visible on his lips.

"What's wrong?" You asked, your eyebrows raising.

"Kung fu training" he sighed, resting his head on your shoulder.

"Work hard, we're all counting on you" Kris smile as he patted Tao on the head as he also filed through the door again. Tao instantly grinned and trailed behind Kris.

"What do you have?" You questioned Kris as he set down his towel.

"Rap" he replied clinging onto his water bottle, taking a swig full.

"Well, good luck" you encouraged as Kris also left the practice room. You turned around to see Tao stretching in the middle of the ground.

"Do you want to watch me noona?" he beamed, glancing up at you.

"This is basically free time for the managers" Hyun Kyun called as he tapped away on his phone. "Just be back at…"

"4pm, when they're all 'officially done' " You finished, picturing the folder containing the guidelines clearly in your mind.

"Yeah, exactly" Hyun Kyun smiled happily. Tao shot you a thumbs up and continued stretching.

"Feel free to check up on the other members" Hyun Kyun commented as he left.

"Who are you checking?" shouted Tao as a mischievous grin spread across his face.

"Kris" he called back, earning an even wider beam from the younger.

"The manager wants to see you" Hyuk Kyun smiled as he slipped his head back into the practice room. You automatically tensed and ran through multiple possibilities as to why the CEO would call you... Did you not do a satisfying job? Did another scandal break out, you cursed slightly at not reading through latest articles recently. Could it be, everything was already cleared and you could go? At the last thought you heart twisted and your stomach gurgled uncomfortably. Leaving wasn't a desired option right now, you had just arrived, although reluctantly, you had actually enjoyed your stay so far.

"Oh, can I please get your number, for convenience problems? I forgot to ask earlier" The manager smiled shyly as he held his phone out to you.

"HAH! I already have it!" Tao teased as he stuck his tongue out. The manager shot him a judging look as you tapped your number onto his phone. 

 

--------

Please, don't hurt me. It's been like 4 months. Eep.